🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 13 - That Thing You Do!

I dunno, bro. 'I should have dumped you in Pittsburgh' is in the douchebag hall of fame.

Jesus! I'm not saying he's a nice guy!

ETA: Apologies. Personal life frustrations are bleeding onto the board. I'll step away for a bit :)

• Like 4

Jesus! I'm not saying he's a nice guy!

Jesus? He was a nice guy. I'm pretty sure. This guy told us.

006DVC_Tom_Hanks_090.jpg

• Like 5

I totally get what you are saying Cameron. Like i said as much as I'd want to be Guy (or honestly Lenny. I knew i could never be as cool as Guy but i figured i could be Lenny) I know i would be Jimmy. When a play i wrote went up in my town by my community theater i got frustrated that the director wasnt directing and the actors were messing around. It was a play that was important to me and when the actors were messing around i would get frustrated but not show it. Yeah the praise was nice and sip was the money but if I had the chance I would totally do it over and different.

• Like 2

Another person I kind of feel bad for is Chad. Fortunately, he doesn't seem like a very bright fellow, but personally, I would feel like shit thinking that it was my drumming that had been the thing holding the band back. I'm glad he gets hired on at Guy's father's store.

And while I know we all just LOVE Guy, I thought his laughter at hearing Chad broke his arm was a bit inappropriate and kind of psychotic. Lenny never tells him, and Guy never asks, exactly how Chad broke his arm, but Guy thinks it's like the funniest thing he's ever heard. Hey, man, how about at least asking how it happened before busting a gut? For all you know, he could have been rescuing children from a burning orphanage...

• Like 3

I loved this movie and it's soundtrack. Best music from a band that never existed. Long live Captain Geech and The Shrimp Shack Shooters.

• Like 5

Another person I kind of feel bad for is Chad. Fortunately, he doesn't seem like a very bright fellow, but personally, I would feel like shit thinking that it was my drumming that had been the thing holding the band back. I'm glad he gets hired on at Guy's father's store.

In my head, Chad thinks that breaking his arm was the best thing that happened to him because it led to meeting the love of his life.

• Like 5

In my head, Chad thinks that breaking his arm was the best thing that happened to him because it led to meeting the love of his life.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this. I felt like he basically became the son they wanted Guy to be but wasn't. Guy got a great life in the end and Chad married into this family that excepted and loved him.

• Like 5

About the ages thing, I got the distinct impression that Guy (and maybe Lenny as well) were older than fresh out of high school. Isn't there some line about how Guy is "out of the service"? Like he spent a year in the military after high school or something? Maybe I am making shit up.

As for Jimmy, I think it's easy to hate him unfairly because of how gosh darn charming and sweet and innocent Liv Tyler is. This is the kind of role that could be infuriating if played either too sweet or too eager or too naive, but Tyler is more luminescent than fucking Arwen in Lord of the Rings. She's perfect in the role and her chemistry with Tom Everett Scott is adorable. So when Jimmy says, "I should have dumped you in Pittsburgh" or is just pissed at her for having the TEMERITY to think they are engaged, it's kind of unfathomable. I know he's pissed that the "Sorry girls, he's engaged!" chyron appears on TV, but the fact that he takes that out on Liv Tyler is maddening.

HOWEVER, I do agree with Cameron about having sympathy for him regardless, even if he's not the greatest guy. He just wants to record his music and write songs, but now this Shades asshole is hiring and firing managers and booking us gigs at state fairs? Why are we even doing this if Tom Hanks can tell us when and what to record? NONE OF THESE ASSHOLES CAN EVEN PRONOUNCE "THE ONE-DERS!!!"

• Like 5

Speaking of the band name, Steve Zahn demonstrates his straight-up perfect comic delivery in a sort of throwaway line near the beginning. He's just sitting in a bar and someone says something like, "hey, aren't you in the "Oh-NEED-ers?" And his response is just, as dry as can be, "it's pronounced 'Oh-ned-ders.'" It's a line that could be a throwaway or cut for time if in the hands of a lesser actor, but with Zahn, it was probably my biggest laugh of the movie. It's simultaneously so real and honest, yet so absurd a problem to be having. I love it.

• Like 7

We talked about how good TES and Liv Tyler are but Steve Zahn is just pitch note perfect. Between his comic delivery. And Hank's dorection every scene he is in just well sings. Even little things like how he grins when Guy picks up tje tempo at the talent show are just perfect.

In fact i don't think there is one bit of bad or miscasting in this.

