Jump to content
Elektra Boogaloo

Episode 237.5 — Prequel to 238

Recommended Posts

The misogyny of Valerian, how to socially distance a date, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul offers advice as he opens up the Paul Help Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Valerian, and June stops by to talk about how The Jane Club is staying connected with its community during this time. Plus, find out which movie will be covered next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out The Jane Club over at www.janeclub.com

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

 

OH MAN! Adam Scott is coming back. I love mocking Vin Diesel (anyone see the video of him at the ENDGAME premiere? I think he was very high.)  Scared to watch Bloodshot. I am a little bit familiar with the comic book character but not with the movie. 

Paul also mentioned they had a backlog of eps. What are those? Should I watch one of those? I really don’t want to watch TRANSFORMERS. I feel like we are negotiating  with terrorists!!! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone have a place where I can rent Bloodshot for less than $20? I really don't want to spend that kind of money to watch a movie once by myself in quarantine.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Does anyone have a place where I can rent Bloodshot for less than $20? I really don't want to spend that kind of money to watch a movie once by myself in quarantine.

I haven’t listened to the ep yet, but that feels kind of like a BS choice. I mean, nothing says we have to watch every single movie, but a lot of us like to. With the current state of the world being as is, and a lot of people struggling, it feels really tone deaf to choose a movie you have buy (on iTunes) for $20. 🙁

  • Like 3
  • Hedgehog 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I haven’t listened to the ep yet, but that feels kind of like a BS choice. I mean, nothing says we have to watch every single movie, but a lot of us like to. With the current state of the world being as is, and a lot of people struggling, it feels really tone deaf to choose a movie you have buy (on iTunes) for $20. 🙁

Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. They released an episode from behind a paywall then dropped a $20 movie? Kind of a strange timing thing in my mind. I can technically afford it but I was paying $20 a month for functionally unlimited movies in theaters. I'm probably going to skip this episode unless I can find it just to rent for a few bucks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. They released an episode from behind a paywall then dropped a $20 movie? Kind of a strange timing thing in my mind. I can technically afford it but I was paying $20 a month for functionally unlimited movies in theaters. I'm probably going to skip this episode unless I can find it just to rent for a few bucks.

Yeah, I'm okay as well (Thank God), but it just seems like it's a movie that could have waited until it was at least available to rent. People are having trouble paying rent, there's price gouging going on, people are making tough decision on which bills to pay, and you're going to choose a $20 movie instead of something more widely or cheaply available? We don't need to buy EVERY Vin Diesel movie.

Someone over on Reddit also said they were talking about doing Cats soon. Which at least you can rent, but it's still $6, which is better, but still isn't exactly super cheap to rent.

I'm undecided on Bloodshot. Maybe I'll get it, but my gut says no. I'd rather donate $20 to a food bank or something.  Maybe I should just boycott it out of principle...

e8086f912058480d20afbf3f49b9f341--best-q 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

It’s not much, but here are the first 9 minutes of Bloodshot:

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Paul also mentioned they had a backlog of eps. What are those? Should I watch one of those? I really don’t want to watch TRANSFORMERS. I feel like we are negotiating  with terrorists!!! 

They still haven’t aired their second film from Seattle (after Fateful Findings), a psychedelic sci-fi horror movie with John Huston called The Visitor. Both the movie and the show were a lot of fun. The movie has been available for free on   library streaming services like Hoopla and might be available on Netflix or something.

I don’t want to watch transformers either, but if they did it for a live stream—like Paul has done movies for Unspooled—you really wouldn’t have to. The Unspooled eps have been a lot of fun but it definitely helps to have watched the movie beforehand, whereas the Transformer movies are just CGI tin cans beating the shit out of each other. The fun there would just come from watching the gang riff on it. 

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, I'm okay as well (Thank God), but it just seems like it's a movie that could have waited until it was at least available to rent. People are having trouble paying rent, there's price gouging going on, people are making tough decision on which bills to pay, and you're going to choose a $20 movie instead of something more widely or cheaply available? We don't need to buy EVERY Vin Diesel movie.

