This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 03 August 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

That was what I went with, too.

Cameron's just a loose cannon that plays by his own rules.

Honestly, I don't even want Pete's Dragon or American Tale to be as low as they are. I really don't want anything to be at the bottom at all. I loved watching all of these.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#122 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostCameron H., on 03 August 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Honestly, I don't even want Pete's Dragon or American Tale to be as low as they are. I really don't want anything to be at the bottom at all. I loved watching all of these.

YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL, CAMERON!
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#123 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 03 August 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL, CAMERON!

Posted Image
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#124 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

Loose Cannons -- the Gene Hackman/Dan Aykroyd vehicle -- would be a good HDTGM episode.

/tangent

#125 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 01 August 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

Sorry, y'all! Yesterday ended up being busier than I had thought it would be, so I'm just getting a chance to give my take.

I also really the movie thematically. Smoczynska has said that she views the mermaids as standing in for (among other things) immigrants. But surely they can represent any exploited group. When the mermaids show up on the beach, everyone's first thought is how to make money off of them. No one (not even Mietek) makes any attempt to humanize them or treat them as anything other than something to exploit - either financially or sexually.

So the sisters are left with the choice of either humanizing/integrating themselves like Silver tries to do or just not really giving a shit and continuing to do their own thing like Golden does. Silver sacrifices her tail, her voice, and ultimately herself to try to fit into this society where no one has really welcomed her. Even the guy that supposedly loves her tells her that she's just an animal in his eyes.

But Golden just keeps doing her thing. She doesn't try to change into anything different just to appease the people who are exploiting her. And in the end, that's why she survives. I think it's important that she killed Mietek in the end - not as a way of avenging her sister - but as a way of taking control over the people who have been taking advantage of the sisters for the entire movie.

If I remember correctly Triton first tells Golden that if someone fall in love with a human (Bobo Peter in this case) and that human marries someone else if the mermaid in question does not eat him then she would become foam and die. At first I thought/felt there was like a Love triangle brewing between the 2 sisters and the bass player (I first noticed it at the end of the clothes store shopping spree song) Like he choose Silver and Golden got jealous and started to try to make them,break up (both for her sel"fish"ness and to look out for her sister) But my theory was that Golden was (a little bit) in love with bass dude as well, so at the end it was a revenge for Silver's bubbly demise and to save herself (Again, that was the theory I had in my head as I watched... The minority/immigrants/foreign angle works better)

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 01 August 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Okay I finally got to watch it. I expected more man eating.

I counted 4 men eaten and one thumb (One in the car, two in the bank, and Bass Guy, and the thumb of older man drummer) My version was 1hour32mins there was another version wich I did not see that was 1hour28mins (It could be a 4min cut or a NTSC/PAL time difference)

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 02 August 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Okay here's my actual take on the movie now that I've had some time to sit on it.

It was both exactly what I expected and not at all what I expected at the same time. I think I would have liked it more if it didn't rely on the Little Mermaid story so much like others have mentioned. I really expected it to be this slasher musical flick that had a ton of girls eating flesh (has anyone seen Raw yet? I've heard that is amazing) and hiding the fact that they are actually monsters using their music to lure victims. But really we only see like three instances of murder with little pay off and that felt really disappointing. I didn't give a SHIT about Silver's love for Bobo!Bieber and I really just wanted murder.

I saw Raw It's a must see... (I won't go into details so you go in as clean as possible)

View PostFister Roboto, on 02 August 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

I was busy trying to think up names for that body part.

Fingina maybe?

Did anybody think that the Drumer and Club Owner Guy made a "joke" about the Fingina smelling like fish at the end of that scene??? Because the scene after the title the owner goes around the backstage, the kitchen, the dressing rooms pretty pissed off about the smell but then when he is shown that they are mermaids and sees their Finginas he shrugs it off and says he does not mind?

#126 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

My notes...

* The names of bands in this movie (Figs 'n' Dates, Ballad & Romance) made me want to start a band named "Netflix and Chill"

* Just before the club owner guy opens the door discovers the mermaid sisters in the dressing room in the wall a the left of/outside the door there are a LOT of posters for the Trio Band "Figs 'n' Dates" (Older Lady, Bassist, Drummer) Now that I know that the movie is set in the '80 my guess is that some of those posters can be as old as 10/15 years (so late '60 early '70. Its not a NEW band) One theory I had is that after the Mermaids came out of the water with the help of the two men in the band, The washed out band (Figs 'n' Dates) got back in the music game with a steady gig at the night club. This is supported by the fact that the patrons and staff of said nightclub (exept maybe the owner) are almost (unconsciously? uncontrolablly? maybe?) choreographed dancing to the beat of the mermaid song or to the "NEW" sound of "F&D" The other part of the theory is that they where struggling hard, they were homeless, heating their sausages/food out of trashcan fires and being street musicians by the shore... And they teamed up with the mermaid sisters for their second shot at fame (Something told me that they where BIG big some time ago, then went away and were forgotten. I cant believe they were consistently/constantly famous for over a decade just by doing nightclub gigs) ... That was my theory

* If the band Aqua had a dissclaimer for the "Barbie Girl" song saying that it was not about the Mattel doll, does the scene where the drummer shows the mermaids naked to the owner need a disclaimer as well or it gets a pass because is "a joke"???

