🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ChristosKirst

Any other good RPG podcasts?

Out of all of these the only one I have checked out is The Adventure Zone (episode 7 came out today) and it is fantastic! More than a few times I have caught myself laughing out loud like a knucklehead. Thanks for the suggestion! I could not recommend it more.

EDITED TO ADD: I posted, but I feel like I should write more as to why this is such a great show. Although, to be honest, I have never played a game of D&D in my life and cannot speak to the game play aspects.

• The DM Griffin--He keeps the story moving and every episode (in just an hour) feels like a complete chapter. Plus, all of his NPC's are hilarious.
  • Everyone stays (more or less) in character throughout and they seem to get mini character arcs that help flesh them all out. For me, Taako is probably the breakout character ("Abraca-FUCK YOU!!!") and I really hope he finds all the components he needs to fulfill his destiny...
  • The battles are engaging and the players use the full range of their skills and environment to overcome their obstacles. The battle with Klaarg is particularly great and the fight against Brian and Bryan had me laughing my ass off.
  • To a novice, like myself, they explain the rules of 5e pretty clearly, but never get too bogged down with the minutiae.

I am not saying it is better or worse than NP, but if you like NP (and you are looking for another show) I am pretty confident you will like this one!

• Like 1

I would like to second the recommendation of Pretend Wizards. They really get into their characters and give their DM a challenge because each of them has the tendency to do something completely random and chaotic that could derail an adventure. Christian is up to the challenge though, and the story remains interesting and funny throughout. They are 60 episodes in at this point, so not too daunting to catch up with (I just did so myself in about a month)

Out of all of these the only one I have checked out is The Adventure Zone (episode 7 came out today) and it is fantastic! More than a few times I have caught myself laughing out loud like a knucklehead. Thanks for the suggestion! I could not recommend it more.

I'm gonna double down on the love for Adventure Zone, on episode 3 now and loving it! the dynamic between the hosts is great, nerdy and hilarious. It's no Nerd Poker, but it fits in the same class for me :)

• Like 2

• The DM Griffin--He keeps the story moving and every episode (in just an hour) feels like a complete chapter. Plus, all of his NPC's are hilarious.
  • Everyone stays (more or less) in character throughout and they seem to get mini character arcs that help flesh them all out. For me, Taako is probably the breakout character ("Abraca-FUCK YOU!!!") and I really hope he finds all the components he needs to fulfill his destiny...
  • The battles are engaging and the players use the full range of their skills and environment to overcome their obstacles. The battle with Klaarg is particularly great and the fight against Brian and Bryan had me laughing my ass off.
  • To a novice, like myself, they explain the rules of 5e pretty clearly, but never get too bogged down with the minutiae.

I would add (and this is sort of an elaboration of bullet point three above):

• A match between DM and player mentalities about conflict/problem solving, and by my preference a match on the right end of the spectrum. The players are always looking for clever solutions, often the kind that avoid direct conflict, and Griffin isn't hesitant to give them the benefit of their clever solutions. I've so many times seen games where the DM finds a way to still get the fight he or she had planned, and thus robs the parties the benefit of their problem-solving (with maybe a few bonus XP or a one-round surprise attack bonus thrown their way as a consolation prize), and about as many where a DM is trying really hard to give opportunities for clever play and the party just wants to run in headlong.

• Like 1

I'm going to add Adventure Zone to my queue after reading all the posts about it. I'd like to say that I find RPGentlemen to be very funny. The sound quality is troubling as I think they use 1 mic to capture the sessions. But, the Kain campaign (their 5e campaign) is very amusing to me. The character work is great and I find the story interesting. I mean, there's a sentient trash bag warlock named Window. He's clearly a Groot rip off as he knows about 6 words with three of them being "I am Window," but it's done well and very funny.

• Like 1

I'm partial to Adventures from the Shed. Its really well produced and funny.

www.adventuresfromtheshed.com

I am loving The Adventure Zone! So glad I started listening after these recommendations. I love their interactions with each other and some of the NPCs are just flat out hilarious. Have plowed through all but the latest episode, so far.

I have also been enjoying Brave New Dungeon's adventure line in "The Pearl". It's not comedic at all. In fact, it's rather serious about trying to sort out the 5e rules. They actually start playing even before the Starter Set is released. The sound quality is pretty good and they are well mic'ed, but often times, you hear some really bad music in the background, as well as their opening/closing song sounds like something that should have died in the early 90's. Just say no to slap/pop/funk metal. Some of the characters/players are a tad annoying, and they play online using Roll 20, so there are a lot of times you have to listen to them sort out or discuss their technical difficulties, but all in all, for listening to an adventure featuring some players that take themselves too seriously, it's pretty good. But for those of us trying to run 5e campaigns and getting used to the new rules and approaches ourselves, it's been pretty decent. http://bravenewdungeon.com/

• Like 2

New episodes of "Dice Junkies"!!!

"Dice Junkies", is a weekly podcast of the popular dice based game, Pathfinder. First time players role play their way though battles and social situations set up by the game master. Intended for an adult audience, listen and laugh as 6 friends learn the ropes of role playing games.

Coming soon to iTunes!

Nerd poker used to be the podcast I most looked forward to each week. Sark is the $h!+, but without him, Gerry and Sarah it just doesn't hold my interest anymore. I haven't listened to the last 10 or so. As long as I keep seeing "more red giants", "some more blue giants", "some more giants" in the episode descriptions, I think I'm done.

That being said, my new most anticipated roleplaying podcast is the Campaign podcast. It's a Star Wars based game and it's great. They are up to about episode 22. There is also a 3 episode prequel on the One Shot channel as well as a 2 episode pre-prequel that take place 5 years earlier. In addition there are 3 flashback episodes after episode 17 on the Campaign podcast, they take place roughly 15-20 years before the main story. You could easily start at any of those 4 and things would make sense. I'd probably recommend starting at the first campaign episode to see if it's to your liking.

If your a hardcore D&Der, Critical Hit might be for you. Great story and spot on with the rules and game mechanics. They recently started something new (modern city) that I'm really not in to, but the original campaign is hundreds of episodes long and worth a listen.

The Adventure zone has been mentioned a few times, I can definately endorse that.

Drunks and Dragons is OK, I haven't gotten very far yet. The same people make it as Cast of Thrones a Game of Thrones podcast.

Based on recommendations here I'm giving D&D with StS a shot. I've only listened to the first episode and I can't say I'm sold, but I will give it a few more episodes. Does anyone know if it's just the 2 players for the entire run?

Holy shit, Campaign is wonderful. I'm going to catch up on all of it, and since I'll be listening to a Star Wars D&D podcast, I'm going to try to do some casual trigonometry while I do it in an attempt to summon some kind of ultimate nerd demon.

• Like 1

System Mastery is pretty great. They don't play the games, it's closer to a How Did This Get Made format where they seek out terrible old games from decades ago and review them. The show is full of long-running gags and weird digressions, but it's a great way to hear about games you never would have thought could exist, like the "Everyone's an anime maid trying to "please" the DM master of the house" game, Maid.
  • Like 1

I know HunteJE mentioned The Adventure Zone and I just wanted to second that suggestion. Holy shit episodes 3-4 was awesomely funny. Try it.