🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 13 - That Thing You Do!

Will look into it! While I do enjoy this random clip from the dubbed version.

Video does not work in my country.

What's everyone's favorite song in the movie that isn't "That Thing You Do?" I think mine is..

Mine is Little Wild One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJZQzUuN7Eo

• Like 2

UNSUBSCRIBE

I kid, I kid. I love this. ;)

The original title of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" (1989) was "Teenie Weenies."

Thank you for subscribing to kid facts. Send $50 to unsubscribe.

• Like 7

The original title of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" (1989) was "Teenie Weenies."

Thank you for subscribing to kid facts. Send $50 to unsubscribe.

Are you kidding? I'd pay $50 for many, many more of these.

• Like 7

Hey, I have a question. How likely is it that on their major television debut that not only would they replace a band member with a session musician but basically advertise him to the viewing audience like he's a permanent member?

That-Thing-You-Do-images-6a3d6f22-4a94-47d5-90cd-e6a4e0d9e08.jpg

And if Mr. White is all about image, why does he let the session guy play under his ridiculous name Wolfman? Even the TV producer's like, 'Whoa, too scary' but even then the name 'WOLFMAN' is forever enshrined as a member of the band.

Make him Chet. Or George. Yeah, George.

And why don't anyone back home in Pennsylvania say to their television "shit, where's Tee Bee Player gone"?

Why isn't it just like when No Doubt plays and everyone just pretends the rasta horn players aren't really part of the band? They could have done that. Or GONE ON AS A THREE PIECE, unless they're not lip syncing.

I did like that this helped us avoid having to put the bass player's name up on screen. Nice work, Hanx.

Still. Thoughts on Wolfman?

• Like 5

Hey, I have a question. How likely is it that on their major television debut that not only would they replace a band member with a session musician but basically advertise him to the viewing audience like he's a permanent member?

That-Thing-You-Do-images-6a3d6f22-4a94-47d5-90cd-e6a4e0d9e08.jpg

And if Mr. White is all about image, why does he let the session guy play under his ridiculous name Wolfman? Even the TV producer's like, 'Whoa, too scary' but even then the name 'WOLFMAN' is forever enshrined as a member of the band.

Make him Chet. Or George. Yeah, George.

And why don't anyone back home in Pennsylvania say to their television "shit, where's Tee Bee Player gone"?

Why isn't it just like when No Doubt plays and everyone just pretends the rasta horn players aren't really part of the band? They could have done that. Or GONE ON AS A THREE PIECE, unless they're not lip syncing.

I did like that this helped us avoid having to put the bass player's name up on screen. Nice work, Hanx.

Still. Thoughts on Wolfman?

I thought they should have replaced TB Player with Carol Kaye.

image_carolkaye_01.jpg

• Like 4

Re: Wolfman, it was understood that TB would be leaving anyway to join the marines, so they played it off like the member change was intentional. Maybe everyone back home just assumed he left the band because it was time for him to ship out.

• Like 4

Wasn't Wolfman just a bass player who worked for Playtone? And goes by Wolfman at the studio in general? I just assumed it was his stage name for everything and he was planning on joining the band full time after this since he was at the studio to record when Jimmy quit.

Also, I watched this with CC and when he's introduced by playing his bass, it just said "Plays Cool Bass Riff" (or something like that, I'm at work so I might be paraphrasing(also I clearly don't work very hard)). Made me laugh.

Speaking of the tv show, why is Lenny called Leo? I know is real name is Leonard or something, but he's never once gone by Leo. Seems like a weird jump. Do they just have something against names ending in y?

• Like 5

What did you guys think about the Guy-Faye story? I felt like their relationship wasn't really fully developed. And in the end, the pairing seemed forced. But then again, they couldn't be overt about them flirting/falling for each other throughout the movie, since they were dating other people, lest they be painted as "cheaters."

• Like 5

What did you guys think about the Guy-Faye story? I felt like their relationship wasn't really fully developed. And in the end, the pairing seemed forced. But then again, they couldn't be overt about them flirting/falling for each other throughout the movie, since they were dating other people, lest they be painted as "cheaters."

I loved their chemistry, but I don't really think they were "there" yet. She was just crying about how badly Jimmy had hurt her and how much his kisses meant, and literally the NEXT DAY she's like, "I haven't been kissed well since before I was with Jimmy and I'm ready to move to LA to be with you." Shit, girl, let's not jump into anything too quickly. It's not healthy.

• Like 5

Wasn't Wolfman just a bass player who worked for Playtone? And goes by Wolfman at the studio in general? I just assumed it was his stage name for everything and he was planning on joining the band full time after this since he was at the studio to record when Jimmy quit.

Also, I watched this with CC and when he's introduced by playing his bass, it just said "Plays Cool Bass Riff" (or something like that, I'm at work so I might be paraphrasing(also I clearly don't work very hard)). Made me laugh.

