🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 158 - Body Parts: LIVE!

^wow, a spoiler that's actually really a spoiler.

And I loved that.

tumblr_mcd3swU45L1ry12nb.gif

Jk - I didn't hate it, but it was such a dafuq? moment. It was a miss for me. Overall though, S2 was excellent tv.

• Like 3

Someone who acting was maybe second to their skills.

Are you suggesting he got hired for his acting chops? I can assure you, that is the saddest thing I've ever heard.

I laughed out loud. I think the IF people think that they DID cast him for his acting. They heard GoT was a good show so they assumed anyone on it would be good? Maybe? But I've seen episodes of Power Rangers with better fights than "Iron Fist" had. I was really expecting some sweet martial arts moves.

For the record, I would have watched THE FUCK out of an Iron Fist series if Steven Seagal was the lead.

Young Seagal or current Seagal? Ah fuck, both sound better than Finn Jones. I think we know who'd make the best Iron Fist though. The handsomest man in the world!

giphy.gif

It also makes me wonder who is involved with the making of the Defenders, which I assume is close to completion for the release later this year.

THE DEFENDERS recently wrapped filming. Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez, who did "Daredevil" season 2, are the creative team. They said the other showrunners had "input on how their characters would act" but here's hoping that the Iron Fist guy was ignored.

• Like 4

I laughed out loud. I think the IF people think that they DID cast him for his acting. They heard GoT was a good show so they assumed anyone on it would be good? Maybe? But I've seen episodes of Power Rangers with better fights than "Iron Fist" had. I was really expecting some sweet martial arts moves.

I think the one good thing that will come from this whole debacle is that Marvel (and hopefully DC too) will realize that casting based strictly on what a character's race is in a comic book doesn't help anyone. Everywhere I go, "I see Lewis Tan should have been Iron Fist." I hope this is the kick in the ass they need to start casting based on talent and ability rather than something stupid like whether or not a person's hair is naturally blond.

• Like 3

What can I say? We all have our kinks. How I choose to spend my disposable time is how I spend it. I barely watch television as it is. What Iron Fist had going, for me, was a live action version of one of my favorite characters. Just based on that makes it worth it to me, but it was also made by a studio I trust, by a company I like, a Network I enjoy, and is wrapped in a mythos that I'm interested in keeping up with. There was also a certain degree of hype (good and bad) surrounding it. It also bares mentioning, it wasn't just bland, it was terrible. Which, as you might guess, I'm kind of into.

It has also led to a very fun conversation (for me anyway) with other likeminded people.

Comparatively, I can't stand what Fox has done with the X-Men, could give a shit about Legion as a character, and aside from you (and I guess Taylor) I haven't heard too much hype about it. As I've said before, I did try it and it didn't stick. Again, I'm sure (quality-wise) it's miles ahead of IF, but just because something is "good" or "better" doesn't mean I have to like it.

But that's me, man. I may be a lost cause. I hope it continues to do well. I have nothing against it. :)

No worries, I didnt mean to make you justify your viewing habits, because lord knows I can't, I watched every season of Under the Dome. I also have the added benefit of getting very little sleep which allows for significant cinematic freedom.

I'm just doing my part to brow beat people into watching shows that deserve a wide audience. I fucking loved Hannibal and was always bummed it didnt get the ratings it needed to continue, I would have loved to see Bryan Fullers take on Buffalo Bill. My apologies for going a bit overboard in my support of Legion, just know it comes from wanting to see a great show succeed.

I agree about the X-men, I will say that Legion is more like Logan and Deadpool in terms of the studios giving them alot of freedom to do what they want and the results being awesome.

And if anything your not enjoying Legion only makes me feel better about thinking Snowpiercer was hot nonsense.

• Like 2

No worries, I didnt mean to make you justify your viewing habits, because lord knows I can't, I watched every season of Under the Dome. I also have the added benefit of getting very little sleep which allows for significant cinematic freedom.

