๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN

Predestination (2014)

I saw this movie recently and it blew me away in the worst way possible ( Big Concepts and Ideas, Great Actors, Meh Execution )... So I highly recommend it to be discussed on an episode of the podcast... This may as well be one of those "Too Bad Is Good" Movies. I still can't decide.

ย 

The US release date is January 9th 2015 ( according to IMDB ) and shortly after that day I will post more "plot details" I do this because I don't want to spoil it for everybody before some of you get to see it :D Thats the kind of COOL DUDE I am Folks ;) I seriously can't even imagine what Paul, June and Jason ( and Guest ) will have to say about Predestination (2014) (If they end up doing it of course... ) I also can't wait...

ย 

In conclusion I know that maybe I have done a crappy job with this particular "recommendation pitch" but I truly hope you trust me on this one. Look out for this one...

ย 

Sincerely,

ย 

ย 

Maximiliano Ruocco R.

It's based on one of my favorite short stories by Robert Heinlein. When I had read that they were making a full length movie out of it, my first thought was "What? How?". I'm curious to watch it but also dreading it.

I can't believe what I'm reading, I loved this film so much!! And definitely not in an ironic way, I thought it was genuinely fantastic!

All-time best use of a he-she as a plot device.

This film is insane. Here is the simplest way to explain plot.

Ethan Hawke plays a man that used to be a woman, lost her lady parts and discovered she had man parts, had surgery to become a man in appearance too, went back in time and had sex with his younger self, impregnated the younger version, then traveled back from farther in the future and kidnapped himself as a baby, returns to an earlier time depositing himself to grow up and become the young lady he once was, and eventually has his face changed to look like Ethan Hawke, finally killing a different future version of himself that is also time traveling and has become a hick with long hair terrorizing the continuum with bombings.

ย 

He is a man, a woman, his own mother, his own father (all played by a female), a different man (the one played by Ethan Hawke), eventually a mad bomber hick that is killed by his younger self (both Ethan Hawke). And finally he is both a baby and the man that kidnaps himself from himself in order to grow up to become himself.

ย 

BONKERSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

That was one of my biggest problems with the movie... The multiple "twists" are actually the same twist over and over again and by the end it ceases to be shocking and for me was quite the opposite... I loved Sarah Snook though

Sorry but this was a great movie, you need to rewatch it.

ย 

I got the movie and the Rooster metaphor, I will rewatch at some point but I don't think that my opinion will change much...

ย 

ย 

I.M.H.O. I liked "Looper" (2012) more even if they ripped off the plot from "Wonder Showzen" 's Season 2 Episode 210685801_10152746464032559_3040530779795068842_n.jpg?oh=276bf05acb68256432c270bebb8f3f29&oe=556A2667&__gda__=1432388504_817374dcb1d787dd3ca6d0e77ffcdc05

ย 

I got the movie and the Rooster metaphor, I will rewatch at some point but I don't think that my opinion will change much...

ย 

ย 

I.M.H.O. I liked "Looper" (2012) more even if they ripped off the plot from "Wonder Showzen" 's Season 2 Episode 2

ย 

ย 

Well on that note then maybe not.

ย 

But I found myself enjoying this movie, the second time round. it was more clear of the time line and what was going on. basicily the main charactor is kinda going back in time and fucking him self. the first make over you can sort of buy into the second make over is just plan crazy. but I liked it because I love time travel movies,.the more crazy the better.

ย 

Looper was a more clearly layed out plotline.

Again, he has sex with himself, and gives birth to himself. He kidnaps himself. And somehow he becomes a time traveling redneck that now bombs innocent people and explains it away that he has saved so many lives it doesn't matter. Then he kills that future self, whom apparently did not see that coming. How did he end up the fizzle bomber, and why did he let the fizzle bomber go after he stops him the one time when the fizzle bomber gets burned?

• Like 1

The giving birth to himself thing I can buy, makes just enough sense to work (the execution is garbage, but the idea is sound).

So, he's basically the chosen one of time travel, he's outside of causality or whatever and that entails....nothing, nothing comes of it, ever, theres no point, the whole thing is pointless. What makes him any better than any other random douche they could pick to be an agent? I guess he could be in service longer? Is that about it? Why should we give a fuck?

ย 

This movie is just one long boring origin story for a boring villain we never see for more than 30 seconds, who only really interacts with the hero, audience or anything once. He's much less of a compelling villain than others you could probably compare him to (mainly Dennis Hopper in Speed, or The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight.)

ย 

Also, what do the time travel agents do, exactly? Because you see them do dick all, and apparently their only case ever is the fizzle bomber, and making it so whatsisface is born/kidnapped. Was gonna say its like a modern Radar Secret Service, but even that at least showed and mentioned them doing other things, and with better uses of their main gimmick.