Speaking of the tv show, why is Lenny called Leo? I know is real name is Leonard or something, but he's never once gone by Leo. Seems like a weird jump. Do they just have something against names ending in y?

Maybe "Lenny" and "Jimmy" could be too easily confused?

ETA: I also watch just about everything with CC on and I love shit like that :) "Eerie Music Playing"

• Like 5

ETA: I also watch just about everything with CC on and I love shit like that :) "Eerie Music Playing"

Or when the subtitler gives up.

Forgot to post this in the Repo thread:

ljyxG5q.png

• Like 6

Well again maybe it's because I saw the extended cut of the film, but there are subtle hints throughout about how much Faye means to him. Maybe as a friend much more so than a love interest. There is the bit where she brings them food and he's like "You gave a name and you're the genius behind us" and then Jimmy jealously jumps between them. He's also the one to go back and get Faye when they are going to the airport and take care of her when she was sick. Plus his little shout out to her. It's clear that they were very close friends and he cared more about her than Jimmy did. What the film I think needed was him realizing that Charlize Theron had moved on. At a certain point we see it and get it, but it we never see Guy realize that she's moved on. Just a small bit where Faye could have been like "I'm sorry to hear about Charlize. Don't worry you're a great guy you won't be single long" or something like that.

• Like 3

Well again maybe it's because I saw the extended cut of the film, but there are subtle hints throughout about how much Faye means to him. Maybe as a friend much more so than a love interest. There is the bit where she brings them food and he's like "You gave a name and you're the genius behind us" and then Jimmy jealously jumps between them. He's also the one to go back and get Faye when they are going to the airport and take care of her when she was sick. Plus his little shout out to her. It's clear that they were very close friends and he cared more about her than Jimmy did. What the film I think needed was him realizing that Charlize Theron had moved on. At a certain point we see it and get it, but it we never see Guy realize that she's moved on. Just a small bit where Faye could have been like "I'm sorry to hear about Charlize. Don't worry you're a great guy you won't be single long" or something like that.

I think the problem is that Guy is written to be almost *too* nice. I don't really want to call him a "Mary Sue" (or whatever the male equivalent is), but he kind of is. He's the coolest. The most together. The most talented. The sole reason for their success. And he's clearly meant to be Tom Hanks' surrogate. The problem is that he's also written to be the kindest and most empathetic. So moments that might otherwise point to some kind of interest in Faye kind of come off as him just being a nice guy. For example, when he goes back to rescue Faye it doesn't exactly come off as a romantic gesture because he would have literally done that for anyone.

And while it's awesome that he's such a great person, as far as establishing a romance, it sort of muddies the water. We really just accept their relationship because the movie asks us to.

• Like 4

I think the problem is that Guy is written to be almost *too* nice. I don't really want to call him a "Mary Sue" (or whatever the male equivalent is), but he kind of is. He's the coolest. The most together. The most talented. The sole reason for their success. And he's clearly meant to be Tom Hanks' surrogate. The problem is that he's also written to be the kindest and most empathetic. So moments that might otherwise point to some kind of interest in Faye kind of come off as him just being a nice guy. For example, when he goes back to rescue Faye it doesn't exactly come off as a romantic gesture because he would have literally done that for anyone.

And while it's awesome that he's such a great person, as far as establishing a romance, it sort of muddies the water. We really just accept their relationship because the movie asks us to.

That's true. Like how he just freely gives his money away, gets praised by the executives all the time, etc. I think that's kind of a pitfall of writing a you surrogate character into something you write.

There are brief mentions of him being sort of a playboy at the beginning the the movie, or that he's been around a few times at least. However, with the Rita Wilson scene even though she's coming on to him pretty hard he doesn't act upon it, He almost goes off with Mr. White and Howie Long (which when Howie Long says "Let's bring him along" makes more sense because of the resemblance to Tom Hanks, that would perfect for his character) but that's about it. Again it's hard to tell if that's him being pure or loyal to his girlfriend back home. Like you said he is just so nice and right it's hard to judge his actions. Faye clearly has feelings for him, as we see with her looking at the cut picture but we don't really get an equivalent scene for him.

• Like 3

That's true. Like how he just freely gives his money away, gets praised by the executives all the time, etc. I think that's kind of a pitfall of writing a you surrogate character into something you write.

There are brief mentions of him being sort of a playboy at the beginning the the movie, or that he's been around a few times at least. However, with the Rita Wilson scene even though she's coming on to him pretty hard he doesn't act upon it, He almost goes off with Mr. White and Howie Long (which when Howie Long says "Let's bring him along" makes more sense because of the resemblance to Tom Hanks, that would perfect for his character) but that's about it. Again it's hard to tell if that's him being pure or loyal to his girlfriend back home. Like you said he is just so nice and right it's hard to judge his actions. Faye clearly has feelings for him, as we see with her looking at the cut picture but we don't really get an equivalent scene for him.

