🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

The time will definitely come when stuff about SE:FC can be knowledgeably adressed, but that time is not now! Glad you like the show-- we really enjoyed making it'

Well, you certainly can't say fairer than that!

Thank you for the response and I'll continue to look forward to whatever you guys have in store for us in the--hopefully, not too distant--future.

Dear- to -us-all Paul,

How come ("how does it come about that?") you haven't ever explained what sound effect represents returning from the future to the present? I bet you think it's clear, but the glissando has only ever been spoken of as going into the past. You do get to the double-duty of vibe sound, but because you always explain those things in the very same order, there is a gap!

I think the answer is because you have too much trouble with those damnable sounds and you would need to have a rubber room prepared for yourself. That part is hilarious as everyone has pointed out. Keep on keeping spontaneous!

Dear- to -us-all Paul,

How come ("how does it come about that?") you haven't ever explained what sound effect represents returning from the future to the present? I bet you think it's clear, but the glissando has only ever been spoken of as going into the past. You do get to the double-duty of vibe sound, but because you always explain those things in the very same order, there is a gap!

I think the answer is because you have too much trouble with those damnable sounds and you would need to have a rubber room prepared for yourself. That part is hilarious as everyone has pointed out. Keep on keeping spontaneous!

Doesn't he say "going into the future or returning to the present" for the vibe sound? I thought it was something like that, but I can't listen to double-check at the moment.

• Like 1

nope, you fucked it up too! I say that respectfully, because I am only just listening to the goings-on and I am too dumb to keep track of those sounds. I don't suppose the buttons are labeled are they? If they were, it probably wouldn't be such a problem!

nope, you fucked it up too! I say that respectfully, because I am only just listening to the goings-on and I am too dumb to keep track of those sounds. I don't suppose the buttons are labeled are they? If they were, it probably wouldn't be such a problem!

Oh, sorry, I was thinking about coming back from a flashback, not coming back to the present from a flash-forward.

Dear- to -us-all Paul,

I assumed people would be smart enough to figure it out.

• Like 4

Oh my, Paul! I've got TERRIBLE news for you...

• Like 4

Oh my, Paul! I've got TERRIBLE news for you...

YOWCH!

Just delightful. :)

• Like 2

Hello, Mr. Tompkins!

As I was listening to today's episode (#23), I was in agreement with Mr. Waters that the question "When was the last time you did something brave?" was a pretty earnest and difficult question. Aside from trying to answer this question for myself (it was really tough), I began to muse over the nature of inquiry, or to put it another way, what do the questions we ask say about ourselves?

For example, I would never asked that question--and certainly not right off the dome as I assume Bob Kerr must have done. What does that say about me that I wouldn't have ever even thought of that question, and what does that say of Mr. Kerr that he did?

So my non-rhetorical question is: Have you ever thought of turning the question back on the question asker, recording it, and maybe releasing their response as bonus content? Maybe something quarterly or just for Howl Premium subscribers? In this show's short history, I feel the classic Spontaneanation question has to be, "Where were you when you realized God didn't exist?" Obviously Mr. Foley was being a bit cheeky by asking an intentionally subversive question, but even if it's being asked for comedic effect, it's also apparent that the question is also coming from a genuine place for Mr. Foley and I would be fascinated to hear his answer to his own question. The same goes for episode 23's question and all the other questions that have been asked on this show.

The only thing I could see as being a potential drawback is if people know they are going to have to answer their own question they may censor themselves so they don't put themselves in an uncomfortable position (and then what does that say about a person? ). I do recognize that this is not, strictly speaking, and interview podcast, but it is something that I would find to be interesting, entertaining, and worthwhile.

Of course, I ask this question--as all great Internet questions are asked--with no consideration for the logistics, feasibility, hard work, time, and money that would be needed for such an undertaking. I'm just asking from my white-tiled, Tower of Entitlement in the magical realm of Gimmiewhatiwant.

As always, thank you for your time and consideration!

• Like 3

Hello, Mr. Tompkins!

As I was listening to today's episode (#23), I was in agreement with Mr. Waters that the question "When was the last time you did something brave?" was a pretty earnest and difficult question. Aside from trying to answer this question for myself (it was really tough), I began to muse over the nature of inquiry, or to put it another way, what do the questions we ask say about ourselves?

