🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
choochoo_the_wonder_slut

Questions for Sark

I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet, and I'm only 12 episodes in, but have you considered using web-based game table tools in order to rectify your grid map vs. table space issues?

http://roll20.net/ can be pretty useful and you could have a battle map on a laptop, which could save you some space.

I've messed with this stuff just a bit and it is indeed sexy. Good looking out! I think we're probably just going to shift from 4th so we can get away from the Clue Maps :)

Dear Sark,

Pat Robertson has a Problem with Magic in Games.

http://boingboing.ne...-people-to.html

My Question(s): Is this in conflict with Sir Richard's faith? Followupquestion...., Is Blackie Green doomed to hell?

Thank you for your wornderful adventure! I am willing to sacrifice my soul to listen every week.

~n

Hey Sark,

Immediately came here after reading the news about you leaving Machinima. This isn't really a question, just wishing you the best of luck and hope you keep us posted! While it's sad you won't grace my subscription page with videos, I'm glad this podcast will be here to give me a weekly dosage of you et all.

• Like 2

Hey Sark,

Immediately came here after reading the news about you leaving Machinima. This isn't really a question, just wishing you the best of luck and hope you keep us posted! While it's sad you won't grace my subscription page with videos, I'm glad this podcast will be here to give me a weekly dosage of you et all.

I second. I found Machinima as a result of this forum, and I've been watching Team Respawn videos in backward order for the last several weeks. They make my day, every day - especially when I'm waiting for a new Nerd Poker. Now I'm anxiously waiting for tomorrow's update video.

• Like 1

Hey Sark, good luck for the future man - you got the energy to do great things!

I have a question on Nerd Poker though. If I wanted to produce some art based on some of the scenery in the game so far, what kind of theme would you suggest the world is, I'm not sure I've picked up quite whether everything is futuristic or rustic if you see what I mean.

Man I'm really going to miss Inbox and I hope Mr. Sark stays in the public eye!

According to their last update video, not all hope is lost. Sark will continue, for an undetermined amount of time, to host some popular Team Respawn episodes on a weekly basis. He'll be doing it freelance though, not under Machinima's unbrella. I'm starting to view his leave as a positive thing. Not positive for Machinima, but positive for our main man Sark. He'll be able to express himself creatively without any of the restrictions previously imposed by Machinima. Not saying anything uncensored or anything without restrictions is automatically better, it'll just be cool that we'll see some content that didn't get the OK from Machinima.

• Like 3

Sir Sark,

Why are you sexy?

Seriously WTF. Knock is off, I can't stop thinking about you.

Thanks

Hey Sark not really a question but a statement. You should consider doing a standalone Earwolf podcast (in addition to NP). You already have a built in audience of raving internet fans and it would be funny as hell. Ok bye.

• Like 4

Hey Sark,

If you were to run a different system after this game, what would it be? Would you go to second edition or try something else?

• Like 1

Sark,

I know you were rolling 1-100 for loot, but I forgot which episode it was in, and I thought I recalled you wanting to tweak it. Also, it seems like the critical fails are rarely dangerous. I was wondering if we could get a more detailed breakdown of the system you personally use. Would it be possible to see your revised loot table and crit fail table?

Hey Sark have you ever been a player? If so what character(s) did you play?

Dear Sark,

Pat Robertson has a Problem with Magic in Games.

http://boingboing.ne...-people-to.html

My Question(s): Is this in conflict with Sir Richard's faith? Followupquestion...., Is Blackie Green doomed to hell?

Thank you for your wornderful adventure! I am willing to sacrifice my soul to listen every week.

~n

Pat Robertson is in conflict with all faith. Unless your God's name is Greed and he lives in all of our wallets.

As a Warlock, Blackie Green is probably condemned to hell, yes. BUT that doesn't mean he won't be able to saunter up to the front of the line outside of Club Pearly Gates, notice that Bouncer Peter got his tips frosted, ask how the fam is, blast him the finger pistols and walk straight-the-fuck into Heaven.

• Like 8

Hey Sark, good luck for the future man - you got the energy to do great things!

