🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I'm not watching this and I definitely wouldn't expect the team to, either, but we really need to discuss these subplots:

Against the backdrop of the debates, a series of peripherally related subplots develop. Radisson dates Mina (Cory Oliver), a Christian whom he often belittles in front of his fellow atheist colleagues. Her brother Mark (Dean Cain), a successful businessman and atheist, refuses to visit their mother, who suffers from dementia. Mark's girlfriend, Amy (Trisha LaFache), is a left-wing blogger who writes articles critical of Duck Dynasty. When she is diagnosed with cancer, Mark dumps her. A Muslim student named Ayisha (Hadeel Sittu) secretly converts to Christianity and is disowned by her father when he finds out.

I'm going to assume watching so much Duck Dynasty is what gave her the cancer, and they've just wildly misinterpreted it as God's punishment.

• Like 6

I talked about this film a bit in the "The Identical" thread in regards to the string of faith-based movies that came out earlier this year, so I'm just going to copy-and-past this bit right here...

"Also, there's "God's Not Dead", about a kid that's taking a class that he shouldn't be fucking taking in the first place if he's a total holy roller. Kevin Sorbo is the evil philosophy professor or something, and he makes his students sign or write something saying that God is dead or God doesn't exist (which are actually kind of two different things, aren't they?), which accounts for like half of their overall grade. That sounds fucking crazy anyway, like something that wouldn't really happen, and this kid, rather than change his schedule to something more appropriate, sees it as a challenge. I saw a scene where someone DOES basically say "Hey, how about changing classes instead of being an asshole and telling someone else how to do their own job and being the kid in class that everyone wishes would shut the fuck up?" (but in a totally PG manner), and he responds with "I think God WANTS me to defend him, so there's no way I'm quitting". Contrary to what Robert Tepper led us to believe all those years ago, there IS an easy way out, but this little prick stuck around to pick a fight. Sorbo ultimately loses the debate, because the script said that he had to, and to add insult to injury, he's run over by a car and killed. Because Jesus, guys. Because Jesus."

• Like 2

My favorite part of this film is when the Muslim girl's little brother catches her listening to the bible on her iPod, then tells her super fundamentalist dad. The dad then rushes into her room, lifts her up (with one arm, like how you would carry a bundle of coats), carries her through the house and throws her out the front door. She gets back up and gives him one last pleading look. He slowly raises his hand to her face, presumably to gently stroke her cheek, but no. He puts his hand around her neck and starts to strangle her. Anybody who's not a Christian in this movie is a piece of shit.

RE: K to the Herc. Sorbo has a great slow clapping scene after one of our hero's ineffectual rebuttals, too. And he only gets run over by a car AFTER he decides to attend the Christian rock concert to see what this whole Jesus thing is all about. But God is like, "EFF that! You said I was dead so I'm gonna puncture your organs with your shattered rib bones." And what's great about THAT scene is the slow motion overhead shot of Sorbo actually getting hit by the car. He goes airborne over the top of the car and looks to the sky with a face that's all, "Good one, God. You got me."

I've seen this four times (three times for work and once to show my wife because I love watching her yell "WTF!?" at the TV) and I can safely say that this is perfect HDTGM material.

• Like 2

My favorite part of this film is when the Muslim girl's little brother catches her listening to the bible on her iPod, then tells her super fundamentalist dad. The dad then rushes into her room, lifts her up (with one arm, like how you would carry a bundle of coats), carries her through the house and throws her out the front door. She gets back up and gives him one last pleading look. He slowly raises his hand to her face, presumably to gently stroke her cheek, but no. He puts his hand around her neck and starts to strangle her. Anybody who's not a Christian in this movie is a piece of shit.

RE: K to the Herc. Sorbo has a great slow clapping scene after one of our hero's ineffectual rebuttals, too. And he only gets run over by a car AFTER he decides to attend the Christian rock concert to see what this whole Jesus thing is all about. But God is like, "EFF that! You said I was dead so I'm gonna puncture your organs with your shattered rib bones." And what's great about THAT scene is the slow motion overhead shot of Sorbo actually getting hit by the car. He goes airborne over the top of the car and looks to the sky with a face that's all, "Good one, God. You got me."

I've seen this four times (three times for work and once to show my wife because I love watching her yell "WTF!?" at the TV) and I can safely say that this is perfect HDTGM material.

I've just caught bits and pieces of it, as it played at my theater for like a month and a half (we're a very old, conservative, white market), but I'm pretty sure that I've seen a good third of it or so. I think there's a whole other story to be told here about kids that WANT to be in this class that have majors where this is a required course, but because there's this asshole kid that shouldn't be there that keeps rocking the boat, things get derailed, and then it gets even worse when even the professor of said course gives up on it and then fucking DIES. So, does EVERYONE end up at this concert at the end where the professor is run over? Yeah, that's not fishy at all, especially after he'd been engaged in a war of words with this kid for what I'm sure was months. Also, it looks like the Asian kid is turned into a believer. He probably wasn't before, what with being Asian and all, right? I kept catching the moment of realization "Awwww, shucks, I guess you're right, so I'm going to start clapping" look at the end.

