🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 51 The Rose

23 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Or have it end like mother! Have Rose's adoring crowd rip her to shreds and then burn all of Jacksonville to the ground.

I think we've decided that what this movie needs is a Darren Aronofsky remake.

I mean I'm all for Jacksonville being burnt to the ground. I assume it happens because of a Molotov cocktailing of someone's boat by a rival dance crew gone horrifically wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I agree. I think dying alone in a bedroom would have been a step too far for me. I mean, I can just imagine this slow pan out from her body on the floor. The movie is rough enough without that going on too...

At least the movie lets her go out in a somewhat triumphant fashion even if its no less tragic.

To be honest I fully thought she was going to die in that phone booth or wander out and collapse on the football field. I did NOT expect her to make it as long as she did so when she started to sing the second song I just assumed she would burst into a sobbing meltdown or something not drop dead. I was shocked by that. Not ending of A Night In Heaven shocked (I literally screamed at that ending) but still shocked.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Good news everyone! I am out of the hospital!

Huzzah!!! I'm so happy you're feeling better!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Good news everyone! I am out of the hospital!

93M.gif

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Or really hammer home the tragedy. Let her collapse...then show her OD... then no one attends her funeral... then, I don't know, the last shot is a dog peeing on her unkempt tombstone?

So.... The Great Gatsby.

Right, Sarah Lynn?

Sarah Lynn?

Sarah Lynn?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

So.... The Great Gatsby.

Right, Sarah Lynn?

Sarah Lynn?

Sarah Lynn?

I mean... could she be read as a Gatsby like figure constantly striving for love and in the end being brought down by a vindictive asshole  but ultimately being the one who orchestrated her own demise ? Is there a scene where she throws her million scarf ensembles around a room to impress Hudson? Does this make her army bodyguard Nick though? It's been a while since I re-read The Great Gatsby. I just know in my soul that Jordan Baker is a lesbian and that's all that matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigitastic said:

I mean... could she be read as a Gatsby like figure constantly striving for love and in the end being brought down by a vindictive asshole  but ultimately being the one who orchestrated her own demise ? Is there a scene where she throws her million scarf ensembles around a room to impress Hudson? Does this make her army bodyguard Nick though? It's been a while since I re-read The Great Gatsby. I just know in my soul that Jordan Baker is a lesbian and that's all that matters.

It's been decades since I've read Gatsby. I just remember that after he died, no one came to his funeral. Indicating that after how much he rose, he was still all alone in the end.

Keep in mind I didn't watch The Rose (it's actually a tough one to get ahold of legally - all I can find is getting physical media).

Btw, I think it was you that mentioned above 

Even if  you don't care she's a human being, you should care about  your profits. She's your asset, and is essentially your main product. You don't want to have people coming to see her and being pissed she's barely able to perform and looks like a corpse from burn out.  That's how you get people demanding their money back, fans not buying tickets for the next show because word gets out she sucks,and venues canceling you .

I'll point out, while this is us on the outside looking in, but it's not too far off from it felt like how the whole Lindsay Lohan decline played out (and the manager was family - her mother, I believe).

I think it's the sense that the artist is spiraling out already and that's what's wearing them down, not the work. And the work is the only thing enabling them to afford to keep themselves going. And sometimes people are just shitty, and will squeeze what they can before it's all gone dry (partially because the manager needs the money now as well and they don't believe the artist will come back). After which point they'll just move onto the next star.

From what you guys are describing, that's what it sounds like here. Now, whether if that actually accurate in terms of reality (as opposed to a fictitious archetype that people not directly involved believe is true and tell and retell in fictious stories)... "eh, IDK."

I do wish I could remember Dusty and Sweets McGee for some comparisons, which is definitely a movie I have seen at some point, but can't remember literally anything about it. I assume at least one of them died of an overdose, but I can't even remember if that's true. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

(that's not literally true; the movie I want to do isn't streaming on the sites i use, I have it on my computer, and I have to figure out Rabbiting or even if it's available to you guys to rent or pay to stream or whatever. how do you all like to find these movies?  what methods do you all use?)

