🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WTF?MichaelDorn

Top Five movies that are bad and you should hate, but you actually love.

What are your top 5, bad/odd movies. That you know are bad/odd movies and the mass public hate, but for whatever reason you love that quirky movie(s)

My Top 5 (no particular order):

Gattaca: love this movie, may possibly be my favorite of all time. Every time I have told someone about the greatness of this movie, they either haven't seen it or hated it with a passion.

Son in Law: Someone in my family had this on VHS, I watched this movie over and over, mostly because I loved Pauly Shore.

House Arrest: This one admittedly is nostalgia and I have not watched it in well over a decade and a half. I know it's Terrible, but as a child locking your parents in a basement was epic. Lol. This movie falls in the category of I will never watch it because I don't want to ruin the good memories.

Delirious : After watching 'Uncle Buck' as a kid I would watch anything John Candy related, I ran into this movie and it became a favorite of my siblings and I.

Encino man: Movie makes zero sense, but all the silliness of it made me laugh historically. Today my friends know me as the guy who does not enjoy comedies, but these fracked me up regularly as a kid.

287rF97.png

Very cool idea, wtfMichaeldorn. I have been told I have 'questionable' taste in movies. I prefer the term 'eclectic', personally. There has even been a few HDTGM films that I thoroughly enjoyed (unironically). I actually limited myself to 5 this time around, but I could keep going.

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead - My sister hated this movie when we were little and I loved it (and still do) it's impossibly fun. I have a lifelong respect for petty cash because of this movie.

The Island - Aha! Michael Bay sci-fi thrill ride. I guess I have a bit of an Ewan McGreggor blindspot, but I love this movie. It's got a lot of good stuff in it and I always want people to give it a chance.

She's The Man - No excuses, I just think it's funny. Amanda Bynes was in her weird silly element in this one. I also love Just One of the Guys too, and White Chicks and now I'm thinking if there are any other movies that play with gender roles...

Speed Racer - Everything about this movie minus Spritle and Chim Chim. The colours, the cartoon-style action and the talking head wipes... I can't think of anything else like it on such a big scale, but I love it.

Center Stage - Give me all the ballet academy melodrama!!

I argue that Center Stage and She's The Man are NOT BAD MOVIES AND WE SHOULD NOT HATE THEM

• Like 3

I argue that Center Stage and She's The Man are NOT BAD MOVIES AND WE SHOULD NOT HATE THEM

I know!! They are great! All the movies I listed are awesome!! I just picked movies that I've been ragged on for liking.

• Like 1

In no particular order:

Judge Dredd/Demolition Man (basically the same movie)

Last Action Hero

Maximum Overdrive

Swordfish

Drive Angry

• Like 1

Deathstalker 2: Duel of the Titans

I Come In Peace

Hard To Kill

Ator 3: The Iron Warrior

The Sword & The Sorcerer

287rF97.png

Very cool idea, wtfMichaeldorn. I have been told I have 'questionable' taste in movies. I prefer the term 'eclectic', personally. There has even been a few HDTGM films that I thoroughly enjoyed (unironically). I actually limited myself to 5 this time around, but I could keep going.

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead - My sister hated this movie when we were little and I loved it (and still do) it's impossibly fun. I have a lifelong respect for petty cash because of this movie.

The Island - Aha! Michael Bay sci-fi thrill ride. I guess I have a bit of an Ewan McGreggor blindspot, but I love this movie. It's got a lot of good stuff in it and I always want people to give it a chance.

She's The Man - No excuses, I just think it's funny. Amanda Bynes was in her weird silly element in this one. I also love Just One of the Guys too, and White Chicks and now I'm thinking if there are any other movies that play with gender roles...

Speed Racer - Everything about this movie minus Spritle and Chim Chim. The colours, the cartoon-style action and the talking head wipes... I can't think of anything else like it on such a big scale, but I love it.

Center Stage - Give me all the ballet academy melodrama!!

With the exception of Center Stage(I haven't seen it) I did enjoy these movies. I feel so bad for Amanda Bynes.

Wow, I'm shocked that people hate "Gattaca." It's one of my very favorites, too.

1. King Solomon's Mines

2. Showgirls

3. Laker Girls (oh how I wish this movie was easier to find. It's PERFECT for HDTGM!!)

4. Mrs. Doubtfire

5. Orphan

Gattaca: love this movie, may possibly be my favorite of all time.

You and a lot of other people; Gattaca rated 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. I like it, too. It's one of the few movies with a central scientific theme that is even remotely plausible and/or internally consistent. Remember that this is an era of filmmaking in which Tom Sizemore couldn't even correctly recite the four nucleotides of DNA in Mission to Mars.

Pretty much every other listed movie in this thread is a bad movie though. Here's my five, excluding those already mentioned and those covered by HDTGM (e.g. Bloodsport):

1) The Golden Child

2) Enemy Mine

3) Gung Ho

4) Twins

5) Fletch Lives

Oh, hi. I'm a child of the 80s.

Love this thread! Great idea!

5) Showgirls

Everything about tis film was, and still is, so bad it's good. Every time I see Berkley's Nomi pull the knife on the dude at the beginning, I spit up my drink. Worst acting ever... and goes down hill from there.

4) Flash Gordon

Where do you begin? Stupid plot? Bad acting? Crazy music? Aliens so insanely colored they looked like a Benetton ad?

3) Caveman

Atouk zug zug Lana. Doofgodolac alunda Cavman.

2) Spring Breakers

Love him or hate him, Franco's Alien was one of the better anti-heroes in recent memory. And then he gave a blowjob to a gun...

1) Ghost Ship

Terribly bad horror movie with an insane premise... and it is amazing. Right from the first scene where all of the passengers are cut in half by a steel wire, I am hooked. And have to love the fact that the little girl was a very pre Sucker Punch Emily Browning.

2) Spring Breakers

Love him or hate him, Franco's Alien was one of the better anti-heroes in recent memory. And then he gave a blowjob to a gun...

Sprang breaaaaaak. Sprang breeeeeaaaakk.

1) Ghost Ship

Terribly bad horror movie with an insane premise... and it is amazing. Right from the first scene where all of the passengers are cut in half by a steel wire, I am hooked. And have to love the fact that the little girl was a very pre Sucker Punch Emily Browning.

Ugh. I both love and hate that movie so much. But for me I had the super hots for Desmond Harrington... Though speaking of him, there was another movie he did called Love Object (2003) That is so absurd and wonderfully awful about a guy who goes crazy after buying a life like "love doll." So very bonker.

• Like 1

One that sticks out for me, Josie and The Pussycats, it was on all the time on the movie channels here at the turn of the century. It was weird, because it's just such a departure from the stuff I like.

I think it's down to my massive crush on Rachael Leigh Cook at the time, because I liked She's All That too. It's weird, I'd watch stuff like Commando, Rambo, Bloodsport... Josie and the Pussycats....

Sign in to follow this