I read up on this movie when I first heard about it, and decide not to watch it (especially if I have to pay for it). It's just too ridiculous; no Professor at a state university would get away with harassing students based on their religious beliefs. The kid wouldn't have to engage in a semester long debate with Hercules (who acts like a mustache-twirling cereal box villain in the trailers); he just has to visit the Dean and file a grievance. It's also ridiculous that everyone with an opposed viewpoint is apparently portrayed as a vile monster.

A movie about faith in the face of tragedy or adversity could make a compelling film, even for a non-believer like myself. But constructing a saturday morning cartoon reality where the relationship between atheists and christians has as much depth and nuance as Cobra vs. G.I. Joe just comes off as blatant propaganda.

Of note, this movie has a 17% critic's score on Rotten Tomatoes, and an 81% audience score. Talk about playing to your audience.

• Like 3

Also, it looks like the Asian kid is turned into a believer. He probably wasn't before, what with being Asian and all, right? I kept catching the moment of realization "Awwww, shucks, I guess you're right, so I'm going to start clapping" look at the end.

You just reminded me of the Asian kid, whose dad actually said to him, "Sign the 'God is dead' paper so you can get your grade and shut up already." When he's introduced as being from the Republic of China, someone asks, "Seriously?" And he goes: "Oh, yes. In China, always serious."

And NOW I just remembered that Sorbo's character was dating a believer and at a dinner party that she probably put a lot of effort into preparing, he and his atheist friends all take turns making fun of her.

And the scene where Sorbo is collecting the signed papers with "God is dead" written on them, he comments: "Ooh,

'god' is lower-case on this one. Think I'll give you extra credit."

*Look, I know I put a lot of stuff in quotes that might not be word-for-word quotes, because c'mon I'm not a stenographer!

• Like 4

And NOW I just remembered that Sorbo's character was dating a believer and at a dinner party that she probably put a lot of effort into preparing, he and his atheist friends all take turns making fun of her.

How does this even come up, and how do these people end up together in the first place? Forget religion, if someone makes it a point to bag that badly on ANYTHING I'm interested in, I'm not with that person. I mean, I've had different views on things than girls I've been in relationships with, but we just end up NOT talking about it, because no one's going to be changing anyone's mind, or it's something that comes up when we're just busting each other's chops, like jokingly blaming your partner's political party of choice for something completely absurd. I think we ALL know that it's the Bush administration's fault that Pluto isn't a planet anymore though. I mean other way more ridiculous stuff...

Also, from what I've seen of it, this film seems like a religious version of "Crash" where EVERYONE in the damn movie just ends up talking about one thing, no matter how the conversation starts or what kind of situation they're in.

• Like 2

Dear god why did I watch this movie.....

This movie could've been better, if it just tied to be a little bit more respectful to other cultures and religions. Case in Point: the Muslim girl. I could understand her need to fit in, I think we all do. but the need to change religions, OHH COME ON!

I love when the other school members at the banana republic of schools or so it seemed. said to the little Muslim girl. outside the school parking lot, I'm sorry you have to wear that. as she's only wearing it for her fathers sake.

and what happen to her? she now living on the street, now that dads kicked her out of her house. I may have not been paying attention during this movie. was Muslim dad not a complete stereo type Muslim slapping his daughter. I was expecting acid to be thrown in her face next. but it was refreshing to know that the director had some limits, thank god.

The movie should of focus on different religions, focusing on The belief of God all together. but it comes across more like a pro christian movie then anything else, At times. it kind of reminded me of an episode of South Park where the Mormons are in heaven and they are celebrating, We got it right. Lol

I fucking hated this movie.. I was so shocked that they didn't bring up the fact that the earth is only 5000 years old. :-)

did anyone not notice they didn't bring up the one true fact against god, dinosaurs. why did god kill the dinosaurs.. if god created the earth then why make dinosaurs in the first place. seems a little silly don't ya think.

Mind you, he had these idiots working for him.

Time_Bandits_23976.jpg

from time bandits,

I don't think there's anything really funny about this movie for how did this get made.

I've not seen the movie, and doubt I could stomach it, even if I tried.

It's pretty clear that this movie is just there, preaching to the choir. And from what I hear the Conservative Evangelical (Fundie), crowd are really pleased with it.

This really is the way they think the world works.

Atheists are all angry people, who know, down deep inside, that there is a god.

Their just mad because they love their sin, so they claim to not believe in god, in order to reject his rules.

Evangelicals, also, have a real distrust of secular, higher education.

Far too many of them send their kids off to collage only to have the kids lose their faith, or, almost as bad, become liberal Christians who doubt the Bible is the inerrant "Word of God".

My mother, for instance, really did believe professors, at secular universities, did this kind of thing to Christian students all the time.