For example, I would never asked that question--and certainly not right off the dome as I assume Bob Kerr must have done. What does that say about me that I wouldn't have ever even thought of that question, and what does that say of Mr. Kerr that he did?

So my non-rhetorical question is: Have you ever thought of turning the question back on the question asker, recording it, and maybe releasing their response as bonus content?

As always, thank you for your time and consideration!

I loved Bob's question! I think it was a really positive one. I liked that it asks the answerer to acknowledge that they did something difficult and should be proud. And as tough as it may seem to answer that question immediately-- I certainly would have needed a moment-- I was glad Derek talked about his experience in that tank.

The show all happens in the moment, and to do followups with guests would be contrary to that idea, and also would be a pain. I would hope that if the listener is intrigued by the guests' thought processes, perhaps they'd look into what the guest has done prior to appearing on my show, because I think all of my guests are interesting people. And if you want to find out Dave Foley's answer to the question, "Where were you when you realized God is a wholly implausible lie," I have ZERO DOUBT that information is already out there somewhere.

• Like 5

And if you want to find out Dave Foley's answer to the question, "Where were you when you realized God is a wholly implausible lie," I have ZERO DOUBT that information is already out there somewhere.

If I'm remembering right he gets into this on his netflix special.

• Like 1

Paul, has your trip to Ireland given you any interest in reviving Monsignor Damien Fearnly?

Also, how was your trip to Ireland? Let's talk as people do.

Paul...

Do you think you'll ever break from the format? I could've listened to you and Michael Sheen talk for an hour and a half. And the silliness of you introducing Annie Savage was so great, I didn't want it to end. Maybe it would go into "bonus episode" territory... you're a podcast favorite for a reason. Always bringing fun, hilarious conversation. It would be so amazing if you, PFT, had a companion "just talking and being funny" podcast, to go along with the Spontaneanation 'cast..... and ya know, possibly follow-up interviews with the guest after hearing the scene that they suggested.

• Like 1

Paul...

Do you think you'll ever break from the format? I could've listened to you and Michael Sheen talk for an hour and a half. And the silliness of you introducing Annie Savage was so great, I didn't want it to end. Maybe it would go into "bonus episode" territory... you're a podcast favorite for a reason. Always bringing fun, hilarious conversation. It would be so amazing if you, PFT, had a companion "just talking and being funny" podcast, to go along with the Spontaneanation 'cast..... and ya know, possibly follow-up interviews with the guest after hearing the scene that they suggested.

I have to concur. I know you may not want to hear this PFT, but often for me the ramble/interview are my favorite parts of the show. And I'm like an improv junkie. Just saying.

• Like 1

I have to concur. I know you may not want to hear this PFT, but often for me the ramble/interview are my favorite parts of the show. And I'm like an improv junkie. Just saying.

Yeah... Sklarbro Country has County... Who Charted has Two Charted... I'm wondering what a 2nd podcast of Spontaneanation would be like. Conversaneanation?

• Like 1

Any chance of some of the Spontaneanation favourites e.g. the Contaptioneer showing up on some other podcasts e.g. Comedy Bang Bang? I would enjoy that.

Any chance of some of the Spontaneanation favourites e.g. the Contaptioneer showing up on some other podcasts e.g. Comedy Bang Bang? I would enjoy that.

It is unlikely.

• Like 1

At one point you could pay some money and watch a live episode. Can that still be done. If so how??

Hi! I am happy to fill in the gaps for you, since you perhaps skimmed a tweet and never listen to the ads!

Our show will be part of the 2015 Los Angeles Podcast Festival next weekend. Saturday, September 19th, at 9pm Pacific, we will perform the studio version of Spontaneanation in front of an audience at The Sofitel Hotel in West Hollywood, CA. We will also be live-streaming it!

Our improviser are Craig Cackowski, Matt Gourley and Janet Varney, and our interview guest is Andy Daly.

For tickets and/or streaming passes, go to lapodfest.com and use the promo code PFT to get a few bucks off.

It must have been a pain for you to come here to the forum and ask me a question rather than look up the information yourself, so if it saves you some time, check out my tumblr or my Instagram (or the descriptions of the episodes here) for incor about any live events we do. The info is always there, I promise!

• Like 5

Hi Paul,

Have you ever... had a guest or improviser miss or cancel on the show?

Is there a protocol for coming up one short?

Most importantly, would any of the above provide context appropriate for using the mysterious phrase "ankle the sked"?

Thanks!