🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 123.5 - MINISODE 123.5

She's the gif that keeps on gifing...

Thanks for all the recommendation everyone, any DC recs also welcome

I do not read much DC stuff (currently reading the newest Black Canary run & it's pretty fun) but I do read a lot from Image Comics. Maybe you can give them a try, too?

One of their best ongoing series is Saga, & oh boy, it's fantastic.

• Like 3

I'm not going to commit to reading everything in the canon but I do like reading a good comic book series now and again (got some of the classic Daredevil story collections on my wishlist). I tried some New Avengers storylines but got hopelessly confused by the constant references to other events that weren't in the collection I was reading.

Any recommendations for good self-contained collections I could read from the Marvel universe? Any character(s), any era. Also DC actually, I'm guilty of not looking past Batman when it comes to their stable.

In a completely unrelated topic, I think there are people out there who redraw action pictures from DC and Marvel comics with male characters in the poses that are normally drawn for the female ones. It leads to some preposterous poses and suggestion butt action and is a very witty way of showing how the depiction of male and female characters differs.

Alright here I go.

For Marvel:

The last two runs of Daredevil by Mark Waid are really good and are easy enough that people who haven't read the series to that point won't be lost.

The last two runs of Deadpool, first by Daniel Way and then Gary Duggan & Brian Posehn, are great because they are basically blank slates for a character who was essential a side character for the longest time in Marvel.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction.

Wolverine & the X-Men by Jason Aaron is hilarious and amazeballs, gotta love Doop.

Avengers Arena is a great spin on the murder game genre like Battle Royale and Hunger Games.

Marvel Zombies is a great self contained storyline with great horror and gore.

For DC:

The current run of Suicide Squad is a great intro to the team dynamic leading up to the movie.

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello is a must read for comic fans, and this is coming from a person who wasn't the biggest fan of the character at the start,

Injustice: Gods Among Us is an amazing tie-in series to the video games that really fleshes that universe out.

Vertigo/Image/IDW/Etc.:

TheWalking Dead is still amazing 150 issues in.

Preacher or The Boys by Garth Ennis are vile, disgusting and incredible.

Thief of Thieves is an awesome crime series.

Concrete Park mixes gang warfare and sci-fi really well.

Ghosted is fantastic at blending heist caper and supernatural.

Southern Bastards is a great crime thriller set in the south.

The Humans is fun as it blends Planet of the Apes and Sons of Anarchy in a Tijuana Bible style of book.

Hopefully this helps you out.

• Like 2

I always feel left out during this part of the thread because I don't read comics. I'm a fiend about reading TV Tropes/Wikipedia to learn about the characters and their arcs, because I do really enjoy that aspect. I can't afford to spend any extra time reading anything other than caselaw. Any spare time I have goes to drinking, complaining about work and dreaming about all the expensive scotch I'm going to buy once I get real clients to bitch about.

giphy.gif

Anybody watch Jessica Jones yet?

I am about three episodes from the end, which means I'll probably be up too late tonight finishing it up. I've never read Alias, so I didn't really know what to expect going into it, but I think it's pretty amazing. The casting is perfect!

I know you don't have much spare time, but you may be interested in the latest volume of She-Hulk. I haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things. Dan Slott did a run awhile ago that was very good as well.

I do not read much DC stuff (currently reading the newest Black Canary run & it's pretty fun) but I do read a lot from Image Comics. Maybe you can give them a try, too?

One of their best ongoing series is Saga, & oh boy, it's fantastic.

Oh boy, if we're not just sticking to Marvel/DC, we'll be here all night...and I've got Jessica Jones to finish :)

• Like 3

giphy.gif

Anybody watch Jessica Jones yet?

I WATCHED EVERY BIT AND I KINDA WANT TO WATCH IT AGAIN BECAUSE IT'S SO PERFECT AND KRYSTEN RITTER IS PERFECT! *screams*

• Like 3

I'm gonna be watching it this week since I'm off until next Tuesday, I liked the 20 minutes I've watched so far.

