🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 7 - A UFC Weigh-In

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes adults and children of all genders but NOT pets to Spontaneanation! This week he is joined by special guest Kaitlin Olson of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia! They chat about Kaitlin’s favorite invention, changing into soft clothes at home, and the unusual trick-or-treating arrangement on the Olson ancestral home. Paul is then joined by improvisers Mark McConville, Chris Tallman and Jean Villepique, to improvise a story set at a UFC Weigh-In. As always, the astonishing Eban Schletter scores it all on piano. Will Crusher Emily, the Sausage Maker from the Cuyahoga defeat Monster (not Demon) Brad? Tune in to find out!

I love that Paul's contraption-making character from Savannah, Georgia read one of the ads. I hope he keeps recycling characters to read those. It was wonderful.

And of course Dracula, but that character wasn't as fun as Savannah, Georgia (a name I will always hear in Paul's and Marc Evan Jackson's voices).

• Like 5

Pre-Jays. Holy shit. I thought I was the only weirdo that did this. I am so happy I am not.

• Like 3

Eban's inclusion of the Rocky theme towards the end was genius. I wonder how many of his awesome little musical nuggets like that I miss in every episode...

• Like 3

One thing I find interesting about Spontaneanation compared to other improv I've watched/listened to - there's usually a lighter, brighter spirit at work. While it can certainly get dark and weird, there's usually an attempt to reach an up note, however difficult the climb may be, as in this episode after Monster Brad got his mitts on the Sausage Maker.

That may just be the improviser's worldviews or narrative instincts at work, but I like the distinction.

• Like 3

I love that Paul's contraption-making character from Savannah, Georgia read one of the ads. I hope he keeps recycling characters to read those. It was wonderful.

And of course Dracula

I was going to say the same thing, it's such a simple idea but it's ingenious. These are ads I actually enjoy listening to, which is somewhere on a scale from very rare to never happens.

• Like 1

This is good radio!

I also really enjoy the ads with the male and female character stuck in precarious situations.

For my money (which is in fact zero since I'm not paying a flippin' dime!) this is great stuff.

I will buy your junk and watch your specials!

I did it, Paul. I've also done it weird amount of times in the past during this and the Pod F. Tompkast. And if H.G. Wells ever ordered me to do something during the Dead Author's Podcast, I've done it.

This is Kaitlin Olsen - I'll yell, "Hi, Kaitlin!" out loud any day of the week for her. Not even worried about people thinking I'm crazy - in this crazy, modern world we live in, people just wonder if I'm chatting with friends via a headset or something :)

• Like 3

By the way, SICK burn on Mr. Terrific, Paul. That chump deserved to be taken down a notch.

tumblr_no85bqU44a1rw2ofro1_250.png

• Like 4

One thing I find interesting about Spontaneanation compared to other improv I've watched/listened to - there's usually a lighter, brighter spirit at work. While it can certainly get dark and weird, there's usually an attempt to reach an up note, however difficult the climb may be, as in this episode after Monster Brad got his mitts on the Sausage Maker.

That may just be the improviser's worldviews or narrative instincts at work, but I like the distinction.

I agree totally. I don't think there is another comedian out there who can bring the kind of... joy to comedy that PFT can while also incorporating the difficult task of improv and pre-produced segments. This is the same reason why I don't think 'No You Shut Up' could exist with anyone else. Political satire with puppets? Who else could pull that off?

• Like 3

I think its because PFT has such a fun and lighthearted personality. He seems to be so joyful on this podcast in particular and the improvisers feed off of it!

• Like 3

I agree totally. I don't think there is another comedian out there who can bring the kind of... joy to comedy that PFT can while also incorporating the difficult task of improv and pre-produced segments. This is the same reason why I don't think 'No You Shut Up' could exist with anyone else. Political satire with puppets? Who else could pull that off?

Sorry for posting something so similar. It seems great minds think alike!

Guests seemed very confused this week about the cut-to/flashback/flashforwards...

They rallied, though. The second act of the improv especially was super funny. I hope Darla and Kevvie have a happy life together.

look friends, let's get one thing straight:

the Cuyahoga River runs through Cleveland -- Cincinnati is located next to both the Licking River and the Ohio River.

in conclusion, Licking.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this