🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RoryO'Donnell

Ass Backwards

Correct you if you're wrong? You know that you quoted me directly, right?

Of course I know I directly quote you........I meant if the quote was taken too far out of context or if I missed that it was a reference to the original movie......I took the quote at face value, your response made me feel like a I missed something, so I apologized if I was wrong.

Guys, guys, guys...let's all take a step back. I feel it's getting all Internet-y in here.

First of all, Effigy, let me assure you my feathers remain unruffled. We're good. You're free to like or dislike any movie you want to, I may disagree with your opinion, but I'm in no way offended or angry.

Also, although I'm sure he doesn't need me to, I would like to say some things in Blast's defense. There are hundreds of topics here on the Bad Movie Recommendation thread and there is no way the hosts will ever get to them all. In my mind, it's just another place people can go and just talk movies for whatever reason--whether they've seen it or not. A couple weeks ago, I was making fun of the Suicide Squad trailer and that movie doesn't even come out until next year. Who knows, maybe the movie will be great, but I'm still allowed to have a gut level reaction to it, especially since trailers are intended to make you want to go see the movie. And since the purpose of a trailer is to convince you to go see it, we also have to assume the studio is going to put scenes in the trailer that are most representative of the tone and subject matter of the movie. Blast saw the trailer, got the gist of where they were going with it (keeping in mind that it's a reboot of a beloved classic) and said what he wanted to say to get a dialog going with the rest of the community. He did it for the exact same reason you started this thread--to talk about it. And here we are.

Was it harsh? Maybe...? I guess...? Was it more harsh than what you wrote about Ass Backwards? I'd say that's debatable.

In Blast's case he was a ) being intentionally, and humorously, hyperbolic, and b ) he qualified what he was saying by writing "it looks like" as opposed to your opening post where you wrote "Ass Backwards was..." I know this is all semantics, and intentions don't always come across effectively when writing them on the Internet, but I think it does make a difference if we're going to discuss something like, "who's being harsher."

More importantly, Blast wasn't writing his opinion on the Facebook page of the Director/Writer of Vacation, and I think that is where you're getting the most resistance to your suggestion. In my mind, when we're writing on the HDTGM forums, we are ostensibly guests in their house. If you were to suggest suggest Ass Backwards on another Bad Movie Podcast's page, I'm sure no one would give the slightest sliver of a fuck. But to suggest it on the HDTGM forums is basically like being invited over to a friend's house for dinner, being served a complicated meal made from an old family recipe, and then spending the rest of the night complaining to your hosts about how shitty it was.*

In other words, it's not necessarily the suggestion that was the problem, it was the propriety of the suggestion.

*Yes, you have since clarified your initial suggestion to say it wouldn't necessarily be shitting on the movie, and I do believe you when you say that was not your intention. I'm stating this solely on how your suggestion was initially interpreted.

• Like 4

Yea if you legit want to reccommend this movie to be covered by a podcast you'd gain more traction over at We Hate Movies or The Flophouse.

But coming onto this forum and suggesting a movie that not only did one of the hosts make, but is extremely proud (rightfully so) of, and think everyones going to be on board is just silly at best.

It may not be perfect, but its very clearly a labor of love.

• Like 1

Guys, I'm starting a podcast about bad HDTGM recommendations.

I'd really like you to come on the show Effigy and talk about your experiences with this thread. Good posters should be able to laugh at themselves and I've always enjoyed listening to earwolf forum members talk about the posts that didn't go so well.

Regardless, it would seem kind of hypocritical for you to be okay with making a terrible recommendation to a show talking about bad movies and then spend 2 full pages defending yourself; not being able to handle criticism of your own post.

I recently watched this movie and it is not a bad movie. I enjoyed it. It's smart, it's funny, and I really do enjoy the talents of Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael, two of the sweetest in the business. They're not the two leading people that I expect to see in an R rated comedy and that's why I think there are so many critical opinions of this movie. I don't usually agree with critics on what is a good movie or not. This movie wasn't made to cater to general audiences. If it's good enough for June to plug, I recommend giving it a watch. It's on Netflix.

(SPOILER ALERT) I loved that the wrapped everything up with a song by my favorite artist, Ingrid Michaelson. I'm not ashamed to admit, I love her music. Wrapping everything up with an Ingrid Michaelson song gives the movie bonus points in my mind.

• Like 1

I meant "didn't go so well" in terms of a 4.1 on IMDB and 28% on Rotten Tomatoes (along with a 15% from audience reviews). I didn't mean her personal opinion or even the financial success.

The film wasn't made for critics. I'm no movie critic and I really enjoyed it. Critics don't always know what they are talking about. They once rated a movie highly that I detest so much I won't even mention it by name. The movie even had Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman in it and they couldn't redeem it.

