🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cameron H.

HDTGM Classics vol 1 Burlesque

Okay, I have REAL questions about the club. Because I recall Christina going DOWN a flight of stairs to see the show when she first shows up. So I thought the club was a basement club. But Cher's office had a LOT of windows. So I was like "what are these windows opening up to? Dirt?" But then later there is a windy staircase up to Cher's office. But also there is a staircase down from the dressing room.

But then when Alice first meets Alan Cumming, he tells her "We may not have windows, but we do have the best view on Sunset Strip." I guess Cher's office windows are purely decorative???

And I think Jack looks like a bobo Peter Dinklage. I think it's the eyes.

7slFpDt.png

• Like 3

Okay, I have REAL questions about the club. Because I recall Christina going DOWN a flight of stairs to see the show when she first shows up. So I thought the club was a basement club. But Cher's office had a LOT of windows. So I was like "what are these windows opening up to? Dirt?" But then later there is a windy staircase up to Cher's office. But also there is a staircase down from the dressing room.

There's also a large staircase outside where Xtina saw the first dancer whom I assume was hanging out backstage? Like having a smoke break? So maybe the stage itself is in the basement and they build up to the 2nd floor (because there are balcony seats) and then back stage goes up two stories?

• Like 3

There's also a large staircase outside where Xtina saw the first dancer whom I assume was hanging out backstage? Like having a smoke break? So maybe the stage itself is in the basement and they build up to the 2nd floor (because there are balcony seats) and then back stage goes up two stories?

There are balcony seats? wow

ut then when Alice first meets Alan Cumming, he tells her "We may not have windows, but we do have the best view on Sunset Strip." I guess Cher's office windows are purely decorative???

There are windows everywhere. The BAR has windows that are apparently part of the stage because Christina sings there. So I think those are decorative too.

• Like 4

Clearly, you guys don't get burlesque...

Maybe the song at the end (How Do You Burlesque) is a question about how you get to your seats? You come in, pay, go down the stairs to the bar, and then you go up two flights to your balcony seating which is now higher than the street you came in off of, to watch girls singing in the basement.

• Like 7

Did Alan Cummings play the Emcee before or after Burlesque? Do you think one lead to the other?

• Like 4

Did Alan Cummings play the Emcee before or after Burlesque? Do you think one lead to the other?

I am positive before. (I only know this because he was doing it before X2--I relate everything back to comic book movies.) I just looked it up and Wikipedia says he first did it in 1993. And then moved to the US around 1998.

And despite the fact that this movie feels very early 2000s to me, it was released in 2010.

• Like 4

Found a Cher interview from 2013 that mentions Burlesque.

"It could have been a much better film. It was always sad that it was not a good film," she says, pinning the blame on its writer/director, Steve Antin. "Terrible director! Really terrible director. And really terrible script. I remember him saying to me, I don't care about what you say, I just want to shoot the dance numbers. Had it been shorter, it would have squeaked by and been a really good popcorn movie."
  • Like 3

Found a Cher interview from 2013 that mentions Burlesque.

Cher comes off awfully Trump-like in that quote. Not just because she repeatedly uses the word "terrible", but because she throws someone inconsequential under the bus (Steve Antin never directed again).

Steve-Antin-1.jpg

• Like 4

Is everyone cool to do this next Friday? Are you all still interested? Are we doing Old Dogs?

• Like 1

I'm down for any movie, but can we please start an hour early?

Yeah, I think we were talking about doing it at 9PM EST

If next Friday means August 4, I'm out because of work. Don't feel obligated to change it just to suit me.

• Like 2

I'm totally in for Monster Trucks. Out for Old Dogs though. Life's too short to see that thing three times.

• Like 1

I mean...I can make Monster Trucks happen. You guys decide. :)

• Like 1

No. I meant the 11th

Actually, if it's the 11th I'm in regardless. My wife is in Las Vegas for her 40th so I'm home alone and that will be a good distraction.

Would like to start agitating now to not do Old Dogs. Or is the plan to go through chronologically? If so, the next one is Season of the Witch, but I'm not sure if that episode is available. Or, are we only watching old ones that we can then re-listen to the episode of?

Is a vote a good plan?

I like the idea of Monster Trucks but that seems a little off-message for only our second 'classic'...

I'm a solid maybe. I may have to teach a class that night but they cancelled the last one so it might not be happening. I could always pop in late too, depends on how bad traffic is in my area.

• Like 3

Wait, I was kidding about Monster Trucks.

I haven't seen Old Dogs yet, but I also haven't seen Sucker Punch, Mac & Me, Gigli, I know Who Killed Me, Leprechaun in the Hood (although I own this) - these episodes are not behind the paywall.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this