🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 13 - That Thing You Do!

You really should stop doing that thing you do, y'know. It's illegal, and frankly, wildly offensive...

We watched:

luSHsQYyX0aukrHPL5joYOxcsO9.jpg

• Like 5

I'll just get the ball rolling by saying that I watched this the other day for the first time and I was utterly charmed by the whole thing. I thought the time flew by and it captured a specific period and all that came with it in a loving way. Not to say the movie is perfect but much like the titular song, it just grows on you the more and more that it went on.

Is it wrong though that I was angry at the end when I found out that James went on to be successful? I hated him. There is no real villain to the movie so that kinda makes him the defacto one. He may have been about the music and a talented musician but Shades is the one that speed up the song making it a hit. He did come up with the words and music but clearly he needs to collaborate more. All the more evident by his B side that no one cared about. He breaks up the band and Faye's heart, and yet goes on to be famous and successful. While probably accurate to what would happen, I just hoped his fate would have been the worst of the four.

• Like 5

Is it wrong though that I was angry at the end when I found out that James went on to be successful? I hated him. There is no real villain to the movie so that kinda makes him the defacto one. He may have been about the music and a talented musician but Shades is the one that speed up the song making it a hit. He did come up with the words and music but clearly he needs to collaborate more. All the more evident by his B side that no one cared about. He breaks up the band and Faye's heart, and yet goes on to be famous and successful. While probably accurate to what would happen, I just hoped his fate would have been the worst of the four.

Not wrong at all. Fuck James.

• Like 6

It does make me happy to think of how he likely had to grovel to get back in Playtone's good graces. He really tried to burn all of his bridges there, he must have really had to suck up to get back to record with them. I'm pretty sure Mr. White only liked Guy and Faye out of the whole group, so when Jimmy screwed both of them over, he was dead to him.

How do we all feel about Jimmy and Diane Dane - they totally slept together, right?

• Like 6

I thought it was funny Ethan Embry's character didn't have a name. He was just "the bass player /T.B Player"

• Like 6

Personally, I'm pretty sympathetic to Jimmy and I'm glad things worked out for him in the end. It's obvious that this is his dream, but as soon as Guy enters the picture, everything is immediately taken out of his control. I mean, it's definitely Jimmy's band and they are playing the songs he wrote, but when it's time to sign, everyone keeps going to this drummer who has only been with the band for a couple of weeks. WTF?

It's also clear, at least after Guy changes the tempo of it, that "That Thing You Do" isn't even a song Jimmy particularly likes. Everyone keeps shitting on everything else he's written, and when he complains or feels like no one else is taking this seriously, he's told to shut up and just enjoy the ride. Well that's fine for Lenny (because he's just a dork), TB Player (who's joining the Marines), and Guy (who's just going along for the ride), but Jimmy is laser focused on being something more.

And while Guy certainly contributed to their success, all he really did (without consulting the songwriters beforehand) is speed up the tempo of the song. Jimmy is the one who wrote the words and the melody. I just didn't like how he was painted as this jerk for having drive and showing initiative.

• Like 8

I thought it was funny Ethan Embry's character didn't have a name. He was just "the bass player /T.B Player"

I loved him. His reaction the original drummer falling over, his screaming when Faye pushing him against the wall, when he dropped his bass while jumping up and down, his small smile when Mr White told him 'semper fi'. He was adorable. Both Ethan Embry and Steve Zahn both did a lot with their smaller parts.

Other small moment I loved (which this movie is full of!) - When Lenny asked Jimmy for money and he told him to ask Guy - and Guy immediately gave it to him, no questions asked. The whole 'go ask if you can see the cockpit' exchange. Tina's glee at getting a crown replaced. Faye counting money and really really focused on that money. The mom yelling she couldn't hear the music while watching the live taping - even though no one else was talking.

Only real complaint - I do not understand the "I am Spartacus" that Guy keeps saying, though I really appreciated Lenny's confused reaction when Guy said it to him at the live taping.

Edited to add on -

And while Guy certainly contributed to their success, all he really did (without consulting the songwriters beforehand) is speed up the tempo of the song. Jimmy is the one who wrote the words and the melody. I just didn't like how he was painted as this jerk for having drive and showing initiative.