I'm just doing my part to brow beat people into watching shows that deserve a wide audience. I fucking loved Hannibal and was always bummed it didnt get the ratings it needed to continue, I would have loved to see Bryan Fullers take on Buffalo Bill. My apologies for going a bit overboard in my support of Legion, just know it comes from wanting to see a great show succeed.

I agree about the X-men, I will say that Legion is more like Logan and Deadpool in terms of the studios giving them alot of freedom to do what they want and the results being awesome.

And if anything your not enjoying Legion only makes me feel better about thinking Snowpiercer was hot nonsense.

No problem! And I don't want you to think I was upset. I like a good debate and just talking about why we like certain things and not others.

I will say this: you've got me at least interested in trying it again. Probably not anytime soon, but someday. :)

• Like 1

Just like I too will eventually break and watch Iron Fist. I'll say this though. When I read up on the origins of the Iron Fist character and how he got his powers, all I could think is that there's no possible way that show can afford the effects to do that any iota of justice.

I am curious if they'll ever attempt to film that scene in subsequent seasons.

• Like 1

I think the one good thing that will come from this whole debacle is that Marvel (and hopefully DC too) will realize that casting based strictly on what a character's race is in a comic book doesn't help anyone. Everywhere I go, "I see Lewis Tan should have been Iron Fist." I hope this is the kick in the ass they need to start casting based on talent and ability rather than something stupid like whether or not a person's hair is naturally blond.

I'm somewhat torn on this, because while "the best for the job" should absolutely be the deciding factor, but I'm also quite firm in the belief of faithful recreations.

Case in point, they're making a movie for Sleeping Dogs, one of my all time favourite games, absolutely love it. Sleeping Dogs is about an undercover cop by the name of 'Wei Shen', who returns home to Hong Kong to infiltrate the Triads. However, he begins rising up the ranks, and quickly becomes a 'red pole' (one of the bosses, but not the big boss), and then there's this element of whether he's gotten too deep into the Triads and has become one, or if he's still a cop.

Luckily, Donnie Yen (who, at 53 is perhaps a little old for the part, but that's minor) is taking the main role of Wei Shen. However, if they'd have said "Yeah, we're making Sleeping Dogs, but Wei Shen will now be played by Scott Adkins, and will be called 'Wayne Shannon' and we're gonna have it where he was born there when Hong Kong was a UK territory", I'd have been PISSED. I prefer to see the thing that I love made into a movie as I remember them.

However, at the same time, Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption, Will Smith as Agent J, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Denzel Washington as The Equalizer, they were all great in those roles.

So, I'm torn on it all.

I'm somewhat torn on this, because while "the best for the job" should absolutely be the deciding factor, but I'm also quite firm in the belief of faithful recreations.

Case in point, they're making a movie for Sleeping Dogs, one of my all time favourite games, absolutely love it. Sleeping Dogs is about an undercover cop by the name of 'Wei Shen', who returns home to Hong Kong to infiltrate the Triads. However, he begins rising up the ranks, and quickly becomes a 'red pole' (one of the bosses, but not the big boss), and then there's this element of whether he's gotten too deep into the Triads and has become one, or if he's still a cop.

Luckily, Donnie Yen (who, at 53 is perhaps a little old for the part, but that's minor) is taking the main role of Wei Shen. However, if they'd have said "Yeah, we're making Sleeping Dogs, but Wei Shen will now be played by Scott Adkins, and will be called 'Wayne Shannon' and we're gonna have it where he was born there when Hong Kong was a UK territory", I'd have been PISSED. I prefer to see the thing that I love made into a movie as I remember them.

However, at the same time, Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption, Will Smith as Agent J, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Denzel Washington as The Equalizer, they were all great in those roles.

So, I'm torn on it all.

I really don't want to get too into this, but what you seem to be talking about is white-washing which is a different issue.

The thing is, being "white" isn't Danny Rand's core character trait. He's a kid who crash lands in the Himylayas and gets trained in martial arts by a bunch of monks who consider him an outsider. Despite not fully accepting him, he manages to become their best fighter, but instead of staying there to protect them (i.e his job), he returns to his old life where he is also an outsider. Nothing in that description is "he's white and he talks about being white all the time so it's important that he's white." It's not the David Duke story.

