🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Hi Paul! Due to today's double-dose of PFT video game talk on Spontaneantion and The Indoor Kids, I have a cross-podcast video game question that I hope is not completely off-topic to the podcast as a whole.

You enjoy first-person shooters due to the style of gameplay and A-to-B objectives/storytelling, and not so much games with RPG elements such as sandbox worlds and meandering mission objectives. Most FPSs have the player assume the role of a character and a specific storyline to follow. Most RPGs come with an in-depth character maker and then an open world to aimlessly wander around.

It does not sound like you jump into the RPG side of games too often, but you mentioned playing Destiny; a FPS with RPG elements (character creation being one of them), and so a question popped into my head:

You have played and created so many great characters for the purposes of entertainment, that I was wondering what kind of avatar do you make for yourself when given the opportunity of character creation at the start of a video game? Do you welcome the chance to customize a character's facial features and give him or her a name, or is this process just an unwelcome hurdle you must jump over in order to get right to the action?

A hope squandered!

• Like 8

In today's episode, Lisa Hanawalt gave a comparatively vague location with Malibu. We also had Savannah, GA a while back (which turned into my favorite episode so far). These two stick out because a lot of the others are more specific.

My question is: does it make it harder or easier when a guest suggests a place like Malibu/Savannah vs a more specific place like "The Waiting Room in an Oil Place" or "The Annual Ghost Sex Convention"? Or is it one of those "Neither; it's just different"-type scenarios?

In my personal experience, the one benefit to a very specific place is that it's a tiny bit easier to come up with an opening line. But that's about it, I think. Because you still have to tell a whole story! I am amused by both specificity and extreme broadness in locations. "Savannah, Georgia" will always have a special place in my heart because it allowed all of us to keep repeating "Savannah, Georgia" over and over again. It still pops into my head out of nowhere.

• Like 5

Okay, I have an actual question related to the show, because I screwed up last time:

The Cards Against Humanity commercials. I'm dying to know the deal with those. Like, are they actually giving you these suggestions? Is it all just a bit? Because your seeming disdain for the entire commercial is hilarious and ends up being the most memorable commercial in the pack, despite the fact that you have, by far, the best commercials in podcasting.

At this point I should say that I have no desire to discuss the ads. I try to make them entertaining so you don't need to fast forward, but they still fall under the heading of "business" for me, and thus yaaaaaaaaawn. I'M SORRY!

• Like 6

Do you ever space out during improv, come back and go "Oh no. What the fuck is happening? I'm supposed to be running this show!"

Related to intense focus, do you drink coffee during the show?

Do you ever space out during improv, come back and go "Oh no. What the fuck is happening? I'm supposed to be running this show!"

One of the things I love about improv, and especially narrative improv, is that you cannot space out. It's all about focus. It's all about holding several things in your head at once and being ready to act and react all the time. I am fully engaged and it is always exciting. Perhaps improv veterans who have many years on me in this game have different experiences, but I'd be surprised to hear that.

Related to intense focus, do you drink coffee during the show?

I can barely remember to bring water into the studio, and even if I do it gets knocked over every other episode.

• Like 5

How did you choose the show's Latin motto: Semper in praesenti?

I knew I wanted to express the spirit of the show in a fun way, and just looked online for a Latin translation of "Always in the moment."

• Like 4

Dear Paul,

Marry, kill, fuck on the earwolf engineers. Go.

Also, where do you like to shop for clothes? And do you wear those fancy balling-ass suits during the p-cast, or do you slip into something more or less comfortable?

Dear Paul,

Marry, kill, fuck on the earwolf engineers. Go.

Also, where do you like to shop for clothes? And do you wear those fancy balling-ass suits during the p-cast, or do you slip into something more or less comfortable?

Hey Hutch,

Paul established earlier in the thread he will only answer questions specific to the podcast. That excludes:

1. Joke questions.

2. Questions about future guests.

3. Things that are happening off-mic (visual cues etc.)

4. Questions about the ads.

5. Questions not specific to the content of the podcast.

Hope this helps and good luck with future inquiries my friend.

Hey Hutch,

Paul established earlier in the thread he will only answer questions specific to the podcast. These include:

1. Joke questions.

2. Questions about future guests.

3. Things that are happening off-mic (visual cues etc.)

4. Questions about the ads.

5. Questions not specific to the content of the podcast.

Hope this helps and good luck with future inquiries my friend.

DAMNIT!!!

• Like 1

DAMNIT!!!

Yeah I know. Some of our other forum friends received somewhat of a dressing down.

