🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
FamiliarSort

Non-political alternative to HDTGM?

Years long listener here; finally had enough and unsubscribed. To me podcasts are a way to escape from politics, and unfortunately this one has grown increasingly political. June is the longtime offender here, as Jason and Paul come off as fairly neutral. If I wanted to listen to left wing identity politics (or right wing politics) I would listen to a politics podcast.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, FamiliarSort said:

Years long listener here; finally had enough and unsubscribed. To me podcasts are a way to escape from politics, and unfortunately this one has grown increasingly political. June is the longtime offender here, as Jason and Paul come off as fairly neutral. If I wanted to listen to left wing identity politics (or right wing politics) I would listen to a politics podcast.

Godspeed, sweet snowflake

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Sick burn dude. The irony is I could say the same thing about you.

5 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I get the cathartic impulse to clap back at this poster (believe me), but it’s a lose-lose endeavor; as evidenced by the initial post and their response, this commentator (who interestingly enough only has two posts on this message board, btw) thrives on negative attention and here we are giving them exactly that.

We live an increasingly divided and conquered culture, and resorting to their methods (playground name calling) is just fuel for their fire; they were just waiting for a response to their drama-fueled post and here we both are giving it to them. Ultimately, what’s the point?

Let go of the anger and frustration they are so desperately trying to manipulate you into, starve this post and just let it wither away into obscurity. They want to leave and get their little two cents in in the process? Mazel tov and whatever... Hey, no one’s keeping them here, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Let go of the anger and frustration they are so desperately trying to manipulate you into,

You see my username, right?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

You see my username, right?

Haha! I do. I’ve also read and enjoyed your great and insightful comments on the boards and you strike me as a very thoughtful, intelligent and hilarious member of this community.

This thread isn’t even worth TheAbsoluteShittiestBuddhist’s time, let alone yours. Your powers are wasted here.

• Like 1

Friend, assuming you are asking this question in good faith, I will say right now that there really isn't an alternative. Discussions of art and culture are inevitably going to intersect with politics, because you can't discuss the messages behind the media without revealing at least some your political orientation.

I would suggest instead examining within yourself why you would expect to avoid "politics" in general or if it's really just a particular kind of politics that bothers you and why.

• Like 9

You're going to have a hard time finding anything like HDTGM that is either non-political or right-leaning. We live in a world that is actively battling with fascism. People who are as funny as out three hosts are empathic, and they will not be able to ignore the reality around us. And nor should they.

• Like 4

On 3/4/2020 at 1:33 AM, FamiliarSort said:

Sick burn dude. The irony is I could say the same thing about you.

I can't imagine how, except I guess in the way that imbeciles on Fox News would mean it, ie. the opposite of what it actually means.

'Cause the thing is, kid, I'm not the one having a hissy fit and taking my marbles and going home when a podcast I claim to like doesn't align precisely with what my Republican masters tell me to think. I'm the one who is part of the LGBTQ community, putting up with hateful nonsense from entitled idiots on the internet for over 30 years now.

Your username is well chosen, at least; you are a very familiar sort of troll. Tiresomely so. You can drop the poor innocent apolitical listener act. You started this thread to stir shit, to get a reaction, maybe to get some sympathetic DMs from any other creeps lurking here. So, you got what you wanted. Congrats.

As the person charged with cleaning up the mess when real trolls show up here, OP's criticism of the show is pretty mild. HDTGM has unquestionably gotten more political since 2016, going so far as to publish minisodes about June's book and an interview with a local politician. I skipped those, not because they don't align with my politics—I'm an atheist feminist who would be delighted by either a Warren (sigh) or Sanders presidency—but because my podcast time is increasingly rare these days and I can barely keep up with the main episodes, let alone side missions.

