🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

If you could have one word (Arial Black, all caps, between three and 6 letters) tattooed on your forehead, what would that word be? Why would you do that? (This is about the show.)

• Like 1

Was Chris Tallman's Nick Nolte in episode 10 the same Nick Nolte from the Rifftrax continuum?

• Like 2

(follow up question, do you know you're the best thing in the world? I'll take my answer off the air)

• Like 2

How many early episodes of SPONTANEANATION were tragically lost, such that you now make a point of thanking the engineer for recording all the way to the end?

• Like 3

Hello Paul. What thought goes into who you invite onto the show as an improviser? It seems like most of them are good friends of yours, which gives the show a light, playful vibe that I enjoy very much. Would you consider inviting any other Earwolf regulars on (Lapkus, Morris, Gabrus, etc.)?

• Like 3

When did you first hear of U2? But seriously, all joking a salad, did the improvisers from No, You Shut Up! have puppets on their hands just so they felt comfortable? Also, this is me ignoring that felt pun I totally just lobbed over home plate...

• Like 8

Are you close to anyone named Mitch and/or Dolores in your life? If so, do you grieve for their peril deeply?

• Like 11

I find it very funny that people are always so nervous to discover what their interview question will be. Do you think it's because a lot of the people you've had on the show for the interview portion are not completely comfortable with the podcast medium or is it something else?

• Like 1

Any word on how Mitch is doing? Is the coma going well? And of course by that I mean, is the coma winning? Is it a good coma or a bad coma? How does one judge a coma? Regardless, we're all pulling for him and I'm sending pretend prayers for your pretend character!

• Like 5

Hi Paul !

I really enjoy Spontaneanation every week and also really enjoyed attending the live recording at Largo last month ! I would recommend going to a live show to anyone.

My question is ... How different do you find doing the improv scene in a recording studio versus a live Spontaneanation show with an audience ?

Thanks !

• Like 1

Any plans to mess around with the scene transition method?

What's the reason for the odd mood lighting during Spontaneanation recordings?

I think of it as "nice" mood lighting and the reason is because it's nice. When I recorded the Pod F. Tompkast [holds for applause] I would use similar lighting-- it just seemed to relax me and open my mind up more. Luckily, pretty much everyone who's come to do the show has remarked, unprompted, that they like it, too.

• Like 19

Paul, how do you feel about your status as a "Newbie" on the forum? Does it feel a bit demeaning considering all the years and hard work you've put into comedy? Or do you see this designation as a challenge to be conquered like any other?

• Like 5

How many early episodes of SPONTANEANATION were tragically lost, such that you now make a point of thanking the engineer for recording all the way to the end?

None! Just trying to create TENSION. In all seriousness, we did record a "pilot" that will be released someday. In the future.

• Like 11

Hello Paul. What thought goes into who you invite onto the show as an improviser? It seems like most of them are good friends of yours, which gives the show a light, playful vibe that I enjoy very much. Would you consider inviting any other Earwolf regulars on (Lapkus, Morris, Gabrus, etc.)?

I love all of the Earwolf regulars and will probably have on some of those folks as well at some point, but since I'M such an Earwolf regular, I wanted to create my own little company of people that are amazing improvisers but are somewhat outside of the Earwolf stable. But there are so many people I adore playing with from CBB, etc. and I will not be able to resist booking them eventually. But I am really glad to see that people are getting to know and like the folks I'm bringing to this world.

• Like 21

I love all of the Earwolf regulars and will probably have on some of those folks as well at some point, but since I'M such an Earwolf regular, I wanted to create my own little company of people that are amazing improvisers but are somewhat outside of the Earwolf stable. But there are so many people I adore playing with from CBB, etc. and I will not be able to resist booking them eventually. But I am really glad to see that people are getting to know and like the folks I'm bringing to this world.

great answer!

>EDIT - breaking off a fresh hundo y'all

• Like 3

Hello Paul very cool of you to do this. I was wondering when you take the breaks during the scenes, how long they were and what is happening during those moments. Newbies 4 life!

• Like 4

Mr. F. Tompkins,

this show has become a ritual for me in the best way. I miss a ton if I don't specifically carve out an hour or two to listen, so I do, usually with a beer out on the deck while I watch the local wildlife. I have to say that it truly is one of the best parts of my week.

Serious question, though; any thoughts on helping the interview portion of the show relate more naturally to the improv portion? Sometimes it seems like the tie-ins go a little out the window once the ball gets rolling on the scene. Is anyone writing anything down in the room while you're having your chat? I feel like if I were there, I'd be jotting a few brief notes just to jog my memory while I'm trying to keep several timelines and a dozen characters straight.

Oh! And before I forget - could you please ask Eban to do a few more Musicorium episodes? I've been waiting since 2013! I love that show! (It's so good to be hearing from him again every week on this show!)

• Like 2

Mr. F. Tompkins,

this show has become a ritual for me in the best way. I miss a ton if I don't specifically carve out an hour or two to listen, so I do, usually with a beer out on the deck while I watch the local wildlife. I have to say that it truly is one of the best parts of my week.

Serious question, though; any thoughts on helping the interview portion of the show relate more naturally to the improv portion? Sometimes it seems like the tie-ins go a little out the window once the ball gets rolling on the scene. Is anyone writing anything down in the room while you're having your chat? I feel like if I were there, I'd be jotting a few brief notes just to jog my memory while I'm trying to keep several timelines and a dozen characters straight.

No one is writing anything down, no. And yeah, the tie-ins evaporate pretty fast, but that doesn't really bother me. Once the story gets going, it takes on a life of its own, especially in the second half. The interview is just there for fodder, not to be slavishly backtracked to. And also to be entertaining in its own right.

• Like 11

I find it very funny that people are always so nervous to discover what their interview question will be. Do you think it's because a lot of the people you've had on the show for the interview portion are not completely comfortable with the podcast medium or is it something else?

I'd imagine the guests fill in some blank in their heads about what the question will be, and it must be something deeply personal or political or whatever. It delights me how anxious people are about it.

• Like 10