🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 182 — Gandalf Vs. Snape

I'm a fan of Armen.

I'm also a fan of Besser, especially when he gets worked up over something. If you guys wanna hear him ACTUALLY angry, listen to his CBB with Jay Mohr. It's very apparent he's not enjoying the experience but I think it just makes it funnier.

Really? I never got that vibe from that episode.

• Like 1

This was like Besser interacting with Eric the Unpaid Intern times ten. Top notch.

This is exactly like what it was. You can hear a lot of Snape/godfather-type advice and pushing from Besser's side to get Armen to spit it out.

Still lukewarm on Armen, but bigger fan of Besser more now than ever

• Like 2

ARMIN - dont go! youre the one who taught me that lifes a journey and i'll never forget you...but remember noone care what your problems about ren and stimpys chronological genre-placement are......lifes unfair i know.....

I like Armen, but I think I see the problem some people might have with him. I think WC works best when it's more about the guests interacting with the hosts. Basically the focus should be more on the guest and how they feel about the charts or evenly split on the takes of the hosts and the guests on the charts. When Armen is on it seemingly just becomes about Armen. The guests and the charts sort of become an after thought. I think it's funny, but I could see if it's become a bit frustrating or even repetitive to others. For me though there's just something about him that seems sincere and he comes across as a genuinely likable guy.

That being said it'll be nice to have Howard back next week. Summah just aint Summah without him.

• Like 2

Matty B is one of my favorite Whooch (or Earwolf in general) guests, but I would love to see the other UCB 3 on sometime soon.

• Like 1

It was a lot of fun listening to Besser rip on Armen, and I like Armen! I like the tough love, and who wouldn't benefit from some UCB classes?

Also, always a thrill to have the one and only Kulap read my question. Humblebrag!

• Like 1

Besser is HILARIOUS when he loses patience with people.

Like Matt, I have been following the evolution of USA marijuana law with great interest. I think the best proposal for America is this: legal weed for everybody in the United States except for Armen, who is not allowed to indulge in it anymore.

Karf2.jpg

• Like 2

This actually made me change my opinion on Armen. I at first really didn't like him on WC, but this episode just made me feel really bad for him and within that, root for him. I love Besser, but he was really putting it to Armen in a way that was ruder than necessary and probably made Armen look worse than he actually was. The fact that Kulap, who could have easily facilitated Armen through his quirks, only further ragged on him made matters worse and kind of made her seem like a mob-mentality bully.

Armen seems like a sensitive dude who got gun shy on a program he shouldn't have been on and had to live up to the epic standard that How How left in his wake.

If this Who Charted was a wrestling match, there would have been an Armen face turn and a Kulap/Besser heel turn.

i think its more like kulap likes armen a lot but she's been dealing with his quirks for a month now and she was enjoying mr besser acknowledging them

• Like 2

I'll be happier when Howard is back. This podcast just wasn't a good fit for Armen. Best of luck to him!

I loved all of the Armen episodes. They were special. The guest hosts for the Kulapless episodes were all good, but I like these Howardless episodes a lot more. Armen made them ooze character, I think I'm unlikely to forget them any time soon.

Besser was a perfect guest for the final Armen episode.

• Like 3

I can't stand Armen, but I can see his appeal. Besser though, said all the things I kinda wanted to while listening to his episodes this week. He held nothing back, and handed him his ass, but in a way for him to better himself.

This episode was beyond incredible, and Armen once again brought up a comment I made on him earlier this month. Shouts up!

I was like Kulap in this ep, just falling over laughing at almost everything Besser said. Glad to see such a send off to Armen, don't you hurry back now.

Next week, the return of classic line-up Whooch! Stoked!

• Like 2

Episode 182 in a nutshell

Armen: "This is my darkest hour"

Kulap (minutes later): "This is the greatest day of my life!"

• Like 9

Armen might fit with a different podcast. He does not work for me. Just ruins the flow and his stammering uncertainty is just horrible to listen to.

I'd like Kulap to have a couple-person rotation like Howard does, where she can have a few replacement How-Hows (hopefully non-Armen ones).

• Like 2

It's fine to say Armen isn't your cup of tea, but keeping in mind he clearly reads these forums I think it's worth remembering Wheaton's Law

wil_says____by_nastylittlethought-d4uou4w_zps2ea4bed5.jpeg

• Like 4

Armen is supposed to be a "trained improviser," right? From the UCB? So why does he seem like some dude they just pulled in off the street?

• Like 2

I like Armen, but I think I see the problem some people might have with him. I think WC works best when it's more about the guests interacting with the hosts. Basically the focus should be more on the guest and how they feel about the charts or evenly split on the takes of the hosts and the guests on the charts. When Armen is on it seemingly just becomes about Armen. The guests and the charts sort of become an after thought.

Yes. I've expressed my thoughts on Armen in his first few episodes, and there's no need to keep harping on it, but this is my main issue. Bottom line, you couldn't do an episode "co-hosted" by Armen where the guest doesn't have a pre-existing relationship with Armen. So it's fine if he fills in for a week, but a month becomes a real stretch. Anything beyond that just wouldn't work.

That said, this episode was great, and I've never loved Besser more than in the first five minutes of it. Someone used the word "cathartic" earlier in the thread, which I think nails it.

• Like 2

Just finished listening to the ep, and I have to say that I'm glad Armen's month is over. I was pulling for him during his first episode, but I just couldn't get behind him. I skipped the next two, and then came back for this one to see if there was an improvement. I don't think we need to pile on and call him the worst, but I just don't think this is the right venue for his humor and general way of being. He tried, though, so I give him credit for that much.

Wow, what an episode. I used to hate Armen but now I just kinda feel bad for him because it's clear that Kulap, Besser and the old guests like Paul Rust really like and care about him but it almost seems like he gets in his own way on purpose. Every episode just turns into everyone talking about how weird Armen is and then Armen babbles for a couple of seconds then we move on.

I haven't always been a Besser fan but I could tell he was trying his best and he really impressed me. Kulap was a little mean to Armen but I can't say I really blame her. Armen needs to realize he's 30 years old now, he's not a kid anymore. Ugh I don't know what to say I just hope Armen figures his shit out.

I'm eagerly awaiting Howard's return although I would love to hear an episode with Armen as a guest to see what Howard thinks of him.

Good luck Armen.

• Like 1

It tickles me that Rodney Og likes the anti-Armen posts and Rod_Ogg likes the pro-Armen posts. A bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing there.

I relate to Armen in that I find it difficult to express myself eloquently in person. Improv is actually a wonderful cure for that. It gets you out of your head and into the moment. That being said, Armen did a fine job and these have been some fun shows. Besser as Snape is genius! I love Besser and I wish I had the opportunity to take UCB classes. Do it, Armen.

• Like 1

I am livid about this episode. LIVID.

Because I was listening to it on the way home, kept laughing out loud and people started looking at me like I was a psycho.

Armen, don't ever change! (Well, maybe that shirt.)

Besser, hilarious! What else can I say but that, really?

Kulap, you're keeping it all awesome and on track. No easy task this time!

• Like 2