🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure

I would think when he saw that horrible cut around her waist, he would have looked disgusted or stopped her or something. But maybe he was too blinded by lust.

Probably, but I think that wouldn't have been as dramatic visually. Also, I think the idea is that he's trying to look past it, but can't.

Ultimately, I think the movie is making a statement about true love versus superficiality and infatuation. She wants to be with him - despite the fact he's a huge asshat who thinks she's gross - and he wants to be with her even though he's not attracted to her at all. I'm not 100% I ever got (or caught ) why he suddenly wants to be with her, but I assume it has something to do with him hitching himself to her rising star? Regardless, they are playing pretend love. True love wouldn't have required her to change for him, nor would it have mattered if she had gaping festering wounds that constantly bled. Unfortunately, she never really realizes that her feelings for him are unhealthy which is why she returns to foam at the end instead of ripping that motherfucker's throat straight out.

• Like 7

Probably, but I think that wouldn't have been as dramatic visually. Also, I think the idea is that he's trying to look past it, but can't.

Ultimately, I think the movie is making a statement about true love versus superficiality and infatuation. She wants to be with him - despite the fact he's a huge asshat who thinks she's gross - and he wants to be with her even though he's not attracted to her at all. I'm not 100% I ever got (or caught ) why he suddenly wants to be with her, but I assume it has something to do with him hitching himself to her rising star? Regardless, they are playing pretend love. True love wouldn't have required her to change for him, nor would it have mattered if she had gaping festering wounds that constantly bled. Unfortunately, she never really realizes that her feelings for him are unhealthy which is why she returns to foam at the end instead of ripping that motherfucker's throat straight out.

I agree with everything--except I do think he was attracted to her but he couldn't get over the fish/animal/ having a tail "thing".

• Like 3

Question: if you all were going to write a Musical about a mythological creature, what creature would you choose? I would choose a Shirime.

They have eyeballs in their butts...

shirime.png

• Like 3

Question: if you all were going to write a Musical about a mythological creature, what creature would you choose? I would choose a Shirime.

They have eyeballs in their butts...

shirime.png

I was going to ask what mythical creature you guys would bone. I'll just assume your answer for that question is a shirime as well.

• Like 4

I was going to ask what mythical creature you guys would bone. I'll just assume your answer for that question is a shirime as well.

*wink*

• Like 6

So I just finished watching The Lure. Now I need something lighthearted and palate-cleansing. I think I'll watch Chopping Mall.

(Seriously, will read the thread and comment tomorrow. WOW. What a movie.)

• Like 5

My reaction when they were showing off the sisters' human form: where does the butt start?

• Like 8

I couldn't watch The Lure last night because of 3 things...

1. I fell asleep

2. I woke up at 3am and "got" up to date with G.o.T. :) #notsorry

(And most importantly...) 3. I watched Cameron H.'s best film of the year "Monster-ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE-Trucks" (Yes I said it!)

THIS IS NOT A JOKE #100realandtrue

Cameron H. let me publicly say to you that I'm deeply sorry if any of my thoughts, actions, and previous posts seemed to convey that I was a "Monster Trucks" NON believer that was just a nasty side-effect from the UNFAIR review cicle this EPIC GEM recieved in the media and Internet (PLUS I had not seen it yet)... I wish to be one with the underground lake creatures

You are redeemed and all of those who have doubted the quality of M.T. simply are not working on the highest ( or lowest if you are a lake creature ;) ) level of consciousness and spiritual enlightenment you get from witnessing the greatness of this Film

All of that said, I still don't feel 100% worthy... I'm getting there, the problem is I'm not brave enough to say or write that "Monster Trucks is the best film of the year" (both 2016 and 2017 'cuz it premiered on/after Christmas 2016 in France, UK, Ireland and Malaysia... 4 Lucky countries) Much like Barry Pepper's policeman character, the truth is in front of me (Like you told the world, I saw it in the film) but I have to work some personal stuff out in order to bond with my adoptive son Tripp (Lucas Till, who you confessed was your REAL identity) And WE know what happened with their relationship at the end of the movie :D

I've decided that my punishment for my lack of "Monster Truck" courage is to spread the word about it (Much like you Cameron H.) and watch it a bunch

tl;dr... I 100% UN-Ironically LOVED/LOVE "Monster Trucks" Thank You Cameron H.

