They are coming.

STFU N00b!

• Like 2

The edit has been made.

The ministry has fallen.

They are coming.

They are coming.

It looks weird...

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore, Ms. Photo.

• Like 1

It looks weird...

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore, Ms. Photo.

It does look weird. I already don't like it ahahaha.

• Like 2

You could always Mix it up with some non-English letters and become something like tayloЯannЗphotФ

• Like 2

You could always Mix it up with some non-English letters and become something like tayloЯannЗphotФ

God damn it, Lando! Stop posting my personal password on public forums!

• Like 4

2emn7ms.jpg

Just figured out who that guy reminds me of, see if you can guess too.

I think we all got a good guess on who Supreme Leader Snoke is now.

2j6ww4.jpg

• Like 1

The invitation says that the contestants are "from the four corners of the world." Doesn't that imply a belief that the world is flat, a somewhat outdated notion by 1925? If they're keeping the phrasing out of tradition, why do so when so much else about the tournament is changed from ancient times?

Why doesn't the cop who gets hit by the juggling club move out of its way or at least flinch? He could not be expected to anticipate that it would be thrown at him, but wouldn't a clearly visible object heading straight to his face from exactly where he's looking at produce at least an involuntary reflex? And it's not being hurled at him, it's just falling no more than a couple feet under the normal acceleration of gravity. In fact, the collision shouldn't have enough force (there's some additional impact from the spin of the club, but not that much since it's not rotating that fast) to knock him over.

Hey wrestling nerds. Anyone else think that enzo amore is related to mantzoukas

racist.jpg

Just in case... This is a joke.

racist.jpg

Just in case... This is a joke.

Racist against Wrestling nerds? or Greeks? or Jersey shore A-holes? Cuz im racist against 2 of those 3 groups

The invitation says that the contestants are "from the four corners of the world." Doesn't that imply a belief that the world is flat, a somewhat outdated notion by 1925? If they're keeping the phrasing out of tradition, why do so when so much else about the tournament is changed from ancient times?

That's still a pretty common expression, though. It actually comes from the Bible. In Revelation, John talks about seeing angels descending from the four corners of the earth. He also says that Satan will be enslaved for 1000 years, and afterwards, he will deceive "the nations of the four corners of the earth" and rally them into a final battle with Christ and the saints. (I might have grown up in a fire-and-brimstone Pentecostal church)

Racist against Wrestling nerds? or Greeks? or Jersey shore A-holes? Cuz im racist against 2 of those 3 groups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

Sorry. That's the second and last time Steinman will come up in this thread...

A1-YhS.gif

• Like 1

When Roger Moore says "we have an almost perfect plan", what in his mind is the minor flaw that makes it "almost"?

• Like 1

When the reporter takes the photo, not only is it in color (as pointed out in the podcast), but it's in the film's widescreen aspect ratio! The shot of the team being coaxed into smiling for the camera is supposed to represent the photographer's field of view, but the 2.35:1 rectangle of the screen and the resulting photograph does not match the camera's more squarish viewfinder in the previous shot.

• Like 1

When Roger Moore says "one should never eat on an empty stomach" doesn't that lead to a paradox of infinite regress? One would have to have eaten before, and eaten before that, and so on without end.

This is conservatively among my five favorite HDTGM episodes. Liberally it's one of my top three. Fascistically it's just okay, but anarchically it's just great like all the episodes.

Also, I'd like to applaud the HDTGM team for spending the last week hammering the term "buns" into my mind.

• Like 1

Did you also happen to notice (since there isn't a significant time jump or edit to indicate otherwise), that immediately after JCVD is captured, they seem to be, based on the setting sun, on a northwest bearing? Which seemed odd to me, considering, y'know, Canada being in the way and all... However, assuming it was a time of year that such a course was even amenable (i.e. no ice packs), they could have been attempting to reach the Pacific by braving the treacherous Arctic waters of the Canadian Northwest Passage. This would have shaved a considerable amount of time off of their journey and would have been much faster than either the Panama or Suez Canals.

I didn't even notice that!

My first thought is that they wouldn't have taken the Canadian Northwest Passage as at the time it was a multi-year trip, and had only been done once before by ship. Amundsen did it in a ship in three years (1903 - 1906), and it wasn’t sailed again until Larsen did it in two years (1940 - 1942). If they found a ice-free passage it might have been quicker, but I don’t think they would have considered it.

But, I must also consider the awesome power of JCVD. Could he pull the boat over the ice? In his own movie, I think yes. It took Rasmussen 16 months to dog sled from the Atlantic to the Pacific during the Fifth Thule Expedition, though. So, no disrespect to JCVD, but I don't think he could pull a ship across the Arctic quickly enough for them to make the contest.

Even though I think your calculation of the distances and time is correct, they would never have used the Canal because it was way to expensive. During that time the canal was a financial disaster. Most of the ships still went around the south of Africa because you had to pay a lot of money to get through the canal (and you couldn't get through the floodgates unnoticed), because the company needed every franc they could get.

You're right! I dismissed the idea that they went around the African cape because the boat looks so tiny and the ocean there is so dangerous. And I didn't look at the cost. But having looked at the figures, I don't think they could have afforded it.

In 1925 the average cost to get through the Suez Canal was $1.4 per tonne. I based this on the figures in Panama and Suez Canals: General Comparative Statistics, which has $38,282,901 gross tolls for 1925 from 26,109,882 net tonnes. The Suez tolls were based on the net tonnage of a ship, so not counting engines and crew areas. I spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out how much the ship would hold (I am not a crazy person, I am on sick leave from work and bored out of my mind), and how much it would weight and eventually came to 92,000 tonnes.

