🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 378 — Mailer Daemon

Any list that doesn't have #329 - Too Much Tuna Tour is not my list.

If you were here I'd whip your list at you, you stooge. I have cashmere sweaters that are higher on my list, that I could buy and sell! (I had to sell my sweaters.) HUMP WEEK. Gotta get to the end of the month.

Never forget your root.

Ya gahta be aware....

• Like 1

*imagines Scott Aukerman's pubes* hmmmm *nods*

*puts on shades*

I could get used to this...

*fade to black*

• Like 5

Guys let's do our top 10 eps of the year once more, here's mine:

This might be the most C+ year in CBB history.

But I have to say, the vows + song at Gillian Jacobs's wedding ceremony is my favorite CBB moment of all time.

Dear Garry,

I love that this episode, like "The Stallone Bros" with Paul Scheer, is entirely based on a throwaway line that happens two minutes into the show. Nick Kroll is the undisputed king of derailment.

• Like 14

Nothing makes my Monday better than seeing J-Man on the old P-Cast

And I wonder who's gonna promote their new stand-up special next Monday? Hmmmm...

"I do enjoy the Comedy Bang Bang TV show, but not the podcast..."

"Haha, you're like the opposite of everyone."

[holds back a snicker]

• Like 6

I wanna take care of this. Does anyone have a good picture of Scott that they themselves took and thus own the rights to? If you'd be willing to release such a pic into the public domain or license it under a Creative Commons license (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA) PM me and I'll help you get it up to replace "Husky Scott." Let's spruce up this fucking Wikipedia entry, for Chrissakes.

• Like 1

does this mean that Chupacabra's baby friend grew up to be dr. conrad murray?

• Like 8

does this mean that Chupacabra's baby friend grew up to be dr. conrad murray?

I think baby was dr Conrad Murray all along, it just never came up

• Like 2

"You're like the opposite of everybody!"

Loved this ep.

I think the TV Show is an entirely different beast than the podcast. It's an odd thing to say considering they share the same name, but comparing the two doesn't feel fair, to me. One is an entirely improvised free-form conversation audio podcast, often over an hour and thirty minutes in length, and the other is a 22 minute mostly-scripted sketch show with some improv thrown in. In general, comparing podcasts to television isn't fair.

• Like 4

I'm currently 13 minutes in. And I just have to say: Mailer Damon Wayans. I might be back with more later.

• Like 7

I love that this episode, like "The Stallone Bros" with Paul Scheer, is entirely based on a throwaway line that happens two minutes into the show. Nick Kroll is the undisputed king of derailment.

That's why I love Too Much Tuna Tour so much. Recently, I kept thinking about how I was crying laughing during the first segment of that episode due to Nick's antics (as himself). So a week ago I downloaded the episode again, and whenever I've cleared my subscription queue of new podcast eps, I've re-listened to that ep with its powerhouse first segment with Nick and Scott, and the second being George and Gil back and in great form, and the reason why that whole episode is great is exactly what you just said: The whole thing is based on throwaway lines. Too Much Tuna Tour is more structured in that Nick and John stay in character as Gil and George, but their WHOLE DEAL is casting out throwaway lines and then seeing where it takes them.

Hump Week! as a concept and Nick's delivery of that line is so good, and Punch Luke Lupus ("my parents are huge Sandler fans- the serious stuff only") and Milk Voice with his "longtime caller first time listener" questions about Ruxon and The League are so funny. It's just bits on bits on bits and they're cast away to make room for whatever's coming next. EVERYTHING is up for grabs.

Even Scott's and Nick's opening conversation about Kroll Show Season 3 was teeming with throwaway gems.

SCOTT: "You knew you were done-zo, but you thought it'd be fun-zo."

NICK: "Yeah, exactly, you know, you have such a way with putting Z-O's at the end of words."

SCOTT: "Mine's a true hybrid."

NICK: "Oh is it?"

SCOTT: "You know, like a car hybrid where you're going back and forth from electricity to gas?"

NICK: "Uh huh. Uh huh. Running on fumes?"

I love that first segment so MUCH. Then of course Mulaney and Kroll are unstoppable as George and Gil. I can't heap high enough praise on their stream-of-consciousness improvisations that are very much in the same vein as Kroll's riffing in the first segment. They go for a funny concept or talking point, then springboard off it over and over again. Like Koch coming out to them, not as a homosexual but as annoying, whom they thought was a big goose that they were hunting for meat. Insanity.

I could go on.

ANYWAY, to tie this big comment into today's episode, I thought it was quite a moment of kismet that I had just revisited Kroll's last major appearance on CBB not even a week ago (his only other appearances this year were on that messy SXSW ep where Horatio played Kanye, and then Nick called in on a Kevin Pollak/Seth Morris ep that I cannot recall at all), only to have today's episode drop to my great pleasure of full on Nick Kroll action.

The episode description actually gave me false expectations. Jason is such a CBB lore guy (whether it be the Daly-verse or the Wompler-verse) and with the mention of a reality-bending Mailer Daemon creature, I was prepared for an episode much more cohesive and strict to that particular premise. What we got was what the episode description did say, but with so many more delightful, unexpected twists and turns.

The continuous perverting of 'Heynong Man,' the 'Oh Fuck' coming/injured sequences, all of Nick's characters popping in and out (which is so easy to get swept up in and think that Nick has control of the room, only to be reminded that Scott and Jason are just playing along, and that they can— with a single comment— trip Nick up relatively easily by requesting that more of the characters Nick is juggling speak up and give their thoughts), and then if there was a way to make Jeffrey Characterwheaties any better, it was by bringing in Fabrice Fabrice to espouse on the controversy concerning the origins of the Jason Mantzoukas character. I also loved Jason's unabashed praise of the Plugs bag theme. He was succinct in why he enjoyed it, and I found myself nodding in agreement then going back and listening to it a second time.

I love that we're getting more Mantzoukas this year, and I am absolutely head over heels for Nick's two, rollicking in-studio performances of 2015.

• Like 12

P.S. Btw, for anyone looking to make some photoshopped Jeffrey Characterwheaties materials, I believe that with the description of the photo being black and white with a clean-shaven Mantzoukas, they are probably referring to the image used on the Earwolf (and UCB's and FunnyOrDie's) sites. It is the only black and white, clean shaven headshot of young Jason circulating the web, to the best of my binging abilities.

I'm currently 13 minutes in. And I just have to say: Mailer Damon Wayans. I might be back with more later.

Quick follow-up: No, I have nothing else.

• Like 4

Zouks and Scott trying to get someone to play themselves and the character by noting their silence is never not hilarious.

• Like 10

The zero joke that Scott & Zouks made in unison, them erupting with laughter, & then Scott saying, "I love you, Jason" earnestly under all that giggling, made me so very happy.

I love everyone's friendship!

What a fun & hilarious episode!

• Like 14

That plugs theme was legit great. I hope the next plugs theme samples everyone digitally cumming

• Like 9

No post-Emmys Amy Poehler? I guess Nick Kroll is the next closest thing.

Love the fact that there was a John/Andy Daly mixup (and save).

I wanna take care of this. Does anyone have a good picture of Scott that they themselves took and thus own the rights to? If you'd be willing to release such a pic into the public domain or license it under a Creative Commons license (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA) PM me and I'll help you get it up to replace "Husky Scott." Let's spruce up this fucking Wikipedia entry, for Chrissakes.

No.

Put the old picture back up.

164236.jpg

• Like 11

Fun fact: It actually took 13 utterances of 'Mailer Daemon' for him to appear. Spine-chilling, especially because he knocked IMMEDIATELY after the 13th utterance.

• Like 4