When he speeds up the tempo, I liked that the other band members just keep playing it at the original tempo until like halfway through the song. I do find Jimmy unlikable, but I agree that its crazy that all the record people kept approaching and negotiating with Guy. Maybe he was just easier to find originally (since he worked in the store where he was selling the albums?) and just realized he's the most reasonable of the group? It'd be pretty hard to negotiate with Jimmy I'd imagine.

• Like 5

My favorite small moment was when Mr. White gives them all their first (official) record, and while everyone else is freaking out, there's a POV shot from Jimmy's perspective looking at the B-Side ("All My Only Dreams"). So sad. :(

• Like 6

Only real complaint - I do not understand the "I am Spartacus" that Guy keeps saying, though I really appreciated Lenny's confused reaction when Guy said it to him at the live taping.

I'm pretty sure this was cut from the theatrical version. In the beginning, Guy and Tina bump into each other on the road and they go back to Guy's apartment to make out. Spartacus is playing on tv in the background and Guy does the "I am Spartacus" line and Tina goes crazy for it.

• Like 7

It does make me happy to think of how he likely had to grovel to get back in Playtone's good graces. He really tried to burn all of his bridges there, he must have really had to suck up to get back to record with them. I'm pretty sure Mr. White only liked Guy and Faye out of the whole group, so when Jimmy screwed both of them over, he was dead to him.

How do we all feel about Jimmy and Diane Dane - they totally slept together, right?

According to this article, the liner notes from the soundtrack says:

Jimmy Mattingly ended up recording a hit song called “She Knows It” (heard over the closing credits) for The Heardsman, and became a producer for Play-Tone artists. Mr. White was promoted to president of the Play-Tone label.

• Like 5

Edited to add on -

When he speeds up the tempo, I liked that the other band members just keep playing it at the original tempo until like halfway through the song. I do find Jimmy unlikable, but I agree that its crazy that all the record people kept approaching and negotiating with Guy. Maybe he was just easier to find originally (since he worked in the store where he was selling the albums?) and just realized he's the most reasonable of the group? It'd be pretty hard to negotiate with Jimmy I'd imagine.

It's not that I find him likable, but I do sympathize. When Faye lays into him at the end, there's even some indication that he used to be a lot more easy going. She says that it was never the "real" him, but I don't know that I believe that entirely. He's a smart and talented guy surrounded by morons. These same morons force him to sign away his music so they can go be goofballs at state fairs. And while he's working hard to make sure they aren't a flash in the pan or taken advantage of, that's when his girlfriend of two years and his brand new drummer start cozying up to each other. So I don't blame him for being a bit...acerbic.

As far as negotiations are concerned, considering he's "alone in his principles" he probably would be hard to negotiate with :)

• Like 4

Personally, I'm pretty sympathetic to Jimmy and I'm glad things worked out for him in the end. It's obvious that this is his dream, but as soon as Guy enters the picture, everything is immediately taken out of his control. I mean, it's definitely Jimmy's band and they are playing the songs he wrote, but when it's time to sign, everyone keeps going to this drummer who has only been with the band for a couple of weeks. WTF?

I agree, I kind of felt bad for him. Even though I know he was a dick.

He was the one who was pushing to make new music. And everyone else was blowing him off. So I did feel bad because he was the only one who seemed dedicated to the music. The rest of them seemed ok just being popular / doing whatever to make a quick buck.

And Jimmy was right, if they wanted to continue to be successful they'd have to focus on making more music / other hit songs besides "That Thing You Do".

Even if they didn't break up in the end, I felt like they probably would've still ended up as a "one-hit wonder". They probably would've kept doing what they were doing until they lost all their momentum and weren't relevant anymore.

I loved him. His reaction the original drummer falling over, his screaming when Faye pushing him against the wall, when he dropped his bass while jumping up and down, his small smile when Mr White told him 'semper fi'. He was adorable.

I did too. I really enjoy anytime I see him in a movie / tv show.

And really like him now on Grace & Frankie (with June) :)

• Like 4

I didn't get to watch the movie again so I don't think I'll be chipping in much this week, but I do like this movie and have had the bloody song in my head all week since the thread was announced.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I was very pleased to see Guy show up in 'La La Land' as successful Emma Stone's husband.

xtomeverettscott.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TxPM3EfVGV.jpg

I thought it was nice that a movie directed by a guy who found success with a drummer movie ('Whiplash') cast a guy well known for playing a drummer in his next flick. Everything's connected, guys.