Predestination: A thoughtless, vile and unforgivable act by the Spierig brothers

ย 

I watched this piece of trash last night. This movie was made for How Did This Get Made. It is supposed to be heady, but-it-is-not. Just plain stupid. The worst thing? RT gave it a 83% (see attached).

ย 

Briefly, a time cop (played by Ethan Hawke) takes a job as a bartender and listens to a very fucked up story about a hopeless "girl - man" (more on that in a bit) who "father's - mother's" a son, who we find out turns out to be Ethan Hawke. Oh, and Ethan Hawke has to stop a bomber, but wait! He is the bomber and also the "girl - man".

ย 

Now the futile attempt at an explanation. The "girl - man" starts off as an orphaned girl, OK so far? Who doesn't love a good 'ole fashioned orphan story? Of course, she has a rotten childhood and early adult life. Eventually, she meets her future self (who is now a man), has sex with "himself - herself" and what do you know? Yes, of course, she has a baby. Someone (surprise! it's Ethan Hawke) steals the baby. GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY. She suffers (yada, yada, yada) and as a lonesome loser goes into a bar to tell her sob story to Ethan Hawke, for like 45 minutes. Then, truly, it is our turn to suffer. Ethan Hawke then enlists her on the spot to join his time cop team, under the guise that she can kill the man who stole here baby.

ย 

More bullshit than can be explained happens...

ย 

Finally, we get to where we find out Ethan Hawke is the love child of the "girl - man". Also, that he is also the bomber he's been hunting the whole movie. And also he is the "girl - man", somehow. You know, time travel and all that.

ย 

I've seen bad movies. I like bad movies. But this is not bad; this is an atrocity. A most heinous sin against nature. And man. And woman. And children. And the art of movie making. And soap. Especially soap. The reason? There's not enough soap in the history of time to clean this mess from my mind.

ย 

Please, please do this movie!

ย 

post-51963-0-45578900-1424476049_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry but this was a great movie, you need to rewatch it.

ย 

Agreed. This is a surprisingly good movie.

ย 

Agreed. This is a surprisingly good movie.

ย 

This movie is a worse, less fun version of The One. This movie is Yulaw's bitch.

you guys check this one out, i watched it the other night was really long but crazy.

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFv9eezboI

ย 

I Enjoyed "The Infinite Man" very much Thank You Very Much for that recomendation jarrycanada!

This movie has to be done. I need to hear Jason & Paul explain this one.

ย 

A "Bonkers" counter must be in place for the description of this movie.

• Like 1

This movie has to be done. I need to hear Jason & Paul explain this one.

ย 

A "Bonkers" counter must be in place for the description of this movie.

Also a lot of Jason's "what is happening?" would be expected.

I like the story a lot, but it doesn't quite work as a film because we see these different versions of the character. Keeping an element of surprise means a different actor is used for some of the parts, which allows the reveal(s) to be surprising but requires a greater suspension of disbelief -- and handwaving the physical difference as sci-fi cosmetic surgery is a cheap trope. None of this is necessary in literary form.

ย 

That said, the lead actress was great in this. It's a lot of fun just wrapping your head around the whole puzzle, in a way similar to Primer (another confusing time travel story). Not a capital "G" great film, but I don't see how anyone can say it's a bad movie at all.

• Like 1

I like the story a lot, but it doesn't quite work as a film because we see these different versions of the character. Keeping an element of surprise means a different actor is used for some of the parts, which allows the reveal(s) to be surprising but requires a greater suspension of disbelief -- and handwaving the physical difference as sci-fi cosmetic surgery is a cheap trope. None of this is necessary in literary form.

ย 

That said, the lead actress was great in this. It's a lot of fun just wrapping your head around the whole puzzle, in a way similar to Primer (another confusing time travel story). Not a capital "G" great film, but I don't see how anyone can say it's a bad movie at all.

ย 

Whoa! Your post actually made me wonder if theres a chance I was too harsh on this movie. Also I think after 2 years its maybe time I see it again ( If and when I get around to do that I'll update everyone here on my opinions about Predestination )

ย 

jerrycanada recomended that we watched "The Infinite Man" and I loved it and seen it multiple times so I also recomend it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFv9eezboI

My girlfriends a lot like June and I had to ban her from watching this on Netflix because I know how long it would take me to explain it to her.

Just got done watching this movie, and came straight here to suggest it. This thread must be bumped because this movie is perfect for HDTGM -- a well-known star, decent enough acting, and a barely coherent time travel plot. And the editing choices are nuts. The first 5 minutes sets up a fast-paced sci-fi action movie, and then somehow the next 40(?) minutes goes into the life story of apparently a totally different character. By the time it all ties together, you're already ahead of the big reveal, and all you can see are the problems.

ย 

This movie can literally go fuck itself.