๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 13 - That Thing You Do!

Thanks again, Sara, for the pick!

ย 

It was really nice to get a chance to revisit this :)

ย 

100% Agreed Thank you Very Much Sara!!!

ย 

ย 

Max, we've come to a consensus. You have to quit your job.

ย 

After 8 days of not been able to give my full opinion on the Extended Directors Cut I say you guys are right... Hopefully these are my last 3-4 months working on that particular job ( Don't feel bad... It was decided long before your consensus ;) And all parties are fine with it )

• Like 4

After 8 days of not been able to give my full opinion on the Extended Directors Cut I say you guys are right... Hopefully these are my last 3-4 months working on that particular job ( Don't feel bad... It was decided long before your consensus ;) And all parties are fine with it )

ย 

Congratulations and Good Luck! I hope your next job is awesome!

• Like 2

Thanks again, Sara, for the pick!

ย 

It was really nice to get a chance to revisit this :)/>

ย 

You're welcome! I'm thrilled that there were so many other people that love this one too. Can't wait to see what's next!

• Like 3

Again I want to thank SaraK for her pick. I'm really glad I got around to watching it and angry that I'm still singing the song to this day.

ย 

Two things, I will be skyping with my mother tomorrow so expect a Ted Neeley Handsomeness update coming your way soon. Second tomspanks asked me to look up the promotional stuff they did for this movie in Japan. Well there was a bit of a snag. This film got titled ใ™ในใฆใฎใ‚ใชใŸใซใ€€Subete no Anata ni lit. All for You here. The problem with that is the Whitney Houston song "Saving All My Love for You" is translated with the same name. Thus searching for things about the movie just kept turning up more and more Whitney Houston stuff. I did learn that while promoting the movie Tom Hanks went on a music show called THEๅคœใ‚‚ใƒ’ใƒƒใƒ‘ใƒฌ THE Yoru mo Hippare and he himself sang "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." While I couldn't find clips of this I did find him being delightful on Japanese TV if you want to watch and it's not region blocked.

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfZX3zPC9vw&t=1258s

• Like 5

This video is from the Larry Crowne press tour and it shows Tom Hanks doing the weather with Venezuelan T.V. Host/Beauty Queen/Model/T.V. Actress (Some Telenovelas) Chiquinquira Delgado

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOG5tN-Hu8

• Like 4

Hey, I have a question. How likely is it that on their major television debut that not only would they replace a band member with a session musician but basically advertise him to the viewing audience like he's a permanent member?

ย 

That-Thing-You-Do-images-6a3d6f22-4a94-47d5-90cd-e6a4e0d9e08.jpg

ย 

And if Mr. White is all about image, why does he let the session guy play under his ridiculous name Wolfman? Even the TV producer's like, 'Whoa, too scary' but even then the name 'WOLFMAN' is forever enshrined as a member of the band.

ย 

Make him Chet. Or George. Yeah, George.

ย 

And why don't anyone back home in Pennsylvania say to their television "shit, where's Tee Bee Player gone"?

ย 

Why isn't it just like when No Doubt plays and everyone just pretends the rasta horn players aren't really part of the band? They could have done that. Or GONE ON AS A THREE PIECE, unless they're not lip syncing.

ย 

I did like that this helped us avoid having to put the bass player's name up on screen. Nice work, Hanx.

ย 

Still. Thoughts on Wolfman?

ย 

I'm late with this, but i'm not so sure it would have been so strange to have a different member for the TV appearance. This old Buffalo Springfield clip has a figure with his back to the camera playing bass, because the bassist had been deported to Canada. Not exactly the same situation, but they felt they had to have someone playing bass, and since they are lip synching to a recorded track, they just go with it.