I have a question on Nerd Poker though. If I wanted to produce some art based on some of the scenery in the game so far, what kind of theme would you suggest the world is, I'm not sure I've picked up quite whether everything is futuristic or rustic if you see what I mean.

The current state of stuff on this flooded world is a lot like The Atoll looked in Waterworld, since most of it is salvaged Collector bits. The Collector tech is very steampunk, bolted together, crude welds, large plates of metal. Perhaps it's because being non-corporeal they are unable to create the devices like the clockwork deck hands and The Dreadnaughts themselves? Can't go into too much detail about The Collector's yet since the party has barely scratched the surface of that ploy.

The world pre-flood, as the party has just recently discovered on their deep dive, seems to have been a more technological place, perhaps even futuristic. Blade-Runner-esque in my mind (I visually relate everything to movies, I find it easier to communicate broad strokes that way :) )

• Like 1

Hey Sark not really a question but a statement. You should consider doing a standalone Earwolf podcast (in addition to NP). You already have a built in audience of raving internet fans and it would be funny as hell. Ok bye.

Heh heh what on earth would I talk about? I'm already sick of hearing my own voice! :) But thanks sir! Radio Respawn was initially intended to be a podcast but Machinima wasn't feeling the podcast angle. So we just made it a long, weekly YouTube vid.

Hey Sark,

If you were to run a different system after this game, what would it be? Would you go to second edition or try something else?

I'd love to try Pathfinder, but I'd hate to learn another game live on the air. Too stressful. So probably 2nd! THat is IF we were sticking to swords & sorcery. If we switched up the game entirely I'd probably want to dust off my possessed box of Top Secret S.I., even though Brian would run away from it like a gigantic scaredypants. *see our flashback segment from Episode 6 for the backstory.

• Like 2

Sark,

I know you were rolling 1-100 for loot, but I forgot which episode it was in, and I thought I recalled you wanting to tweak it. Also, it seems like the critical fails are rarely dangerous. I was wondering if we could get a more detailed breakdown of the system you personally use. Would it be possible to see your revised loot table and crit fail table?

Yeah this is definitely a FAQ. I don't have a 4th Ed. loot table and had to scrounge for that info while we played. I knew what item types I wanted to be there, but wanted to roll randomly to see what their enchantments were. There wasn't a chart like I'd envisioned and had to make do. For now I'd probably just go back to what I know and use the 2nd Edition loot tables from that DM's guide.

As for the Botch Chart, I was waiting to post a really dolled-up version along with some maps and sketches but I haven't had time so I'll just put it down here. It's very simple, although I've shifted it a bit over the course of these episodes as I get a feel for how frustrating / satisfying the 4th Ed combat is for everyone. Don't want to smack anyone when they're not having fun.

Currently it's at:

1-50: No effect, just a miss.

51-70: Miss & no action next round.

71-85: Attack is self-inflicted & no action next round.

86-90: Attack is self-inflicted & double damage & no action next round.

91-95: Attack is self-inflicted & double damage & related weapon/device/artifact breaks & no action next round

96-00: Fatal flub.

I recently added the item break to the list because it may add a fun dynamic on the rare occasions that it is rolled. I just sort of role-play the effects based on what the circumstances are.

Hey Sark have you ever been a player? If so what character(s) did you play?

I rarely play but my 4 most memorable RPG characters are (these are from a looong time ago so details are hazy):

I played a Native American spy with an Eagle whose eyes I could see through in Top Secret S.I..

I played a mutant Armadillo in the Palladium T.M.N.T..

I played twin bards (Stringfellow played a lute & Windsworth played the pan pipes) when the D&D expansion Dark Sun came out. I love Dark Sun!

• Like 1

Mr Sark -

How can we help keep you guys cooled off this summer? If the answer is just "Donate", can you give us an "ish" figure so we can try to coordinate and make it happen? I really appreciate the entertainment value of this podcast and I feel guilty sitting in my air conditioned office while the six of you are sweaty and uncomfortable for the sake of my entertainment. I'll try to coordinate the effort if you can give me some parameters. I've got a promo guy in the area and I bet he'd drop off or deliver some fans for me if we can find some that aren't too noisy. Let me know how I can help, and what you can and can't use in the studio.

