🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 141 - The Shadow: LIVE! (w/ Pete Davidson)

Throwing out a South Korean upcoming release that I AM SO HYPED FOR

Are you into South Korean films? Are you planning to see Train to Busan or The Wailing? Both are playing in my city so I'm going to check them out.

Also, everyone should keep an eye out on the various streaming services for "Humans", it's British remake of the Swedish drama "Real Humans", it's an alternate reality where droid technology has become highly advanced, and are used as everyday service workers. It's outstanding

I'm looking forward to season 2.

Are you into South Korean films? Are you planning to see Train to Busan or The Wailing? Both are playing in my city so I'm going to check them out.

I don't have the opportunity to see a ton but when one really peaks my interest I go out of my way to see it. I'm not planning to see either of those though, because funny enough I can not handle zombie movies or outbreak type movies as well as some other stuff.

Actually I just read a longer synopsis of The Wailing and it seems way more interesting and different than the short little drabble made it appear to be. I may have to seek this out! Or hope it starts streaming!

(Gah I just checked online and it isn't showing anywhere close to me. Shame.)

• Like 1

Throwing out a South Korean upcoming release that I AM SO HYPED FOR

Ooh, yes. Me too! I love Park Chan-wook's Stoker. I'm excited to see his adaptation of Sarah Waters' Fingersmith. I really hope The Handmaiden will make it to Austin. However, the last few Asian movies to make it here were all Japanese animated films.

The Chief Asia Film Critic of Variety likes the movie but she has some reservations, "Before long, however, the director of such extreme revenge thrillers as 'Sympathy for Lady Vengeance' and 'Oldboy' slides back into his own febrile cinematic universe of eroticized torture and misogyny, rather submerging Waters’ theme of female rebellion and liberation."

Side note. I'm so glad when a publication lets a person (a woman! from Hong Kong!) knowledgeable about Asian cultures review Asian movies. That way we get useful insights like, "The only defect, one that sometimes risks taking viewers out of the story, is the ensemble’s evident struggle to deliver sophisticated old-world Japanese dialogue, which somewhat hampers their spontaneity of expression," instead of crude, and almost always wrong, observations on the role Zen or Confucianism played in an Asian movie.

• Like 1

As Carl Sagan pointed out, the slogan "I'd Walk a Mile For a Camel" sounds like it's referring to the product's addictiveness rather than its enjoyability. "I'd climb a mountain for a Llama" sounds like it's boasting, "our cigarettes are even more addictive!"

Speaking of which, the billboard design is based almost exactly on an actual Camel billboard, including that weird blow up doll mouth:

shadow-llama.jpg

• Like 2

Why was the "Shodowmobile" a supped-up cab and not simply a supped-up limo or coup? I get the whole "hiding in plain sight" angle, but when compared to the Batmobile (and it's so painfully obvious this film was gunning for Batman territory with it's budget-Anton Furst production design and Danny Elfman-lifted soundtrack) a cab is a lame substitute to a tricked-out hero wagon.

Heck, even the Shadow's fellow radio hero, the Green Hornet, had a cool custom car!

Not to nerd out on you, because I know they called him a superhero in the podcast but TECHNICALLY the Shadow is a PULP hero not a superhero. There were many characters with powers but there aren't superheroes until Superman is created in 39.

In fact, the pulp magazines in which the Shadow and similar heroes like the Spider and Doc Savage appeared were called the "hero pulps" ... and reading them in hindsight of their inspiring superheroes, they do come off like superheroes that do the crime-fighting that superheroes do, but without superpowers -- strong in a "works out a lot" way but not to a supernatural (or super-serum) degree, and having to rely on their wits and gadgets like Batman. But the Shadow's mind-clouding powers come close to qualifying as a superpower in the modern sense.

The Shadow's hat-and-red-scarf disguise is straight from the original pulp magazine covers:

5641950_orig.jpg

Almost every pulp cover had the Shadow in some variant of it. (The question then becomes, why did they get an actor who looks nothing like the pulp cover Shadow?)