The film wasn't made for critics. I'm no movie critic and I really enjoyed it. Critics don't always know what they are talking about. They once rated a movie highly that I detest so much I won't even mention it by name. The movie even had Bryan Cranston and Ron Perlman in it and they couldn't redeem it.

Are you talking about "Drive", because I agree with you. I really don't get what all the fuss is about with that movie, but it's a Nicolas Winding Refn movie. That guy is so far up his own ass, he's coming out of his mouth again in a perpetual loop of pretentiousness.

The only movie he did that I enjoyed was "Bronson", and that was because of Tom Hardy's performance. I saw "Only God Forgives" and it's one of the worst pieces of shit I have ever seen, just cinematic "oooooh, I am so artsy" wankery.

• Like 1

Are you talking about "Drive", because I agree with you. I really don't get what all the fuss is about with that movie, but it's a Nicolas Winding Refn movie. That guy is so far up his own ass, he's coming out of his mouth again in a perpetual loop of pretentiousness.

The only movie he did that I enjoyed was "Bronson", and that was because of Tom Hardy's performance. I saw "Only God Forgives" and it's one of the worst pieces of shit I have ever seen, just cinematic "oooooh, I am so artsy" wankery.

Yes, I hate it so much I don't like to bring up the name.

Guys, I'm starting a podcast about bad HDTGM recommendations.

I'd really like you to come on the show Effigy and talk about your experiences with this thread. Good posters should be able to laugh at themselves and I've always enjoyed listening to earwolf forum members talk about the posts that didn't go so well.

Regardless, it would seem kind of hypocritical for you to be okay with making a terrible recommendation to a show talking about bad movies and then spend 2 full pages defending yourself; not being able to handle criticism of your own post.

Sounds fun, probably be more entertaining than this thread turned out to be.

Sounds fun, probably be more entertaining than this thread turned out to be.

Well, if that's the case, let Smigg come to the rescue!

What's the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer?

THE TASTE!!

• Like 1

If you are cool with subtitles or speak Danish I would highly recommend the Pusher trilogy. They tried to remake it in the UK, but it fell flat, however his original trilogy is excellent. (and I say that as someone who disliked Drive, but also liked Bronson)

I'm great with subtitles, three of my all time favourite films are Ong Bak, The Raid and 13 Assassins.

On the topic on films with subtitles, some of best movies I recently learned about and watched have been subtitled. I gotta say for a culture that brought us that guy that wears a suit, sunglasses, is a little chubby, and does a silly dance like he's strattling and lasso'ing all at the same time, Korean movies are pretty sweet. I definitely enjoyed Oldboy, The Host, and Thieves.

On the topic on films with subtitles, some of best movies I recently learned about and watched have been subtitled. I gotta say for a culture that brought us that guy that wears a suit, sunglasses, is a little chubby, and does a silly dance like he's strattling and lasso'ing all at the same time, Korean movies are pretty sweet. I definitely enjoyed Oldboy, The Host, and Thieves.

Korean thrillers / revenge movies, at this point, have far surpassed Hollywood's imo, I Saw The Devil is a near masterpiece

Korean thrillers / revenge movies, at this point, have far surpassed Hollywood's imo, I Saw The Devil is a near masterpiece

As a citizen and resident of the United States of America, it disappoints me that all there there is nothing near as exciting to watch in theaters here as there are around the world. Although, I might just be going to the wrong theaters.

What I like about foreign films is that since it is made by a certain culture for that culture you get a window into how they see themselves rather than Hollywood cliches of that culture. I get that some people don't like having to look at the bottom of the screen the whole time and it does detract having to read the dialog, but the gain is always worth so much more IMO. Plus I definitely pay much more attention to foreign films since there it's impossible to fuck around on my phone while reading the screen (unless it's a bad foreign movie)

• Like 3

No matter what you think of this movie, HDTGM cannot do it. HDTGM only does studio films. Ass Backwards is an independent film.

Such as The Room or Birdemic?

• Like 1

Such as The Room or Birdemic?

I think EVERYONE remembers the year that "Easy Rider 2" was supposed to be the big summer tentpole movie. If I saw ONE more fast food tie-in for that thing...

• Like 2

Is any movie the hosts are in off limits? I wouldn't mind hearing June talk about Unfinished Business. Guess that is also supposed to be a comedy despite being one the unfunniest things I have seen recently.

• Like 1

That's a great movie, but I'll admit there were times where I was like "holy shit I may need to stop watching this" because as June would say it was really upsetting. The scene with the pipe in the car was just brutal. While not anywhere near as well put together as Devil, I can only recommend seeing Mark Duplass in Creep as he was able to come across as an amazing psychopath who always leaves you guessing what the fuck is going on, and even though the movie is barely over 70 minutes long, the level of uncomfort that he's able to create makes you realize you probably couldn't watch any longer.

Sign in to follow this