• Like 2

I am about three episodes from the end, which means I'll probably be up too late tonight finishing it up. I've never read Alias, so I didn't really know what to expect going into it, but I think it's pretty amazing. The casting is perfect!

I know you don't have much spare time, but you may be interested in the latest volume of She-Hulk. I haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things. Dan Slott did a run awhile ago that was very good as well.

I'll look into that after exam season! I'm down for a lawyer kicking ass in and out of court. But I need to study first because...

giphy.gif

I enjoyed the hell out of Daredevil because they went to court and inadvertently made me think about defense counsel ethics before I took the class. I do think it is problematic of him to use his power to ascertain a client's guilt and decided whether or not to take the case after that.

• Like 3

She's the gif that keeps on gifing...

Thanks for all the recommendation everyone, any DC recs also welcome

Batman's been my jam since I was about 6 years old, so most of my DC recommendations are going to be centered around the Batfamily. As we talked about earlier in the thread, DC's crossovers are usually more self-contained, so the collected volumes are usually pretty good for those. I'd highly recommend Final Crisis. And then I'd recommend reading the follow-upsBattle for the Cowl and The Return of Bruce Wayne. But Final Crisis stands alone pretty well, too.

Flashpoint was really good, too. The main story was "meh," but at least it brought the Barry Allen Flash back into current continuity. Probably the best thing about Flashpoint was the World of Flashpoint tie-ins, and if you can find the Batman tie-in from that series, it's AMAZING (they used the storyline for the DCAU Flashpoint movie).

Since I don't know how versed you are in DC, I'll go ahead and mention the classic Bat stories, too:

• The Killing Joke
  • Batman: Year One
  • Hush
  • The Dark Knight Returns
  • The Long Halloween
  • Probably some other that I've totally forgotten to mention

For non-superhero comics, there are a few series I love and recommend. Saga is one of the best things out right now. I know it was already mentioned, but goddamn, it's so good. It's another Brian K Vaughan title, and Fiona Staples is the illustrator, and she's a fucking champ. It's one of the best titles I've read in recent years.

Fables is also wonderful. That's on Vertigo, which is a DC imprint, so it still technically counts as a DC recommendation, right? The premise is basically that all the characters from fairy tales have been run out of their homeland by their nemesis and now reside in NYC. It's hard to go into much detail beyond that, but it's really great.

Someone else already recommended Preacher, so I'm going to say The Boys, which is another Garth Ennis book. It's about a group that is out to protect citizens from superheroes (I know I said non-superhero, but this one isn't REALLY a superhero comic). It's basically Ennis' way to make fun of all superhero comics. It's violent and weird, and it's super funny.

(Also, your signature makes me laugh every time. I love Danger 5 so goddamn much)

• Like 3

Same! I have three episodes left, and I should be watching them so I don't stay up until midnight, but instead I'm posting on the Earwolf boards. I'm totally loving it so far. Ritter has been the hardest thing for me to buy into because she'll always be Jane from Breaking Bad to me, but I eventually came around on her. Tennant is soooo wonderful, and I love the choice to play him as charismatic and often downright likeable because that makes him that more terrifying when he does crazy shit (also, his purple suits are so awesome!).

I think my uncle already ruined the ending for me via social media, but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

• Like 3

Batman's been my jam since I was about 6 years old, so most of my DC recommendations are going to be centered around the Batfamily. As we talked about earlier in the thread, DC's crossovers are usually more self-contained, so the collected volumes are usually pretty good for those. I'd highly recommend Final Crisis. And then I'd recommend reading the follow-upsBattle for the Cowl and The Return of Bruce Wayne. But Final Crisis stands alone pretty well, too.

Flashpoint was really good, too. The main story was "meh," but at least it brought the Barry Allen Flash back into current continuity. Probably the best thing about Flashpoint was the World of Flashpoint tie-ins, and if you can find the Batman tie-in from that series, it's AMAZING (they used the storyline for the DCAU Flashpoint movie).