(I meant excludes btw.)

Yeah I know. Some of our other forum friends received somewhat of a dressing down.

(I meant excludes btw.)

I read ya loud and clear, soupr. Pretty sure we speak the same lingo. I'll brainstorm a more appropriate question for tomorrow.

• Like 1

And do you wear those fancy balling-ass suits during the p-cast, or do you slip into something more or less comfortable?

If you check out the pictures from each episode, he wears them during the podcast, but it looks like he takes the jacket off (probably because they're in a tiny room without great circulation and doesn't want to sweat the entire time he's recording)

• Like 1

Would you still do the episode if one of your guests or improvisers had to drop out last minute? Or would you just try to reschedule since you have so many episodes in the bank?

Hello sir!

Here's a few SPONTANEAQUESTIONS:

If you were a guest on your show, which setting or location would you put forward? Or at least, which would spring to mind first?

Is there a possibility of episodes (or extracts from episodes) being animated?

Has there been any particular character of yours from Comedy Bang Bang that you have felt naturally surface (or traits thereof) in an episode of the show so far?

If you were able to bring the show over to the UK (fingers crossed!), would you aim to bring guests over with you, or gather local talent instead?

Best wishes,

George

• Like 2

Would you still do the episode if one of your guests or improvisers had to drop out last minute? Or would you just try to reschedule since you have so many episodes in the bank?

That almost happened the other day! Someone was late, but we started anyway. My feeling about the show is: what happens, happens. There will definitely be a day when someone cancels at the last minute or gets held up by traffic or whatever. The show must and indeed will go on! Even if it's just me and Eban, I will make up some goddamned story and play a bunch of characters.

• Like 9

If you were a guest on your show, which setting or location would you put forward? Or at least, which would spring to mind first?

I honestly would not know until the moment I was asked!

Is there a possibility of episodes (or extracts from episodes) being animated?

If someone wants to do that, I would absolutely love to see it. I am so very appreciative of fan art and continually amazed that so many incredibly talented artists are also comedy fans.

Has there been any particular character of yours from Comedy Bang Bang that you have felt naturally surface (or traits thereof) in an episode of the show so far?

Despite my best efforts early on, "Mr, Powell" in Ep 18 all but fully morphed into Andrew Lloyd Webber. I am ashamed.

If you were able to bring the show over to the UK (fingers crossed!), would you aim to bring guests over with you, or gather local talent instead?

To keep costs down, I imagine we'd be traveling light, so it'd be me, Eban, the SFX board, and that's it. Luckily, there is no shortage of comedic talent in the United Kingdom.

Best wishes,

You have one wish left!

• Like 5

Was the idea for the sound effects app at all inspired by "Rap Air Horn" AKA "Ham Horn"?

I know Janet Varney's audible laughter when she's on has become a joy for a lot of Spontaneanationalists- do people laughing in the studio help the energy of the show or is it just sort of a thing that you don't really notice?

Ever thought about doing an entirely musical episode with some of your more musically-inclined improvisers?

• Like 3

A question that feels relevant today is: Has the involvement of so many awesome Thrilling Adventure Hour co-workers in Spontaneanation (and your inheritance of the Largo timeslot) in any way affected your feelings about TAH ending its regular monthly run? Has having this show eased the transition into TAH not being a regular part of your life anymore (like it's doing for me) and if so, was that something you were aware of when deciding to create SPONT and choosing who you'd invite on? Or is it apples and oranges to you because of the format being so different? Thanks from all the Adventurekateers and Spontonians!

Ever thought about doing an entirely musical episode with some of your more musically-inclined improvisers?

I would love to do this and I hope we will get there eventually!

• Like 6

A question that feels relevant today is: Has the involvement of so many awesome Thrilling Adventure Hour co-workers in Spontaneanation (and your inheritance of the Largo timeslot) in any way affected your feelings about TAH ending its regular monthly run? Has having this show eased the transition into TAH not being a regular part of your life anymore (like it's doing for me) and if so, was that something you were aware of when deciding to create SPONT and choosing who you'd invite on? Or is it apples and oranges to you because of the format being so different? Thanks from all the Adventurekateers and Spontonians!

This show was not created as a response to TAH ending, but I certainly knew that I wanted to have as many of those people involved as I could possibly get. I love them all and it does indeed help to get to see & play with so many of them on a semi-regular basis. A lot of them I'd only really ever see once a month; now I'm seeing them more than I did before.

FOR FUN AND WHIMSY

• Like 7