Jump to content
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 90 Preview (Cameron H.'s Pick)

Recommended Posts

I'm jumping the gun a little but Cameron asked me to create the thread.  So, here with something I am sure we will all despise and detest, is Cameron H.!

giphy.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, so, I had a movie all lined up that I've been meaning to pick for a really long time; however, it's not streaming anywhere, and given current affairs, I didn't want to put too many people out of pocket to rent something that may or not be good. So I narrowed it down to two other choices, and I'm picking the one that (I think) might generate the most discussion (either in a good or bad way). The good news is, this is also a pick I've had in my back pocket for as long as we've been doing this. In fact, it was almost my second ever pick after Hairspray. I didn't choose it because I didn't want it to seem like I had a theme (although, my third pick would have definitely been Head had I gone with this second. :P )  

Spoiler

 

So, I picked:

movieposter.jpg

 

I have no idea what it's about, but it's on Amazon Video. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Okay, so, I had a movie all lined up that I've been meaning to pick for a really long time; however, it's not streaming anywhere, and given current affairs, I didn't want to put too many people out of pocket to rent something that may or not be good. So I narrowed it down to two other choices, and I'm picking the one that (I think) might generate the most discussion (either in a good or bad way). The good news is, this is also a pick I've had in my back pocket for as long as we've been doing this. In fact, it was almost my second ever pick after Hairspray. I didn't choose it because I didn't want it to seem like I had a theme (although, my third pick would have definitely been Head had I gone with this second. :P )  

  Hide contents

 

So, I picked:

movieposter.jpg

 

I have no idea what it's about, but it's on Amazon Video. 

ce77964913f58787080fb5c3c478cbc8.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Cinco DeNio said:

ce77964913f58787080fb5c3c478cbc8.gif

Sorry! I will do the one meant to do next time!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

So, I picked:

movieposter.jpg

 

I have no idea what it's about, but it's on Amazon Video. 

Well if this IMDB description doesn't clarify it I don't know what will.

Quote

With exuberance, inventiveness and humor, Treat Williams and Beverly D'Angelo lead a cast of future stars in this film of one of Broadway's most popular musical phenomenons of all time.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

My knowledge of this is almost entirely based on that episode of Head Of The Class where they performed this musical. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

My knowledge of this is almost entirely based on that episode of Head Of The Class where they performed this musical. 

I know that it was controversial for having naked actors on stage, and that “The Age of Aquarius” is in it. Other than that, I have no clue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So, wait!  This 2016 movie ISN'T the one we're watching?

91OMXAJrkkL._SX300_.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

That means I can pick this for my next one.  Oh, wait, it's not a musical. I still like it. 🙂

blow-dry-japanese-dvd-movie-cover.jpg?v=

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I know that it was controversial for having naked actors on stage, and that “The Age of Aquarius” is in it. Other than that, I have no clue.

That's about all I know. There's a song that I assume is called "Manchester England"

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

That's about all I know. There's a song that I assume is called "Manchester England"

When I hear Treat Williams and Beverly D'Angelo the first thing I think of is Manchester, England.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I know that it was controversial for having naked actors on stage, and that “The Age of Aquarius” is in it. Other than that, I have no clue.

Add to this the main song which I believe goes "Give me a head with hair, hair, long glorious hair, shoulder length or longer" and we're on the same page.

In fact this one may out hippie Jesus Christ Superstar.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

That means I can pick this for my next one.  Oh, wait, it's not a musical. I still like it. 🙂

blow-dry-japanese-dvd-movie-cover.jpg?v=

I can not translate this because I have no idea how to say the one thing in English. I guess barber chair but that's not right. In a salon, is there a special term for the chair/sink combo?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cam Bert said:

Add to this the main song which I believe goes "Give me a head with hair, hair, long glorious hair, shoulder length or longer" and we're on the same page.

In fact this one may out hippie Jesus Christ Superstar.

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about that song. I only know the Cowsills version but it's pretty great (for maybe the least hippie band of the era to cover).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about that song. I only know the Cowsills version but it's pretty great (for maybe the least hippie band of the era to cover).

Having just watched this and knowing nothing about The Cowsills it seems very... church groupy. Like a bunch of uncool people trying to make fun of or re-appropriate something that is cool at the moment.

This also reminds me of Tesla's cover of another hippie anthem of Signs. A former glam rock band doing hippie songs just seems odd.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Having just watched this and knowing nothing about The Cowsills it seems very... church groupy. Like a bunch of uncool people trying to make fun of or re-appropriate something that is cool at the moment.

This also reminds me of Tesla's cover of another hippie anthem of Signs. A former glam rock band doing hippie songs just seems odd.

I don't know a ton about the Cowsills to tell you. The Partridge Family is inspired by/based on them if you're familiar with them except the Cowsills felt tamer than that. They looked very clean cut. They wore matching suits well after that stopped being normal for bands. They were big in the late sixties and their hair would have been acceptable in pre-Beatle era music. I don't know if they were religious, but church groupy doesn't feel far off. Just covering the song had to be ironic to the audience.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I can not translate this because I have no idea how to say the one thing in English. I guess barber chair but that's not right. In a salon, is there a special term for the chair/sink combo?

I think it’s called a shampoo backwash unit. I didn’t know either. Here’s a link to one being sold.

https://www.agssalonequipment.com/odessa-shampoo-wash-unit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwvtX0BRAFEiwAGWJyZAaCzhoKH4jfsIRvjnrWF1RBViyKOkK4EU32MZK905C7BZ3BrKwsyhoCh9YQAvD_BwE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The days have lost all meaning I keep missing Musical Monday because Monday doesn't mean anything to me anymore. What is time? 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

The days have lost all meaning I keep missing Musical Monday because Monday doesn't mean anything to me anymore. What is time? 

giphy.gif

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×