Jump to content
🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 107 Preview (Cam Bert's pick)

Recommended Posts

taylorannephoto bowed out for this week so CakeBug Tranch is on the clock!

image.png.f6d64bbb5f69a0b243f987f39aee5dad.png

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

while we wait

 

He touched her breast, tenderly.

"Oi!" She shouted. "Get your own KFC bucket!"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

While we wait I would like to take a mini-poll.  If you haven't seen the movie you're considering do you try to watch it first or just go ahead and pick it?  I have several titles on my list that I want to see but am "nervous" about them being really bad.  Since I still have a couple months I was thinking of trying to start watching my top possibles.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On a related question, if you're going to join a watch party (like Kast or others), do you watch the movie ahead of time so you can discuss it more or do you wait to discover it fresh with others?  With others would be more like a real movie theater.  When The Guest was selected I disappointed (not really, I know) my watch partner because I hadn't seen it.  The partner graciously refrained from commenting so they wouldn't spoil it.  I feel like we could have had a lot of fun if I had seen it before hosting the Kast showing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I only pick stuff I haven't seen. We like bad movies, so I don't think quality is a concern! (Though I do think MM has more freedom to try to find good things)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Actually that's not true, I did pick a movie I had seen on one of my picks. But I think that was my first one, and since then I'm more interested in finding new things than I am in a rewatch of something.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

While we wait I would like to take a mini-poll.  If you haven't seen the movie you're considering do you try to watch it first or just go ahead and pick it?  I have several titles on my list that I want to see but am "nervous" about them being really bad.  Since I still have a couple months I was thinking of trying to start watching my top possibles.

The only movie I've picked that I've seen before was Rockula - but that was a special circumstance. Like @AlmostAGhost said, I'm mostly interested in watching new things, and I enjoy discovering them all with you. I don't really think you can have a "bad" pick. The only weeks that I find to be disappointing are the ones where there's not much to talk about (See: Pippin or this week's HDTGM). I like to be surprised by what generates conversation (Like The Guest). But again, I'm not so deliberate about choosing a movie for that purpose either. Sometimes we get an amazing movie, sometimes it's a bad movie that's worth discussing, and sometimes there's just not that much to talk about. It's all a part of why I enjoy doing this with you all. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

The only movie I've picked that I've seen before was Rockula - but that was a special circumstance. Like @AlmostAGhost said, I'm mostly interested in watching new things, and I enjoy discovering them all with you. I don't really think you can have a "bad" pick. The only weeks that I find to be disappointing are the ones where there's not much to talk about (See: Pippin or this week's HDTGM). I like to be surprised by what generates conversation (Like The Guest). But again, I'm not so deliberate about choosing a movie for that purpose either. Sometimes we get an amazing movie, sometimes it's a bad movie that's worth discussing, and sometimes there's just not that much to talk about. It's all a part of why I enjoy doing this with you all. 

I love that we "beat" the podcast to LLL.  It seems like we had a decent amount to discuss.  I'll have to find the thread.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I love that we "beat" the podcast to LLL.  It seems like we had a decent amount to discuss.  I'll have to find the thread.

Found it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Cinco DeNio said:

Yeah, I looked at it the other day to see if I could mine it for anything to discuss in the thread. It was basically all the same stuff. Now, if HDTGM would do Rockula, then I would be happy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

The only movie I've picked that I've seen before was Rockula - but that was a special circumstance. Like @AlmostAGhost said, I'm mostly interested in watching new things, and I enjoy discovering them all with you. I don't really think you can have a "bad" pick. The only weeks that I find to be disappointing are the ones where there's not much to talk about (See: Pippin or this week's HDTGM). I like to be surprised by what generates conversation (Like The Guest). But again, I'm not so deliberate about choosing a movie for that purpose either. Sometimes we get an amazing movie, sometimes it's a bad movie that's worth discussing, and sometimes there's just not that much to talk about. It's all a part of why I enjoy doing this with you all. 

Looks like I've done about 70% already-seen to 30% first-time.  I like the idea of only picking ones I haven't seen and will do that from now on.  Then how about the second question: If a watch party is scheduled do you watch the movie beforehand?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Looks like I've done about 70% already-seen to 30% first-time.  I like the idea of only picking ones I haven't seen and will do that from now on.  Then how about the second question: If a watch party is scheduled do you watch the movie beforehand?

Some I have and some I haven’t, but I never go out of my way to watch them first. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ya I wouldn't go out of my way to prepare for a watch party.

I skipped this week's MM because I hit play and I was like pretty immediately 'I don't think this is my thing' -- I'm not sure if that was in general or just my mood that night.

Also skipped this week's HDGTM because I was watching Shakespeare films at my own schedule, and didn't feel like breaking from it. Though it's been a minute, I should get back to it.

But generally I'm glad for anything. If I don't watch something, it's not because of the choice of film. So feel free to go wide and far (or even popular and classics) to make picks!

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Looks like I've done about 70% already-seen to 30% first-time.  I like the idea of only picking ones I haven't seen and will do that from now on.  Then how about the second question: If a watch party is scheduled do you watch the movie beforehand?

As the person who was your Guest watch partner, I didn’t mind that you hadn’t seen it because I hadn’t watched it in a couple years, so I was happy to comment occasionally but also just watch it. If the movie is goofy enough, comments will come and that’s fine.if the movie is terrible and I hadn’t seen it before, I doubt that I would want to watch it again, so watching on Kast could be fun in that way,,too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I have seen most of mine before picking it but it's normally been many years. I don't necessarily mind picking a bad movie but I don't want to pick something that is a chore to sit through. There is one I happened to watch the day before my turn to pick and thought, "well, that's sorted."

I definitely don't watch before the watch party. Some of those I happened to have seen before but not in preparation (unless we're counting testing our equipment when hosting. Then I'll watch a few minutes).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

But generally I'm glad for anything. If I don't watch something, it's not because of the choice of film. So feel free to go wide and far (or even popular and classics) to make picks!

Yeah, I think I was talking to Cinco about this once. I think seeing what people pick is interesting and I don't want people to feel limited in what they'll pick.

I skip weeks sometimes and it's not necessarily a reflection on the choice. I just didn't get around to it for whatever reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah, I think I was talking to Cinco about this once. I think seeing what people pick is interesting and I don't want people to feel limited in what they'll pick.

I skip weeks sometimes and it's not necessarily a reflection on the choice. I just didn't get around to it for whatever reason.

I was actually having trouble keeping up with movie watching for a while. What helped me was when Season 2 of Unspooled began, I stopped trying to watch the movies. It was feeling like too much to keep up with (especially when there were other movies I wanted to see), and the new season didn’t feel as essential as the AFI list. So, while I was bummed they didn’t stick with watching great films lists, it freed up a lot of my own time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I was actually having trouble keeping up with movie watching for a while. What helped me was when Season 2 of Unspooled began, I stopped trying to watch the movies. It was feeling like too much to keep up with (especially when there were other movies I wanted to see), and the new season didn’t feel as essential as the AFI list. So, while I was bummed they didn’t stick with watching great films lists, it freed up a lot of my own time.

I’m entertained by Unspooled, but the whole concept of “the essential movie list” is pretty tired to me. I agree with Unspooled’s outlook that the AFI list was/is dated, but I wish they weren’t so focused on replacing it with ANOTHER list because lists are essentially bullshit. Just find good movies in all genres to discuss. Trying to rank them in terms of cultural relevance has always seemed weird to me, because film is too subjective to work that way.

that’s my opinion at least!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, everyone.  I admit these are all my personal concerns because I think about this stuff WAY too much.  I greatly appreciate everyone's responses.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

×