92,000 tonnes at $1.4 dollars per tonne is $128,800. Tommy guns, which is what I'm guessing they were smuggling, were about $200 a piece. If they had 1,000 on board (which seems a high number given what we see of how they're packed) that only comes to $200,000 earned - out of which they had to pay all expenses. There's no way they could have afford the canal and must have gone around the Cape of Good Hope.

Adding in the 30 days to my original estimate brings it up to 3 months, and maybe even longer if they encountered bad weather.

This isn't a correction at all! It's a confirmation of what Paul was saying. He was right all along. I should never have doubted!

• Like 5

I didn't even notice that!

My first thought is that they wouldn't have taken the Canadian Northwest Passage as at the time it was a multi-year trip, and had only been done once before by ship. Amundsen did it in a ship in three years (1903 - 1906), and it wasn’t sailed again until Larsen did it in two years (1940 - 1942). If they found a ice-free passage it might have been quicker, but I don’t think they would have considered it.

But, I must also consider the awesome power of JCVD. Could he pull the boat over the ice? In his own movie, I think yes. It took Rasmussen 16 months to dog sled from the Atlantic to the Pacific during the Fifth Thule Expedition, though. So, no disrespect to JCVD, but I don't think he could pull a ship across the Arctic quickly enough for them to make the contest.

You're right! I dismissed the idea that they went around the African cape because the boat looks so tiny and the ocean there is so dangerous. And I didn't look at the cost. But having looked at the figures, I don't think they could have afforded it.

In 1925 the average cost to get through the Suez Canal was $1.4 per tonne. I based this on the figures in Panama and Suez Canals: General Comparative Statistics, which has $38,282,901 gross tolls for 1925 from 26,109,882 net tonnes. The Suez tolls were based on the net tonnage of a ship, so not counting engines and crew areas. I spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out how much the ship would hold (I am not a crazy person, I am on sick leave from work and bored out of my mind), and how much it would weight and eventually came to 92,000 tonnes.

92,000 tonnes at $1.4 dollars per tonne is $128,800. Tommy guns, which is what I'm guessing they were smuggling, were about $200 a piece. If they had 1,000 on board (which seems a high number given what we see of how they're packed) that only comes to $200,000 earned - out of which they had to pay all expenses. There's no way they could have afford the canal and must have gone around the Cape of Good Hope.

Adding in the 30 days to my original estimate brings it up to 3 months, and maybe even longer if they encountered bad weather.

This isn't a correction at all! It's a confirmation of what Paul was saying. He was right all along. I should never have doubted!

url-19.gif

• Like 1

I think you calculated wrong. The weight of a ship of the Olympic-Class (like the titanic) is over 50,000 tonnes, so I don't think this small vessel was that heavy. (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic-Klasse). Maybe about 90 tonnes and I think that still would be to much.

But even though: you had to pay not only the weight of your ship but of your crew to. Not the weight, but the amount. How many where there? Maybe 10? So maybe they would have had to pay $140. Doesn't sound much, but at that time you could get a decent car for that money. Plus: they would have to register their passage which isn't very piraty. ;)

Tommy Guns where about $200 the piece? Fuck me, maybe they DID travel through the canal!

• Like 3

Ok, let's do the math here.

The flick was released in 1996 and that weird bar intro presumably takes place in the present (ergo 1995/6). Then, when we flash back to 1925, JCVD is clearly around 30, right?

Which would make him around 100 years old in the bar scene?

Only JCVD wil be able to kick some ass while being three digits old.

The flick was released in 1996 and that weird bar intro presumably takes place in the present (ergo 1995/6). Then, when we flash back to 1925, JCVD is clearly around 30, right?

I think the beginning was supposed to be in the 1970s from their dress, and in the tournament portion I think JCVD was a "Beverly Hills 90210" early 20s so he was probably only in his 70s when he beat up those punks.

• Like 2

I think the beginning was supposed to be in the 1970s from their dress, and in the tournament portion I think JCVD was a "Beverly Hills 90210" early 20s so he was probably only in his 70s when he beat up those punks.

Agreed. In fact, I think JCVD may have even being played a little bit younger than that. I was thinking only a few years older than the other orphans, like maybe around 18 or 19. Basically, old enough to be a role model for the other boys (as sort of the de facto "grownup") , but naive enough to think a few thousand dollars would last them "forever and ever."

Also, was anyone else concerned when JCVD sent the one little boy off with money to buy food for the entire gang? This is a little, street urchin boy, shabby and dirty, and probably a well known associate of Chris,' who is pocketing a large wad of cash. I think in that day in age, if a child fitting that description walked into a store with that much money and demanded a truck load of food, he would have (rightfully so in this case) been accused of stealing it and promptly arrested. JCVD would have been better off doing it himself or divvying up the cash between them as to not arouse suspicion. JCVD is...not smart.

• Like 2

Also, was anyone else concerned when JCVD sent the one little boy off with money to buy food for the entire gang? This is a little, street urchin boy, shabby and dirty, and probably a well known associate of Chris,' who is pocketing a large wad of cash. I think in that day in age, if a child fitting that description walked into a store with that much money and demanded a truck load of food, he would have (rightfully so in this case) been accused of stealing it and promptly arrested. JCVD would have been better off doing it himself or divvying up the cash between them as to not arouse suspicion. JCVD is...not smart.

Yeah, I thought "Well, if he has to get food for all of them, he has a lot to carry. But he won't be able to buy something anyway."

But now, that I think of it: if you are a shop owner during that time, would you care where the money comes from? Even if you know that the boy might have stolen it, it is still money.

• Like 1

What about Indiana Jones?

And if JCVD is super old, why does he still have a full head of hair? Not only does he have a very non-receded hairline, but his hair isn't much thinned or even that grayed!