🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 22 Bugsy Malone

Favorite Monkees songs?

I have quite a few, but currently, my favorite is “Whay Am I Doing Hangin’ Round”

It's weird but my favorite is Auntie Grizelda. It was on an album of theirs and I was like "Who ever thought up this song let alone recorded & released it?"

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 3

paul-williams-bugsy-malone-am.jpg

I find it odd that they went with Dapper Dan rather than Fat Sam.

In case anyone cares (I assume Cinco might as he posted it) in Japanese the movie is called Dauntaun Monogatari or Downtown Story. Side note the infamous NES game River City Ransom in Japan goes by nearly the same name (they throw in extra word to tie it to the main series of games.)

As far as the Monkees go, I'm not overly familiar with them so no deep cuts but I do really enjoy "Last Train to Clarksville"

• Like 4

I know this has been mentioned before, but in Bugsy Malone, I too was overly put off and distracted by the poor lip-synching and ADR recording. I think this is especially the case in the tap-dancing scene on the street with the African American boy singing by himself. The voice is so mismatched, his mouth movements so unrelated to the singing, and the sound effects so out-of-step with his movements, I found it just frustrating to watch. Maybe it was supposed to be part of the whole mise-en-scene of Busy Malone? I dunno. I didn't dig it.

Interestingly(?), this week's HDTGM movie, Virtuosity, also has severe ADR problems, especially with Russell Crowe. I'm guessing this was an attempt to mitigate or eliminate his accent, but it resulted in lines being dubbed into scenes where you could blatantly see his mouth closed and his lips not moving. It's Ed Wood sloppy.

• Like 3

I'm curious what everyone's ideas are for other movies that could use the Bugsy Malone treatment. If you had to make a movie or tell a well known story with kids instead of adults, what would you pick? I've always thought a kids version of Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari would make an interesting, maybe not necessarily good, play.

Favorite Monkees songs?

The Porpoise Song for sure

• Like 6

I'm curious what everyone's ideas are for other movies that could use the Bugsy Malone treatment. If you had to make a movie or tell a well known story with kids instead of adults, what would you pick? I've always thought a kids version of Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari would make an interesting, maybe not necessarily good, play.

Any movie with a lot of cuss words.

• Like 6

Favorite Monkees songs?

I feel so basic cause it's definitely "Last Train to Clarkesville"

I for some reason just imagined a "Vincent Adultman" situation where the kids would stack themselves in a trench coat and trick us into thinking they were actually adults.

• Like 5

I feel so basic cause it's definitely "Last Train to Clarkesville"

If someone doesn't like Last Train To Clarksville, they are wrong. Not you.

• Like 5

Reservior Dogs, or any other movie featuring a cream gun Mexican standoff.

• Like 5

All the Monkees picks are fantastic!

I also like “The Door into Summer” (Huge Mike Naismith fan)

And “I’ll Be Back Up on My Feet”

I would like to see The French Connection Bugsy Malone’d

• Like 5

I would like to see The French Connection Bugsy Malone’d

Can you imagine the car chase done with those pedal cars?

• Like 4

I keep thinking of a western like Tombstone or The Wild bunch being done with kids.

• Like 5

Since tomspanks mentioned car chase sequences, I was thinking Fast and the Furious. You could have a bunch of kids doing one-liners while operating high-tech pieces of destructive machinery. It'd be like a whole movie of the scenes in The Phantom Menace where Jake Lloyd was spouting catchphrases and shouting "woo-hoo!" while piloting his spaceship. It'd be the most God damn infuriating movie ever.

• Like 9

I want to see Saving Private Ryan done in a Bugsy Malone style if only to see in the opening scene with a kid walking around covered in cream picking up pie pans as pies and custard are flying around him.

• Like 5

Since tomspanks mentioned car chase sequences, I was thinking Fast and the Furious. You could have a bunch of kids doing one-liners while operating high-tech pieces of destructive machinery. It'd be like a whole movie of the scenes in The Phantom Menace where Jake Lloyd was spouting catchphrases and shouting "woo-hoo!" while piloting his spaceship. It'd be the most God damn infuriating movie ever.

Still the best part of that movie...

I was out sick yesterday so I missed all this. I'd like to see The Untouchables done for two specific scenes.

1) Where Al Capone takes a baseball bat to the guy's head. Would be hilarious to see whipped cream come flying out instead of blood.

2) The carriage down the stairs. Have all the actors be kids except have an adult sitting in the carriage. They'd fit badly as if they tried to sit down and fell in.

• Like 2

I was out sick yesterday so I missed all this. I'd like to see The Untouchables done for two specific scenes.

1) Where Al Capone takes a baseball bat to the guy's head. Would be hilarious to see whipped cream come flying out instead of blood.

2) The carriage down the stairs. Have all the actors be kids except have an adult sitting in the carriage. They'd fit badly as if they tried to sit down and fell in.

But isn't Bugsy Malone already kind of a riff on The Untouchables? Or at least Al Capone? I mean Fat Sam is basically an Al Capone pastiche.

• Like 1

I think the original Alien might be pretty cool staring kids.

• Like 3

All these ideas are excellent and now I wish there was some studio doing these.

• Like 2

All these ideas are excellent and now I wish there was some studio doing these.

*snort of cocaine* It's like those KidzBopz albums but movies. Get Bob Iger on the phone. Stat!

(also I seriously fear this is what the Disney Channel Hocus Pocus remake is going to be)

• Like 3

But isn't Bugsy Malone already kind of a riff on The Untouchables? Or at least Al Capone? I mean Fat Sam is basically an Al Capone pastiche.

Yes, Bugsy Malone is a riff on every gangster movie ever. As The Untouchables movie didn't come out until 11 years later I figured it was OK to mention two scenes I'd like to see.

If they Bugsy Malone-d the movie Trainspotting, what would all the kids be addicted to? Sugar?

• Like 6

If they Bugsy Malone-d the movie Trainspotting, what would all the kids be addicted to? Sugar?

And adults crawling across the ceiling during the drug trips

• Like 3

Well apparently "Rent" has been Bugdy Malone-d

ViyinUM.jpg

• Like 7

Well apparently "Rent" has been Bugdy Malone-d

So Roger's girlfriend kills herself and leaves a note "we've got diabetes"? Like she gave him diabetes?

Angel dies from diabetes-related complications?

Roger sings a song where he says one song, glory...the one song, before the beetus takes hold?

So many questions.

• Like 6