đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—

Hello Paul! You're my hero and that's not hyperbole.

Is there anything I can do to get a Spontaneanation show in Toronto?

I'd love to do Spontaneanation in Toronto! And I am confident it will happen when all the right conditions are in place.

Does the 300-person deal still apply, even though this isn't stand-up? Does the 300-person deal still apply to stand up?!

The "300 thing" was a plan that was as useful as it was short-lived! I just book shows now. If I haven't booked a show in a specific place, it's probably a matter of time and/or logistics.

Why doesn't the Earwolf store have Spontaneanation pins (something I would buy), but it does have Kulap socks?

The Spontaneanation pins are not for sale-- they are gifts for guests of the show! But speaking of pins AND socks, the Earwolf store DOES offer pins of my face and socks with the Spontaneanation logo!

• Like 2

Thanks Paul! If it happens, I will undoubtedly be in attendance for Spontaneanation in Toronto and for any stand-up that you do around here. I was really upset that I had to miss you as Cake Boss, one of my all-time favourite podcast characters, but seeing you as Garry Marshall the next night made up for it. If I somehow knew in advance that you were going to be Cake Boss for the Thursday night show, I would have probably risked losing my job just to come see it.

Well, regardless of the 300-person thing, I hope to see you here sometime in the not-too-distant future! Maybe the stars will align someday soon.

As for the pins, now I have another reason to be jealous of Spontaneanation guests. The face pins creep me out a bit (not just yours... All of them) but I'll definitely consider the socks.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, it's really cool to see you on the Earwolf forums.

• Like 1

Dear Paul,

Are you ending the podcast (or the live ones anyway)? Thanks!

The podcast is NOT ending-- we are just taking a break from live shows in Los Angeles for a while. This will merely be our last live show at Largo.

• Like 4

The podcast is NOT ending-- we are just taking a break from live shows in Los Angeles for a while. This will merely be our last live show at Largo.

Excellent, thank you!!

Dear Paul

Did growing your beard for B$P have a conscious/subconscious effect on your characters - e.g. did you find yourself becoming 'burly' more frequently?

Your one on one Spontaneanation show with Craig Cackowski was incredibly quick with the improv; it seemed you were attuned to each other and it helped it flow great.

Is having just one person to do improve with more difficult or just different than working with three or four other people?

Also-you and I are the same age and I'm always tickled when you throw out a reference to the era we grew up in.

Your one on one Spontaneanation show with Craig Cackowski was incredibly quick with the improv; it seemed you were attuned to each other and it helped it flow great.

Is having just one person to do improve with more difficult or just different than working with three or four other people?

Well, I guess it's a bit more challenging to develop a story & keep it going with fewer people, but the pressure is a fun pressure. Ultimately, every combination has its own unique challenges AND benefits. With two of us, it's the adrenaline-fueled fun of keeping all the balls in the air with just one partner; with a large group, say, 5 or more people, the resultant chaos delights me.

• Like 2

Hi Paul. I spent my 50th birthday seeing you twice at SketchFest. I now regret not getting a Spontaneonation poster with the date on it. Do you have any of those left?

• Like 1

Hi Paul, nice to see you again.

There's a song that Eben plays in the background on occasion, that I can't quite place. I think it's the theme to a sci-fi TV show, but I'm not sure. Do you know what song that is?

Thank you kindly.

Hi Paul, do you listen to all of the episodes before they come out for quality control purposes?

If so, do you have any particularly memorable moments that you missed during the record and only discovered upon relistening?

Hi Paul, nice to see you again.

There's a song that Eben plays in the background on occasion, that I can't quite place. I think it's the theme to a sci-fi TV show, but I'm not sure. Do you know what song that is?

Thank you kindly.

I bet it's "Lost In Space"

• Like 2

Hi Paul, do you listen to all of the episodes before they come out for quality control purposes?

If so, do you have any particularly memorable moments that you missed during the record and only discovered upon relistening?

I listen back to every episode, and because everything happens in such a rush in that hour, I am constantly surprised and delighted by the show. Some stuff I remember, but always always always there are things I forgot or didn't fully catch the first time. Episode 101 in particular-- I laughed out loud listening to that one more than any other episode so far,

• Like 4

Hi Paul! (Or maybe not)

My fiancé is a loooooong time fan and I was wondering if, should you happen to feel like coming to Boston in September 2018 (hotel and airfare included oooh), you would consider being the officiant at our wedding. It's at a curling club, so clearly we have only the finest taste.

Sorry for the off topic question, please continue being amazing.

Hi Paul! (Or maybe not)

My fiancé is a loooooong time fan and I was wondering if, should you happen to feel like coming to Boston in September 2018 (hotel and airfare included oooh), you would consider being the officiant at our wedding. It's at a curling club, so clearly we have only the finest taste.

Sorry for the off topic question, please continue being amazing.

Mr. Tompkins hasn't visited the forums in a while but, when he was previously asked about officiating a wedding for fans, he replied:

I'm flattered that you would ask, but this is not the sort of thing that I do for strangers. I wish you and your bride-to-be all the best!
  • Like 1

Thank you, Paul, for creating this show! I love everything about it, from Eban’s accompaniment to your voice and wit. Then there’s the always lovely rapport you have with guests, improviser friends, everyone! This show is full of joy and good humor. Thank you for all your hard work and effort. It’s a gift!

Oops. The thread is “Ask Paul,” so here’s a question:

I think you have such a beautiful singing voice. I don’t think I’ve heard anything in the podcast regarding musical training you’ve had. Did you always know you were very good? Did you ever take vocal lessons? When did you start including musical numbers with your stand-ups and other shows?