🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 36 — On the Line

On the Line is a tale as old as time, the love story of Turkey Sub and Hubcap. What happens when boy banders try their hand at acting? Bizarre sound effects, terrible musical performances, and lots and lots of chewing noises. Ike Barinholtz joins us to discuss a movie so shamefully bad that even its most ardent supporters hide themselves with nom de plumes. So tune into one of the 90,000 screens playing it, and while you're at it, pick up a brand new How Did This Get Made? t-shirt!

Due to the potential subject matter of this week's podcast here's a preemptive advisory for sensitive listeners.

***The views expressed by HDTGM do not necessarily reflect the opinions of their nonexistant sponsors***

ListenerAdvisorySmall.jpg

• Like 1

Due to the potential subject matter of this week's podcast here's a preemptive advisory for sensitive listeners.

***The views expressed by HDTGM do not necessarily reflect the opinions of their nonexistant sponsors***

ListenerAdvisorySmall.jpg

Sometimes their shows are sponsored by LegalZoom.com.

I'm sure if any Ned Flander types out there was so outraged by the gang's edgey comedy, they would be able to find some advice on any action they could take, if any, on LegalZoom.com. Remember to use promocode "Earwolf".

Turkey sub is now a part of my everyday vocabulary, oh thank you.

How many times has Ike seen this movie?! And then, at one point, he said: "I'm going to have to watch it again."

OnTheLineposter.jpg

Just look at the cover for this romantic comedy.... two douche-haired dudes all over each other, and the "love interest" haphazardly photoshopped into the background awkwardly like she was an afterthought. It sums up the entire movie perfectly.

• Like 1

I was going to go buy Frosted Flakes today. After listening to this, I've kind of soured on the idea.

By the way, I dont recall it being brought up in the podcast... but was that little boy's presense on the train EVER explained?? Why is Lance Bass and Joey Fatone sandwiching a random 6 year old boy on a train, who is somehow eating McDonalds and throwing down life lessons on weird girls on the train? Where is this kids parents??

Great episode. Now more than ever, isn't it time to watch "From Justin To Kelly"? It's hard to blame the stars too much since the whole thing screams "contractually obligated", but I can assure you it doesn't disappoint. If I remember correctly, this is actually a deleted scene but it still gives a pretty good idea of what to expect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1v1w0yLMw

Wonderful episode! Ike kept making me giggle with all his, "yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah"'s. He sounded like the beggin strips dog :P

As I accidentally posted in the minisode, I can't stress this enough: don't drag the great state of Oregon into this pile of shit!

HA! Made semi-watching that stinking pile of shit poo bearable! Ike seems very dedicated to the cause of crap cinema so he would make a great fill-in any time someone is otherwise occupied. So, just, great episode!

The one satisfying thing about this whole fiasco.... the two writers for this mess have not done ANYTHING in movies/tv since. In fact, for both writers Eric Aronson and Paul Stanton... this movie is their ONLY credit.

Some stills that were referenced in the ep, and some that were not:

1mcdonaldsplaya.jpg

Little Mac

2dontask.jpg

Do not ask about Stiller's ball!

3favplace.jpg

FAV place for plane throwing

4oops.jpg

Oops!

5reebok.jpg

"I'm sorry, fans"

6gameboy.jpg

Notice there's not even a game in the Gameboy

7gradpic.jpg

Grad pic!

8nuts.jpg

Oh no, not again!

• Like 2

9hitthatguy.jpg

"That's the third time I hit that guy"

10greatblocking.jpg

"So just all stand on one side, grab a Pepsi, and act natural."

11comedy.jpg

Comedy!

12rocked.jpg

She got rocked!

13frostedflakes.jpg

"Oh nothing. Just having some FROSTED FLAKES, like bros do."

14traingirl.jpg

Have YOU seen her?

15thisball.jpg

"Ok, I'll tell ya' about this ball."

16happyending.jpg

CUBS WIN!

Also : http://davesteffey.com/lisadaly/hdtgm/otl/onlytellastranger.mov

Enjoy!

• Like 1

When they started going after peope with that super crude drawing....

14traingirl.jpg

...it made me think of the artist compisite sketch of the Mobile, alabama leprechaun.

leprechaun.jpg

• Like 2

NO GAME IN THE GAMEBOY!!! Love it!

I've seen this happen a lot in movies. Then, the person holding the handheld gaming device makes it 100% clear that they've never even seen one of these things, because when they're told to "play" it, they'll just violently shake the shit out of it.

Also, wasn't the Game Boy Advance out at this point? Way to not be on the cutting edge of what's hip and cool, "On the Line"!

Any chance you can get ike back to talk about all those lousy Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer "comedies" that he's in? I mean, I know a guy's gotta eat, but those things are the worst. The "jokes" in their "Movie" movies all seem to just follow a pattern.

A) Character A wanders on screen, kind of looking or acting like that one guy from that one movie that did that one thing.

B) Character B directly references and explains the character that Character A maybe kind of looks like, saying something like "Hey, aren't you that one guy from that one movie that did that one thing?".

C) Someone gets kicked in the nuts and/or someone gets hit in the head, somebody calls someone else gay, a bad Borat impersonator pops in for no reason and says something, etc.

D) Long, awkward pause to allow the audience to recover from the gut-busting hilarity they just witnessed.

E) Repeat Steps A-D every 45 seconds.

F) Roll credits for 15 minutes to pad the film's 63-minute runtime, to the tune of a parody of the song that had a video on YouTube that was a sensation for a week 2 weeks ago.

Is that about right? Yeah, I'd love to hear Ike come back and talk about those someday.

Great episode. I was pretty baffled by this one. SO MANY PLOT THREADS for a simple romantic comedy! You've got

1. The band that broke up seven years ago; one of 'em is still hanging onto the dream, and you get the sense that Hubcap still secretly wants to get back with the band given all this random song-outbursts.

2. The Reebok account.

3. The office rival who steals his pitch idea.

4. The baseball of secrets!

5. Hubcap trying to get the girl back.

6. The douche-troupe stealing his dates.

7. Al Green.

8. The newspaper covering every aspect of Hubcap's love life.

9. The old highschool rival that tries to sabatoge Hubcap's love life.

10. THE HIGHSCHOOL RIVAL'S WIFE WHO GETS KICKED IN THE FACE AND LIKES IT!

That is faaaaaaaaar to much crap for an Nsync vehicle.

Also, Jason mentioned that loud-chewing scene when the gang is eating Frosted Flakes. Well, imagine listening to that through headphones. Yep. Not fun. Wet chewing noises blasted directly into my ear holes.

Very funny episode. I laughed so hard when they brought up the Sammy Sosa scene. That was THEE best part of the film for me.

I was surprised that I'd never heard of this movie, being the huge *NSYNC fan that I was at the time this movie came out. After viewing this movie, I see why.

I have to comment on the "whigga"/ "wigga" comment that Ian made. Not cool, bro. I just felt like it made things a little uncomfortable for a bit and it could be taken as offensive. That's just not a word to just throw out.

Oh yeah, Jason sounded like he was in studio. Good job sound engineers!

Really funny episode. Also wasn't mentioned but Lance Bass is listed as an executive producer on this film.

Sign in to follow this