I appeared on a podcast about movies so I thought this board might also like to listen....

movies podcasts horror hellbent classics guillermo del toro the witch crimson peak

23 replies to this topic

#21 ironicmerman

Sentient hot dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:30 AM

I'm about 10 or so episodes deep into this podcast. I'm hooked. This morning, I heard Bradley saying "yeah...yeah, yeah" during an interview. My first thought: this guy is like Marc Maron. Not sure why, but he really reminds me of Maron with his approach and interest level. Maybe with a little Matt Gourley sprinkled in.
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#22 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

That's a really interesting combination of podcasters, almost the yin and yang of each other. Bradley does have sort of a "seen everything" vibe, and that gives him some very strong opinions, which is where the Marc Maron comparison might come in. But then he does have an unabashed joy in and passion for all things horror, as well as film, which he does have in common with Gourley. Maron comes off not... particularly well-informed sometimes and a bit too reactionary for me, which I don't get from Bradley though.
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#23 ironicmerman

Sentient hot dogs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 25 August 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

That's a really interesting combination of podcasters, almost the yin and yang of each other. Bradley does have sort of a "seen everything" vibe, and that gives him some very strong opinions, which is where the Marc Maron comparison might come in. But then he does have an unabashed joy in and passion for all things horror, as well as film, which he does have in common with Gourley. Maron comes off not... particularly well-informed sometimes and a bit too reactionary for me, which I don't get from Bradley though.

I said Maron because, even though he does have the "seen everything" vibe, he still seems to show a lot of interest and wants to find out what makes people tick. Why they do what they do, why they like what they like. He gets the biography as part of the bigger picture. And you nailed it on Gourley. If you want to get into an ingredients breakdown, maybe I'd call it 2 parts Gourley, 1 part Maron?

Anyways, thanks again on mentioning this podcast! I'm eating it up. The only thing I need to do a better job of is keeping track of the films Bradley mentions. Does he have any resources that list films people should definitely see? Because I listen in my car, it's not easy to write these things down.
Technicality. No. Down. Boo. Over.

#24 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

I am super-psyched you are enjoying it! It is always a joy to share stuff I am loving with other, enthusiastic individuals. As far as keeping track of movies mentioned, in later episodes, Bradley does start listing all the movies he talks about, though I am not sure which episode he actually begins that practice. For an example, here are his show notes for episodes 42 and 44, which are concerned with the same topic:
https://hellbentforh...es-042-and-044/
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel