🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Maybe this has been asked already but:

Who operates the cut-to/flashback/etc. sound effects? Is it you solely, any improviser, or a mysterious third party (such as a ghost)? And, props to this person for their fleet and intelligent fingers.

This has been asked and answered! A couple times!

Happy hunting!

I wonder if Eban just doesn't want to talk? I got the impression he told that story during the break but didn't want to say it "on air" himself?

Paul, is Eban Schletter's deep dark secret that he has a scary Harvey Keitel voice with a wildly unlikely accent?

I had the pleasure of speaking with Eban at PodFest - he has the sweetest personality with a voice to match. <3

• Like 1

Hey Paul, big ups etc. etc.

Edit - well turns out my question has already been answered in general, but please keep the big ups.

Hi Paul !

At the live shows, I've noticed that the guests write their improv locations and questions into a notebook. Do any of the guests also draw/doodle in the notebook ? Have you ever misplaced or lost the notebook ?

Pretty much just looking for any notebook-related anecdotes you might have up your sleeve.

Thanks !

• Like 1

At the live shows, I've noticed that the guests write their improv locations and questions into a notebook. Do any of the guests also draw/doodle in the notebook ? Have you ever misplaced or lost the notebook?

No one has drawn in it yet! But Lauren Lapkus did write, "I hate how my handwriting looks here" on her page. I have not yet lost or misplaced The Book but am always afraid that I will. It seems inevitable. I have, on a few occasions, had to procure questions via text from people who left the studio without writing them. In all of these instances I later was able to bring The Book to them and have them write their questions on their page in their own handwriting.

• Like 5

No one has drawn in it yet! But Lauren Lapkus did write, "I hate how my handwriting looks here" on her page. I have not yet lost or misplaced The Book but am always afraid that I will. It seems inevitable. I have, on a few occasions, had to procure questions via text from people who left the studio without writing them. In all of these instances I later was able to bring The Book to them and have them write their questions on their page in their own handwriting.

Do you have plans for The Book once it has been completely filled?

Also, I noticed earlier in this thread that you said poor Eban had to lug his piano back and forth to the studio for every recording session. Is that still the case today?

Would you ever consider using different sources for scene inspiration, meaning other than a location?

Do you have plans for The Book once it has been completely filled?

Also, I noticed earlier in this thread that you said poor Eban had to lug his piano back and forth to the studio for every recording session. Is that still the case today?

I do not know what I'll do with The Book! And yeah, Eban has to bring a keyboard to Earwolf, but it's walking distance from his studio, and he's got it compressed down into a tidy little rig. If you see him ion the street, say hi!

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Do you think you will ever incorporate any parts of your monologues into your stand-up? Or would you rather just leave them as a one-time thing? Either way, they consistently make my Monday mornings one trillion percent better.

Is that a new logo I see? It's fantastic! A Diffo original, I assume?

<3 Liz

Is that a new logo I see? It's fantastic! A Diffo original, I assume?

<3 Liz

This was put up too soon! It was supposed to debut with Episode 53 (the beginning of Spontaneanation's second year). Please be conscientious, friends!

This was put up too soon! It was supposed to debut with Episode 53 (the beginning of Spontaneanation's second year). Please be conscientious, friends!

Aw man! I'm sorry! I wont spread it until you reveal it.

Ah shit I feel like a real dunderhead for tweeting you Paul - I saw the new logo and was excited and wanted to pass that along to you.

I deleted my tweet, and congratulations to Spontaneanation on being the most lovable big bellied poddler marching around warming everyone's insides with its whimsy and unexpected silliness.

I have a joke question about the sound effects:

If you wanted to do a Lost-style flash-sideways to what would happen if you were all dead and in purgatory, which sound effect would you use?

And for my serious question:

Is that piano at Largo ever out of tune?

Hey there Paul, does the current week's guest have any idea to whom they are asking the all-important question for the following week? I bet not!

Dear Mr. Tompkins,

On several podcasts like Sponteneanation and Comedy Bang Bang, you have encouraged listeners to watch 'No, You Shut Up!' either on Fusion or online. Well, I cannot speak for the rest of humanity, but I love this show. It's the best political satire occurring anywhere right now, plus it's absolutely hilarious. Plus it has puppets. And a gentlemen in a suit with a fabulous mustache. Your recent segment with Reza Aslan managed to dissect the horror that is Donald Trump, comment on the disgustingly irresponsible media coverage of the election, and be laugh-out-loud funny. It's a brilliant show, top-to-bottom, and I watch every episode.

So... I guess my question is, can you just do the show forever? It would make the world a better, funnier, and smarter place. Thank you.

• Like 6

Hey there Paul, does the current week's guest have any idea to whom they are asking the all-important question for the following week? I bet not!

You won!

• Like 1

Hello Paul! Does it make sense to turn Eban up just a little bit in the mix? He is a delight, but regrettably I find that I am often unable to discern many of the melodies and riffs that seem to delight and occasionally unnerve you? Thank you so much for the great work that you do.

• Like 1

This question is for Paul: Paul, assuming they have been recorded, might you consider releasing select musical performances from SPONTANEANATION LIVE as an album, possibly for charity (à la the Comedy Death Ray Xmas CD) or a Howl™ exclusive?

• Like 3

You have at least one fan from the Blue Mountains Australia. Top that other forum-members.

Otago, New Zealand

Was privileged to see Paul & co in Wellington last year :)

Congratulations on Spontaneanation's birthday

Is there a list of all Spont affiliated URLs/Sponsors?

May I please ask the likelihood of a live Spontaneantion on the next JoCo cruise?

Are there any plans to expand the range of logo-emblazoned merchandise?

This question is for Paul: Paul, assuming they have been recorded, might you consider releasing select musical performances from SPONTANEANATION LIVE as an album, possibly for charity (à la the Comedy Death Ray Xmas CD) or a Howl™ exclusive?

That's a real maybe. It'd depend on the quality of the performances & sound and getting music clearances. We shall see!

• Like 2

Otago, New Zealand

Was privileged to see Paul & co in Wellington last year :)

Kia Ora!

Congratulations on Spontaneanation's birthday

Thank you!

Is there a list of all Spont affiliated URLs/Sponsors?

I do not know if such a list exists!

May I please ask the likelihood of a live Spontaneantion on the next JoCo cruise?

Likelihood is low, I'm afraid. I haven't yet committed to the cruise for 2017 because I'm not quite sure what my life will be that time next year. It depends on a few different projects whose outcomes have yet to be determined. Also, since I just did the podcast on this last cruise, I'll probably want to do something different next time.

Are there any plans to expand the range of logo-emblazoned merchandise?

Yes! More soon.

• Like 3