Someone over on Reddit also said they were talking about doing Cats soon. Which at least you can rent, but it's still $6, which is better, but still isn't exactly super cheap to rent.

I'm undecided on Bloodshot. Maybe I'll get it, but my gut says no. I'd rather donate $20 to a food bank or something.  Maybe I should just boycott it out of principles...

e8086f912058480d20afbf3f49b9f341--best-q 

RE: Bloodshot—the film just seems boring and I won’t rent it. My feeling about HDTGM’s movie choices fall into two groups:

(1)films that are fun to hear them talk about but I have no desire to watch (which is about 2/3 of the movies,honestly, and includes most modern blockbusters like The Meg and Skyscraper).

(2) Films that are batshit enough to be funny/entertaining on their own (Fateful Findings, The Visitor, The Room, Death Spa, etc.).

Bloodshot falls into the first category for me. Yeah, I wish they’d pick something more interesting (and cheaper to get), but I’ve felt that way about other movies they’ve picked and I’m sure the episode will still be funny. Also, I appreciate that they’re working hard to provide podcasts for free during this stressful time (with Paul—in particular—banging out free content nonstop). There have been times where I’ve really needed that entertainment, so it’s hard for me to get that critical of what they want to cover. There’s always the next episode!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the video, @DrGuts1003. I didn't realize this was $20. I may just watch this and read the Wikipedia synopsis. It's not like I actually enjoy Vin Diesel movies. I mostly enjoy how much the "family" does. So.

 

Does anyone else think Vin Diesel is pissed he only voices Groot in the MCU? Because for years he has been talking about being Black Bolt and I am convinced he is the only one who wants this. (Especially since an INHUMANS TV show with this character came out and he didn't play that character.) And BLOODSHOT was supposed to launch a Valiant Comics Cinematic Universe. Haha.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Bloodshot falls into the first category for me. Yeah, I wish they’d pick something more interesting (and cheaper to get), but I’ve felt that way about other movies they’ve picked and I’m sure the episode will still be funny. Also, I appreciate that they’re working hard to provide podcasts for free during this stressful time (with Paul—in particular—banging out free content nonstop). There have been times where I’ve really needed that entertainment, so it’s hard for me to get that critical of what they want to cover. There’s always the next episode!

And that’s fine. I have no doubt the episode will be funny. And I don’t necessarily object to them picking a movie you pay for (although options would be nice). It’s the timing that I think is lame. According to iTunes, Bloodshot will be available to rent in two weeks (May 5th). Why do this movie right now? Why not *at least* wait until then so more people can *maybe* enjoy it?

And of course I appreciate free entertainment, but for many listeners, part of the fun of the show is watching the movie ourselves and discussing them here and elsewhere. That can relieve some of the insanity too. 

I mean, there’s no way Bloodshot is a “must-do-right-now-and-pay-full-price” kind of movie. (Personally, I don’t think any of these movies ever are, but particularly right now.) Of course, they can chose whatever they want, and we can likewise choose whether we want to pay for a shitty Vin Diesel movie, but it’s still disappointing.

Speaking for myself, I’m 95% sure I’m not going to buy it, especially now that I know I can rent it soon, and I probably won’t bother listening to the episode until I can see the movie as that’s how I prefer to enjoy HDTGM.

As much as I love HDTGM, I don’t think they’re above mild criticism. They have absolutely listened to our complaints before and made concessions. As long as we’re not being dicks, I feel like it’s all good. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

And that’s fine. I have no doubt the episode will be funny. And I don’t necessarily object to them picking a movie you pay for (although options would be nice). It’s the timing that I think is lame. According to iTunes, Bloodshot will be available to rent in two weeks (May 5th). Why do this movie right now? Why not *at least* wait until then so more people can *maybe* enjoy it?

And of course I appreciate free entertainment, but for many listeners, part of the fun of the show is watching the movie ourselves and discussing them here and elsewhere. That can relieve some of the insanity too. 

I mean, there’s no way Bloodshot is a “must-do-right-now-and-pay-full-price” kind of movie. (Personally, I don’t think any of these movies ever are, but particularly right now.) Of course, they can chose whatever they want, and we can likewise choose whether we want to pay for a shitty Vin Diesel movie, but it’s still disappointing.