Since I don't know how versed you are in DC, I'll go ahead and mention the classic Bat stories, too:

• The Killing Joke
  • Batman: Year One
  • Hush
  • The Dark Knight Returns
  • The Long Halloween
  • Probably some other that I've totally forgotten to mention

For non-superhero comics, there are a few series I love and recommend. Saga is one of the best things out right now. I know it was already mentioned, but goddamn, it's so good. It's another Brian K Vaughan title, and Fiona Staples is the illustrator, and she's a fucking champ. It's one of the best titles I've read in recent years.

Fables is also wonderful. That's on Vertigo, which is a DC imprint, so it still technically counts as a DC recommendation, right? The premise is basically that all the characters from fairy tales have been run out of their homeland by their nemesis and now reside in NYC. It's hard to go into much detail beyond that, but it's really great.

Someone else already recommended Preacher, so I'm going to say The Boys, which is another Garth Ennis book. It's about a group that is out to protect citizens from superheroes (I know I said non-superhero, but this one isn't REALLY a superhero comic). It's basically Ennis' way to make fun of all superhero comics. It's violent and weird, and it's super funny.

(Also, your signature makes me laugh every time. I love Danger 5 so goddamn much)

I'm a huge Azzarello fan and loved his version of Batman in the Flashpoint storyline because the world he created using a simple changing of one moment in DC history is incredible and I wish there was more than just those couple issues for that character to be fleshed out. Also I would include Joker and Luthor, also done by Azzarello, which are stories from the perspectives of Lex Luthor and a character working for the Joker. They are really fleshed out and give the reader an slight understanding of their world and why they do the things that they do, also Joker could easily be viewed as a direct sequel to The Dark Knight since it's very grounded in reality. Another great one is Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar which might be one of the greatest What If? comics stories ever.

I too loved Fables, though I think the series ending was kinda rushed, but the journey to that point is great. Also, again I'll recommend The Boys because of how great and fucked up it is, though be prepared it is not for the feint of heart with how they handle certain topics.

• Like 1

Tennant is soooo wonderful, and I love the choice to play him as charismatic and often downright likeable because that makes him that more terrifying when he does crazy shit (also, his purple suits are so awesome!).

I think my uncle already ruined the ending for me via social media, but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

David Tennant does unspeakable things to me even without his voice, so I understand the concept behind this series all too well.

giphy.gif

(This is also the best vampire movie IMHO)

• Like 1

David Tennant does unspeakable things to me even without his voice, so I understand the concept behind this series all too well.

giphy.gif

(This is also the best vampire movie IMHO)

Well be ready because he's voicing one of the main characters in the cartoon based on the comics series Chew by John Layman, another great read by the way. It's interesting that he wasn't the initial choice for his role though, as I had met Layman at a convention and he explained that the production got postponed slight as the original actor for the role, Robin Williams, had committed suicide and needed to be replaced, despite him recording more than half of his lines. This ultimately led to Tennant being cast along with Steve Yeun from the Walking Dead in the lead role and Felicia Day in the role of his girlfriend.

• Like 3

So I'm watching "Hackers" on Netflix right now, and while I know I've seen parts of it, this may be the first time that I've ever watched it in its entirety. I'm convinced though that it is a movie that has absolutely no idea how humans speak out loud, whether it's to themselves or to each other. Also, SO much ADR...

• Like 3

I've been a bit busy and missed out on some great comics talk but again I will repeat this until I'm blue in the face, but I can't express my love for The Superior Foes of Spider-Man enough. It doesn't tie into any Spider-Man title, Spider-Man isn't a character, it's just a smart and goofy heist story. I've gotten people who've never read any Spider-Man to read it and they have enjoyed it and found it accessible.

Also I second Slott's time on She-Hulk. I think it gets forgotten a lot nowadays about but is very excellent.

• Like 1

Do any of y'all do any of the kind of nerd-centric subscription boxes? I think Loot Crate was a sponsor for a while, but it's really hit or miss.