Hollywood, usually doesn't portray Christians, or any devout religious character, in a very positive light.

Almost anytime I see a person of faith in a movie they're, hypocritical, extremist or mentally unstable in some way.

As a former Conservative Evangelical, I can sympathize with how disenfranchised, Christians feel by Hollywood.

This is a movie for them, the Christian is a person of courage and integrity, who stands up to the stronger, villain and prevails. This movie is a modern, retelling of David and Goliath!

• Like 2

I hope no one thinks I was defending this movie. I think it portrays a warped and distorted reality thats meant to be as much propaganda as entertainment. The very plot of them film is written to be a polemic against the growing number of outspoken atheists, Christians are now facing.

Even though I no longer share the beliefs of the fundamentalists I grew up with, I still do understand the mindset. Can I get an Amen?

• Like 4

Merkin Muffley- don't feel so bad, I am defending Muslims because I got so upset watching this stuped movie, I have no idea why I wanted to watch it in the first place.

and I am as white as you can get, wasp2 not the first one

I love this from the urban dictionary when looking up wasp. " wasp

Evil scary yellow and black stripey insect that flies around stinging people and has a nasty little face like Darth Vader, not to be confused with the humble bumble bee who is just a little flying teddy bear that makes jam and gets shit-faced on pollen. I'm not going out, I can see a wasp out there, it will kill us all."

Darth Vader's a wasp, flying teddy bears, what is this world coming to.

sorry I got into a rant. I am just upset they didn't have Stephen Baldwin in this movie.

Maybe in the sequel.

• Like 1

After painting a room with all the windows shut I was given visions of the future and saw the plot summary for God's Not Dead Part VIII:

Our hero Josh Wheaton - now an 87-year-old senior with dementia - has just been checked into the Shady Acres Retirement Community. Upon arriving, he immediately encounters head nurse Evel Persecutoria, a puppy-murderer who forces all new patients to sign a declaration saying, 'God is dead and killing puppies is great' in order to receive medical care. Josh vaguely recalls something similar happening before, and because he can't actually remember his name he refuses to sign. This results in President Atheismo Obamacare III calling for a televised debate between Josh and Nurse Evel. After approaching the podium, Josh immediately yells out, 'WHERE AM I?', poops himself, and dies. Nurse Evel feels sorry for him and is going to attempt resuscitation but is subsequently crushed by a falling stage light (this is dramatic irony, as earlier in the story she gives a speech about how stage lights disprove God). Josh then awakes in heaven, where he's disappointed to see the woman with cancer from the first movie. He immediately files a complaint with the nearest administrative angel, who explains that they all felt that she had gone through enough, what with the cancer and the Dean Cain dating and the Duck Dynasty marathons.

• Like 4

While I enjoy the simple conceit of this movie that all believers are martyrs whose religious beliefs are under constant attack - and it's up one plucky believer student to *a-hem* crusade against anti-religious tyranny - I don't quite understand Professor Sorbo's homework assignment, which is the catalyst for this movie.

Having no desire to actually spend money or time watching this film, I get the idea from the trailer that the non-believing professor requires that all students in his class sign a paper stating that "God is dead," or else face an immediate failing grade. Right? Like, he gets these sheets of paper back from his students illustrating that they've all fallen in line with viewpoint and feels better about himself? Is this a semester-long study with the end result being that all students parrot what the professor told them to say? Was this part of the curriculum mentioned in the class outline? What class is this, even? Like, when he gets these papers back from his students all saying the exact same thing he told them to say under threat of receiving or not receiving a passing grade, is the professor all, like, "Right on! I knew I was right. Suck it, God!"? Is the moral of this movie, "Groupthink outside of church is brainwashing - especially in college."?

This movie comes across more like people who have never been to college's view of what they actually believe happens in a college classroom. Like a Jack Chick comic pamphlet come to celluloid life. This hokey movie was tailor made for the simpleminded, completely pandering to religious acolytes and kneejerk neo-pawns alike. So: par for the course as far as these things go, I guess.

• Like 2

This is one of those movies that would make Jason so mad he wouldn't be able to review it. And not just because he is Muslim.

I made that joke in an email to Paul and the response I got back was, "FYI: Jason's Greek." haha. While it's funny that he thought I was serious, it's funnier that he thinks that being Greek and Muslim are mutually exclusive!

• Like 1

This is one of those movies that would make Jason so mad he wouldn't be able to review it. And not just because he is Muslim.

I made that joke in an email to Paul and the response I got back was, "FYI: Jason's Greek." haha. While it's funny that he thought I was serious, it's funnier that he thinks that being Greek and Muslim are mutually exclusive!

Y'know...just because someone doesn't laugh at a joke, doesn't mean they don't "get it."

Y'know...just because someone doesn't laugh at a joke, doesn't mean they don't "get it."

I think jason beats to the sound of his own drum when it comes to religion. but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this