🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 54 — The Odd Life of Timothy Green

FRANK ZAPPA DIDNT DO DRUGS. He was completely clean, no alcohol or anything. The music nerd in me felt the need to shout that somewhere.

He did offer his kids beer, though:

https://twitter.com/...293706025508864

Hehehe. That sounds like Zappa humor. Shit my dad says could be infinitely improved by adding Frank Zappa quotes via Ahmet/Dweezil/Diva/Moon Unit.

And to agree with the other people, Frank didn't do "drugs." He kicked people out of his band for recreational use, and he only ever drank coffee and smoke cigarettes. Tweaked? No. Very strange? Yes.

To tie this back in with the movie, Zappa had some pretty unconventional parenting techniques, and his kids seem to be fairly well adjusted people. I wonder what Ahmet's or his siblings view of parenting is like.

P.S. Sorry Jason, but this movie does suck and June is 100% gold on this. It seemed to me that Jason and Tim were both saying, "Well, if you just have really low expectations for this film it's actually pretty good for what it is."

• Like 1

I am CRYING right now listening to Tim Heidecker & Neil Hmaburger's ON Cinema podcast. The Saving Private Ryan & Easy Rider episodes have me in tears

Oh, I forgot... I loved, LOVED the DRAMA movie "Flight", the acting was top notch (I enjoyed Kelly Reilly 's performance, I forgot she was from England ), It reminded me of "Requiem For A Dream".

Just compare the endings and you have to realise how much better Requiem for a dream is.

• Like 1

Just compare the endings and you have to realise how much better Requiem for a dream is.

Yes you 100% are right ("Requiem for a dream" is in my favourite movie list along with the "Back to the future" trilogy I've only seen "Flight" once and I loved it that time)

I didn't want to get into to the endings, the reason for that is that when I recommend movies I just say "I loved it" , "I liked it a lot" or "I didn't liked it" because I found out in my experiences that when somebody says "That movie sucks" or "That movie is very good" it raises or lowers expectations, and sometimes it makes you not wanna go see the movie altogether or you get into discussions with your friends or co-workers because they said it sucks and you actually got the film and found it to be excellent

Tim said that he flipped off the screen at the theater (I blame the trailer and the marketing of the film), maybe that causes some people skip the movie because they trust his opinion, and maybe some will see it out of curiosity, but I want to see the movie again with friends adn/or family so I can get into the little details and hear their opinions... I liked what Paul said about the first 20 minutes and the last 15... that's the abridged version

Bottom line, Personally I don't want to tell you what to think about a movie before you experience it, the chances are if you ask me about a movie my responses will be "Go see it" or "I have it, I'll lend it to you and you tell me what you think"

• Like 2

Hey HDTGM, longtime listener, first-time poster. So, I guess I'm the black sheep of your listening audience. This will be my least favorite out of all the episodes. I was with you all in expecting the kid to turn into a tree; maybe like the one in Eddie Murphy's A Thousand Words. Hey maybe this is a prequel to Eddie's movie. Eddie Murphy is another crappy parent being schooled by a tree. Anyway, I hope your serious discussions are few and far between. I can get serious discussions about movies from too many places. I can only get skillfully comedic reviews from a few; and your podcast takes the number 1 spot. Fortunately, I have the reviews of Battlefield Earth and Skyline to get me by until the next episode. Thanks for all your good work.

I agree completely. This was a serious - and BORING - discussion about a really terrible movie. I can only assume this whole episode was a joke played on the audience, in true Tim & Eric style.

Please, stick to making fun of movies, not praising them. This episode was boring and missed a lot of opportunities to make fun of some absolutely insane stuff that filled this movie.

@Maximiliano I understand. It is the same reason why I tend to ignore trailers, as they are often misleading or giving away too much of the plot and I end up seeing the film with false expectations.

I saw this movie with my 8 year old son at the cinema. He called it a "mixed up" movie that he never wanted to see again. I have to agree even though I like failed movies with this much heart. This movie seemed focus grouped to death but there is some heart in it.

Correction/ommission:

How, how, HOW (how how how) did everyone in this episode neglect to mention that this movie was basically just a Disney-fried version of Jan Svankmajer's far superior film Little Otik?

If those youtube kids had seen the ending to that one instead, they wouldn't be sobbing, they'd be struck mute and their hair would have turned shock white.

How, how, HOW (how how how) did everyone in this episode neglect to mention that this movie was basically just a Disney-fried version of Jan Svankmajer's far superior film Little Otik?

I'm gonna go out on a half-human-half-tree limb and say that it's because none of them have ever heard of that.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go out on a half-human-half-tree limb and say that it's because none of them have ever heard of that.

When I heard Heidecker was the guest I just sort of assumed he would take up at least half the episode making that comparison.

ugh oh god I just watched the trailer for Little Otik and read the wiki synopsis and I feel super ill :wacko:

• Like 1

I enjoyed this episode's more serious tone as a change of pace to the usual more comedic episodes. Now, I much prefer the style of the regular episodes but it was an interesting contrast to hear the guys debate the movie seriously. By a weird coincidence the "Flop House" podcast also covered this movie recently but they weren't won over by Timothy Green's 'whimsical' charms... http://www.flophouse...othy-green.html

I really love the idea of this show and I like the people on it but I just can't get over the interrupting.

what do you mean by interrupting? the commercials, because there is a app for that, you can download if you've got a smart phone. called downcast. it lets you fly by commercials in a one button swipe.

what do you mean by interrupting? the commercials, because there is a app for that, you can download if you've got a smart phone. called downcast. it lets you fly by commercials in a one button swipe.

Nah, just the talking over each other. I feel like they aren't completing their sentences. Everyone has so much to talk about that they can't wait for others to finish. You can hear in Tim's voice the frustration when the cast talks over him a few times.

Nah, just the talking over each other. I feel like they aren't completing their sentences. Everyone has so much to talk about that they can't wait for others to finish. You can hear in Tim's voice the frustration when the cast talks over him a few times.

If that is something you find frustrating than I'm going to go ahead and say the show probably isn't for you. Because there's a whole lot of that. And this episode is probably one of the least egregious in that regard.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this