🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 94 Funny Girl

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Without being too negative, does anyone have a Streisand movie that they do like? (looking at you @tomspanks) I know a couple of you watched her version of A Star is Born, but as I said when we covered the original, I just don't think I like that story, so I doubt I would like her version any better.  

What's Up Doc? with her and Ryan O'Neal is a very funny homage to 1930s screwball comedies that I think you can give a shot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Without being too negative, does anyone have a Streisand movie that they do like? (looking at you @tomspanks) I know a couple of you watched her version of A Star is Born, but as I said when we covered the original, I just don't think I like that story, so I doubt I would like her version any better.  

Besides all her concerts?  Probably The Way We Were and Yentl.  I remember watching The Prince of Tides, but I can't remember any details about it.

• Like 3

Not that critical consensus on RT or any other site is perfect, but most of her movies (I have seen What's Up Doc and remember liking it, but that was a LONG time ago) get a rating of 70% or less. Funny girl actually got 93%. Funny Lady got 33% (most of her films rank in this area, including A Star is Born). What's Up Doc was the only other film that got a score in the 90s. 

It's pretty funny--Roger Ebert gave Funny Girl four stars, but he had all the same complaints that we did. It's one of the weirder reviews I've read because it boils down to, "Barbra Streisand is great! The rest of the movie, not so much! Four Stars!"

• Like 3

Here's Ben Vereen's stand-alone number from Funny Lady.

• Like 1

Here are a couple screen grabs from the other numbers.  The first song is called "So Long, Honey Lamb" and the second is "It's Gonna Be a Great Day."

RQ3qAhT.jpg?1

gQ5RJrF.jpg?1

P1vYkPm.jpg?1

• Like 1

This will always be my favorite Ben Vareen performance:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you guys listened to the new Bob Dylan album yet? I’m really liking it so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Have you guys listened to the new Bob Dylan album yet? I’m really liking it so far.

Just one time so far, but I love it yea. Reminds me of the "Things Have Changed" style of writing from him, which is my favorite. I think maybe a few songs drag a little for me, but for the most part, it's going to be fun to keep digging into it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Yeah. I haven't gotten really deep into it because I was working while I listened. My immediate reaction is that it's great.

• Like 3

Two last things from me about Funny Lady.

In this video James Caan tells how he "tricked" Barbra Streisand in one scene.  (In the movie their characters have a fight in her dressing room.  She grabs a container of powder and hits him with it, spreading powder all over his front.  He reaches down, picks up the container and holds it in front of her while she makes feeble apologies.  He then hits her in the forehead with the powder, getting it all over her face.)  In this interview he explains that she didn't want him to hit her at all, claiming the powder would damage her voice.  He agreed to not do it but then did it anyway, aiming for her forehead so he could avoid her throat.  (His comment starts at 5:10 if the link doesn't take you right there.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Two last things from me about Funny Lady.

In this video James Caan tells how he "tricked" Barbra Streisand in one scene.  (In the movie their characters have a fight in her dressing room.  She grabs a container of powder and hits him with it, spreading powder all over his front.  He reaches down, picks up the container and holds it in front of her while she makes feeble apologies.  He then hits her in the forehead with the powder, getting it all over her face.)  In this interview he explains that she didn't want him to hit her at all, claiming the powder would damage her voice.  He agreed to not do it but then did it anyway, aiming for her forehead so he could avoid her throat.  (His comment starts at 5:10 if the link doesn't take you right there.)

Here are still shots since I can't find a video.

2feinXx.jpg

GTjcBMA.jpg

qWL1xB8.jpg

• Like 1