🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 1 - A Denny's Parking Lot

Welcome all in podcasting land to Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins! Paul chats with his special guest Busy Philipps (Cougar Town, Thrilling Adventure Hour) about her favorite snack as a latchkey kid in Arizona. Then, special guests Craig Cackowski, Matt Gourley and Janet Varney join Paul to improvise a narrative inspired by Paul & Busy’s chat set in a Denny’s Parking Lot with the great Eban Schletter on piano. There will be love, suspense, and people who live in dumpsters!

• Like 1

It's here! I'm so glad this is a thing now, sounds like an amazing first episode... Jumping in now!

Paul asked on Twitter what fans of this podcast should be called. My suggestion is "Spontanentities"

Fans of the show should be called SPONTUNERS, because it's fun to say, it sounds like 'spontoon' which is a pole-arm weapon with multiple blades (symbolic of CUTTING EDGE comedy), it has 'spont' in it, we tune in to the podcast, and it's not nearly as unwieldy as something closer to the podcast's name, like Spontaneanationals or some such.

Or, if SPONTUNERS doesn't quite work, abstract it by one more level and make it SPONTANUNERS so it makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 4

Spont-seurs?

edit: "Rumpledumpskin?!" :lol:

• Like 3

Johnny-On-The-Sponts, clearly.

Also, which Denny's menu item uses acne pads? I'm guessing one of those 'Hobbit' tie-in meals.

• Like 2

This was (unsurprisingly) great. I loved hearing Janet Varney's PFT-esque background laughs at the start

• Like 9

This wasn't that good, I didn't laugh once.

APRIL FOOLS DAY PRANK!

It was very good. I laughed more than once. Fans should be referred to as "The Nation of Is Fan"

• Like 4

April Fool's Day? More like April Fool's Gold Day, because this is Gold and you'd have to be a fool to think otherwise. HOTCHA! WHAT A SHOW! CANT WAIT FOR MORE EPPIES!

As far as the fandom's name goes, I vote foooooooooooooor Spontanimals.

• Like 2

IMG_0991.jpg

OMG yes Janet Varney is my favorite! She is so funny and amazing and qt

• Like 7

Also Busy's kids names are Birdie and Cricket?! Wow!

That's Hollywood for ya'. (more like Holly-Weird if you ask me)

• Like 6

Who controls the transition sound effects? Is Schletter just sticking them in when he thinks is appropriate? or does PFT have control?

or does someone just call out "Flashback too" or "cut too" and they put the sound effect over that in post?

There's been a mixup at the cookie factory! Oops! All hair!

God, this was great.

Need more Janet Varney around these Earwolf parts.

• Like 2

I have a sneaking suspicion that Santa Claus owns a Denny's during the off season. BUT I HAVE NO PROOF.

• Like 2

Man, I was working really hard on keeping my expectations from getting too big, telling myself "I know you miss the Tompkast, but this is a very different format, and while anything made by PFT is going to be gold it isn't necessarily going to fill that Tompkast shaped hole in your heart. Then that opening monologue kicked in, and it's EXACTLY what I missed so much from that show--we get a LOT of PFT in the podcasting world, but none of it quite compared to that off-the-cuff, perfectly-paced ramble (and it makes it even more perfect to have Eban there Schlettering about in the background).

It feels like coming home.

Now to listen to the rest of the ep!

• Like 12

It also made my heart skip a beat when Eban snuck half a motif from the PFT fanfare into his pianistic noodling...

SPONTANEANATION makes me want a 24 hour live stream of just PFT chit-chatting and goofing off with his Good Buddies. If not, I will settle for this podcast being around forever. Thanks!

• Like 4

I'm always amazed by the odd references Paul pulls out of nowhere. Seriously had a Temple Grandin in the chamber? XD