Speaking for myself, I’m 95% sure I’m not going to buy it, especially now that I know I can rent it soon, and I probably won’t bother listening to the episode until I can see the movie as that’s how I prefer to enjoy HDTGM.

As much as I love HDTGM, I don’t think they’re above mild criticism. They have absolutely listened to our complaints before and made concessions. As long as we’re not being dicks, I feel like it’s all good. 

If no one has yet, I could text Paul and see if he would be open to holding off on this episode a few more weeks until it is at least available to rent.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

If no one has yet, I could text Paul and see if he would be open to holding off on this episode a few more weeks until it is at least available to rent.

I was thinking of doing that myself...

Honestly, if most people are cool with it, that’s fine. I just don’t get the point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

If no one has yet, I could text Paul and see if he would be open to holding off on this episode a few more weeks until it is at least available to rent.

This is a great idea.

On one hand, I don't want to bother Paul or make him/earwolf/June/Jason feel like they made a bad decision. On the other hand, $20 is kind of a lot for some people and it's kind of a lot for even more people right now. This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situations since the movie has already been announced. But they pulled an audible by changing Dragonheart to The Boy Next Door once. So, idk.

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

And that’s fine. I have no doubt the episode will be funny. And I don’t necessarily object to them picking a movie you pay for (although options would be nice). It’s the timing that I think is lame. According to iTunes, Bloodshot will be available to rent in two weeks (May 5th). Why do this movie right now? Why not *at least* wait until then so more people can *maybe* enjoy it?

And of course I appreciate free entertainment, but for many listeners, part of the fun of the show is watching the movie ourselves and discussing them here and elsewhere. That can relieve some of the insanity too. 

I mean, there’s no way Bloodshot is a “must-do-right-now-and-pay-full-price” kind of movie. (Personally, I don’t think any of these movies ever are, but particularly right now.) Of course, they can chose whatever they want, and we can likewise choose whether we want to pay for a shitty Vin Diesel movie, but it’s still disappointing.

Speaking for myself, I’m 95% sure I’m not going to buy it, especially now that I know I can rent it soon, and I probably won’t bother listening to the episode until I can see the movie as that’s how I prefer to enjoy HDTGM.

As much as I love HDTGM, I don’t think they’re above mild criticism. They have absolutely listened to our complaints before and made concessions. As long as we’re not being dicks, I feel like it’s all good. 

You're saying exactly what I'm thinking on this. Because I personally find the show much more enjoyable if I've watched the movie, I don't listen to episodes until I've seen it. Now that I know it's up for rent in a couple weeks, I'm fine waiting and I'm sure I'll like the episode when I get to it. The world isn't waiting with bated breath for my next C&O.

It's mildly frustrating when a movie is especially hard to find or expensive when a ton of people have multiple streaming subscriptions (acknowledging that even that comes from a place of privilege). I want them to do the movies they want. I don't want them to limit everything to Netflix, Prime or Hulu. But when there's something like Prelude To A Kiss that involves joining Hulu/Prime then getting Starz on top of that, it feels like a bit much (though I'm very glad I saw Prelude To A Kiss). I'd really like to avoid another run like Bratz, Garbage Pail Kids, Ninja Terminator, Hard Ticket To Hawaii where a ton of movies in a short period where really hard to access.

Also, I realize I probably sound like this right now:

951850.jpg?b64lines=QVMgQSBMT1lBTCBsaXN0
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

This is a great idea.

On one hand, I don't want to bother Paul or make him/earwolf/June/Jason feel like they made a bad decision. On the other hand, $20 is kind of a lot for some people and it's kind of a lot for even more people right now. This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situations since the movie has already been announced. But they pulled an audible by changing Dragonheart to The Boy Next Door once. So, idk.

You're saying exactly what I'm thinking on this. Because I personally find the show much more enjoyable if I've watched the movie, I don't listen to episodes until I've seen it. Now that I know it's up for rent in a couple weeks, I'm fine waiting and I'm sure I'll like the episode when I get to it. The world isn't waiting with bated breath for my next C&O.

