🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Hey all, my wife and I just released the first episode of our podcast - Magnum, She Wrote - on Soundcloud! It will be coming to iTunes soon :) No obligation to listen, but I thought I'd throw this up here.

• Like 7

Half way through and very entertaining! I give it a CBB rating of C+!

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, Cameron H. said:

Hey all, my wife and I just released the first episode of our podcast - Magnum, She Wrote - on Soundcloud! It will be coming to iTunes soon :) No obligation to listen, but I thought I'd throw this up here.

I am furious with envy at what a great idea this is. Anyway, I was a huge Magnum fan growing up (and I still love the show, including the new one) and my wife fucking loves MSW so yes, we will be listening.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, Cameron H. said:

This is everything I never knew I wanted?! Please talk about how disturbingly long and supermodel like Tom Selleck's legs are? Heidi Klum who?! Also clearly Jessica is the world's GREATEST serial killer.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for your support. I'm amazed by you all. I just wanted to let you all know that it is now up on iTunes. If you could take the time to rate/review that would mean the absolute world to us. Thank you all so, so much :) 

A new episode - the first Magnum ep - should be out tomorrow. 

• Like 3

I get chronic migraines and I just got the first I've had in a month (and it's been a pretty bad one. I've been mainlineing episodes of  podcasts and between Nicole Byer and this I have a reason to not become cryogenicly frozen like Walt Disney.  Also I think you guys have something to do with Murder She Wrote being on prime now!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

I get chronic migraines and I just got the first I've had in a month (and it's been a pretty bad one. I've been mainlineing episodes of  podcasts and between Nicole Byer and this I have a reason to not become cryogenicly frozen like Walt Disney.  Also I think you guys have something to do with Murder She Wrote being on prime now!

OMG! Thanks Gigi! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I'm going to give this a listen while I'm stuck in airports tomorrow :) 

Thank you 😀

I cannot WAIT for you guys to get to A Dog's Life it's one of the few episodes I knew before I started watching/ listening . Its...next level. I would pay so much money, too much money, I would bankrupt myself, to have June watch it and give her opinion

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

I cannot WAIT for you guys to get to A Dog's Life it's one of the few episodes I knew before I started watching/ listening . Its...next level. I would pay so much money, too much money, I would bankrupt myself, to have June watch it and give her opinion

It’s the next Murder She Wrote episode we’ll be recording! :) (We’ve got a Magnum before that though...) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

It’s the next Murder She Wrote episode we’ll be recording! :) (We’ve got a Magnum before that though...) 

I literally physically rubbed my hands together like an old timey evil banker about to close down the community center. Like this: 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 9:05 PM, Cameron H. said:

Thank you 😀

This is a really delightful show! And now of course I'm starting through Magnum, PI because I've never actually seen any full episodes before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

This is a really delightful show! And now of course I'm starting through Magnum, PI because I've never actually seen any full episodes before. 

Thank you so much!

Missed opportunity to change your last name.  Cameron Dameron-Hill would have been fantastic. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 1:19 PM, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I've only seen a handful a few years ago on my last visit with my paternal grandma. I clearly remember the episode we found was a two parter with Carol Burnett where they got locked in a bank safe and I remember I was shocked by his legs. Truly the man has the gams of a supermodel in her prime. Heidi Klum and her $2 million legs clearly learned everything from watching Magnum PI. How a pair of legs in Germany were watching tv and learning to be perfect I don't know but that's my theory.  

• Like 2

Yay the killer dog episode!!! Did not disappoint!!!!

So what I know about American fox hunting based on a cozy mystery series I loved reading as a kid you don't kill the fox. You "run it to ground" . You're probably not even going to see a fox while you ride. The British fox hunting tradition is much different and I believe is the kind that kills ? Women also ride English saddle. Fox hunting is really more of a ridding  and a social thing. The hunt breakfast is a *huge* thing.  Even the people who don't go on the ride go to the breakfast. The area around where I live is very rural suburban if you can imagine such a thing. The tiny town next to me is known for its horses. I actually know someone whose grandfather started their hunt club and if I work with her at my book sale soon I can ask her to explain it to me in more detail. I know there are some hunt clubs that do this thing that lay a scent out for the dogs to find and don't bother with a fox at all.

Jessica is wearing brown because she hasn't earned her "colors ".  The men in red ( technically called" pinks") are men who have earned their colors from being good riders, following tradition, etc , The Master of The Hunt,The Hunstmen, and the other hunt officials. if you saw a guy in a black jacket he also is without his colors.

Women wear black even if they have earned their colors because... Tradition.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

Yay the killer dog episode!!! Did not disappoint!!!!

