đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Wil Dride

Episode 243 - The Peanut Butter Solution

18 minutes ago, doxrus said:

My first thought on seeing Signor's hair coat was Buffalo Bill's "skin suit" in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (the book was released three years after this film!) Add to that the creepy "hair" hallway entrance to the child slave labor factory, and you have one deeply unsettling, scarifying "children's" film. Wearing body parts of your kidnapped victims? 

Turns out The Silence of the Lambs is part of the Tales for All series.

• Like 1

I found it rather lazy that they have Connie pull Michael aside and just tell him that the tall kid on the opposing soccer team is “really mean and dangerous”.  There was nothing in that kid’s performance before then or up until he trips him that he is mean.  And let’s face it, people are constantly tripping each other in soccer.  The bully also doesn’t go for the wig until Michael takes a swing at him.  Maybe that is an example of “mean and dangerous” in Canada but he didn’t seem like much of a bully to me.

• Like 2

The t-shirt design Jason wanted in the previous episode. Love you, HDTGM!

777FBB94-FD71-420C-9E95-1EDEFE9921BD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, FrancisRizzo3 said:

When I heard Jason say "hairshirt" my mind immediately went to the Barenaked Ladies' classic song about gender expectations, "What a Good Boy".

These are some of the lyrics"

I wake up scared
I wake up strange
I wake up wondering if anything in my life
Is ever gonna change
I wake up scared
I wake up strange
And everything around me stays the same

It's the hair shirt I wear
And this hair shirt is woven from
It's woven from your brown hair

Is it possible that one of the preeminent Canadian bands was influenced by one of the preeminent Canadian kids films?

I hate that as a child they were legitimately my favorite band. It was a close call but they beat out the Spice Girls.  Try telling a class full of 4th graders that The Barenaked Ladies are your favorite band when you're Student of the Week.  It's just a mess of awkward giggles and screams at the words naked lady. You have completely lost your audience! No one even wants to hear about  your Beanie Babie collection! And it was impressive( due to parental guilt at having to travel an obscene amount) !

On 7/6/2020 at 12:25 PM, theworstbuddhist said:

My earliest memories of BNL (before I saw them live for the first and last time around 1992 I think?) is their covers of Bruce Cockburn's "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" for a tribute album and Public Enemy's "Fight The Power" on their original cassette. A lot of people still love the Cockburn cover (I'm not one of them) and the other one has not aged well..

Ugh. I haven’t heard this, but it sounds terribly reminiscent of Duran Duran’s cover of “911 Is a Joke” (also by Public Enemy) on their horrible tribute album Thank You, dedicated to musicians they admire (even in 1994, I knew it did not look good for a rich white British rock band to cover this song). YIKES.

Edited by GrahamS.
Spelling
  • Hedgehog 1

On 7/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, Omaxem said:

*** HUGE SPOILERS FOR THIS EPISODE *** 

Hide contents

Paul had horses.

W in the actual F.

In yet another gripping episode of How Did We Get Scheer? : Horses!!!

• Haha 1

I am listening to the backlog, and I just reached 2013, and while listening to an episode right after The Peanut Butter Solution I found a Correction and Omission by way of forgetting. In The Odd Life of Timothy Green E:54 - 1/21/2013, Tim Heidecker mentions The Peanut Butter Solution, which Paul says he had not heard of, and Tim proceeds to tell the basic plot. 

I also have an explanation for June on how Arnold can get pregnant and a fact for a brief unaddressed question to Jason on the discussion of where the butt starts.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:30 PM, TheeCupcakeKid said:

I am listening to the backlog, and I just reached 2013, and while listening to an episode right after The Peanut Butter Solution I found a Correction and Omission by way of forgetting. In The Odd Life of Timothy Green E:54 - 1/21/2013, Tim Heidecker mentions The Peanut Butter Solution, which Paul says he had not heard of, and Tim proceeds to tell the basic plot. 

I also have an explanation for June on how Arnold can get pregnant and a fact for a brief unaddressed question to Jason on the discussion of where the butt starts.

I'm doing the same thing, and a little further along than you, but TPBS had HAUNTED this podcast since the beginning. I've noted multiple direct or indirect references to TPBS from different guests over the years like, "...yeah, it's like this weird movie I saw as a kid I can't quite remember.. The Peanut Butter....Curse or something...nvrm.". 

It's like some of those magic pubes got into the HDTGM studio back in 2011 and have been slowly growing and creeping over the years into their mics, coffee mugs, chairs, etc. until the movie finally has it's day.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PlugThisTurkey said:

I'm doing the same thing, and a little further along than you, but TPBS had HAUNTED this podcast since the beginning. I've noted multiple direct or indirect references to TPBS from different guests over the years like, "...yeah, it's like this weird movie I saw as a kid I can't quite remember.. The Peanut Butter....Curse or something...nvrm.". 

It's like some of those magic pubes got into the HDTGM studio back in 2011 and have been slowly growing and creeping over the years into their mics, coffee mugs, chairs, etc. until the movie finally has it's day.    

Oooh, yeah... Easter Eggs to listen for now! When you said that I am thinking, have I heard that before? I bet I have and never gave it a second thought. Thank for telling me! Now I am even more excited if that is possible! Let me say this though, I pay for premium subscription, and it is worth every penny. If for nothing else, I have listened to The Jazz Singer episode at least five times, forced my mom to listen to it, and I am always up for another listen to The Room. **Edit - Thank you for the imagery of what I think of a potted plant like a fuzzy fern of hair growing with no warning and sneaking it's way up to the mic demanding attention.**