I've been doing the Marvel Collector Corps since it started, and I just got the first Smuggler's Bounty (the Star Wars box). They're both run by Funko, so you're guaranteed 1-2 Funko figures in each box. The Hulkbuster Iron Man was in the first Marvel box and is still probably the best one yet.

Since we're talking about comics (and I'm almost always talking about Star Wars), I was just curious if any of you guys did any of those boxes and what y'all thought about them.

• Like 1

Ritter has been the hardest thing for me to buy into because she'll always be Jane from Breaking Bad to me, but I eventually came around on her.

See I was a huge Veronica Mars fan before she was even on Breaking Bad so to me she will always be Gia, the daughter of fuckin' Steve Guttenberg.

I've been following her career ever since and I was heartbroken when what happened on Breaking Bad happened (trying to avoid spoilers for anyone who still wants to watch it) and even more so when Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 was cancelled cause she was so charming and hilarious in that! But to finally see her in such a successful franchise makes me feel like a proud mama bear (even though she's 5 years older than me I think...)

Tennant is soooo wonderful, and I love the choice to play him as charismatic and often downright likeable because that makes him that more terrifying when he does crazy shit (also, his purple suits are so awesome!).

It's actually making it very hard to see him as anything other than a fucking dickwad of a human, which only proves how amazing he is as this character. Kilgrave makes my skin crawl and I think I'm gonna need to go watch all of David's DW seasons again just to wash my mind clean of the grossness.

• Like 2

Do any of y'all do any of the kind of nerd-centric subscription boxes? I think Loot Crate was a sponsor for a while, but it's really hit or miss.

I've been doing the Marvel Collector Corps since it started, and I just got the first Smuggler's Bounty (the Star Wars box). They're both run by Funko, so you're guaranteed 1-2 Funko figures in each box. The Hulkbuster Iron Man was in the first Marvel box and is still probably the best one yet.

Since we're talking about comics (and I'm almost always talking about Star Wars), I was just curious if any of you guys did any of those boxes and what y'all thought about them.

I've been with Loot Crate for 9 months or so, and I agree with you, they're very hit and miss. I still enjoy getting it though since there is always something for my son in there. I also tried Nerd Block for a little bit, but it was just too much pop culture junk with my pre-existing Loot Crate.

As far as meal subscription services, I did Blue Apron for a couple of months, but like Loot Crate, I found them very hit or miss. There was never really any middle ground, I either loved the meal or despised it. Not once was there one where I was like, "That was fine--3 stars." I would rate all the meals on their website and I cancelled it when I realized that I had way more one star than 5 star meals. I mean, the cost isn't outrageous or anything, but when you're paying $60 dollars per week on three meals, I expect some consistency. And none of them ever reheated well.

See I was a huge Veronica Mars fan before she was even on Breaking Bad so to me she will always be Gia, the daughter of fuckin' Steve Guttenberg.

I've been following her career ever since and I was heartbroken when what happened on Breaking Bad happened (trying to avoid spoilers for anyone who still wants to watch it) and even more so when Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 was cancelled cause she was so charming and hilarious in that! But to finally see her in such a successful franchise makes me feel like a proud mama bear (even though she's 5 years older than me I think...)

I've haven't seen Veronica Mars or Breaking Bad and know her only from Don't Trust the B (which I thought was pretty great) so I guess I'm a bit of a Ritter novice. I thought she was great though. For me, she sold it in the last few minutes of the first episode. I nearly cried during the "It's not your fault" speech and was clapping like an idiot when she walked away from the taxi cab.

I won't post any spoilers since I know not everyone has had a chance to watch it yet so I'll try to keep it vague, but I think it does a great job of subverting your expectations. Kilgrave is maybe the best Marvel villain to date. I loved Daredevil, but I thought Fisk was too pathetic at times to be taken too seriously--he was like a big, stupid kid. Kilgrave, on the other hand, is so sinister, powerful, and unpredictable, that I honestly never knew what was going to happen next. Everyone seemed to be in legitimate danger at all times. Also, I thought, "...put a bullet in your head" was particularly effective.

