🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 29.5 — Minisode 29.5

We have a big one in store for you guys! It's a musical. It's a remake. The Witness Protection Program is involved. And most importantly, it's about a motorcycle-riding rapper. The movie is Cool as Ice starring Rob Van Winkle who will be joining Paul, June, Jason, and comedian Brian Huskey to tell us everything we've ever wanted to know about this major flop. It's not too late to buy your tickets to How Did This Get Made? LIVE at Largo with special guest "Weird Al" Yankovic! Hope to see you guys tonight!

Great choice on "Cool as Ice". That a slice of early 90's life that would terrify most invading alien hordes. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

As for "Splice" - it's not all that bad. There's no reason to do that flick when i'm sure you guys have a pile already in mind. If you want to know how "Splice" got made, look no further than the the director. Vincenzo Natali, that guy is batshit insane. He surely just enjoys the idea of fucking hot monster hermaphrodites. Then again, the thought of Adrian Brody and Sarah Polley as rock and roll scientists is pretty fucking absurd. Shit, i'm talking myself into it - no! It's just not bad enough. In a world with plenty of Nicolas Cage material still left to view, "Splice" is nowhere near the level of insanity that it takes to require asking, how did this get made.

Since when was Splice a bad movie? It's a horror movie, and we all know there's nothing scarier than Adrian Brody's nose.

• Like 1

I can't help but think that Jason will rub Vanilla Ice the wrong way causing him to go on a rampage like the MTV incident.

awwwwwwwwwww shit.

this is the first one I added to the recommendation thread.

excited for this ep. can't believe you had V-Ice in studio. hahaha. jesus.

fuckin' love this movie. lol

Splice isn't lol worthy. it has more than a few WTF moments, but all the humour lies in it's themes, and not very much of what is on camera will make you laugh. I don't know who gave you this idea, but it'd be a tough show to pull off.

Port of Call New Orleans is fantastic, front to back.

• Like 1

When I was all of six-years-old, I purchased a hot cassette copy of To The Extreme for my professor father because I was sure he would love it. I mean how could he not? It was the hit on the playground!

I hope Mr. Van Winkle addresses his chilling turn as himself in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

Personally, I like Splice, but like with a lot of horror, it's a film that is entirely dependent on the attitude you go into with. If you're ready to pick it a part and discover its insanity, it's there, but when you're on board for a pretty serious film with a fair amount of heavy subject matter, you can get a lot out of it. It raises some questions on relationships and the moral dilemmas associated with modern science, but never goes far enough with them to make it a great film.

In the end, it's captivating, but there isn't much that pushes it from being more than slightly above-average. Pretty middle-of-the-road for a HDTGM episode, imo.

I kind of wish you didn't have Vanilla Ice on to discuss Cool as Ice just because it's such an unbelievably bad movie and I feel like you'll be nicer about it with him there. I could be wrong though!

Paul... any explanation on how your favorite Prince movie is Wild Hogs? I'm guessing joke, but I'm open for another answer.

Splice has nothing on Canada's ultimate film treasure, Def-Con 4.

Kudos to "Cool as Ice" as your next pick, the start of Van Winkle's "wtf" trifecta, followed by TMNT 2, and his soon-to-be released Happy Madison production.

I literally fist pumped the air when it was announced that Mr. V.W. was gonna be the guest. Until that point, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if he was the guest.

only problem? you should do a live taping !!!!! i was at Superman III and will be at Birdemic tonite and Cool as Ice live taping would be epic.

in any case, Mr. ICE gets all my respect. He got in the game, got paid, and wisely invested his money. He's a smart guy. can't wait.

I can see how some people feel Splice might fit into that HDTGM sub-category of 'What the fuck am I watching?' - but I don't really think it does. It has a high production value, great performances, and pays respectful homage to esteemed cinematic and literary entities from Frankenstein to Metropolis. And it's not really all that far out there - in fact a lot of the movie is downright subdued. So I respectfully disagree that Splice should be featured on HDTGM. There's plenty of legitimate crap and unhinged flicks that deserve the HDTGM treatment.

• Like 1

Also, SUPER stoked about Cool as Ice with Vanilla Ice. Can't wait to stop, collaborate and listen to that episode.

You're right, that was an awful joke!

Holy crap yes! I love it when you get people involved with a movie on the episode.

I didn't think Splice was bad. It was an interesting thought experiemnt, but I felt like they had a hard time figuring out a good way to wrap it up. However, I do think it is a crazy enough movie that it would be fun to hear you guys talk about it.

Cool As Ice.... man.... rough stuff

Is Splice weird as hell? Sure. Is there two human-on-alien sex scenes? Absolutely. Is one of those scenes a rape scene? Uh huh. But is it still somehow a genuinely good movie? Yup.

The integrity of your podcast would be compromised if you sincerely asked "How did Splice get made?".

But, on the other hand...alien rape. So, yea, I understand your struggle.

Cheers!

-Dante.

• Like 1

Awesome.

I put a rec up for this one as well. Can't wait!

I hope they mention the bowl of lemons the girl keeps next to her bed for no reason.

Unless of course she's worried about scurvy.

There are probably 100 other movies that would be better dissected and dissed by this crew than Splice. But if you guys are feeling going there I am sure you will all have as many good things to say about it which can also be fun (See: Crank 1 &2).

Do what you will, but Splice is a unique, independent horror film with B movie moments in between some very serious tone and subtext. Couple that with great acting and directing and you have a formula for pretty much every great horror movie. A genre suffering bad remakes and sequels that could use more films like it.

On the other hand, I understand Natali is very accessible for interviews...

Sign in to follow this