ย 

https://youtu.be/BWTqj5lvkFs

• Like 6

For all you fellow forumers that loved "That Thing You Do!" and are Fans of C.B.B. and Gino yesterdays episode had some hilarious references to this movie around the 20min14sec mark and 37min04sec (Although they talked about Ryan Goslin In "La La Land" they forgot to mention that Guy/Shades was also in that movie lol)

ย 

http://www.earwolf.c...he-dream-lords/

• Like 4

(Didn't mean to double post)

ย 

The Guy-Faye romance is one of the reasons TTYD isn't a perfect movie for me. Another reason is the ending itself. After Guy and Faye kiss (for what feels like an eternity), they walk back into the hotel. That's weird. Faye is actually all packed and checked out of the room. All of her stuff is outside, waiting for a ride to the bus station. And then, the final shot is Lamarr's stare. Why? Like, throw us a wink or a finger gun or something! The whole thing felt awkward.

ย 

EZXhcvv.png?1

ย 

I was rewatching that scene and I think that I discovered its meaning and the meaning of the movie's title and song... TTYD is actually a love song written for bellhops who make the guest fall in love with the tasks they do. Now please, hear me out...

ย 

The last line of the movie before the awkward wall break/wink to the camera is "That's what I do" (It should have been "That's the thing I do") And thats the proof... Hidden/disguised as a tailend callback joke to the song we know that TTYD its not "butt stuff" as was suggested in this thread but is actually doing "bellhop stuff" (Carrying your bags, calling taxi cabs, opening doors for people, that sort of thing) ;)

ย 

CASE CLOSED.

ย 

ย 

P.S.: This music video full of Tom Hanks-ism and typewriters

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5lzRHrGeg

• Like 5

ย 

I was rewatching that scene and I think that I discovered its meaning and the meaning of the movie's title and song... TTYD is actually a love song written for bellhops who make the guest fall in love with the tasks they do. Now please, hear me out...

ย 

The last line of the movie before the awkward wall break/wink to the camera is "That's what I do" (It should have been "That's the thing I do") And thats the proof... Hidden/disguised as a tailend callback joke to the song we know that TTYD its not "butt stuff" as was suggested in this thread but is actually doing "bellhop stuff" (Carrying your bags, calling taxi cabs, opening doors for people, that sort of thing) ;)

ย 

CASE CLOSED.

ย 

So you're saying butt stuff and bellhop stuff are mutually exclusive?

• Like 5

ย 

ย 

serie_touche-8.jpg

• Like 5

ย 

ย 

2 Things...

ย 

*In Jason's voice* "What kind of hotels do you go to tomspanks?" ;)

ย 

The Venn Diagram of those 2 "stuff's" are two buttcheeks

ย 

ย 

(I do/did not mean to gross/creep anybody out... This was just like a George Costanza late "jerk store" comeback I had to post it)

• Like 4

This video made my day

ย 

The lyric video was the one with the typewriter... My bad :)

ย 

http://youtu.be/XhgJCO70yog

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Also I JUST realized the thumbnail of the video supports my bellhop theory with 2 Bellhops 1 Tom in the image, So...

ย 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

ย 

serie_touche-8.jpg

ย 

Don't you mean "tushy?"

ย 

(Sorry, it took me a full day to get to that one.)

• Like 3

ย 

Don't you mean "tushy?"

ย 

(Sorry, it took me a full day to get to that one.)

It's pronounced "too-chee"

ย 

ย 

ย 

MV5BMTU1MzE4MjAzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA2MTMyMw@@._V1_UY317_CR9,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

ย 

ย 

• Like 5

It's pronounced "too-chee"

ย 

"The Too-chee is loose-e"

• Like 2

ย 

The lyric video was the one with the typewriter... My bad :)

Honestly, I just really loved the whole Emotion album and loving Tom Hanks is universal. So, combining the two was unexpected and amazing.

• Like 3

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

CASE CLOSED.

ย 

ย 

P.S.: This music video full of Tom Hanks-ism and typewriters

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5lzRHrGeg

ย 

Thank you for reminding me that this exists. It brightened my evening exceedingly well.

ย 

Oh, Hanks... :wub:

• Like 2