• Like 3

It's actually making it very hard to see him as anything other than a fucking dickwad of a human, which only proves how amazing he is as this character. Kilgrave makes my skin crawl and I think I'm gonna need to go watch all of David's DW seasons again just to wash my mind clean of the grossness.

See, I thought they did an excellent job making him likable (at least initially). He's a manipulative asshole, but he's super charming. It fits into the whole abuse motif they use throughout the season. Many abusers (whether physical, psychological, or sexual - of which Kilgrave is at least two) are able to get by as abusers because they're generally likable people. The turning point for me was when

he basically told Jessica that she owed him sex because she ate at fancy restaurants and stayed in nice hotels with him. (not a major spoiler, but I'd rather err on the side of caution)

Like most of the things with this show, though, there's an amazing level of complexity to Kilgrave's character. I was honestly worried about whether or not Tennant could pull off this character, and he's definitely been my favorite part, although Ritter, Rachael Taylor (Trish), and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) have all given amazing performances, too.

I didn't get to finish it last night (only made it through one episode before I fell asleep), but

I'm kind of bummed that they are setting up Simpson to be the villain in season two as their version of Nuke. He's such a boring character, especially compared to Kilgrave. The only thing I've liked about the fact he exists is that he takes red pills to go into his rage. I know that's straight from the comic, but it still fits nicely as a possibly unintentional reference to a certain MRA group, particularly in a show that portrays a more complex feminism than we're used to seeing in the genre.

• Like 3

See, I thought they did an excellent job making him likable (at least initially). He's a manipulative asshole, but he's super charming. It fits into the whole abuse motif they use throughout the season. Many abusers (whether physical, psychological, or sexual - of which Kilgrave is at least two) are able to get by as abusers because they're generally likable people. The turning point for me was when

he basically told Jessica that she owed him sex because she ate at fancy restaurants and stayed in nice hotels with him. (not a major spoiler, but I'd rather err on the side of caution)

Like most of the things with this show, though, there's an amazing level of complexity to Kilgrave's character. I was honestly worried about whether or not Tennant could pull off this character, and he's definitely been my favorite part, although Ritter, Rachael Taylor (Trish), and Mike Colter (Luke Cage) have all given amazing performances, too.

I didn't get to finish it last night (only made it through one episode before I fell asleep), but

I'm kind of bummed that they are setting up Simpson to be the villain in season two as their version of Nuke. He's such a boring character, especially compared to Kilgrave. The only thing I've liked about the fact he exists is that he takes red pills to go into his rage. I know that's straight from the comic, but it still fits nicely as a possibly unintentional reference to a certain MRA group, particularly in a show that portrays a more complex feminism than we're used to seeing in the genre.

Ha! I have three episodes left and started falling asleep too so I had to turn it off. I plan on making up for it tonight. In my opinion, in regard to Kilgrave, you're both right. He almost plays that character too well. He's so charming and so disgusting at the same time.

As for your second spoiler, I couldn't agree more.

I was kind of bummed when I realized he wasn't just going to go away. And then he started sleeping with Trish and I thought it was incredibly icky. You cannot follow Kilgrave with Nuke--especially as played by Officer Milquetoast.

• Like 3

I've been with Loot Crate for over a year and the good outweighs the bad I feel, though this last box was kinda eh, especially compared to the awesome time travel box from last month. I too have been a Marvel Corps member since the beginning and have liked all the boxes I've gotten, though I can't wait for the next run of Walgreen Marvel Funkos which include Iron Spider, Green Goblin, and Taskmaster. I just got my box for the Smuggler Bounty and wasn't that impressed since the Funkos inside were just a chrome Cap. Phasma and a Tie Fighter Pilot, both of which have already been released albeit not chrome and in a Force Awakens box. I know the next theme is Rebellion or something like it but I don't know if I'll get it. I basically get those last two boxes for the Funkos since I'm a huge collector of them so for the Star Wars one just to be rehashes of released figures was really a let down.