When this thread was started, I hoped it would be met with the stony silence it deserves and then forgotten, since it doesn't violate any of the stated forum rules or warrant deletion. Some of the responses are getting close, though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Hedgehog 1

I've noticed recently a couple users popping up with random tangents like this and I'm just assuming it's just the same dude. In all fairness I concern myself with politics/law as little as possible since it's part of my day job, but even when this is brought up in the show, it's not at an amount to really take away from the overall content of the show. And if this is an honest question from OP, simply use Google and just start going down the result list until you find something more in line with what you want.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, sycasey 2.0 said:

Friend, assuming you are asking this question in good faith, I will say right now that there really isn't an alternative. Discussions of art and culture are inevitably going to intersect with politics, because you can't discuss the messages behind the media without revealing at least some your political orientation.

I would suggest instead examining within yourself why you would expect to avoid "politics" in general or if it's really just a particular kind of politics that bothers you and why.

I’m not letting this go. I didn’t expect such vicious attacks on me for asking a simple question, mostly from one particular person. There are plenty of podcasts that don’t interject politics to this degree. They literally just put out an interview of a politician ... on a movie podcast. They keep pushing June’s political book ... on a movie podcast. I’m not buying what you’re selling! I don’t care if it’s politically left, right, up or down. 

How about change the title? Maybe June’s Politics and Movie Mash-Up? At least that would be more honest to the prospective listener. 

Shame on the intolerance of the users here. 

Dude, you came here solely to troll us. Fine, you don't like June's politics, nor the podcast anymore. Thanks?

Instead of examining your anti-politics stance, which fine, but maybe examine why you felt it necessary to come on to a podcast's fan board and announce you hate it and you're not listening anymore, when you've never said one word to anyone here before.

That's trolling. I'm not sure how that's not against the rules in here, tbh.

4 hours ago, FamiliarSort said:

I’m not letting this go. I didn’t expect such vicious attacks on me for asking a simple question, mostly from one particular person. There are plenty of podcasts that don’t interject politics to this degree. They literally just put out an interview of a politician ... on a movie podcast. They keep pushing June’s political book ... on a movie podcast. I’m not buying what you’re selling! I don’t care if it’s politically left, right, up or down. 

How about change the title? Maybe June’s Politics and Movie Mash-Up? At least that would be more honest to the prospective listener. 

Shame on the intolerance of the users here. 

You’re still here, huh? I thought you were unsubscribing... 

I admit I wasn’t excited to see a political interview in my feed. I also didn’t listen because I don’t vote in LA. But I know a lot of people do. I think it’s within Paul and June’s right to use their platform for, what they think, is the greater good. This is a free podcast. They don’t owe me anything, 

On the other hand, I also wonder what is about JUNE’s politics that is offensive? (Moreso than Jason’s 9/11 jokes?) It is a fairly well-known fact that women run for office less than men do.  I think both parties could benefit from June’s book. I sincerely hope this isn’t another example of the forum complaining that Cameron Esposito is too loud, when Jason and Pete Holmes were also shouting. (And without knowing what is in other people’s hearts, I cannot know.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I admit I wasn’t excited to see a political interview in my feed. I also didn’t listen because I don’t vote in LA. But I know a lot of people do. I think it’s within Paul and June’s right to use their platform for, what they think, is the greater good. This is a free podcast. They don’t owe me anything, 

On the other hand, I also wonder what is about JUNE’s politics that is offensive? (Moreso than Jason’s 9/11 jokes?) It is a fairly well-known fact that women run for office less than men do.  I think both parties could benefit from June’s book. I sincerely hope this isn’t another example of the forum complaining that Cameron Esposito is too loud, when Jason and Pete Holmes were also shouting. (And without knowing what is in other people’s hearts, I cannot know.) 

Wait 9/11 jokes are political? I must be doing them wrong.

5 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but personally I do get annoyed when the discussion of politics stops the momentum and comedy of the show dead in its tracks.  And I think here is where the difference between Jason and June can be seen.  Jason can sometimes make political comments/ jokes but it’s seemingly always with the purpose of making the audience laugh, whereas June will sometimes (not always) get on her soapbox to preach on behalf of one of her causes.  I think the most glaring example of this is the Striptease episode which featured a long rant from June without any laughs.  I don’t necessarily disagree with June’s points, but I listen to this show to laugh and mock terrible films.  