As a fan of the character, of course I had an image of what he looks like (you may have seen the pics), but I would have preferred they hired someone who could convincingly pull of the roll (*coughLewis Tancough*) then just hire a guy because he sort of looks like a character created back in the Seventies (and as Cam Bert pointed out, not even all that much.)

I really wanted to like the show, and I believe I even defended the show before it came out by saying, "They haven't steered us wrong yet." I had hoped, given their track record, they knew what they were doing. I was wrong.

And finally, even as a fan of the character, I recognize that the Average Joe and Jane on the street don't know anything about Iron Fist. Had you just said, "He's an Asian Kung Fu Artist" they would have been like, "Yeah, okay. I can't wait for the show."

• Like 1

I really don't want to get too into this, but what you seem to be talking about is white-washing which is a different issue.

The thing is, being "white" isn't Danny Rand's core character trait. He's a kid who crash lands in the Himylayas who gets trained in martial arts by a bunch of monks who consider him an outsider. Despite not fully accepting him, he manages to become their best fighter, but instead of staying there to protect them (i.e his job), he returns to his old life where he is also an outsider. Nothing in that description is "he's white and he talks about being white all the time so it's important that he's white." It's not the David Duke story.

As a fan of the character, of course I had an image of what he looks like (you may have seen the pics), but I would have preferred they hired someone who could convincingly pull of the roll (*coughLewis Tancough*) then just hire a guy because he sort of looks like a character created back in the Seventies (and as Cam Bert pointed out, not even all that much.)

I really wanted to like the show, and I believe I even defended the show before it came out by saying, "They haven't steered us wrong yet." I had hoped, given their track record, they knew what they were doing. I was wrong.

And finally, even as a fan of the character, I recognize that the Average Joe and Jane on the street don't know anything about Iron Fist. Had you just said, "He's an Asian Kung Fu Artist" they would have been like, "Yeah, okay. I can't wait for the show."

Thats kind of why I'm torn on it.

Like the whole thing with Jamie Foxx playing Little John in this new Robin Hood film that's coming up, Little John is a giant, who was known as this phenominally strong warrior, so casting Jamie Foxx in that role is a werid choice. But on the other hand, Jamie Foxx is also an Oscar winning actor, so he's probably not going to do a shitty job.

Thats kind of why I'm torn on it.

Like the whole thing with Jamie Foxx playing Little John in this new Robin Hood film that's coming up, Little John is a giant, who was known as this phenominally strong warrior, so casting Jamie Foxx in that role is a werid choice. But on the other hand, Jamie Foxx is also an Oscar winning actor, so he's probably not going to do a shitty job.

Aaaand now I want a Terry Crews Little John.

• Like 4

Aaaand now I want a Terry Crews Little John.

I want Terry Crews in EVERYTHING.

I wish there was Terry Crews/Rob Riggle buddy cop comedy.

But for Little John, you'd need someone even bigger than Terry Crews. So it'd probably have to be Shaq.

I've just looked at the cast for this new Robin Hood movie, and it doesn't make a lick of sense. Will Scarlet (Jamie Dornan) is not only the older brother of Robin Hood (Taron Egerton), he's also married to Maid Marian. Tim Minchin is Friar Tuck, that should tell you everything, and Little John is 5'9". It's like they're not even trying.

• Like 1

Tim Minchin is Friar Tuck, that should tell you everything

Ummm...that sounds like the best part of it, honestly.

I'm playing catch-up because I got really behind on my podcast consumption, but I had two takeaways here:

1) When they kept calling the surgeon "The woman from Sherlock," you have no idea how disappointed I was when I discovered it wasn't Mrs. Hudson. I don't tend to watch them beforehand, have occasionally seen them in the past (Hackers, a movie I actually really enjoy, and a few others), and on very rare occasions, end up seeking them out. So you know, in my mind, it was Mrs. Hudson the badass evil surgeon.

2) Claudia and Jason have a very similar sense of humor. "I was edging the entire time" sounds even funnier in an Australian accent.