I'm also surprised by the implication that the radio shows are obscure. The Shadow is likely the most famous radio-based character (the Lone Ranger or the Green Hornet are the only real competition, and are more known via their TV shows, while the Shadow's radio presence overshadowed its pulps), and is also known for being voiced by Orson Welles. And the show was ubiquitous on collections of old time radio; any cassette or CD box set sampling multiple classic shows was guaranteed to have an episode.

Kudos to the filmmakers for fully acknowledging the main author of the original pulp stories in the end credits:

The Producers gratefully acknowledge the contribution of

WALTER B. GIBSON,

the principal author of "The Shadow" magazine stories.

This was an era in which hero creators were rarely given proper credit: Batman was implied to be solely the creation of Bob Kane (growing up in the '90s I never heard of co-creator Bill Finger once), the contributions of Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko to Marvel's stable of characters were downplayed, and DuckTales never mentioned Carl Barks despite taking most of its characters and elements and many plots point-for-point from his comics. And Gibson's credit was hidden in both the original pulps and paperback reprints by a "house name" pseudonym shared with other authors (like Nancy Drew's "Carolyn Keene") despite writing the vast majority of the pulp novels (at the rate of 2 novels a month, over 1 million words a year!)

First time poster here, I'm just not much of a forum guy but love bad movies and pinball machines.

A peripheral aspect of this movie is that the pinball machine is considered one of the best and most rewarding ever made and has some very cool/unique features. One of the only things that hurts the desirability of the machine is the property, which people see as a bad movie. Unsurprisingly this is exactly the same with the Congo pinball machine.

176844066_640.jpg

There's a NYC pinball place I've been meaning to go to that has not only the Shadow pinball machine, but ones for Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, and The Phantom Menace. (Then again, the video games for The Phantom Menace were actually pretty good as long as they concentrated/expanded on the movie's action scenes and avoided its dull mess of a plot.) I definitely was getting a theme there, but still wanted to play the hell out of the games (though my pick of the ones in this thread is definitely the Maverick one... such an underrated movie!) The have the Xenon machine mentioned in this thread too:

http://www.modernpinballnyc.com/pinball-arcade-games/

Since I couldn't resist trying to find out, the cool row of pinball tables earlier in the thread is from a museum... in Poland!

http://www.inyourpocket.com/krakow/krakow-pinball-museum_145115v

So, who else has a local venue that has cool licensed pinball machines?

There's a NYC pinball place I've been meaning to go to that has not only the Shadow pinball machine, but ones for Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, and The Phantom Menace. (Then again, the video games for The Phantom Menace were actually pretty good as long as they concentrated/expanded on the movie's action scenes and avoided its dull mess of a plot.) I definitely was getting a theme there, but still wanted to play the hell out of the games (though my pick of the ones in this thread is definitely the Maverick one... such an underrated movie!) The have the Xenon machine mentioned in this thread too:

http://www.modernpin...l-arcade-games/

Since I couldn't resist trying to find out, the cool row of pinball tables earlier in the thread is from a museum... in Poland!

http://www.inyourpoc...-museum_145115v

So, who else has a local venue that has cool licensed pinball machines?

You could also go here and get your laundry done at the same time.

Many times when an action movie come out I would see the stars on men's fitness magazines covers. I would also see behind-the-scenes of the male actors working out. I think we don't hear negative opinions about the male actors' bodies is because they changed them. (Affleck in particular is huge when compared to before.) I can't imagine the criticisms if those actors are not swole.

4hr4mp.jpg

w6yv54.jpg

I'm still going to watch Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot might not be my Wonder Woman, but she's still Wonder Woman. To paraphrase Danielle Schneider, I want a big-budget superheroine movie to succeed.

I know, me neither.

I saw this article in the A.V. Club and thought about your co-worker.

you forgot about this edition.

24qmws5.jpg

Mind you it's nothing next to the Stephen Baldwin Editon

9928wh.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not planning to see either of those though, because funny enough I can not handle zombie movies or outbreak type movies as well as some other stuff.

I don't usually go for those movies either because I find them depressing. But for some reason I go through bouts when I want to watch zombie movies all the time. I love World War Z. It has the very optimistic theme of people working together for the greater good.