It's mildly frustrating when a movie is especially hard to find or expensive when a ton of people have multiple streaming subscriptions (acknowledging that even that comes from a place of privilege). I want them to do the movies they want. I don't want them to limit everything to Netflix, Prime or Hulu. But when there's something like Prelude To A Kiss that involves joining Hulu/Prime then getting Starz on top of that, it feels like a bit much (though I'm very glad I saw Prelude To A Kiss). I'd really like to avoid another run like Bratz, Garbage Pail Kids, Ninja Terminator, Hard Ticket To Hawaii where a ton of movies in a short period where really hard to access.

Also, I realize I probably sound like this right now:

951850.jpg?b64lines=QVMgQSBMT1lBTCBsaXN0
 

I mean, I wouldn’t feel bad about it. I think it’s a valid criticism (obviously ☺️). As long as we’re not being assholes, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying, “Hang on a second...”

I did text Paul, btw. No telling if he’ll get it, and maybe it’s too late even if he does, but I at least tried to bring it to his attention.

Again, I don’t mind paying money for these movies, and I’ve bought my fair share, I just think the timing for this one is kind of bad. 

And, in my own crotchety way, I’m kind of thinking, “Okay, renting Valerian was $4, Bloodshot is $20, and if the Redditor was right that he heard Jason say they will be doing Cats soon, that’s another $6....” 

Again, it’s not a dealbreaker, but also that’s $30 fucking bucks to rent two shitty movies and own another one. And, despite what Paul said, we can’t exactly “get it at the library” and a not-even-available-to-rent new movie ain’t gonna be on Hoopla.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

 

6 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

(1)films that are fun to hear them talk about but I have no desire to watch (which is about 2/3 of the movies,honestly, and includes most modern blockbusters like The Meg and Skyscraper).

 (2) Films that are batshit enough to be funny/entertaining on their own (Fateful Findings, The Visitor, The Room, Death Spa, etc.).

I can attest it's more #1 than #2 by that criteria. I saw the film in theaters as its international release was in February before any lockdown here in Kuala Lumpur. I paid about 15RM which is about US$4.50.  I would say it was worth that price. 20 US$? Woof.  

I often don't watch the movies they do for the show, moreso because simply Time is a factor, but I can say it *does* enhance the podcast if you do. And Bloodshot is sure to have some *great* HDTGM moments, though. As my friend said, quote, "well, it's .... very Vin Diesel-y." I hope they can wait until the rental prices kick in.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

It's mildly frustrating when a movie is especially hard to find or expensive when a ton of people have multiple streaming subscriptions (acknowledging that even that comes from a place of privilege). I want them to do the movies they want. I don't want them to limit everything to Netflix, Prime or Hulu. But when there's something like Prelude To A Kiss that involves joining Hulu/Prime then getting Starz on top of that, it feels like a bit much (though I'm very glad I saw Prelude To A Kiss). I'd really like to avoid another run like Bratz, Garbage Pail Kids, Ninja Terminator, Hard Ticket To Hawaii where a ton of movies in a short period where really hard to access.

 

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

And, in my own crotchety way, I’m kind of thinking, “Okay, renting Valerian was $4, Bloodshot is $20, and if the Redditor was right that he heard Jason say they will be doing Cats soon, that’s another $6.... 

I totally agree! Honestly, that’s a large part of the reason why I don’t watch all the films they cover—I can’t afford to. Also..with a (usually) busy schedule, I like to balance crap that’s FUN to watch with stuff that’s actually...good. If it’s memorably crappy fare, no matter the budget—like I thought The Great Wall was—then I’m all in! If it’s a mediocre Movie that Jason or whomever regrets watching, then I usually feel ripped off either financially or time-wise. This is also—in large part—because I’m watching these movies by myself, so I often don’t have anyone to talk shit about it if it’s boring.

i was also disappointed that Bloodshot was the next choice—or even done at all—but since I didn’t see how I was going To change that, that’s why I decided to be optimistic earlier. I like the texting idea. Hopefully it works!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

i was also disappointed that Bloodshot was the next choice—or even done at all—but since I didn’t see how I was going To change that, that’s why I decided to be optimistic earlier. I like the texting idea. Hopefully it works!

