🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 69 High Society

Just now, Cinco DeNio said:

Wait until Monday.  That's when the announcements are made.  Cameron or someone will create a thread for it.  I will find the link for the rotation list.

Cool, thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Wait until Monday.  That's when the announcements are made.  Cameron or someone will create a thread for it.  I will find the link for the rotation list.

Here's the old rotation with a list of films.  It's not up-to-date but is the most exhaustive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Okay, here's the thing. I liked Bing, he has a certain amount of charm even though he was an awful man and he has some fun songs. Grace Kelly is beautiful and charming and wonderful. Frank Sinatra though... ugh. Like he brings the movie down so much for me. I wanted to like the story more but having seen The Philadelphia Story and I knew where it was going (for the most part) and watching Frank "act" for the first half of the movie was insufferable to me. The only person he seemed to have any patter or chemistry with was Bing and then the bad drunk acting... ugh. Overall, I want to like this movie more than I did but I think I'll just rewatch The Philadelphia Story again.

Yeah no The Philadelphia Story is by far the better movie. I'm lucky I saw this first because ooof. I think Grace Kelly is trying her hardest with what she's got. I love the but where she first meets the reporters. I genuinely laughed at the bitchy things she said.

• Like 4

I thought it was hilarious that they say Tracy and Dexter "grew up together."  In what reality is this possible?  Dexter probably got his first liver spot when Tracy was born.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I admit the hooded coat made it kind of obvious they were in a studio in front of a screen.  There wasn't nearly enough wind as there would have been if they were in a towed car.  Her hood probably wouldn't have stayed in place.

There could've been a gale-force wind and the screen backdrop would still be obvious 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

At the risk of being another white man explaining jazz, Satchmo is a nickname that Armstrong didn't care for. His preferred nickname was and still is Pops. (I mean, he is dead obviously, but jazz fans call him Pops, or, you know. His name.)

Fun fact, Sinatra and Crosby were both terrible people who liked to beat their wives and kids, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Pretty much all of Audrey's early films have this dynamic. She wasn't thrilled about it according to her biographer but it was how Hollywood rolled. Check out later stuff like Two for the Road or Robin and Marian for some more realistic(ish) relationships.

I do love Funny Face, but mainly for Audrey and Kay Howard, who is amazing. And I quite enjoy Paris When it Sizzles, which re-teamed her with her ex-lover William Holden in a more mature kind of relationship, and has a hilarious running gag with Tony Curtis making fun of Marlon Brando.

I love Audrey Hepburn and I think my favorite movies are Charade and How To Steal A Million. 

Paris When It Sizzles just wasn't for me I think I if I'm remembering correctly?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Guys, I think my favorite pairing from this movie is Grace Kelly and her hooded coat.  It has a whimsical hood and a white exterior, while the inner lining is Joseph's coat of many colors.

KTOmtxd.jpg?2

99iGI3s.png?1

Mine is the swim dress cover-up

2d9c3bea4c1c479dc5e8ebf835bb608b.jpg

I love the costumes on this movie, and the sets!

The light green room from the opening where they were sorting presents? I want it exactly as is don't change a thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

I love Audrey Hepburn and I think my favorite movies are Charade and How To Steal A Million. 

Paris When It Sizzles just wasn't for me I think I if I'm remembering correctly?

I haven't seen How to Steal a Million in ages. I really must rewatch it sometime. I love Peter O'Toole. Charade is good too, great cast in a kind of late-period Hitchcock kind of story. There are a few films of hers I don't really care if I ever see again - The Nun's Story, War and Peace, Green Mansions - but there is something to like in most of them, I think. I think both Charade and Paris When it Sizzles have been remade in the last decade or so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I thought it was hilarious that they say Tracy and Dexter "grew up together."  In what reality is this possible?  Dexter probably got his first liver spot when Tracy was born.

Obviously that liver spot and Tracy grew together! And in a few years when Tracy turns 30  he's moving on to the next Lord . He already wrote her a creepy song and everything, and according to Caroline they are engaged.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

Obviously that liver spot and Tracy grew together! And in a few years when Tracy turns 30  he's moving on to the next Lord . He already wrote her a creepy song and everything, and according to Caroline they are engaged.

That was totally creepy, right??  I can't really blame Caroline, as she's been fed milk and arsenic for too long and that probably messed up her brain.

45 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

Mine is the swim dress cover-up

2d9c3bea4c1c479dc5e8ebf835bb608b.jpg

I love the costumes on this movie, and the sets!