35661_3_large.jpg

P.S. : Pressing play on "The Lure" Now BRB

• Like 6

I did like the return to foam thing, though. That is something that was definitely in the original tale tail.

FTFY

• Like 4

Gotcha.

Yes, the little mermaid is supposed to feel like walking on knives. There's a dance where she gets to dance with the prince, and she's happy, but each step is excruciating. Oh well, that's the price of love I guess!

I liked the foam too, although it looked more like laundry soap bubbles than magical sea foam.

I haven't read the original tale (but will now!) and didn't understand the crutches. I just thought it was taking her an awful long time to heal. I didn't understand why the legs/feet were where it hurt instead of her stomach where the surgery was at.

As for the sea foam, I was disappointed with how quick the transition happened. As soon as the camera started spinning around Mietek I knew an effect was coming but wanted to see it. I thought she would be there but in foam.

Also, as far as the foam is concerned, where was the chocolate?

milk_chocolate_sponge_candy_-_7lb.jpg

• Like 3

I agree with everything--except I do think he was attracted to her but he couldn't get over the fish/animal/ having a tail "thing".

I thought she realized that she would never have true love as she wanted it, whether it was with him or another man. She gave herself one last moment of happiness before oblivion.

I honestly thought Silver would turn out to be the psycho sister based on the odd looks she was giving in the beginning. (I didn't watch the trailer so maybe this was taken care of there.) I honestly never got why she fell in love with Mietek at all. He never did anything for her. He even left the girls alone at the beginning knowing they were about to be victims of the casting couch!

How horrific must that (I want to call it rape) have been to leave the girls so catatonic! If I remember right splashing a little water didn't help. They had to be taken to the (world's most convenient) pool to be revived. Was that pool part of the club complex?

• Like 3

Also, as far as the foam is concerned, where was the chocolate?

I'm gonna have to draw the line at fishy chocolate.

• Like 4

I thought she realized that she would never have true love as she wanted it, whether it was with him or another man. She gave herself one last moment of happiness before oblivion.

I honestly thought Silver would turn out to be the psycho sister based on the odd looks she was giving in the beginning. (I didn't watch the trailer so maybe this was taken care of there.) I honestly never got why she fell in love with Mietek at all. He never did anything for her. He even left the girls alone at the beginning knowing they were about to be victims of the casting couch!

How horrific must that (I want to call it rape) have been to leave the girls so catatonic! If I remember right splashing a little water didn't help. They had to be taken to the (world's most convenient) pool to be revived. Was that pool part of the club complex?

I think the sisters should have left that club right after the casting couch. Yet they thought "Here are people who can be as horrific as we can, they'll understand us"?!?!?!?

Was the end credit song sung by Silver? It sounded like her perspective on things "I'll be warmer in the depths than in your arms" and such. Yet the lyrics are contradicted by her final choice to hold him and turn to foam rather than tear his throat out. It was also strange she would choose one moment in Mietek's arms and leave her sister forever.

• Like 4

I couldn't really grasp what had happened on that casting couch. I mean, I obviously get they were sexually assaulted. But based on how Golden ate that one guy in the car, I would assume if he rendered Silver catatonic that Golden would have reacted accordingly. How did he do that to both of them? What the hell did he do? How did he manage to affect both girls so severely?

I honestly thought there was going to be some sort of plot point about them being out of water for too long because of that. Nope.

• Like 7

I couldn't really grasp what had happened on that casting couch. I mean, I obviously get they were sexually assaulted. But based on how Golden ate that one guy in the car, I would assume if he rendered Silver catatonic that Golden would have reacted accordingly. How did he do that to both of them? What the hell did he do? How did he manage to affect both girls so severely?

