🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cameron H.

HDTGM Classics vol 1 Burlesque

And the final song (How Do You Burlesque) seems to suggest that it is whatever you make it.

I kind of like the open-endedness of this, though.

"I ate mint chocolate chip ice cream for lunch today."

#thisishowiburlesque

• Like 3

It's Old Dogs for me, but we should get confirmation from Sarak's itunes.

Har har. But actually today for some reason it's back to normal, so Old Dogs is up for me. No guarantees about the future, but I won't panic next time :)

• Like 2

I'm very scared of OLD DOGS. I don't want to remember Robin Williams that way. Ha ha.

I have no idea how to define Burlesque from this movie. It just seems to be singing, except when Kristen Bell is doing it.

I listened to the episode again. I think it was June was asking why we spent so long with the wedding DJ and Tucci. I have a theory, actually. When he and Cher were dancing at the wedding I thought, "It'd be interesting if it turned out Tucci was in love with her, and that was the meaning of the don't make the same mistakes I did. She married the dude with money (I think?) and missed the possibly gay guy who was her friend."

And since I think we're all in agreement that Cher and Tucci had more chemistry than Christina and Bobo. I think they had to go back and be like, "No, really guys, he's gay." Maybe?

• Like 3

I think I've solved this movie. The writer & director is Steve Antin, brother of Robin Antin, who founded The Pussycat Dolls. As Cakebug mentioned, Xtina once performed with TPD as well.

In addition, check out Alan's blog post from the set of Burlesque. He says that his big number was eventually cut from the film.

• Like 5

Cam, how was the craft beer thing and do you think watching Burlesque before going had any effect on your experience?

Cam probably hit this stuff hard last night.

raisin_draught.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Cam probably hit this stuff hard last night.

raisin_draught.jpg

Okay I have a gluten intolerance and can't drink a lot of beer, but even I know this is wrong.

• Like 4

You know what, if this had been directed by a woman I bet it would have been 100% better. I just have that feeling.

• Like 6

Cam, how was the craft beer thing and do you think watching Burlesque before going had any effect on your experience?

I craft beer thing was a fairly positive overall. Some of my favourites weren't there this year but one booth did have a series of fruit beers. I had a banana, orange, pineapple and shikuwasa beer. Thank god there was no raisin beer because raisins are disgusting abomination, right? Boo raisins boo. Oh the plus side I ended up randomly meeting a girl there and we're going on a date soon.

If I had to judge how Burlesque effected my experience it's hard to say. I think the more I drank the more I began to understand what burlesque was and then the more I kept drinking the more I wondered is this how I burlesque.

• Like 4

Oh the plus side I ended up randomly meeting a girl there and we're going on a date soon.

PLEASE tell us you wooed her by exiting the room several times and re-entering in different kinds of pyjamas, before re-entering and covering your junk with a box of cookies. If your date was thanks to Burlesque, then love has won today.

• Like 5

PLEASE tell us you wooed her by exiting the room several times and re-entering in different kinds of pyjamas, before re-entering and covering your junk with a box of cookies. If your date was thanks to Burlesque, then love has won today.

Well we started talking and at first she thought I was gay because I did have my eyeliner on. Then she told me her place was recently broken into so then I forced her to come back and stay at my place. I woke up to her making coffee this morning as I lingered too long on her figure.

• Like 4

Well we started talking and at first she thought I was gay because I did have my eyeliner on. Then she told me her place was recently broken into so then I forced her to come back and stay at my place. I woke up to her making coffee this morning as I lingered too long on her figure.

This wasn't the old huge-rainstorm-tries-to-leave-bodily-hauling-her-back-into-your-apartment-even-though-she-keeps-saying-no thing was it? That one gets 'em every time.

• Like 3

Also CamBert: you are going to be SO BUSTED when your fiancee gets home from filming Glee.

• Like 3

I craft beer thing was a fairly positive overall. Some of my favourites weren't there this year but one booth did have a series of fruit beers. I had a banana, orange, pineapple and shikuwasa beer. Thank god there was no raisin beer because raisins are disgusting abomination, right? Boo raisins boo. Oh the plus side I ended up randomly meeting a girl there and we're going on a date soon.

If I had to judge how Burlesque effected my experience it's hard to say. I think the more I drank the more I began to understand what burlesque was and then the more I kept drinking the more I wondered is this how I burlesque.

I swear to God, if Burlesque somehow becomes entwined in the narrative of how you meet your future wife, it will make me the happiest fucking burlesquer that ever burlesqued.

Dibs on best man!

• Like 2

You know what, if this had been directed by a woman I bet it would have been 100% better. I just have that feeling.

Is this because a woman wouldn't have felt the need to have lengthy shots ogling Christina Aguilera? Even though the movie has an intended audience of women who probably don't have much need or desire to ogle Christina Aguilera?

• Like 3

Is this because a woman wouldn't have felt the need to have lengthy shots ogling Christina Aguilera? Even though the movie has an intended audience of women who probably don't have much need or desire to ogle Christina Aguilera?

There were a lot of shots of Christina where I thought she looked terrible, and she's quite pretty. And they dressed her in like leopard print and stuff. I thought she looked pretty cheap.

I went to the IMDb and saw Cher, Christina, and even Kristen Bell each had their own makeup artist. I bet they brought them from like stage shows, and that's why they are so heavily made up.

• Like 5

Is Cam Bert's wedding going to be potluck? I can bring raisin coleslaw and a box of cookies.

• Like 5

There were a lot of shots of Christina where I thought she looked terrible, and she's quite pretty. And they dressed her in like leopard print and stuff. I thought she looked pretty cheap.

I went to the IMDb and saw Cher, Christina, and even Kristen Bell each had their own makeup artist. I bet they brought them from like stage shows, and that's why they are so heavily made up.

You're right. The scene that really stuck out to me, and Jason mentions in the podcast, is Cher teaching Christina Aguilera how to put on makeup. This is supposed to be some revelatory scene but I'm sure Christina has never looked worse in her entire life. It's laughably bad. I assumed, at the time, the makeup artist was using stage makeup meant to be visible from the back of the house but looks bad in close-up. So, it kind of made sense to me but a female director might have said "Can we not make this naturally beautiful woman look hideous in a scene about applying makeup properly?"

• Like 4

Did anyone else find it weird that you had to go up a flight of stairs to enter the club, but then once inside the building, you had to go down a flight of stairs to get to the performance area?

In addition, I thought this was a hilarious typo.

l8JpmUh.png?1

What she said was mutant lungs.

• Like 7

Did anyone else find it weird that you had to go up a flight of stairs to enter the club, but then once inside the building, you had to go down a flight of stairs to get to the performance area?

In addition, I thought this was a hilarious typo.

l8JpmUh.png?1

What she said was mutant lungs.

I remember that too! My first thought was, "hey, KBell, bad form body-shaming the girl with fake boobs." Mutant lungs is a straight up terrible line though.

• Like 3

Okay, I have REAL questions about the club. Because I recall Christina going DOWN a flight of stairs to see the show when she first shows up. So I thought the club was a basement club. But Cher's office had a LOT of windows. So I was like "what are these windows opening up to? Dirt?" But then later there is a windy staircase up to Cher's office. But also there is a staircase down from the dressing room.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this