🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 141 - The Shadow: LIVE! (w/ Pete Davidson)

I have also just finished watching The Phantom and would someone please explain to me, of all the terrible movies in the world, why we're doing this one? I thought it was pretty fucking rad. Kind of how I would expect a movie in the 90's about a Pulp Comic hero from the 30's should be. Am I missing something?

Oh, and the answer can't be "Because he looks like he's wrapped in a giant purple condom" that's way too easy.

THE_PHANTOM_THE_GHOST_WHO_WALKS_9.jpg

I do have a theory about why this movie sucks and I shall elaborate on it when the episode drops (whenever that might be), but I think the performances are fine but the movie actively works against itself in terms of emotional arcs. I think the special effects are pretty bad too. I mean, this movie came out in 1996. The same year "Independence Day," "Twister" and "Mission: Impossible" came out. Yet the effects look very Cannon Studios to me. It's like they didn't even try with the explosions.

• Like 2

I, personally, did not think this movie was rad. I was really bored most of the time and have a ton of notes ready.

Basically I rewrote the entire movie to be about Kristy and Catharine and wrote out Billy Zane because he's fucking useless.

• Like 2

I, personally, did not think this movie was rad. I was really bored most of the time and have a ton of notes ready.

Basically I rewrote the entire movie to be about Kristy and Catharine and wrote out Billy Zane because he's fucking useless.

So you've written The Phantom femmeslash.

So you've written The Phantom femmeslash.

Well when you put it like that

...maybe

• Like 2

She's 46. As Jason puts it, gross. Won't see.

All joking a salad, I was watching "Criminal Minds" earlier and Cybill Shepherd was in it. She was onscreen for all of 5 minutes, but she dominated it. One small movement of her face evoked so many things. I wish she's in more things.

Cybil Shepherd was on an episode of Law & Order: SVU a couple seasons back. She played a southern (racist) TV chef who killed an unarmed black man in self-defense.

She walks free

Because the Paula Dean and George Zimmerman stories couldn't have just been single episodes in their own rights

• Like 1

Watched Once upon a Crime the other day and Cybill Shephard was one of my favorite performances of an otherwise terrible movie.

• Like 1

And to be fair to the upcoming Zeta Jones/Swanson fanfic, the movie did end with Swanson politely turning down the Zanes request to live on an island paradise with a beach I would kill to be relaxing on right now, so that she could fly off with the character she had the most sexual chemistry with throughout the entire movie.

I think its fairly explicitly shown that Swanson was not into the purple tights and skull motif, and made the sensible decision to be with Zeta Jones, who was pretty fucking fantastic in this movie.

• Like 4

And to be fair to the upcoming Zeta Jones/Swanson fanfic, the movie did end with Swanson politely turning down the Zanes request to live on an island paradise with a beach I would kill to be relaxing on right now, so that she could fly off with the character she had the most sexual chemistry with throughout the entire movie.

I think its fairly explicitly shown that Swanson was not into the purple tights and skull motif, and made the sensible decision to be with Zeta Jones, who was pretty fucking fantastic in this movie.

You don't think I cheered when she flew off into the sunset with her? Or that this fic will not still end that way? I'm just making it to be where not once does Billy Zane show up.

• Like 1

Cybil Shepherd was on an episode of Law & Order: SVU a couple seasons back. She played a southern (racist) TV chef who killed an unarmed black man in self-defense.

She walks free

Because the Paula Dean and George Zimmerman stories couldn't have just been single episodes in their own rights

Oh dear. A racial injustice twofer! Even though the 2 things concern different aspects of racism.

The 15th season of L&O: SUP is on Netflix. Yes! I'm going to check out that Shepherd episode after I've finished my yearly viewing of Criminal Minds (what a sad habit to have). I haven't been watching the show since Meloni left. I see I've missed a few guest stars, including JEREMY IRONS WHAT.

On the IMDB boards "bicentennialmanforever" thinks The Phantom is awesome.

• Like 2

I can't believe no one came up with this:

Sequel name: The shadow 2: The shadow nose <snorting sound>

For a move that starts in an opium den, we should at least consider it all being a hallucination. Instead of being a confounding film, what if it was a masterwork in inconsistent narration? So The Shadow 2 would only be objective 3rd party observation with The Shadow 1 playing picture-in-picture.

• Like 1

Holy shit, when the audience member brought up that the knife was the same prop from Golden Child and this...I lost it.

I saw this movie with my grandparents in the mid 90s when it came on network television. It's the singular thing in popular culture (aside from The Big Spin) that either of them ever expressed interest of knowledge in. Being that I was probably 11 years old, it intrigued me that it took me that long to find something from the fictional world that they seemed interested in. NO OTHER FILM OR TV SHOW SINCE has sparked their interest (again, if it's still on, they probably still watch the big spin, they watch the news, and anything in PBS).

1. I haven't seen this movie and can't say how closely they're illustrated, but this is the second film that features color blindness. The Bruce Willis turd Color of Night had him stricken with psychosomatic color blindness.

2. With regards to the tomb of Genghis Khan, I think the episode made mention of potential luck associated with it. However, the opposite is true. There is legend of a curse surrounding the Great Khan's tomb. Westerners are more interested in finding it, while those in the lands of the old Mongol Empire probably want nothing to do with it so they can avoid any run-ins with the Khan's curse.

• Like 1