I honestly thought there was going to be some sort of plot point about them being out of water for too long because of that. Nope.

I originally thought the club owner was the guy on the bank that they both ate parts of and that it was revenge for the assault. Nope, he shows up at the end and they're all a "happy" family.

• Like 1

The screenplay was all over the place, often with scenes inserted for the sake of inserting them. And while I wanted the music to carry us through, it was a curious mix of narrative/choreographical music (the shopping song, for example) as well as the nightclub stuff.

Fister, give us your take on it!

Sorry, y'all! Yesterday ended up being busier than I had thought it would be, so I'm just getting a chance to give my take.

I'm curious what you mean about "scenes inserted for the sake of inserting them." Maybe you could give an example or two, because I didn't have any real problems with the structure of the film. And I didn't really feel there were many out of place scenes (with the exception of the weird almost sex scene where the lady is licking Golden's tail).

I do wish there was more of the choreographed music. The shopping scene is probably one of my favorites in the movie, but a lot of the rest of the narrative songs are pretty slow and morose. I generally like the nightclub songs better than the other ones.

I think what I like best about this movie is the mash-up of the familiar and the mystical. Cakebug pointed out that no one is really surprised to see mermaids. I like that it's just a "oh hey, this is a kind of curious thing we found." Even with their first appearance int he nightclub, everyone is just like, "Hey, that's a kind of cool thing I've never seen before" but no one is like, "Wait! Fuckin' mermaids are real?"

I also really the movie thematically. Smoczynska has said that she views the mermaids as standing in for (among other things) immigrants. But surely they can represent any exploited group. When the mermaids show up on the beach, everyone's first thought is how to make money off of them. No one (not even Mietek) makes any attempt to humanize them or treat them as anything other than something to exploit - either financially or sexually.

So the sisters are left with the choice of either humanizing/integrating themselves like Silver tries to do or just not really giving a shit and continuing to do their own thing like Golden does. Silver sacrifices her tail, her voice, and ultimately herself to try to fit into this society where no one has really welcomed her. Even the guy that supposedly loves her tells her that she's just an animal in his eyes.

But Golden just keeps doing her thing. She doesn't try to change into anything different just to appease the people who are exploiting her. And in the end, that's why she survives. I think it's important that she killed Mietek in the end - not as a way of avenging her sister - but as a way of taking control over the people who have been taking advantage of the sisters for the entire movie.

• Like 8

I was also confused when the main singer (mom?) and drummer (dad?) were having sex and she got a whiff of his fingers... and she asked why his fingers smelt fishy?

Was he sexually assaulting Silver and/or Golden? or messing around with one or both of them? I also figured they wouldn't put up with that and probably eat him. Especially Golden. IDK what was going on.

• Like 5

Sorry, y'all! Yesterday ended up being busier than I had thought it would be, so I'm just getting a chance to give my take.

I'm curious what you mean about "scenes inserted for the sake of inserting them." Maybe you could give an example or two, because I didn't have any real problems with the structure of the film. And I didn't really feel there were many out of place scenes (with the exception of the weird almost sex scene where the lady is licking Golden's tail).

I do wish there was more of the choreographed music. The shopping scene is probably one of my favorites in the movie, but a lot of the rest of the narrative songs are pretty slow and morose. I generally like the nightclub songs better than the other ones.

I think what I like best about this movie is the mash-up of the familiar and the mystical. Cakebug pointed out that no one is really surprised to see mermaids. I like that it's just a "oh hey, this is a kind of curious thing we found." Even with their first appearance int he nightclub, everyone is just like, "Hey, that's a kind of cool thing I've never seen before" but no one is like, "Wait! Fuckin' mermaids are real?"

I also really the movie thematically. Smoczynska has said that she views the mermaids as standing in for (among other things) immigrants. But surely they can represent any exploited group. When the mermaids show up on the beach, everyone's first thought is how to make money off of them. No one (not even Mietek) makes any attempt to humanize them or treat them as anything other than something to exploit - either financially or sexually.