Again, I’m not going to the extremes as the original poster and claiming that I’m going to stop listening to the show.  But I do understand the frustration some may have when it feels like the focus is only on how these movies do not hold up in the eyes of our ‘woke culture’.  There are plenty of things to make fun of in these films that do not involve social politics.

I hope no one is offended by this; I just wanted to add my perspective on the topic.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:58 AM, DrGuts1003 said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but personally I do get annoyed when the discussion of politics stops the momentum and comedy of the show dead in its tracks.  And I think here is where the difference between Jason and June can be seen.  Jason can sometimes make political comments/ jokes but it’s seemingly always with the purpose of making the audience laugh, whereas June will sometimes (not always) get on her soapbox to preach on behalf of one of her causes.  I think the most glaring example of this is the Striptease episode which featured a long rant from June without any laughs.  I don’t necessarily disagree with June’s points, but I listen to this show to laugh and mock terrible films.  

Again, I’m not going to the extremes as the original poster and claiming that I’m going to stop listening to the show.  But I do understand the frustration some may have when it feels like the focus is only on how these movies do not hold up in the eyes of our ‘woke culture’.  There are plenty of things to make fun of in these films that do not involve social politics.

I hope no one is offended by this; I just wanted to add my perspective on the topic.

This could be construed as an offensive opinion on this forum? What the hell, we're not allowed to have our own political opinions and preferences? I couldn't care less if I deviate from whatever political ideology you're all into. If HDTGM's goal is amplify their echo chamber, and bleed listeners that don't agree with the orthodoxy, then they're doing a good job. 

On 3/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, DrGuts1003 said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about; you're not a troll, you didn't create a forum account for the sole purpose of owning the liberals, you have sincere feedback about a podcast you actually care about, and I think that is pretty much what a forum like this is for, vs. whatever OP thinks he's doing.

And I agree. It's not fun to hear June go off on an angry rant about how terribly women are treated in the US and around the world. She is a professional entertainer. She is well aware of the effect of something like that on a show, and I suspect her instinct as a performer is to use it sparingly and with great fury and focus, for maximum effect. There have also been times where she has injected "politics" into an episode - like the conditions that Hollywood animals perform under - where it's worked better and they were still able to wring some laughs from it. I applaud her taking her obvious passion for it and putting it into other vehicles that are targeted more at bringing political change.

Everything we create happens in the context of the world we are living in. Pointing out that a film has aged poorly due to how it treats its female or minority characters is more than fair. It may feel kind of repetitive after a while, but that just kind of underlines the problem. It isn't a film's fault, or a podcast's fault, for simply acknowledging the terrible conditions of the society that it came from. One of the things that I like about HDTGM is that it DOES get real in that way sometimes.

I have nothing but love and empathy for those who are actually making an effort to bring humour and comfort to others in the world. And as I get older, I have nothing but contempt for those who are just grown up frightened children trying to hold back others because Fox news told them to. That said, I wouldn't want to make life harder for actual fans who are here to extend their enjoyment of the podcast.

Unless they are, for example, Trump voters, who have made it pretty clear that they want me and my kind dead, so... why would I ever be civil to them?

11 hours ago, FamiliarSort said:

This could be construed as an offensive opinion on this forum? What the hell, we're not allowed to have our own political opinions and preferences? I couldn't care less if I deviate from whatever political ideology you're all into. If HDTGM's goal is amplify their echo chamber, and bleed listeners that don't agree with the orthodoxy, then they're doing a good job. 

Not good enough, apparently.

As it happens I've just started my own little amateur film podcast, so to help the OP out I'll ensure my next episode does a feature on Marxist European cinema, with in-depth reviews of Bertolucci's 1900, The Battle of Algiers and basically everything by Ken Loach

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cockney Mackem said:

As it happens I've just started my own little amateur film podcast, so to help the OP out I'll ensure my next episode does a feature on Marxist European cinema, with in-depth reviews of Bertolucci's 1900, The Battle of Algiers and basically everything by Ken Loach

Link?