ETA - I wrote the word 'guy' there so many times without meaning to. Spooky.

ETA2 - this is post 1234! My Sesame Street post!

• Like 5

I just didn't like how he was painted as this jerk for having drive and showing initiative.

I didn't get that that was why he was painted as a jerk. He just acted like a jerk. He was a horrible boyfriend to Faye and blamed her for a lot of their problems, and didn't communicate very well until he just blows up at everyone. I'll agree that it's weird that they always go to Guy for all of the negotiations, but maybe that's just because Tom Hanks could see inside that Jimmy wasn't worth it cause he didn't give a shit about anyone but himself.

Honestly I thought Tom Hanks was trying to break the band up from the start anyway. So he created all this tension between Jimmy and Guy and wanted them to split off. But he did actually notice that Faye wasn't being treated right and pushed her towards someone who would.

I think he was right that they would have to focus on new music, but I have to say I didn't particularly like anything he had written. I view him like the Domnhall Gleeson character in Frank, who had all of the drive to make the band successful but not really the same amount of talent. (Although even Jimmy was a better writer than Domnhall's character was lol).

• Like 3

Regarding TB Player - Ethan Embry was only 17! Before filming began, the actors trained on their various instruments separately and then got together to practice as a band. The first band practice session was on Halloween and Ethan Embry showed up in a dress, lol. He seems like a lovable goof.

• Like 6

I am at work so i dont have a lot of time so I will get into my deeper thoughts later. But I really love this movie. On tje We Hate Movies podcast they sometimes refer to films as "hang over films" and that is where this falls for me. It is a movie that I can watch anytime it is on.

Jimmy is an ass but i relate to him. I see the Wonders as sort of the same as community theater, you have a few that are super talented, those who take it super serious and those that just want to have fun. I am one that takes it very seriously and would probably be Jimmy even if i want to be Guy.

I always assumed that the assaults doing the negotiations went to Guy because he was older then the others so they would default to him.

I genuinely love this movie.

• Like 5

I didn't get that that was why he was painted as a jerk. He just acted like a jerk. He was a horrible boyfriend to Faye and blamed her for a lot of their problems, and didn't communicate very well until he just blows up at everyone. I'll agree that it's weird that they always go to Guy for all of the negotiations, but maybe that's just because Tom Hanks could see inside that Jimmy wasn't worth it cause he didn't give a shit about anyone but himself.

Honestly I thought Tom Hanks was trying to break the band up from the start anyway. So he created all this tension between Jimmy and Guy and wanted them to split off. But he did actually notice that Faye wasn't being treated right and pushed her towards someone who would.

I think he was right that they would have to focus on new music, but I have to say I didn't particularly like anything he had written. I view him like the Domnhall Gleeson character in Frank, who had all of the drive to make the band successful but not really the same amount of talent. (Although even Jimmy was a better writer than Domnhall's character was lol).

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think Jimmy communicates very well what he wants throughout the movie. And every time he does, either Mr White or the other band members brush away what he's saying.

As far as his relationship with Faye, I can only think of two times he really blames her for anything. The first time is when he gets sick (which is probably true and would really suck) and the second time is with the "engaged" thing - which I think was really the culmination of a lot of things being out of his control. Now I don't think they're a good couple - their priorities aren't aligned- but I don't think he was a "bad" boyfriend so much as inattentive.

• Like 3

I always assumed that the assaults doing the negotiations went to Guy because he was older then the others so they would default to him.

I am terrible at ages, and could not figure out how old people were in this movie. I thought they were college aged - I thought either Jimmy or Lenny went to whatever college they perform at, but Guy works instead of college and TB Player is entering the service - until later when Guy tells Del that he was stationed in Germany and I think references attending college at some point. And someone mentioned that Ethan Embry was 17 so maybe he just graduated high school?! I don't know.

I have no idea how old anyone is suppose to be. (This is generally true in real life too)

• Like 4

Later I'll post my thoughts about T.T.Y.D.!

I found this via google oimage search... click the spolier if you seen the film then the picture that links to the buzzfeed article

enhanced-buzz-orig-23054-1378234311-12.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think Jimmy communicates very well what he wants throughout the movie. And every time he does, either Mr White or the other band members brush away what he's saying.