The light green room from the opening where they were sorting presents? I want it exactly as is don't change a thing.

I loved that cover-up.  It reminded me of this JCrew dress from a couple of years that I love and would've bought if the damn thing didn't sell out in 5 seconds.  #istillhaveragrets

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

That was totally creepy, right??  I can't really blame Caroline, as she's been fed milk and arsenic for too long and that probably messed up her brain.

I loved that cover-up.  It reminded me of this JCrew dress from a couple of years that I love and would've bought if the damn thing didn't sell out in 5 seconds.  #istillhaveragrets

#TheDressThatGotAway we all have one

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I thought this was a fun watch, but also agree that The Philadelphia Story was the better one. Grace Kelly was hands down the best part. I, too, laughed out loud at the way she greeted the reporters. And Ms. Imbrie was of course Karen in All About Eve. I was really disappointed in her accepting Sinatra at the end. He spent the entire time trying to get in Grace Kelly's pants.  

On the Tracy-Dexter relationship - did I miss why they got divorced? I remember her saying something about him almost ruining her life, but I don't know if they ever make it clear why they split up in the first place.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I thought this was a fun watch, but also agree that The Philadelphia Story was the better one. Grace Kelly was hands down the best part. I, too, laughed out loud at the way she greeted the reporters. And Ms. Imbrie was of course Karen in All About Eve. I was really disappointed in her accepting Sinatra at the end. He spent the entire time trying to get in Grace Kelly's pants.  

On the Tracy-Dexter relationship - did I miss why they got divorced? I remember her saying something about him almost ruining her life, but I don't know if they ever make it clear why they split up in the first place.

I feel like it's implied he also cheated on her? Like her dad did to her mom? Which if so makes sense that she left his ancient ass

Fun fact about All About Eve Celeste Holms HATED Bette Davis

• Like 4

I liked some of the music and Grace Kelly but mostly found this film a little dreary. I feel like I've already forgotten it and I finished it like 10 minutes ago.

• Like 4

I have not seen Philadelphia Story (I own it, but I’ve been saving it to watch with Unspooled), and I have to say, this isn’t what I thought it was about at all - lol.

Overall, I thought it was fine, but a bit too light to be substantial. Nothing felt necessary. It felt like they could (or maybe should) have introduced maybe some more class conflict. I mean, it’s kind of there, but not enough that you would believe it was making any kind of statement. Things happen and they’re resolved. It’s plotting all felt very sitcom-y to me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Tracy wanted Dexter to become a “serious composer” or a diplomat, but instead he became a “jukebox hero,” which is not a reputable career, I guess?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I liked some of the music and Grace Kelly but mostly found this film a little dreary. I feel like I've already forgotten it and I finished it like 10 minutes ago.

I haven't watched this yet but I'm sure I'd feel the same. Everyone is saying Philadelphia Story is better but I remember not being too into it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Tracy wanted Dexter to become a “serious composer” or a diplomat, but instead he became a “jukebox hero,” which is not a reputable career, I guess?

It worked out ok for Lou Gramm, I guess, but you don't want to count on that kind of dumb luck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

That's the kind of classist thing I was talking about. It wasn't enough that he was successful. He needed to be successful in a "respectable" (i.e. blue blooded) kind of way. But after she says that, it's never really an issue again. After she says that to him she seems pretty into his music and I guess we're supposed to infer that something in the plot occurred that made her have a change of heart. 

• Like 4

Just now, Cameron H. said:

That's the kind of classist thing I was talking about. It wasn't enough that he was successful. He needed to be successful in a "respectable" (i.e. blue blooded) kind of way. But after she says that, it's never really an issue again. After she says that to him she seems pretty into his music and I guess we're supposed to infer that something in the plot occurred that made her have a change of heart. 

She looked at the model boat and it put her into a trance.  Perhaps that?  No, but seriously, she was constantly being mansplained about how to be a good woman and to come down from her pedestal - I think "high priestess" was thrown around - and maybe we're supposed to believe these talks put some sense into her?  🤦‍♀️

Anyhoo, did anyone notice the weird gray makeup on Frank Sinatra?  And towards the end when we get a full shot of him from the left, you can see a gnarly scar on his face.  Apparently, Sinatra's mom had a difficult birth and the doctor had to use forceps on the baby's face during delivery, which left a huge scar.  

• Like 3