🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 64.5 — Minisode 64.5

Didn't he assault that girl while making Chinatown or soon thereafter?

No, Chinatown was made in 1972/3, the rape was in 1977.

The thing about letting someone's poor choices in life alienate you from their work is it both limits your enjoyment and places disproportionate significance on an aspect of their personal life over their professional contribution to the world. That said, there's shit I categorically won't support, like as much as I love horror movies, I still won't watch Jeepers Creepers.

The creepiest this about Jeffrey Jones is - could he, as an actor, have so convincingly played a principal obsessed with and pursuing a teenage boy in Ferris Bueller's Day Off had he not those inclinations as a man?

Oh I'm with you on this. Normally I don't have issues separating art from artist, otherwise I couldn't watch or enjoy much of anything. The Jeffrey Jones thing just bothers me on a level that's hard to explain, I think because I really, really did like him as an actor and thought he had such a gift for comedy and he's so key to many of my favorite films and so it almost felt like a personal betrayal on some level. That's ridiculous, I know, but it's there in the recesses of my brain. So coupled with the fact that I already found Howard the Duck a deeply disturbing experience the first time around, I'm thinking I'll skip the rewatch.

• Like 1

This movie WILL bum June out.

Yup. We need to put the So Upsetting meme on standby, because it will definitely be deployed.

• Like 4

The guy voicing the fucking duck sounds so much like Steve Buscemi, it's off-putting. Now I keep picturing Tony Blundetto as a duck.

More or less disturbing than knowing THIS guy did the voice?

Chip_Zien.jpg

Just watched this for the first time at 35. Duck boobs. Marty McFly's mom molesting what looks like a child in a costume. Andy Dufresne on cocaine. Duck size condom. How did someone look at this script and say "Go for it!"????

I have been forever changed. Love HDTGM!!

Only person I fee sorry for is the late Steve Gerber, who created Howard the Duck, in which George Lucas took a steamer on to his chest. This is not even close to what Howard was in comic form. This film is utter trash. It was on HBO last month and I just got sucked in and watched it....*shudder*

There's not enough eye bleach to cleanse this out.

Does anyone know what movies will be discussed at next week's New York live showings of HDTGM?

Paul said he would announce the NY movies on the next podcast.

The creepiest this about Jeffrey Jones is - could he, as an actor, have so convincingly played a principal obsessed with and pursuing a teenage boy in Ferris Bueller's Day Off had he not those inclinations as a man?

Yes. It's called acting.

Okay, I'm sorry, I'm 7 minutes in and this is already one of the most depressing things I have ever seen. I'd seen reviews and clips of this movie, but... MAN is this unsettling.

Paul said he would announce the NY movies on the next podcast.

It would be so funny if it was The Happening.

• Like 1

Alas, 'tis not. A double dose of Stallone.

HDTGM_zps56c5a14a.png

HOLY SHIT YES!

• Like 2

Okay, I'm sorry, I'm 7 minutes in and this is already one of the most depressing things I have ever seen. I'd seen reviews and clips of this movie, but... MAN is this unsettling.

If you were able to power through Howard the Duck to the end, you would have been duly rewarded. I hope you like keytars, because I know I don't. That song has been stuck in my head for weeks now. Might have to make it my ringtone.

I also went to the live taping and I was sitting next to a woman who just started screaming shit randomly and answering questions no one was asking her half way through the show. You know stuff like "ONLY MAMMALS HAVE BREASTS! WHY DOES THE DUCK HAVE BREASTS IF THEY LAY EGGS!?" I guess she thought that maybe one of the hosts had the answer because she continued to scream that same question over and over again. Eventually Paul told her something like "You don't have a mic, no one can hear you.". I just wanted to bring this up because what he said was untrue....we could hear her Paul, we could hear her. The scolding did not stop her.

I like Demolition Man. I think its a great movie, but I am excited to hear how the gang is going to take in this movie. It's been awhile since I've seen Over The Top, but I do remember thinking, even as a kid, it was weird that this rich woman would marry a truck driver. As an adult I have the answer: he was laying some Serious Stallone Pipe to get woman of that class. It's the only logical reason.

• Like 1

If you were able to power through Howard the Duck to the end, you would have been duly rewarded. I hope you like keytars, because I know I don't. That song has been stuck in my head for weeks now. Might have to make it my ringtone.

I also went to the live taping and I was sitting next to a woman who just started screaming shit randomly and answering questions no one was asking her half way through the show. You know stuff like "ONLY MAMMALS HAVE BREASTS! WHY DOES THE DUCK HAVE BREASTS IF THEY LAY EGGS!?" I guess she thought that maybe one of the hosts had the answer because she continued to scream that same question over and over again. Eventually Paul told her something like "You don't have a mic, no one can hear you.". I just wanted to bring this up because what he said was untrue....we could hear her Paul, we could hear her. The scolding did not stop her.

Oh god, sounds tough. And really, if it was worth talking about, they would have brought it up.

But onto this movie, I was depressed because with the Biker thugs and the Homeless Woman, I began to feel sympathy for Howard as someone who was scared in a new world. That point was IMMEDIATELY thrown out the window. I'm actually shocked I gave the movie that credit.

But yes, the movie is...odd. Some may say horrible. Others may describe Lea Thompson and Howard's Romance as "Straight-Up Unholy". But I was willing to look over ALL of that. What INFURIATED me was everything that was going on in the movie after Jeffery Jones was found in the wreckage. WHY did no one take his claims of being an alien seriously? WHY DID THE DINERS try to murder Howard. WHY DO THE POLICE NEVER REALIZE THAT THEY CAN SHOOT DOWN HOWARD'S PLANE UNTIL HALFWAY THROUGH THE CHASE SEQUENCE? WHY DID THAT ENTIRE SEQUENCE HAPPEN?!? WHY IS THERE NO LOGIC?!?!? ANGER. RAGE. ARGHH.

I will give the movie credit though. "Howard may be a duck, but you people are Animals!" Control. Alt. Fucking SAVE.

Has the guest for this episode been announced? Jake Fogelnest seems like the most natural choice.

WHY IS THERE NO LOGIC?!?!? ANGER. RAGE. ARGHH.

I stopped looking for logic once Howard was sucked out of his duck pun riddled apartment and shot through space on a lazy boy (or a lazy duck?) chair. HE WENT THROUGH SPACE! Why did those people who first found Howard just pick him up and run into a club with him? And that was the start of the movie. If you were still looking for logic after that than you have nerves of steel. I just started getting more annoyed. Then I just thought, "Okay this is why this is a HDTGM movie.".

Sign in to follow this