• Like 7

Speaking of the band name, Steve Zahn demonstrates his straight-up perfect comic delivery in a sort of throwaway line near the beginning. He's just sitting in a bar and someone says something like, "hey, aren't you in the "Oh-NEED-ers?" And his response is just, as dry as can be, "it's pronounced 'Oh-ned-ders.'" It's a line that could be a throwaway or cut for time if in the hands of a lesser actor, but with Zahn, it was probably my biggest laugh of the movie. It's simultaneously so real and honest, yet so absurd a problem to be having. I love it.

In the same scene, I also loved this line from Lenny:

551e416d2c3286f34a3c93265215741b.jpg

• Like 6

If they were so set on being the Oneders, I always wondered why no one proposed 'The 1-ders' before they gave up on the pun altogether. Then they'd just be called the eye-ders I guess.

• Like 7

Or if Jimmy was actually Juan, they could've been the Juan-ders.

• Like 7

I couldn't help but notice that Tom Hanks and Tom Everett Scott have a similar-ish look. Knowing that Tom Hanks wrote and directed this I couldn't help but wonder if that was intentional or not. Then I start thinking about if they did a story that takes place nowish Hanks could play older Guy. Peter Gallagher looks a lot like Jimmy. Jim Parsons could be an older T.B. but I'm stuck for the life of me who would be a good older Lenny.

• Like 6

I couldn't help but notice that Tom Hanks and Tom Everett Scott have a similar-ish look. Knowing that Tom Hanks wrote and directed this I couldn't help but wonder if that was intentional or not. Then I start thinking about if they did a story that takes place nowish Hanks could play older Guy. Peter Gallagher looks a lot like Jimmy. Jim Parsons could be an older T.B. but I'm stuck for the life of me who would be a good older Lenny.

Tom Hanks has said that initially he wasn't going to cast Tom Scott because of their strong resemblance. However, Rita Wilson convinced Hanks to cast him. Hanks has also said that he was the Shades character. Hanks plays the drums and wrote the "I am Spartacus" drum solo.

Thank you for subscribing to Hank facts.

• Like 7

Tom Hanks has said that initially he wasn't going to cast Tom Scott because of their strong resemblance. However, Rita Wilson convinced Hanks to cast him. Hanks has also said that he was the Shades character. Hanks plays the drums and wrote the "I am Spartacus" drum solo.

Man, subscribing to Hank facts was the best move I ever made.

• Like 7

Cam Bert, apparently the TTYD gang did a "tour" of Japan to promote the film and appeared on some crazy tv shows. Think you could find some funny clips?

• Like 3

Cam Bert, apparently the TTYD gang did a "tour" of Japan to promote the film and appeared on some crazy tv shows. Think you could find some funny clips?

Will look into it! While I do enjoy this random clip from the dubbed version.

• Like 3

According to IMDb Trivia, TES was almost not hired because Hanks felt they looked too much alike.

I'm not sure about who would play an older Lenny though...I think it would have been kind of cool if they did a sequel that takes place in the Eighties with The Wonders getting back together and writing another hit song. You wouldn't even need to recast at this point. A lot of Sixties bands were having renewed (if limited) success at that time.

ETA: I guess you just can't compete w/ Tom's "Hanks Facts"

• Like 5

UNSUBSCRIBE

I kid, I kid. I love this. ;)

• Like 4

I'm not sure about who would play an older Lenny though...I think it would have been kind of cool if they did a sequel that takes place in the Eighties with The Wonders getting back together and writing another hit song. You wouldn't even need to recast at this point. A lot of Sixties bands were having renewed (if limited) success at that time.

If they teamed up with the Fatboys to do a cover of "That Thing You Do" I'd gladly go see that!

• Like 2

Here's a fun fact I saw about Charlize:

Charlize Theron was the first person to be cast in the film. She was encouraged to audition after a casting agent saw her throw a tantrum in a bank. Tom Hanks knew she’d be famous once she tried out for the part, and even wrote in her script: “No matter what, I will always claim to have discovered you.”
  • Like 7

My search continues! Meanwhile enjoy Japanese punk rock band SHAKALABBITS doing a cover of the titular song!

• Like 3

What's everyone's favorite song in the movie that isn't "That Thing You Do?" I think mine is...

I really wish there had been more time devoted to Lenny solo songs.

• Like 4

I actually might like Dance With Me Tonight even MORE. My one complaint about the movie is that if Jimmy wrote that song, then he's right, they should have recorded it and put it out right away.

• Like 3