And she doesn't even come to that realization until after she and Jimmy break up. Maybe it's just a product of its time. I don't think Faye has any real dialog with either Lenny or TB Player, she isn't going to end up with Mr. White, and Jimmy is a jerk, so that kind of makes Guy the de facto love interest. I think if this movie were released today (as is) people would have more of an issue with them ending up together. They honestly seem more like really good friends than lovers.

• Like 4

And she doesn't even come to that realization until after she and Jimmy break up. Maybe it's just a product of its time. I don't think Faye has any real dialog with either Lenny or TB Player, she isn't going to end up with Mr. White, and Jimmy is a jerk, so that kind of makes Guy the de facto love interest. I think if this movie were released today (as is) people would have more of an issue with them ending up together. They honestly seem more like really good friends than lovers.

If the movie had ended with Guy just convincing Faye to stay in LA, and then the end 'where are they now" said they were married, I would have been completely fine. I wasn't waiting for them to get together all movie or wanting them to kiss. Not that I was upset about it, but still. I also don't think she's really thinking about Guy romantically until he kisses her, she seemed pretty surprised by the kiss in general.

When she cut up that picture, I thought "Jimmy probably would love to have the part she snipped off showing him working hard on his music"

• Like 7

If the movie had ended with Guy just convincing Faye to stay in LA, and then the end 'where are they now" said they were married, I would have been completely fine. I wasn't waiting for them to get together all movie or wanting them to kiss. Not that I was upset about it, but still. I also don't think she's really thinking about Guy romantically until he kisses her, she seemed pretty surprised by the kiss in general.

When she cut up that picture, I thought "Jimmy probably would love to have the part she snipped off showing him working hard on his music"

I 100% agree.

Also, it would have been nice to give her an actually reason to stay in LA aside from "watch Guy play music and kiss on him and stuff."

• Like 6

Yeah, my memory of that moment wasn't that it was a big cathartic release moment where they finally get together - it was that Faye was emotionally vulnerable and kissing Guy was a rebound doomed to fail. Sara's rewrite is much better.

• Like 6

The Guy-Faye romance is one of the reasons TTYD isn't a perfect movie for me. Another reason is the ending itself. After Guy and Faye kiss (for what feels like an eternity), they walk back into the hotel. That's weird. Faye is actually all packed and checked out of the room. All of her stuff is outside, waiting for a ride to the bus station. And then, the final shot is Lamarr's stare. Why? Like, throw us a wink or a finger gun or something! The whole thing felt awkward.

EZXhcvv.png?1

• Like 5

The Guy-Faye romance is one of the reasons TTYD isn't a perfect movie for me. Another reason is the ending itself. After Guy and Faye kiss (for what feels like an eternity), they walk back into the hotel. That's weird. Faye is actually all packed and checked out of the room. All of her stuff is outside, waiting for a ride to the bus station. And then, the final shot is Lamarr's stare. Why? Like, throw us a wink or a finger gun or something! The whole thing felt awkward.

EZXhcvv.png?1

Extremely awkward! That look at the end feels like:

9f12970b5943bea7e0f027d8518260e9.jpg

• Like 5

The Guy-Faye romance is one of the reasons TTYD isn't a perfect movie for me.

Same. I really enjoyed the movie, up until the end. The Guy-Faye romance too I was like "wait why?".

I think I would have liked it a lot more if it ended the way SaraK mentioned too.

Think that would have worked better.

• Like 4

Extremely awkward! That look at the end feels like:

9f12970b5943bea7e0f027d8518260e9.jpg

Exactly! (& another one of my favorite Simpsons eps).

• Like 3

I wonder if people in 1996 werent waiting for them to get together? It may be ine of thos moments that was test screened or something.

It doesnt bother me, mainly because i read between the lines and knew they would end up together in the end.

Out of curiosity why didn't TES become the next big thing? He was clearly posed to; he had the dumb frat comedy (Dead Man on Campus), the "prestige" horror flick (American Werewolf in Paris), the romantic comedy (TTYD) and the heavy drama with Meryl Streep, William Hurt and Renee Zwelleger. And yest he never became the superstar that Hollywood wanted him to be.

• Like 2

Exactly! (& another one of my EVERYONE'S favorite Simpsons eps).

FTFY

It doesnt bother me, mainly because i read between the lines and knew they would end up together in the end.

Lol, it was very obvious, from the first time they share a scene. Not saying it came out of nowhere.

• Like 3

One thing I was curious about is Mr. White's seat on the plane. Maybe an historian on planes and aviation can help me out here but he was suppose to be in first class? He was at the back of the plane though, did first class use to be at the back? Also they were at an odd four seater with a table. Was that ever a thing? Could chairs turn around back in the day? Is that just a first class perk?

• Like 1