🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 378 — Mailer Daemon

Well, apologies, haha. I felt like transcribing these two instances of Nick clawing his way out of his phone prison so now I'm posting them.

NICK: What did I miss? What're you guys talking about?

SCOTT: We just ate each others' pubes.

JASON: We just ate each others' pubes on a bagel.

NICK: Andthenyou're-now you're talking about sprouts?

JASON: Yeah.

SCOTT: Yeah, pretty much.

NICK: Awe, fuck this.

JASON: You're going back in?!

• Like 3

JASON: You know what? One of the best things that's ever happened is that we did that show based on the mats on the floor here in the studio. The hay dog mats.

SCOTT: The hay dog mats, yeah.

JASON: They're dog mats made of hay.

NICK: Ohhhh god...

JASON: Nick?!

SCOTT: Nick, you're back!

NICK: I'm back, I'm back, I'm back!

JASON: Hay dog mats!

SCOTT: Hay dog mats!

NICK: ?... hUNH?!

SCOTT: Hay dog mats.

JASON: Hay dog mats.

NICK: That's not what it is!

JASON: What do you mean?

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

JASON: Oh no! Mailer Daemon just shot Nick Kroll!

SCOTT: Why?! If he has the powers of demons?!

NICK: yuuhhhhh

SCOTT: Where'd he shoot you? Nick?!

NICK: D-D-Don't believe him...

JASON: Nick! Tell us-

SCOTT: Hay dog mats! We gotta reset! Hay dog mats!

JASON: Hay dog mats!

NICK: Don't believe the hype...

JASON: 'Don't believe the hype'?

NICK: Don't believe the hype!

JASON: Great song, man.

SCOTT: 'Voting Public Enemy'?

JASON: Public Enemy!

SCOTT: 'Elvis was a hero to most!'

NICK: Don't believe the hype!

JASON: 'They never done shit for me!'

SCOTT: 'Straight out racist!'

NICK: Everything... It's... It's Compton that's popular, NOT EAST COAST RAP!!

SCOTT: Compt-? Wait- what's 'Compton'?

JASON: Hmm

SCOTT: What's

MAILER DAEMON: HEY COMPTON MAN!

SCOTT: Hey Compton man!

JASON: Hey Compton man!

SCOTT: That's what it is, right?

JASON: I think so.

SCOTT: I guess I forgot it. It's 'Hey Compton Man.'

JASON: Hey... yeah...

SCOTT: Straight out of Compton, man!

JASON: Straight out of Compton, man.

SCOTT: 'Straight out of Compton, man.' That's what it is.

JASON: That's what it is.

SCOTT: Alright, well let's reset—

• Like 4

Sorry I keep monopolizing the comment thread, but I forgot to mention a thought I had a while ago--

One thing I love about this episode is that it's a stellar third entry in the Heynong Man saga.

The first episode was about Scott and Jason delighting in a hilarious nonsense phrase, and then, joined by Mike the Janitor, taking Heynong Man for a huge spin wherein they devised a 'safe space' relationship with the phrase, empowering it to reset the proceedings and return the gang back to a place of security and comfort when each participant agreed to use it.

The second episode with Joe Bongo was where Jason was extremely wary of Scott's silly turns of phrase he was attempting to crowbar into Heynong Man. Jason shot down attempt after attempt made by Scott to make goofy variations because in doing so the phrase would lose its power.

Then this episode turns those concerns on its ear by basically introducing the chaotic force that is The Mailer Daemon. Kroll, who was chastised by Jason at the start of the episode when he got the phrase wrong, latches onto what is at its core an inside joke between Scott, Jason and the listener, and proceeds to abstract the phrase into oblivion. He creates permutation on top of permutation, and in doing so weaves a narrative (with the yes and'ing of Scott and Jason) wherein the co-creators of Heynong Man don't realize they can no longer return to their safe space due to the twisting and obfuscating of their 'safe phrase.'

Scott and Jason continue to try and use the phrase to reset, but it's like jamming on a red button with the wires cut. While they suspect there are no wires attached, they never have enough time to check. The Mailer Daemon has seen to that, demolishing all safe spaces. Scott and Jason couldn't even save Nick with a reset after the Mailer Daemon shot him when he tried to warn them that they weren't saying the phrase correctly— "That's not what it is!"— which Nick would remember as important to Scott and Jason, having been reprimanded at the start of the show for his incorrect usage.

Live Taylor then shows up as an authoritative figure who represents himself as someone with all of the answers who can fix their problem, but by the time he runs away and hits the wall after declaring success when he has Scott and Jason attempt a reset (again, giving them the wrong phrase), then angrily, sarcastically repeating 'Fuck Compton Man' and 'Hey Compton Man' over and over while angrily locking eyes, the message is clear-- in the reality of the show, Nick, Scott and Jason are at the mercy of Kroll's reality-bending Mailer Daemon, their precious phrase has been irreparably de-powered, and none of the 'helpful' characters Scott and Jason decide to trust are actually helpful. They're all working for the Mailer Daemon, i.e., Kroll.

Besides that moment of Live Taylor's exit being side-splittingly funny (So funny; So, so funny!), I also thought it was almost a sly, winking move on Nick's part. "Screw you guys for jumping down my throat for not using your precious inside-joke-y, nonsense phrase correctly."