As far as his relationship with Faye, I can only think of two times he really blames her for anything. The first time is when he gets sick (which is probably true and would really suck) and the second time is with the "engaged" thing - which I think was really the culmination of a lot of things being out of his control. Now I don't think they're a good couple - their priorities aren't aligned- but I don't think he was a "bad" boyfriend so much as inattentive.

Eh you're probably right about the communication thing, but I guess they just frame it in such a way that doesn't feel like he really tries.

But I still stand by him not being a good boyfriend. Being inattentive isn't really a good thing and even blaming her for two things that she really didn't have control over in the way that he did seemed over the top and not cool.

• Like 2

I am terrible at ages, and could not figure out how old people were in this movie. I thought they were college aged - I thought either Jimmy or Lenny went to whatever college they perform at, but Guy works instead of college and TB Player is entering the service - until later when Guy tells Del that he was stationed in Germany and I think references attending college at some point. And someone mentioned that Ethan Embry was 17 so maybe he just graduated high school?! I don't know.

I have no idea how old anyone is suppose to be. (This is generally true in real life too)

First i just noticed my typo "assualts" instead of "adults" and yet it fits lol

My impression is since most guys enter the service out of HS in order to pay for college, TB would have just graduated. I assumed Lenny and Jimmy were in college (possibly first year finished) and Guy was older due to his military service (think you sign up for a minimum of 4 years) and the fact he was doing the books for his dad's store suggested some college. I think that also due to Guy's love of jazz makes him seem older.

On the other hand Lenny seems to know him better then Jimmy and TB (knows uncle Bob (my best friends kids call me uncle Bob) and I wish i was as cool as Issak in this film) and knows Guy plays drums whereas Jimmy seems skeptical. So who knows

• Like 3

But I still stand by him not being a good boyfriend. Being inattentive isn't really a good thing and even blaming her for two things that she really didn't have control over in the way that he did seemed over the top and not cool.

He also says that Faye is 'kind of' his girlfriend when Mr. White asks who she is. They've been together 2 years!

• Like 5

Eh you're probably right about the communication thing, but I guess they just frame it in such a way that doesn't feel like he really tries.

To be fair, I'm not saying he's a "good" boyfriend either. They're definitely not good for each other.

As far as the blame thing, imagine if you were given the opportunity to have a high profile exhibit of your Art. You're protective of your Art, and you're suspicious of your "benefactor," but all your dumbass friends (who have no emotional connection to your work) convince you it's a good idea. Under the impression that the exhibit will showcase ALL of your work, you relent. But later, you come to find out, they are only interested in one photograph that has been so heavily edited that it no longer represents your vision. You try to explain how you're feeling, but no one is listening, least of all your SO who's busy canoodling with the same guy responsible for re-editing your work into something unrecognizable - and also happens to be the same guy everyone talks to regarding YOUR Art! So anyway, here you are opening night - a moment you've waited your whole life for - and you get deathly ill with a sickness your SO gave you. Now, it's not like they gave it to you on purpose, but you did get it from them. I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed about that, too.

Anyway, courageously, you fight through your nerves and sickness (while your friends all make fun of you), the gallery opens and soon people start congratulating you. Not for your work, but for your upcoming nuptials! First of all, what the Hell are you talking about?!? And secondly, just as you've finally reached your goal and everyone is going to finally recognize your genius, the focus is taken off you and your work! I'd be pissed.

So while I don't think he's right to blame her, I totally get why he's angry. I think deep down he knows it wasn't her, but in that moment when everything has gone to shit, I think she just happened to be the one he lashed out at. Which, again, isn't great, but a totally human reaction.

And, really, Mr. White really should have told him they were planning on doing that. it was super fucked up not to say something first.

• Like 2

He also says that Faye is 'kind of' his girlfriend when Mr. White asks who she is. They've been together 2 years!

The thing is, back in those days, it was important that the band members appeared "available." I think Jimmy was worried that Mr. White would dump them if he knew he was in a serious relationship. Jimmy is also based a lot on John Lennon and this happened to Lennon during The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show:

SorryGirls.gif

Lennon also didn't know this was going to happen and was reportedly pretty pissed off about it.

Bottom line: Jimmy isn't going to be winning any Boyfriend of the Year awards, but I still feel bad for him.

• Like 3

I dunno, bro. 'I should have dumped you in Pittsburgh' is in the douchebag hall of fame.

• Like 4