* In the photo shoot scene (where the mermaids had bunny ears) all I could think of was the centerfold for that issue would surely be twice or even 3 times longer than a standard one and would be a hassle to fold in and out ;)

* This movie is from Janus Films (La Jetee, The Red Balloon amongst many MANY other classics) I went to their website and found this...

https://s3.amazonaws...17_original.pdf

* A while ago I saw a Pro-Envirnment/action/Rom-Com from China called "The Mermaid/Mei ren yu" (2016)
I liked it a LOT its from Stephen Chow, the same guy who directed "Kung Fu Hustle" (2004) and since we are in the suject of mermaids I figured it was a good time to recomend it. Here is the trailer...

* My favourite cameo/underused character was the (main?) female cook Mrs. Rockets... I would not mind seeing a movie about her story with her as the main character

P.S.: Other notes that I had were similar to what was written in the 7 pages before so I did not post them, but I liked a bunch of your posts :D

#127 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

View PostGood times2the Max!miliano, on 03 August 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

* A while ago I saw a Pro-Envirnment/action/Rom-Com from China called "The Mermaid/Mei ren yu" (2016)
I liked it a LOT its from Stephen Chow, the same guy who directed "Kung Fu Hustle" (2004) and since we are in the suject of mermaids I figured it was a good time to recomend it. Here is the trailer...

This has been on my list since I heard about it last year. I think it was on Amazon Prime for a while (or maybe Fandor or something?), but when I finally decided to watch it, it was gone. But I'm glad to hear it's really good! I'll have to remember to check it out next time I'm at the video store.

#128 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

View PostGood times2the Max!miliano, on 03 August 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

I counted 4 men eaten and one thumb (One in the car, two in the bank, and Bass Guy, and the thumb of older man drummer) My version was 1hour32mins there was another version wich I did not see that was 1hour28mins (It could be a 4min cut or a NTSC/PAL time difference)

I think Golden ate the cop too. I still expected more, though lol.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#129 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 04 August 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

Here's what I wanted: full, joyous musical number (like the shopping scene) where the mermaid's tear and eat a bunch of people. A bright and beautiful bloodbath :)
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#130 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 04 August 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

i thought I remembered the cop at the wedding? Or am I being Polish-blind?
Mark: "But I thought we are all orpans." Deep Down inside, we all are, Miami Connection

Dorothy Shaw: "I like a man who can run faster than I can." Choosy, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#131 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 04 August 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

i thought I remembered the cop at the wedding? Or am I being Polish-blind?

The cop was on TV after her "date" with Golden as well.

#132 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

View PostCameron H., on 04 August 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Here's what I wanted: full, joyous musical number (like the shopping scene) where the mermaid's tear and eat a bunch of people. A bright and beautiful bloodbath :)

So more like Repo! ? ;)

#133 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 04 August 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

The cop was on TV after her "date" with Golden as well.

Huh I thought Golden went for her throat before they cut away to a new scene. That's the main problem I have with all the "killings" is that you really don't see much that you would think you would see. Like in the car it's a wide shot before you see blood everywhere on the windows. When Golden and Silver attack together you don't see anything until afterwards when they're munching on organs. Even with Bobo Peter they cut away right as she's chomping into his neck.

I know it's probably a budget thing and they had a lot of effects done with the tails, but still I was really expecting to see some gore here lol.

And I hate gore! Why did I even want that???
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#134 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 04 August 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Huh I thought Golden went for her throat before they cut away to a new scene. That's the main problem I have with all the "killings" is that you really don't see much that you would think you would see. Like in the car it's a wide shot before you see blood everywhere on the windows. When Golden and Silver attack together you don't see anything until afterwards when they're munching on organs. Even with Bobo Peter they cut away right as she's chomping into his neck.

Golden moves towards her neck, and the cop points a gun at her head.

And, yeah, then she's on tv a scene or two later.

#135 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostGood times2the Max!miliano, on 04 August 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

So more like Repo! ? ;)

If any movie could use some direct-to-camera expositional talk-singing, I think it's The Lure. I think I would have enjoyed Golden and Silver telling us how delicious the man-flesh they just ate was. Plus it would clarify their body count for us!
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#136 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Who here thought Silver looked like Alison Pill a little bit??? (I did!)

Posted ImagePosted Image

P.S.: When I saw "Monster Trucks" I kept thinking Lucas Till has to be related to John Cena (Like a son or a baby brother lol), and started calling him mini-John Cena or John Chin-A ('Cuz of Lucas Till's Chin)

Posted ImagePosted Image

#137 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thanks, Fister, for sharing The Lure with us. I can honestly say, I never would have watched this on my own, but I'm glad I did :)
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#138 Society Max

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

Thank You Fister! for me "The Lure" is one movie that you grow to love the more and more you watch it... Great pick!

View PostCameron H., on 06 August 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Thanks, Cameron H, for sharing "Monster Trucks" with us. I can honestly say, I never would have watched this on my own, but I'm SOOOOO glad I did :) :D

fify ;)

#139 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Agreed - although The Lure had some issues, I'm glad I've watched it.

Looking forward to Cameron H's week as well. Not necessarily for the pick itself, but more so that he will have posted it hours before I even wake up on Monday.

#140 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

View PostCameron H., on 06 August 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Thanks, Fister, for sharing The Lure with us. I can honestly say, I never would have watched this on my own, but I'm glad I did :)

View Posttomspanks, on 06 August 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Agreed - although The Lure had some issues, I'm glad I've watched it.

Looking forward to Cameron H's week as well. Not necessarily for the pick itself, but more so that he will have posted it hours before I even wake up on Monday.

My thought's exactly!
Posted Image
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel