🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Paul -

At your live Largo shows (I was lucky/smart enough to attend the August recording with Tom Lennon), you introduce the improvisors before the guest. I liked how the interview with the guest was then closer to the improv, and more details from your interview seemed to make it into the story. Have you ever thought of trying that structure during the studio recordings?

To say I love the show is an understatement!

- Rich

Paul -

At your live Largo shows (I was lucky/smart enough to attend the August recording with Tom Lennon), you introduce the improvisors before the guest. I liked how the interview with the guest was then closer to the improv, and more details from your interview seemed to make it into the story. Have you ever thought of trying that structure during the studio recordings?

To say I love the show is an understatement!

- Rich

Switching up the order of introductions/conversations has less to do with it than the live factor, I think. We've had plenty of studio eps that include lots of details form the interviews,but they don't necessarily have the same impact. Live shows are just a whole different thing. Also, the location that Tom came up with that night came from a conversation we had in the dressing room before the show even started, so there's no guarantee that any segments need to be closer together for memory's sake.

I am glad you love the show! Thank you!

• Like 2

Hi, Paul

I'm wondering if you've ever heard of a podcast called Illusionoid. It's another narrative improv show but this one is focused on science fiction elements. There are 3 improvisers but occasionally they have guests (most notably they've had Colin Mochrie). If you haven't already then I think you might be interested in listening to it. If you have then you can forget I said this. That's all for now.

Where is the opening interview question for Andy Daly at podfest going to come from? Won't it throw off the order if it's the question from the last episode you recorded, since the podfest ep will be "released" first? This is troubling me more than it probably should!

Where is the opening interview question for Andy Daly at podfest going to come from? Won't it throw off the order if it's the question from the last episode you recorded, since the podfest ep will be "released" first? This is troubling me more than it probably should!

The same could be said for all of the live episodes. Sure, this one will be available live (and shortly thereafter) to more people than a typical live episode, but I don't think that's enough reason to change the approach.

The same could be said for all of the live episodes. Sure, this one will be available live (and shortly thereafter) to more people than a typical live episode, but I don't think that's enough reason to change the approach.

But those live episodes are later released free through earwolf (in the proper order), do we know that the podfest episode will be?

I had assumed it wouldn't since unlike the largo eps, everyone has the ability to pay for these, but I don't really know so I probably shouldn't assume anything.

Most/all of the Earwolf recordings from past LA Podfests have been released as regular episodes, albeit a few weeks later (presumably to give paid users a chance to watch them first.) That said, Paul has stockpiled enough episodes that I imagine the LA Podfest show wouldn't air until November at the earliest.

Why do you limit the suggestions to locations?

If you get something that's just weird that might be unworkable would you try to roll with it?

How bad would a guest have to muff a suggestion for you to tell them 'Nope. Try again.' (much more diplomatically, of course)?

The transition sound effects have been a good part of the show, despite how often they have to be described (a necessity, of course). Have you thought of any other unique additions you could make to an improv format where everything is recorded? Like, for instance, Horatio's show has audio added in post-production. It's probably not something that works for this show, but it's just an example of a strength of this format.

A location is, I think, the fastest was to get into a story. I also just like it the best.

If you get something that's just weird that might be unworkable would you try to roll with it?

How bad would a guest have to muff a suggestion for you to tell them 'Nope. Try again.' (much more diplomatically, of course)?

I believe this has been asked and answered IN THIS VERY THREAD!

• Like 1

The transition sound effects have been a good part of the show, despite how often they have to be described (a necessity, of course). Have you thought of any other unique additions you could make to an improv format where everything is recorded? Like, for instance, Horatio's show has audio added in post-production. It's probably not something that works for this show, but it's just an example of a strength of this format.

I would never say never in terms of changing the elements of the show, but one thing I can tell you is, there will be no post production on this show, apart from fixing any mistaken plugs-- wrong dates, canceled shows, that sort of thing.

In terms of post-production FX, with all due respect to the great Mr. Sanz, no one is going to do it better than Superego. Of course, I might be biased.

Sorry about having to repeatedly describe the SFX and congratulations on your obviously PERFECT LIFE.

• Like 2

Do you think the full majesty of the live shows could ever be produced as a HOWLâ„¢ Premiumâ„¢ exclusive? Like in full video? Just asking as someone who lives nowhere near CA, but would spend all my baby's diaper money to see Spont Live.