So the sisters are left with the choice of either humanizing/integrating themselves like Silver tries to do or just not really giving a shit and continuing to do their own thing like Golden does. Silver sacrifices her tail, her voice, and ultimately herself to try to fit into this society where no one has really welcomed her. Even the guy that supposedly loves her tells her that she's just an animal in his eyes.

But Golden just keeps doing her thing. She doesn't try to change into anything different just to appease the people who are exploiting her. And in the end, that's why she survives. I think it's important that she killed Mietek in the end - not as a way of avenging her sister - but as a way of taking control over the people who have been taking advantage of the sisters for the entire movie.

The only scene I would say had to be inserted was the poison scene. I thought the sisters had killed them all or had Triton kill them. Then they seem to be responding before the blond lady activates the cure for each of them. My head spun the entire scene.

As far as the mermaids I figured there had to have been others before Silver and Golden. How else would the one doctor know what to do to transplant the human lower half onto Silver's body and the tail onto the other girl? (Also how would the "father" know where to take Silver to have this done?) Yet everyone in the club went out of their minds when the girls jumped into the tank and revealed their tails.

• Like 4

The policewoman having sex with Golden's tail is a prime example of a scene that was dumped in there with no narrative purpose - she knows she killed the guy, she has sex with her, so unless it's to illustrate corruption and the abuse of the outsider, it sticks out. Similarly the random scene with the blonde nurse hooking everyone up to IVs. There were enough disconnected scenes that it muddied the water, so to speak. Late in the film there were similarly plot points that were adopted and abandoned, but by that point I was tuning in and out so my examples aren't as cogent as I'd like.

• Like 6

The policewoman having sex with Golden's tail is a prime example of a scene that was dumped in there with no narrative purpose - she knows she killed the guy, she has sex with her, so unless it's to illustrate corruption and the abuse of the outsider, it sticks out. Similarly the random scene with the blonde nurse hooking everyone up to IVs. There were enough disconnected scenes that it muddied the water, so to speak. Late in the film there were similarly plot points that were adopted and abandoned, but by that point I was tuning in and out so my examples aren't as cogent as I'd like.

I also wondered if introducing Triton was really that necessary? I know he was inserted to explain the mermaid mythology--since Golden told Silver that Triton told her Silver would lose her voice after the surgery.

But it seemed like Golden already knew the "mermaid rules" since in the beginning she asked Silver "What if you fall in love?" "would you eat him?"

So his character felt a little unnecessary to me. Like they seemed to already know what could / was going to go down.

The policewoman and nurse were the most random though, at least Triton stuck around longer.

• Like 5

The only scene I would say had to be inserted was the poison scene. I thought the sisters had killed them all or had Triton kill them. Then they seem to be responding before the blond lady activates the cure for each of them. My head spun the entire scene.

I had NO idea what was going on with the poison scene. I couldn't make heads or tails of anything that was going on from after the dad punched the girls in the face til they showed back up in the dressing room and no one really cared.

• Like 5

I read somewhere that the mermaids were supposed to stand in for immigrants or "outsiders" so maybe the policewoman was saying "Have sex with me or I'll turn you in"? There was a case in California where a prostitute accused an officer of doing that multiple times.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2017-05-19/judge-orders-oakland-officer-to-stand-trial-in-sex-scandal

• Like 4

I just thought of another WTF? inserted scene. The dream scene where the girls are each sucking on a breast of the older lady. I thought it was a vampire thing where she was letting them eat her so she could escape her life but then she was in the next scene as if nothing happened.

• Like 6

I just thought of another WTF? inserted scene. The dream scene where the girls are each sucking on a breast of the older lady. I thought it was a vampire thing where she was letting them eat her so she could escape her life but then she was in the next scene as if nothing happened.

I think that was a breastfeeding scene - Kinga was the mother figure of the girls.

• Like 7