Ha! Nothing wrong with optimism! We need more of it 😀

Honestly, I don’t mind paying in most cases. I used to buy almost every single movie they covered. The only reason I stopped was I have found that I just don’t rewatch movies like I used to. So, honestly, I only really buy things now when they’re really cheap or I know I’m really going to like something. Like, I have nearly all the AFI movies covered on Unspooled as I would just wait for them to go on sale for 4.99 on iTunes.

I mean, who knows, maybe I’ll love Bloodshot. But like @DannytheWall said, $5 is about the max I’m willing to spend on a movie I may only watch once. Outside of Red Box (which I won’t be frequenting until after this whole mess is over) that’s a pretty standard price for a rental.

That all being said, with people losing their jobs and all the chaos right now, it just feels a bit extravagant to spend that kind of money for essentially nothing. If I’m lucky to have that kind of disposable income, I feel like I should be helping people in need or donating to a political campaign or something equally positive and productive, instead of “I’m going to buy this crappy Vin Diesel superhero  movie because I want to laugh at it.”

I mean, I’m not judging anyone who chooses to do so, but right now, it really just doesn’t sit well with me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

 

I totally agree! Honestly, that’s a large part of the reason why I don’t watch all the films they cover—I can’t afford to. Also..with a (usually) busy schedule, I like to balance crap that’s FUN to watch with stuff that’s actually...good. If it’s memorably crappy fare, no matter the budget—like I thought The Great Wall was—then I’m all in! If it’s a mediocre Movie that Jason or whomever regrets watching, then I usually feel ripped off either financially or time-wise. This is also—in large part—because I’m watching these movies by myself, so I often don’t have anyone to talk shit about it if it’s boring.

i was also disappointed that Bloodshot was the next choice—or even done at all—but since I didn’t see how I was going To change that, that’s why I decided to be optimistic earlier. I like the texting idea. Hopefully it works!

I watch them all and I usually pay very little for them. Depending on your library system, libraries are great for DVDs (but I also go by a couple to and from work which makes it pretty easy). At the very least, see if your library has a streaming service for free. A handful of hard to find movies have been on hoopla which is free with my library. Some libraries have kanopy which doesn't cover much HDTGM material but a free streaming service is strik a free streaming service. A couple HDTGM movies have been on tubi which is free. I also still have Netflix DVD (which has been gathering dust for months).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

To be fair, BLOODSHOT did terribly at the box office partly because of the pandemic—movie theaters closed. Maybe they are just trying to help Vin and the studio out? 

(As someone who works in media I felt obligated to say that content creators are hurting right now, and I am thinking of buying EMMA partly because it’s box office was decimated. But I still will probably not buy BLOODSHOT. It wouldn’t cost me $20 in theaters even. Plus I just looked it up and it was pretty close to breaking even on its budget. So it’s fine.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

As someone who works in media I felt obligated to say that content creators are hurting right now, and I am thinking of buying EMMA partly because it’s box office was decimated. But I still will probably not buy BLOODSHOT. It wouldn’t cost me $20 in theaters even. Plus I just looked it up and it was pretty close to breaking even on its budget. So it’s fine.)

And this is extremely important for me, as well. We all have to pick our battles where we want to throw our support, and if Bloodshot is it, hey, more power to you. 😉

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

If they are in need of a replacement, Vin's The Last Witch Hunter (2015) is available on through Tubi and I would imagine most library services, and it's pretty darn great.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Unrelated to this episode, I found this trending on YouTube and thought of you guys. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Since I was bitching about it the most, I think it’s only fair to mention Bloodshot is on sale on iTunes for $15 this week. Still a bit rich for my blood when it will be available to rent in two weeks, but I thought it was worth mentioning if anyone else was interested.

Also, a few weeks ago they announced they were doing a live show of A Sound of Thunder. Of course, things being what they are, I assume that show has been postponed, but I’m guessing they will still be doing it at some point. Anyway, it is currently 4.99 on iTunes, about the price of a rental, if anyone is interested in picking it up (I did 😁) before it goes back to full price. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Bloodshot is now available to rent on Amazon for $4.99.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×