So what I know about American fox hunting based on a cozy mystery series I loved reading as a kid you don't kill the fox. You "run it to ground" . You're probably not even going to see a fox while you ride. The British fox hunting tradition is much different and I believe is the kind that kills ? Women also ride English saddle. Fox hunting is really more of a ridding  and a social thing. The hunt breakfast is a *huge* thing.  Even the people who don't go on the ride go to the breakfast. The area around where I live is very rural suburban if you can imagine such a thing. The tiny town next to me is known for its horses. I actually know someone whose grandfather started their hunt club and if I work with her at my book sale soon I can ask her to explain it to me in more detail. I know there are some hunt clubs that do this thing that lay a scent out for the dogs to find and don't bother with a fox at all.

Jessica is wearing brown because she hasn't earned her "colors ".  The men in red ( technically called" pinks") are men who have earned their colors from being good riders, following tradition, etc , The Master of The Hunt,The Hunstmen, and the other hunt officials. if you saw a guy in a black jacket he also is without his colors.

Women wear black even if they have earned their colors because... Tradition.

That’s fascinating! I just shared with Erin. Thank you very much! :) 

• Like 2

My wife (who owns the MSW complete series DVDs plus the movies) has been bingeing season 1 this weekend. I'm the opposite of others here, I grew up watching Magnum and have seen the entire series at least a couple times. I'm going to have to start watching it again and catch up on the podcast. I did see MSW periodically back in the day - especially the crossover episodes, obvs.

My main takeaway from MSW season 1 is how much travelling Jessica does for a busy novelist, and what an insane who's who of character actors every episode is. My wife is currently watching one where she's on a cruise ship with her neice and Leslie Nielsen is the captain!

Edited to ask: do you guys have an RSS feed for the show? Would make it easier to add the show to Plex and similar apps for automatic updates.

Editing again because I'm listening to the first Magnum episode and am just gonna make some comments (possible spoilers):

I don't know this for sure but one thing about the first season of Magnum that I think is probably true is that the show got sold to CBS on the strength of co-creator Glen Larson, who made stuff like Battlestar Galactica and Knight Rider. As you guys observed, there are a lot of girls in bikinis, car chases and gunplay and just general cheese. I suspect that the other co-creator, Donald Bellisario, exerted a greater influence as the series went on (and of course, Selleck did himself). Bellisario is super into military-based drama - apart from Quantum Leap, he went on to create J.A.G. and NCIS, both of which are also about Navy cops and their justice system, which of course was the job Magnum quit before becoming a PI.

In your copy of the pilot, is it the better-known Mike Post theme that you hear at the start? The first season used a different theme for a while by a dude called Ian Freebairn-Smith for the first half dozen episodes, then they introduced the much more dynamic theme that is still used today. Note the old lowercase logo too.

There is a character in the pilot - Felipe - who gets referenced much later on in the series in what I consider to be one of the true unresolved mysteries of the show.

I think "Ski" in the pilot is the same actor who plays Magnum's guy on the inside at the Navy, Mac Reynolds, who left the show briefly for another series and then comes back as yet another character.

Your line about Magnum acting like a 12 year old made me laugh because I was 12 when I watched this pilot back in the day. It's true, there is gross stuff about all of the main characters early on - Magnum leering, T.C.'s pretty racist characterization, Rick's weird Bogart act- that get dropped by season 2. Again, I blame Larson mainly, and I suppose the other stuff that was popular on TV at the time - Dukes of Hazzard, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels.

Robert Loggia was in an episode of MSW we watched today. :) My favourite role of his is here though:

All right, gonna stop jabbering at you now. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

My wife (who owns the MSW complete series DVDs plus the movies) has been bingeing season 1 this weekend. I'm the opposite of others here, I grew up watching Magnum and have seen the entire series at least a couple times. I'm going to have to start watching it again and catch up on the podcast. I did see MSW periodically back in the day - especially the crossover episodes, obvs.

My main takeaway from MSW season 1 is how much travelling Jessica does for a busy novelist, and what an insane who's who of character actors every episode is. My wife is currently watching one where she's on a cruise ship with her neice and Leslie Nielsen is the captain!

Edited to ask: do you guys have an RSS feed for the show? Would make it easier to add the show to Plex and similar apps for automatic updates.

We do! I’ll post it here tomorrow :) 

15 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

HOLD. UP.  There are Murder, She Wrote movies??? 😱

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

HOLD. UP.  There are Murder, She Wrote movies??? 😱

Yes, I believe there were 4 TV movies that are sold as a separate DVD from the series set.

There are a bunch of tie-in novels as well, and pretty sure those are still coming out. There was a novelization of the Magnum pilot too which I used to own but as I recall it was not great.

• Like 2