🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 173 — Doughnut Agree

Special guest co-host April Richardson is back along with Nerd of Mouth’s Mike Lawrence on this week’s WHO CHARTED! The Billboard Hot Dance/Electronic Songs inspires them to talk about Legos, gay Metal dudes, and the sadness of showbiz. Then, they get into why Mike walked out of Need For Speed, movie mistakes in period films, and Howard & Mike play Jaws is Better with Disney’s Up. Plus, April & Mike debate whether Tim Burton’s Batman holds up or not and Mike explains who was the worst McDonald’s customer he had to deal with during the Tweet Chart!

I feel like I need to go find Barkhad Abdi and give him a hug after this episode.

Yeah. All that talk about him being broke would have really bummed me out too, except that anytime I hear the words "Captain Phillips" I instantly hear PFT's impression of him in my head. It's hard to be sad when you keep hearing the word "PIRATES!" over and over.

• Like 2

Mike Lawrence talked more about U2 than the Scotts did for the Achtung Baby episode.

Mike was a great guest. He knew his pop culture and had some incredible observations and didn't pull any punches back. Haters gonna hate.

Also I have a crush on April, so hooray for more her!

• Like 5

I loved Howard's urgency to know where the Austin doughnut shop is. "Is that on the drag? Because I've got a bad story about it if it is. ...MIKE?!"

• Like 1

I loved April's energy, as usual, but I have to say the funniest section of the show was the 18 minute mark when she gets called out for "daria-ing" a chart entry. You could tell from the way she went from placid-aggravated that Howard had been pestering her before the show about Daria-ing.

The energy between those two is tense but pretty funny.

A Mike Lawrence Twofer this week! Whooch and @Mignight last night! Mike is so damn funny.

And a return of the ever amazing April Richardson! *swoons* Go Bayside! is slowly becoming one of my favorite podcasts to listen to!

• Like 2

Assume that a millipede's leg is 1mm wide. that's pretty small. in fact, let's assume a millipede's leg is 0.5mm wide.

Now let's assume there's like 0.5mm space between each leg for movement.

Now let's assume that Lawrence was correct when he asserted that centipedes have 100s of legs, but millipedes have 1000s(?!)

That would mean millipedes would be at least 1-2 meters long. AAAAUUUUGGGHHH !!!

If you come across a 2 meter long millipede or anything that has "1000s of legs", run, because you're in a horror movie and you just met the monster.

I was pretty disappointed with this episode. Its one thing to make fun of something in pop culture that is actually successful, its another thing to attack someone repeatedly for not being physically attractive and Somalian. It wasn't just an off the cuff remark either, the group continued to go after him, including April saying he should just get braces (unironically) and Howard and Mike saying hes going to work at a Burger King. I'm not trying to be a prude, I love everything on earwolf. WC is usually something light a fun to listen to, but today it just felt like listening to a group of petty high school girls. Each member (especially Mike, but Howard is guilty too) came off as a bully.

• Like 6

Man, this making fun of Barkhad is bumming me out. Living in Minneapolis, seeing the struggles that some of the Somali community have to go through...this made me sad. Not to be overly sensitive, but pretty negative shit by Who Charted standards.

Yeah, not a fan of Mike Lawrence- at least in this episode. Barkhad actually has a fascinating face and could be a great character actor- we need more unique non-white people in cinema. It just makes film richer. I hope he has a bright future ahead of him!

I also didn't appreciate the off hand joke about shooting Christians... yes, of course "God's Not Dead" is going to be bad, those propaganda films always are- as a Chrisitian (pro-gay, pro-pot, liberal) and as a fan of cinema there is no way I'm going to see it. I just think it was unusually mean, and not in the spirit of Who Charted.

• Like 2

There were definitely dark undertones to this episode. Weird energy.

• Like 1

I haven't listened to the whole thing, and I probably won't. Mike Lawrence brought a very negative energy to the show, and Howard weirdly seemed like he was trying win Mike over. Just a bad time. :mellow:

• Like 4

I was expecting the SXSW show today, so a studio Apisode was a nice surprise (although I do hope we get that one at some point). I've mostly liked Mike from what I've seen of him before, but he rubbed me the wrong way quite a few times as others have mentioned. On the plus side, he and April are both good with the more in-depth discussions.

Sign in to follow this