All of Jason's worst fears from the second installment were laid bare in this episode— Heynong Man was robbed of all of its power and was relentlessly turned into shades upon shades of gibberish— and Jason himself was laid bare when he played a part in his own dissection as Jeffrey Character-Wheaties, revealing himself to be nothing more than a grotesque commentary of a man; a brash and perverted sex fiend, but possessing quirky-yet-somewhat-relatable weaknesses such as an egg allergy, or obsessive-compulsive tendencies expressed through hypochondriacal behaviors such as strictly wearing white oxford shirts so that visual proof of disinfection is apparent whenever they are treated with bleach. (Other than the egg allergy, I have NO idea if any of this is remotely true; but what's important to the enjoyment of the show is that Jason the person is comfortable with these kinds of jokes at his expense)

In the context of the episode, it was a HUGE payoff to Jason's worst nightmares from the second installment, and in the context of entertainment, they successfully got to swing 'Heynong Man' around like a bullroarer in a small garage, just smashing it into random shit, eventually fracturing it, shattering it, and watching its pieces clatter out onto the driveway, instead of finding solace in its hum when used correctly.

Then all was made right in the one moment they weren't concerned with resetting the Mailer Daemon's wrongs. The Mailer Daemon's chaotic machinations were completely sidelined when Character-Wheaties eclipsed all of it by becoming Jason again through the use of sexually graphic in-phrases, prompting Scott— wishing to rein in Jason the only way he knows how— to instinctually scrounge up a "Heynong Man." What I'm saying is Jason saved them all by talkin' 'tang.

Such a good episode.

EDIT: I also love that The Mailer Daemon is summoned after his name is said a set number of times (guessed as eight times by Scott; in reality they said it 13 times), much like Beetlejuice, except to summon Beetlejuice his name must be said three times. What else must be said three times? HEYNONG MAN.

• Like 8

This is the first time I've heard Jason do a character ( or should I say out of character ) and it was great!

meta

A term, especially in art, used to characterize something that is characteristically self-referential.

This is the first time I've heard Jason do a character ( or should I say out of character ) and it was great!

Ol' Sour puss,

You didn't listen 2 weeks ago when he was reprising his Gutterman character again for Wompler's Birthday bash?

• Like 6

KajusX - are you trying to get a job with the AV Club doing comedy bang bang re-cap articles? Just remember to assign the episode a grade, and don't forget the 'stray observations'

• Like 3

KajusX - are you trying to get a job with the AV Club doing comedy bang bang re-cap articles? Just remember to assign the episode a grade, and don't forget the 'stray observations'

Yes AND uh, C+, and, and, uh, I have a stray observation which is that I liked how Nick reinforced the presence of the Mailer Daemon in non-MD portions of the show by occasionally letting out a foreboding, evil laugh.

• Like 5

The Dr Conrad Murray part was killing me on my drive in, its taking a lot of effort to save the end for my drive home since I heard Fabrice peek his voice out as I was getting out of the car this morning.

Since it seems all of his shows and relationships are ending, can we get some more Kroll in our CBB? I'd love to see him become a regular again the way Mantzouks has been on a lot lately. Maybe a Kroll/Daly appearance as the Rich Dicks talking about their favorite politician, Donald Trump

• Like 5

Yes AND uh, C+, and, and, uh, I have a stray observation which is that I liked how Nick reinforced the presence of the Mailer Daemon in non-MD portions of the show by occasionally letting out a foreboding, evil laugh.

Also don't forget to add a "We see what you said there" -segment.

• Like 1

That plugs theme was legit great. I hope the next plugs theme samples everyone digitally cumming

I also loved the plugs theme but Scott was so tired that he forgot to mention the Forum/Souncloud user and the name of the song so I searched in the forum and here it is... ( Download link icon in soundcloud :D )

"place the plug, into your ear... and allow it to expand"

http://soundcloud.co...ic/back-in-town

P.S. : "ANTOINE FUQUA!!!!"

• Like 5

P.S. Btw, for anyone looking to make some photoshopped Jeffrey Characterwheaties materials, I believe that with the description of the photo being black and white with a clean-shaven Mantzoukas, they are probably referring to the image used on the Earwolf (and UCB's and FunnyOrDie's) sites. It is the only black and white, clean shaven headshot of young Jason circulating the web, to the best of my binging abilities.

Um, I hope you binged that on Google.

• Like 2

The plugs themes have been remarkable the last few months. We need a compilation album.

LOVE that the current Scottypedia pic is a random insane Ghostbusters costume shot that I have no context for (and never want to).

• Like 2

Maybe a Kroll/Daly appearance as the Rich Dicks

Yes! This please!! A thousand times yes!!!

Oh, also, I forgot to post this earlier, from the picklesandwine.tumblr:

"Rafi gifs: VERY popular on the web. Lots of gifs of me sitting naked on toilets eating hot dogs."

tumblr_mwsb9gKlOR1r4teu1o4_400.gif

• Like 7

I also loved the plugs theme but Scott was so tired that he forgot to mention the Forum/Souncloud user and the name of the song so I searched in the forum and here it is... ( Download link icon in soundcloud :D )

P.S. : "ANTOINE FUQUA!!!!"

thanks for all the plug theme love! :wub:

• Like 4

Great ep.

Nick Kroll is a phenomenal improviser.

The mailer daemon - I was sure that was something that he had planned. But then you realize he just took it from a silly aside and formed a full-fledged insane character on the spot. And then managed to insert that into the heynongman-verse without it being clear at all if he actually knew much/anything about it.

Then cornered by Scott into a potentially offensive/racist impression of Conrad Murray he side-stepped it hilariously with that ridiculous baby voice - very funny stuff. And the wall accidents were great...

Personally it sucks perhaps that Kroll is less busy now that he stopped his show but for us, selfish fans, it's great to have one of the CBB greats back on the show. Hopefully he'll come by more often now.

Also, now that Scott is dead, looking forward to see who the new host might invite... I wonder if perhaps we might be graced by a visit from Lucian Charms, President of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and famous Belfast pirate.

• Like 3