🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Is there (or will there ever be) a place on the interwebs where one might find, purchase, download, watch, and/or listen to live Spontaneanations (other than whichever episodes have been added to the podcast feed)?

[Edit] - looks like this was just answered. Apologies

[Re-Edit] - Actually, the previous question was about parts of Spont Live, but I suppose the answer you gave would count for the full show as well.

Hi Paul,

LOVED today's episode. Seeing as you've had both Mary Holland and Lauren Lapkus on the show, I was wondering if there's a chance of a future episode with all the members of Wild Horses?

Hi Paul,

LOVED today's episode. Seeing as you've had both Mary Holland and Lauren Lapkus on the show, I was wondering if there's a chance of a future episode with all the members of Wild Horses?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

• Like 5

Any chance of some of the Spontaneanation favourites e.g. the Contaptioneer showing up on some other podcasts e.g. Comedy Bang Bang? I would enjoy that.

It is unlikely.

LIAR!!!

It was nice to have him back though. For those wondering the Contraptioneer returns in the latest episode of the Comedy Bang Bang live show in Atlanta.

• Like 1

Hi Paul!

Outside of the live shows it's frequently mentioned that the episodes are being recorded well before they're going to be released. I recall doing some math based on a comment during the plugs section of an episode and determined that the episode was recorded maybe 3-4 months in advance. My questions are:

What's the highest number of "banked" episodes there were at any one point?

How many episodes were recorded prior to the release of the first episode?

and unrelated...please tell me you'll be at the CBB live show in July (San Diego), I'll be so sad if I don't get to meet you :(

Thanks!

Nick

Hey there Paul, does the current week's guest have any idea to whom they are asking the all-important question for the following week? I bet not!

They do NOT!

• Like 1

Hi Paul!

Outside of the live shows it's frequently mentioned that the episodes are being recorded well before they're going to be released. I recall doing some math based on a comment during the plugs section of an episode and determined that the episode was recorded maybe 3-4 months in advance. My questions are:

What's the highest number of "banked" episodes there were at any one point?

I don't know offhand what the highest number of banked episodes was before the gap started closing. But it was a lot. You could probably piece it together from the plugs at the end of the episodes if you're inclined to do the work (PS: I am not).

How many episodes were recorded prior to the release of the first episode?

I believe 10.

and unrelated...please tell me you'll be at the CBB live show in July (San Diego), I'll be so sad if I don't get to meet you :(

Get ready to be sad. I will not be there. Hopefully another time!

• Like 1

LIAR!!!

It was nice to have him back though. For those wondering the Contraptioneer returns in the latest episode of the Comedy Bang Bang live show in Atlanta.

LIAR!!! It's "The ContraptionAIRE."

• Like 5

Hi Paul,

is there an interview somewhere in which you discuss the comedy you grew up enjoying? Did you get to hear Firesign

Theater, National Lampoon, or other not-very-mainstream comedy records as a kid?

Love your work, and thanks for all the energy during the CBB tour!

• Like 1

Paul,

I just want to say I love the show, and am REALLY appreciative of the effort you put into making sure there's diversity in there - I love the perspectives and energy that come from your growing cadre of performers. Thank you for being inclusive AND hilarious.

• Like 3

I've noticed in recent episodes the commercial break is coming after the introduction of the improvisers and not in the middle of the improv. What caused this change in format? Is it in order to let the improv flow continuously instead of introducing a commercial break cliffhanger? And do you prefer it this way so far?

Thanks for everything you do with this podcast, it always makes my Mondays brighter!

I've noticed in recent episodes the commercial break is coming after the introduction of the improvisers and not in the middle of the improv. What caused this change in format? Is it in order to let the improv flow continuously instead of introducing a commercial break cliffhanger? And do you prefer it this way so far?

Initially I had the second break where it was because I wanted get into the improv right after we met everyone, so the players would be fresh in people's minds when we started playing. In studio, everyone is, of course, there from the very beginning, as anything said up to the improv set is considered fodder for the improv. So the players are present to absorb as much potential material as possible. For the live shows, it would be weird to have the players there from the start without introducing them, so we intro them first. It didn't feel right to take a break in the middle of the set in front of an audience (although I think we do that in the "Sport Club" episode with Kumail Nanjiani). After a while, it just occurred to me that we could do that in the studio, too, and the small distance of an ad or two between meeting our improvisors and the improv itself wouldn't hurt anything. Plus we get to hang out with the improvisors a little more. I am enjoying the change so far!

• Like 2

Hey Paul, I know it might mess up the flow up things, but is there any way an episode could use a listener submitted location/question? Maybe if a guest doesn't show and you just interview one of the improvisors or something?

Because if other listeners are like me, they all have a "perfect" idea for a location and a hilarious question thought up. Some would be better than others. Maybe a poll or thread on the forums to aggregate/pick submissions. idk just a thought.

Hey Paul, I know it might mess up the flow up things, but is there any way an episode could use a listener submitted location/question? Maybe if a guest doesn't show and you just interview one of the improvisors or something?

Because if other listeners are like me, they all have a "perfect" idea for a location and a hilarious question thought up. Some would be better than others. Maybe a poll or thread on the forums to aggregate/pick submissions. idk just a thought.

While I have no doubt that many listeners are certain they have the "perfect" location and/or question, my experience with soliciting this kind of stuff from the audience is that it leads to me sifting through a lot of, shall we say, LESS-than-perfect responses.

And honestly, it's really not ever about the location or the question. It's about what we do with it, where we go from there. If you especially enjoy one episode or particularly despise another it all comes down to what we've done and how you took it in; there are no magic, "can't miss" locations.

So I think we're all set. Thank you and I hope you will continue to listen!

• Like 3

Ever considered getting Justin Roiland on the show?

Hi Paul-

Being a handbook head, I'd like as much information as possible about the Sean & Hayes ep. However, I understand if you're saving the material for the book you're no doubt writing about your experience.

We all know Sean and Hayes are the bad boys of Earwolf - did they demand that you break the usual format of your show and have no other improvisers on? Give me all the juicy deets.

• Like 1

What does the F stand for?

fuckmachine

• Like 2

Hello Paul! You're my hero and that's not hyperbole.

Is there anything I can do to get a Spontaneanation show in Toronto? Does the 300-person deal still apply, even though this isn't stand-up? Does the 300-person deal still apply to stand up?! Why doesn't the Earwolf store have Spontaneanation pins (something I would buy), but it does have Kulap socks? I have so many questions, but I'll cut myself off there.

• Like 1