I'm looking forward to watch the UK zombie movie The Girl with All the Gifts. The movie is adapted from M.R. Carey's novel, which is itself an expansion of his short story Iphigenia in Aulis (the title provides a clue to the plot of the story).

Brooklyn!

• Like 1

I don't usually go for those movies either because I find them depressing. But for some reason I go through bouts when I want to watch zombie movies all the time. I love World War Z. It has the very optimistic theme of people working together for the greater good.

I'm looking forward to watch the UK zombie movie The Girl with All the Gifts. The movie is adapted from M.R. Carey's novel, which is itself an expansion of his short story Iphigenia in Aulis (the title provides a clue to the plot of the story).

Oh I'm just genuinely afraid of zombies lol, especially running ones. I'm pretty sure I even ruined a date once cause he wanted to watch Dawn of the Dead and I refused and said literally any other horror movie would do and he said nah lol. Suffice to say that night did not lead to any other dates lol.

I'm slowly working through this by watching The Walking Dead cause they're slow and the people are way scarier anyway.

• Like 3

They should have us as guests tbh

tumblr_mp25ghcMoi1sswlquo1_500.gif

Of course, to be fair, I think we should be guests on every podcast. :)

• Like 1

Oh I'm just genuinely afraid of zombies lol, especially running ones. I'm pretty sure I even ruined a date once cause he wanted to watch Dawn of the Dead and I refused and said literally any other horror movie would do and he said nah lol. Suffice to say that night did not lead to any other dates lol.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

Haha. I love that you're "working through" your fear of zombies. I like The Walking Dead too, even though I also find it depressing. I do like Zack Snyder's remake of DotD though.

Paul F. Tompkins just saw BvS: DoJ. His hot take on Snyder is, "I like the themes of Zak Snyder movies. Themes like 'I hate buildings!' and 'I wish I could kick a building to death!'"

• Like 3

Paul F. Tompkins just saw BvS: DoJ. His hot take on Snyder is, "I like the themes of Zak Snyder movies. Themes like 'I hate buildings!' and 'I wish I could kick a building to death!'"

Gobbless that man.

• Like 1

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Matt Damon, whose physical transformation for the Bourne movies was almost absurd. Even his face changed quite a bit. It convinced me that steroid use wasn't limited to the provinces of professional sports and weightlifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5cgxzc-4k

• Like 3

I'm slowly working through this by watching The Walking Dead cause they're slow and the people are way scarier anyway.

I've always loved the zombie subgenre of horror as to me it is the most plausible and able to occur, outside of slashers which are usually based on real people to begin with. I'm not talking about the dead rising to kill but rather the 28 Days Later type that are created by bio-engineering and are basically still living people minus all inhibitions that would usually prevent them from tearing a person apart. 28 Weeks Later was actually a lot scarier than its predecessor as you got to see the full extent of a hopeful society crumble before your eyes, in a matter of minutes. Plus Robert Carlyle is one of the most underrated villain/psycho actors of this generation and he is truly unhinged in that film. It also doesn't hurt that it has Jeremy Renner, Imogen Poots, Idris Elba, and Rose Byrne giving fantastic performances.

In the same vein of that series there is a series of comics out called Crossed which follow a similar storyline of a contagious virus that turns the infected into amoral psychopaths, denoted by the rash on their faces in the shape of a cross. The series was started by Garth Ennis of Preacher and The Boys fame, but it has since included other great writers and artists. I will warn you though that if you are squeamish then this might not be for you because this series pulls absolutely zero punches in the content department. Since it's published by an independent company and not Marvel or DC, they let them put whatever they want on the page and there have been times I've gotten a little queasy.

Hey what show is that?

The movie The 40 Year Old Virgin.

The movie The 40 Year Old Virgin.

ohh that's right.

I could not remember that,

plus on my mens fitnesss cover I should of added tips for Parenting..

I do my laundry at home, but will have to check out the games! Never heard of the place (I've heard that the other one is the only one of its kind in Manhattan but that one's fairly accessible too).

Y'all gonna watch Sharknado 4 this weekend JIC?

(I have been super busy working on a project at work)