• Like 1

I've been with Loot Crate for over a year and the good outweighs the bad I feel, though this last box was kinda eh, especially compared to the awesome time travel box from last month. I too have been a Marvel Corps member since the beginning and have liked all the boxes I've gotten, though I can't wait for the next run of Walgreen Marvel Funkos which include Iron Spider, Green Goblin, and Taskmaster. I just got my box for the Smuggler Bounty and wasn't that impressed since the Funkos inside were just a chrome Cap. Phasma and a Tie Fighter Pilot, both of which have already been released albeit not chrome and in a Force Awakens box. I know the next theme is Rebellion or something like it but I don't know if I'll get it. I basically get those last two boxes for the Funkos since I'm a huge collector of them so for the Star Wars one just to be rehashes of released figures was really a let down.

I've been with Loot Crate for about the same amount of time. They have some really excellent boxes (the first one I got was the first Villains one, and it was AMAZING), but then there are others that feel like they're full of the junk you get in swag bags at cons. I actually liked the one this month because I'm a big Fallout and Starcraft fan.

If you're a real collector of the Funko stuff, I could see how Smubbler's Bounty might be disappointing. I really only buy the stuff that I see that catches my eye (like the Big Trouble in Little China figures), and the only TFA one I have so far is a Kylo Ren that my best friend gave me for my birthday. So, as a "non-collector," I thought they were cool. Had you already bought the other versions of those figures? That, to me, would be a bit of salt in the wound.

• Like 1

As far as recent stuff goes, I fell off keeping current around the time of AvX, so I can't really speak to any of the new stuff. But I'd be happy to list some of my favorite runs of the past ten years or so!

(These are in no particular order as they probably change depending on when you ask)

1) Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, and friend of the show, Ed Brubaker.

I would be happy to recommend any of my favorite ongoing series for Image, Marvel, DC, etc. I work in a comic book store so I better fucking know what I am talking about, otherwise I don't know anything about anything except how to post on podcast message boards (and I don't even do that as well as I would like).

ANYWAY, I just wanted to bump this post because I fucking ADORE this run of Iron Fist. Fraction and Brubaker make beautiful kung-fu comic book music together.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, and Mark Waid's Daredevil is one of the best superhero things to happen to my reading eyeballs ever. One of my favorite runs of any superhero comic. All-time great.

• Like 2

I've been with Loot Crate for about the same amount of time. They have some really excellent boxes (the first one I got was the first Villains one, and it was AMAZING), but then there are others that feel like they're full of the junk you get in swag bags at cons. I actually liked the one this month because I'm a big Fallout and Starcraft fan.

If you're a real collector of the Funko stuff, I could see how Smubbler's Bounty might be disappointing. I really only buy the stuff that I see that catches my eye (like the Big Trouble in Little China figures), and the only TFA one I have so far is a Kylo Ren that my best friend gave me for my birthday. So, as a "non-collector," I thought they were cool. Had you already bought the other versions of those figures? That, to me, would be a bit of salt in the wound.

I'm a huge Fallout fan so I did like the bobblehead, and yeah I already had a Phasma Pop so that sucked unlike the Loot Crate that had a totally alternate version of Groot which I really enjoyed. Also just a single lanyard was not really a great item in the box along with the shirt. I did buy the special Creepy box from Loot Crate which was fantastic because it had a Crimson Peak Pop, an Umbrella Corp. umbrella, a glow in the dark Chucky figurine, a zombie gnome, and a couple other things, definitely worth the 50 bucks.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and Mark Waid's Daredevil is one of the best superhero things to happen to my reading eyeballs ever. One of my favorite runs of any superhero comic. All-time great.

I waffled on whether to include that or not, because it is fantastic. In hindsight, I probably should have instead of including two Abnett and Lanning books...

Let's face it, I could have gone forever recommending books.