• Like 1

Do you think the full majesty of the live shows could ever be produced as a HOWLâ„¢ Premiumâ„¢ exclusive? Like in full video? Just asking as someone who lives nowhere near CA, but would spend all my baby's diaper money to see Spont Live.

I would love that. I'll investigate it. But I'd guess it's come up before and there are logistical nightmares involved.

• Like 4

Paul if I guess the correct Smiths and Joy Division songs you sang at the live shows in 3 tries will you confirm if I'm right?

• Like 1

Paul if I guess the correct Smiths and Joy Division songs you sang at the live shows in 3 tries will you confirm if I'm right?

Since this information is already available online, I bet I won't!

• Like 4

I would love that. I'll investigate it. But I'd guess it's come up before and there are logistical nightmares involved.

Doesn't Largo prohibit filming? I feel like that was something they mentioned in the Tig documentary on Netflix. I'd LOVE to see a live SPONT recording, though. I'm sure it's totally delightful.

Doesn't Largo prohibit filming? I feel like that was something they mentioned in the Tig documentary on Netflix. I'd LOVE to see a live SPONT recording, though. I'm sure it's totally delightful.

Largo has called a moratorium on full-on film crews coming in-- one of the last things to be shot there was the Thrilling Adventure Hour concert film-- but a live-stream setup could be far less intrusive. It's worth asking!

• Like 3

You might be interested in purchasing a pass to watch the archived LA PodFest show. Andy Daly's poor penmanship sent us all on an unexpected journey! Or you could wait until December...

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I meant to tell you this in person, but we'll see if I can twist it into a relevant question.

Many of us here on the Internet are so happy that you're working with Nathan Diffee. From the beginning, we looked forward to his posters every week, and got to know him online. When you hired him, we were so excited, and it's been great to hear your shout-outs to him on the show. He is a great guy and a talented one, and he deserves all the good things coming to him. He's a hero to his fellow Spont/PFT fans, and it's fun to wonder what you guys will come up with next.

Now, a relevant question...

At the shows, and the poster choices: "Savannah, Georgia", "Pigeon and Friends" and what else? Do you also have the poster that is made to promote that specific live show? Like will you have THIS ONE available at the live show on October 3rd?

After the show actually happens, I'm guessing Diffee will probably make a new poster for the episode, but I guess that's more of a question for him.

Thanks, as always.

Liz

Many of us here on the Internet are so happy that you're working with Nathan Diffee.

Diffo is terrific! I am loving his episode art. And I am really enjoying his ideas and collaborating with him on the live show posters.

At the shows, and the poster choices: "Savannah, Georgia", "Pigeon and Friends" and what else? Do you also have the poster that is made to promote that specific live show? Like will you have THIS ONE available at the live show on October 3rd?

Yes-- at the live shows, we sell the poster for that particular show, so the one you linked to will be for sale! And wait til you see the one for November....

• Like 1

And wait til you see the one for November....

Thanks for the answer - can't wait to see it! I'm hoping to make it out there again before too long. :D

Would you ever consider a Spontaneanation / Drunk History crossover, just in the sense that everyone gets tipsy for the recording? If I remember correctly, Colleen Smith already suggested something like this.

Is there any way you could bring Nick Nolte with you on your next CBB appearance?

Thanks for all of the laughs, you're the best showman I know of.

• Like 1

If Elves were real, do you think they'd like your show? Would you try to cater the show to them at all? Finally, is there a fictional race you're already attempting to woo with this Spontaneous Nation of yours?

P.S. I really like all of your shows and you're very funny and sometimes it's overwhelming.

I'm a dumb hick from Ohio, so the only exposure I have to good improv is through podcasts (so thank you!). Prior to Spont, the only other improv-based podcast I listened to were Improv4Humans and Superego. I've noticed that the tone of the improv is typically broad and silly from the start, whereas typically with I4H and SE it starts more naturalistic and grows sillier as the game develops. Was this a conscious decision you made when thinking up the structure/tone of the podcast, or just something that happens naturally because of the vibe in the room? (This isn't a slam or anything, just an observation. I really appreciate this thread as someone who is interested in improv but doesn't have a lot of resources where I live)