I apologize for not responding sooner.  Rabbit is only good if the source is available online.  If you only have a DVD then don't use Rabbit.  I went through a lot of trouble (worth it!) to rip the DVD and make it available but there were lots of complications in showing it.  Then Twentieth Century Fox came along and dinged me so I have a mark on my account.  I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

7 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I apologize for not responding sooner.  Rabbit is only good if the source is available online.  If you only have a DVD then don't use Rabbit.  I went through a lot of trouble (worth it!) to rip the DVD and make it available but there were lots of complications in showing it.  Then Twentieth Century Fox came along and dinged me so I have a mark on my account.  I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

Yea I don't have to rip anything, so that should help. This weekend, I will look into spots where I can upload it so I can play it on Rabbit. Suggestions welcome!  Will Vimeo let me do that?  I'm sure Youtube won't.

Edit: OH! I just did a quick google, and it looks like DirecTV has a streaming page for this movie. I have a DirecTV account. I should be able to Rabbit that no problem. I should be set with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea I don't have to rip anything, so that should help. This weekend, I will look into spots where I can upload it so I can play it on Rabbit. Suggestions welcome!  Will Vimeo let me do that?  I'm sure Youtube won't.

Edit: OH! I just did a quick google, and it looks like DirecTV has a streaming page for this movie. I have a DirecTV account. I should be able to Rabbit that no problem. I should be set with that.

Do a test first.  Log into Rabbit and start the broadcast.  Use a different browser or open a new tab and go into Rabbit again.  You should be able to go into your room again and see if the broadcast is working.

I guess I have a few last questions.  Thanks, Slide Pocket, for choosing this!

What was her relationship with her parents?  She had Mal (or Huston? I don't remember) drive past her parents' house but then didn't stop.  They would have been THRILLED to see her!  I guess the little exchange we overheard was to show they weren't the "friendliest"?!?

Why didn't she want them to come to the concert?  More importantly, why weren't they already at the concert?!?  She could have gotten them tickets, backstage passes, set them up nicely but didn't.  Even though the concert must have been known about for weeks they didn't buy tickets on their own?

Lastly, she sounded like she was about 10 years old when she called home.  She was so thrilled to hear their voices and talk to them.  It was like she was calling from summer camp.  She could have seen them in person hours ago before it all went pear-shaped and maybe the whole mess could have been avoided.  Very sad.  (I'm getting emotional typing this.)

Oh, and credit typos.

1) The subtitles have Huston spelled as Houston.  That makes more sense given the "Looks more like Galveston" crack Sarah gave him.  Yet the credits have it as Huston.

2) The last club she sings at is named Monte's (with an e) according to the sign outside.  Yet the credits have the owner as Monty and the band members as "Monty's Band".

3) I thought the important person Rudge wanted Rose to meet backstage (before Huston said she was tired) was named Don Franks.  Yet the credits have it as Don Frank.  His wife isn't important enough to get a name.  She's just "Don Frank's Wife".  (Although Billy Ray's son is just "Billy Ray's Kid" so I guess the love is spread around. :-D)

Toni Basil was the choreographer.  I'm not familiar with any choreography work of hers.  Just her pop single.

Catching up on old HDTGM movies. Watched Hackers recently and Sleepaway Camp last night. That was some crazy nonsense. Loved the new take on the Psycho shower scene.

• Like 2

This is in response to what @ol' eddy wrecksand @gigitastic were saying about the possibility of no one attending Rose's funeral, a la Gatsby. I think this film could have definitely ended on a more realistic note if they showed her funeral, being celebrated and lauded by her fans. Although this movie clearly takes place in a world much closer to 1979 than 1969 (despite the art on the tour plane), people STILL adore the dead rock stars from the late 1960s. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, hell, even drunk poet shithead Jim Morrison has people still leaving flowers on his grave. I think it would have been bittersweet to see Rose die FEELING alone and unloved, but with her music reaching so many people, enriching their lives, and continuing to do so long after her death. Hell, this town would probably build a museum or a tourist attractoion dedicated to her home and where she died within a year. Sure, it would be a cash grab (with the manager selling her likeness rights maybe?), but it would bring people who love her together.

Play this at Rose's funeral?

• Like 4

Soft remake of The Rose? I wouldn't immediately make the connection, but the content AND the title similarities made me think there might be some shared DNA...