🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays--Week 3--Tommy

Nah, man. They kill him in via lamp in front of Tommy. That's what fucks him up--or at least--that's a huge part of what fucks him up.

No ghost dad would do that to you Cameron. just ask bill cosby.

The fisherman on the right pulling in the net, just before Tommy runs into the surf (1.59), looks just like Sean Connery in either Zardoz or Highlander 2. I choose to believe it really is him.

there you go lad, you won yourself a price!

14471gp.jpg

so that's what he does in his spare time, I've gone fishing! Could enjoy myself if it wasn't for those dam hippy's running around the beach.

do they have high liner fish and chips in the states? it's kind of a joke here because it's all inported from over seas and none of it is fished here in Canada. EVEN if it's got the made in Canada label. It was on a marketplacet program on The CBC.

• Like 2

That said: the one scene I found MOST disturbing was the fuckin' beans (and, to a lesser extent, the chocolate) during "Champagne." I felt so bad for Ann-Margret. Here she is - a well-known actress at the time - and they're like, "yeah, wallow around in these goddamn beans." I can't believe she wasn't like, "Bitch, I was in Viva Las Vega. You wallow around in the beans." I wonder how many times she had to wash her hair to get all the beans out of it.

Enough washes to cover THREE DAYS at least...

The famous scene in which Ann-Margret's character hallucinates that she is cavorting in detergent foam, baked beans, and chocolate reportedly took three days to shoot. According to Russell, the detergent and baked bean sequences were "revenge" parodies of real-life TV advertisements he had directed early in his career, although the baked bean sequence also references one of the cover photos and a parody radio ad from The Who's 1967 album The Who Sell Out. Russell also recalled that Ann-Margret's husband, Roger Smith, strongly objected to the scene in which she slithers around in melted chocolate. During the filming, Ann-Margret accidentally struck her hand on the broken glass of the TV screen, causing a severe laceration, and Russell had to take her to hospital to have the wound stitched, although she was back on set the next day.
  • Like 1

Ann-Margaret did not deserve three days and a hospital trip for that shit.

Also I'd like to point out that that must have been some damn good champagne for her to hallucinate like that after drinking it.

• Like 3

Interestingly enough, when Ann-Margret got close enough to sniff her Oscar for Tommy, the award was presented by Princess Di and Cuervo Jones!

I know who it is really, shut up and let me have my joke

• Like 4

I know who it is really, shut up and let me have my joke

What the fuck, man?! That's Charles Bronson!

• Like 3

Whoa, whoa, whoa--not to take anything away from Ann-Margaret, but she was up against Nurse Ratched? I mean, that's no contest, right?

• Like 3

It's funny tomspanks hasn't had anything to say so far. Do you think he might actually be the titular "Tommy" of the film and is upset that we haven't exactly been effusive with praise?

Tomspanks, can you hear me?

• Like 7

Holy shitballs, I only just this second realised that the Orange on a Toothpick from 'Axe Murderer' is also Averman from 'The Mighty Ducks'. Worlds collide.

• Like 1

It's funny tomspanks hasn't had anything to say so far. Do you think he might actually be the titular "Tommy" of the film and is upset that we haven't exactly been effusive with praise?

Maybe Tom's all, You didn't hear it,

you didn't see it.

You won't say nothing to no one,

ever in your life.

You never heard it.

Oh how absurd it

all seems without any proof.

You didn't hear it,

you didn't see it.

You never heard it, not a word of it.

You won't say nothing to no one.

Never tell a soul

what you know is the Truth.

• Like 4

Heavy-handed symbolism aside, if there was an actual church that featured Eric Clapton as a Preacher, tons of free booze, and giant pop art statues of Marilyn Monroe, I think I'd make I make it my mission to attend services at Our Divine Lady of the Bacchanalia every Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLEGbFSOwQ&list=RDpzLEGbFSOwQ

• Like 2

Whoa, whoa, whoa--not to take anything away from Ann-Margaret, but she was up against Nurse Ratched? I mean, that's no contest, right?

Oh, definitely no contest. Louise Fletcher is amazing!

• Like 3

Heavy-handed symbolism aside, if there was an actual church that featured Eric Clapton as a Preacher, tons of free booze, and giant pop art statues of Marilyn Monroe, I think I'd make I make it my mission to attend services at Our Divine Lady of the Bacchanalia every Sunday.

I definitely thought that was a big highlight of the movie. I would worship Marilyn Monroe in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

Ann-Margaret did not deserve three days and a hospital trip for that shit.

Also I'd like to point out that that must have been some damn good champagne for her to hallucinate like that after drinking it.

The champagne would do it more likely then the beans, I think her rolling around in the beans was for the British! They like that sort of thing.

Elvis in HD is kind of scary! LOL I was watching Viva las Vegas, hands down best Elvis movie. second best is "Jailhouse Rock" third was "

" but watching him in HD is something is really goddam strange. it's almost too much Elvis! I got force to watch those movies with my sister and her friend who was a Las Vegas Elvis impersonator. He would only do the young Elvis and he told me all about the films he loved and what was good and what was crap. I learned way too much about Elvis at the point and it would be not too long after that we would ask my sister to please come home and forget Vegas.