I rarely play but my 4 most memorable RPG characters are (these are from a looong time ago so details are hazy):

I played a Native American spy with an Eagle whose eyes I could see through in Top Secret S.I..

I played a mutant Armadillo in the Palladium T.M.N.T..

I played twin bards (Stringfellow played a lute & Windsworth played the pan pipes) when the D&D expansion Dark Sun came out. I love Dark Sun!

Oh man, Palladium TMNT was amazing!

So if (WHEN) you switch to 2nd Edition are you going to try and "downgrade" the current characters or start a new campaign from lv1?

Can't wait to see the forums explode with "WTF is THAC0?!".

Heh heh what on earth would I talk about? I'm already sick of hearing my own voice! :) But thanks sir! Radio Respawn was initially intended to be a podcast but Machinima wasn't feeling the podcast angle. So we just made it a long, weekly YouTube vid.

Wicked admiring those narrative arcs of yours, fella. So I'm seconding that suggestion. Maybe you could do a fantasy equivalent of Mike Detective. I love Nerd Poker, but it could be equally fun to hear you spin a yarn without those pesky dice.

• Like 1

Sark!

The code word for your secret phone rolls should be like, a sighing raspberry lip-flapping sound. It's distinct but not suspicious.

I need to know now that you said it! I was listening like crazy for it last episode but I couldn't tell.

Also, did you role play with Gerry a little bit before he came back to figure out where he was "starting" in relation to the others, or did you just tell him what was going on off mic? Why is he missing a hand, did he just choose that?

Any-hoo, you are awesome, stay incredibly sexy. Thanks!

I posted this a couple eps ago but I see questions about it here too, so I figured it could live here as well.

This was in response to a question about improvisation vs pre-planning.

You may be surprised! It is a compliment that you can't tell though :) D&D has helped with my career in production, and my career in production has in turn helped with my D&D. What you're talking about is the most difficult balancing act that a DM faces. Are you reading paragraphs out of a pre-made module ensuring that everything happens as planned but limiting player freedom? Are you completely winging it and risking losing control of the story, resulting in a random-feeling nonsensical vibe? There isn't a correct way to do it, but I prefer something like 75% planned, 25% improv.

What I DON'T do is improv large plot points. I save the impromptu stuff for the smaller events, and for guiding the players if they need it. This is all part of pre-production for me. Admittedly I rarely have enough time to pre-pro like I'd like (especially the last couple months due to real-world interferences). This sounds like bragging or taking credit for subconscious moves but I pride myself on spending prep time that not even the party knows about :)

Usually we do a sort of post-mortem sesh after a wipe, or a significant victory where we all pull back the curtain on missed opportunities on the player's part, or strange curveballs that they pitched and how I rolled with it. Maybe we'll do one of these for an episode. I'll ask Brian.

Teasers (planned):
They
COULD
have rendezvoused with the Water Elemental Delta Force. They also may have skipped my entire Water Elemental Plane scenario. This has happened several times to us due to the freedom that the party is afforded. Large chunks of story that fall to the wayside. I usually try to recycle them in another campaign or tie it it back in later if organic, but sometimes the pre-production just *POOF*
:)
Also, Jayph had a sidestory that was potentially interesting / lucrative. but *BLUB* went Jayph.
Teasers (unplanned):
The sinking of the Collector Dreadnaught was a surprise. I had a couple eventualities leading to The Survivors that did not involve a Titanic reenactment.
AND
the subsequent assault on The Survivors was unexpected. I figured the stranger's aquatic advantage was obvious. I was wrong. This led to Ell Ryan's demise :'(

*quick thought on a tangentially related subject: We don't have room at the table for a DM screen (a little barrier that hides what I'm doing from the group in case I need to make a secret dice roll or write a note) and even in the past when we HAVE had the room, I don't even like them HEARING me roll sometimes. Don't tell them but I keep a dice app on my phone and make the rolls under the table, on the sly. Some VERY critical rolls were made on this especially in the next episode. Unfortunately YOU guys can't tell I'm rolling either but c'est la vie. Maybe we need a code word ;)