His best real movie was 69 comeback special, and if you've never seen it you should force yourself to do it. it's Elvis at his best and you see the true Elvis before he got fat and screwed up with drug abuse.

What the fuck, man?! That's Charles Bronson!

Later that evening Charles Bronson,. pulled out a gun and demanded that Ann Margaret be given the Oscar! we all remember that don't we?

and that's why he was never was asked back!

Me during this whole scene...

eed5efa602121f5c381066a33659e9d2.jpg

ETA: I was also struck by how much Roger Daltry looks like a Muppet when he's running.

Don't know Cameron H, but for me. I've never taken acid but if I did If it wasn't like this I would be so disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGa70tVYVKo

• Like 2

If anyone here has any familiarity with the stage production I have a question. I thought I saw it was nominated for best book, but the film is a straight up opera with no book. Does having this help flesh out the film at all? I thought one of the things that this film lacked was an ease of narrative. The beginning is great with the story being set up under the overture, then the first few numbers flow and tell a story. However, it's around the time of the Acid Queen number that for me anyway I felt the film started leaving out or skipping story elements.

Like we have Frank who is running a camp. Then after Tommy's grown up he now runs a strip club? Or was he just hanging out there. Tommy was working there, so if Frank doesn't work there is he there for Tommy? What happened to his camp? Is this what he does in the off months? In addition to all this I felt that Ann Margret's character felt guilty for causing her son's psychosomatic state, and Oliver Reed was resentful for him for this fact. I mean this makes sense as to why he seemingly doesn't care about Tommy's well being as he gets older. However, did Tommy's state lead to him giving up the camp or something? I just felt like there was a song or a brief bit of dialogue needed to cover this large leap in time and change in characters.

• Like 3

She's here ;)

Like a few people mentioned, it also took me a while to decide on a musical. I thought about picking a Rodgers & Hammerstein or Disney musical, but Hedwig and Hairspray were such gems, I felt I had to throw in a HDTGM-worthy one. I've watched Tommy once before, probably 10+ years ago, and I totally forgot how awful this movie is, which is a shame because this movie should've been great, with music by The Who and an A-list cast. Maybe they shouldn't have cast Roger Daltry as Tommy. How old is Tommy supposed to be anyway? In the movie, he went from 5 years old to 30 years old and it was jarring. Ann-Margret was only 3 years older than Roger Daltry and it totally showed.

The baked beans scene grossed me out so much. I couldn't help thinking about how foul the smell must have been. Poor Ann-Margret.

Perhaps even more WTF than the Uncle Ernie scene is what Pete Townsend had to say about it.

"He gets everything in a very pure, filtered, unadulterated, unfucked-up manner. Like when his uncle rapes him – he is incredibly elated, not disgusted, at being homosexually raped. He takes it as a move of total affection, not feeling the reasons why. Lust is a lower form of love, like atomic attraction is a lower form of love. He gets an incredible spiritual push from it where most people would get a spiritual retardment, constantly thinking about this terrible thing that's happened to them.

"In Tommy's mind, everything is incredible, meaningless beauty."

• Like 5

If anyone here has any familiarity with the stage production I have a question. I thought I saw it was nominated for best book, but the film is a straight up opera with no book. Does having this help flesh out the film at all? I thought one of the things that this film lacked was an ease of narrative. The beginning is great with the story being set up under the overture, then the first few numbers flow and tell a story. However, it's around the time of the Acid Queen number that for me anyway I felt the film started leaving out or skipping story elements.

Like we have Frank who is running a camp. Then after Tommy's grown up he now runs a strip club? Or was he just hanging out there. Tommy was working there, so if Frank doesn't work there is he there for Tommy? What happened to his camp? Is this what he does in the off months? In addition to all this I felt that Ann Margret's character felt guilty for causing her son's psychosomatic state, and Oliver Reed was resentful for him for this fact. I mean this makes sense as to why he seemingly doesn't care about Tommy's well being as he gets older. However, did Tommy's state lead to him giving up the camp or something? I just felt like there was a song or a brief bit of dialogue needed to cover this large leap in time and change in characters.

I was just reading this. In the stage version, Mr. Walker kills Frank.

• Like 3

Perhaps even more WTF than the Uncle Ernie scene is what Pete Townsend had to say about it.

"He gets everything in a very pure, filtered, unadulterated, unfucked-up manner. Like when his uncle rapes him – he is incredibly elated, not disgusted, at being homosexually raped. He takes it as a move of total affection, not feeling the reasons why. Lust is a lower form of love, like atomic attraction is a lower form of love. He gets an incredible spiritual push from it where most people would get a spiritual retardment, constantly thinking about this terrible thing that's happened to them.

Oh, fuck you, Townshend

• Like 4

giphy.gif

• Like 4

She's here ;)

Ah-There I go making an ass out of the both of us :)/>

As far as that Townsend quote, I really wish some people would keep their damn mouths shut.

• Like 2