🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 192 - Striptease: LIVE!

As for Carl Hiasen, I've always felt he was the poor man's Elmore Leonard, in that he could create some pretty off the wall and humorous stories mixed with crime and thriller elements, but he could never really sew it so perfectly like Leonard could.

Hiaasen is not on Elmore Leonard's level for sure, but who is? But in fairness, Elmore Leonard suffered from a lot of misfiring films of his books by people who couldn't get the tone right. I think Hiaasen deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

Man, I had some HILARIOUS insect word play all lined up ...and then Earwolf had to go and fix their forums.

Now how am I going to work involuntary Mantis-slaughter into a conversation?

Compared to murder mantis-slaughter is the lesser of two weevils

• Like 5

Goddamn that one was good...

• Like 2

Of course! We'll be hiring only the best! The ideal candidate will be an entomological expert with a stable job history in the field of in arthropod and insect forensics. They should be weird and a little nerdy, but in a quirky sort of way that's endearing. The kind of person you're not too sure about at first, but kind of grows on you after a couple of seasons over time. They'll check lividity, perform toxicology reports, and be an expert on all the major shoe treads.

"Cameron and Cameron Attorneys at Law: We'll Bee on your side!"

i assume they will OF COURSE eat during the autopsies or eat in the morgue as this seems to be a weird trope. I'm sure all kinds of wacky hijinks will ensue.

• Like 2

Either way with Cameron and Cameron by your side they will help you worm your way out of doing time!

• Like 5

Goddamn that one was good...

In fairness I had a day or so to think of it

• Like 2

I would read the shit out of that just FYI.

I'll have to admit I'm not totally positive I'm sure which "that" you're referring to but I'm assuming it's the ballerina's? To which I honestly am not 100% about, but I learned specifically about Degas when our professor started asking us who our favorite artists were and then told us all a story about how they actually kinda suck lol. I picked Degas and learned he basically used women for his selfish gain and hung out primarily with the ballerinas because they were just a step above sex workers at the time so he didn't have to totally tarnish his image for his paintings and sex.

But I also think you mean women in art and the dichotomy of madonna and whore? In that case, I also can't say with 100% all knowing fact, but there is so much evidence going as far back as the 4th century. Here's a fun image of Mary and Jesus from Rome dating that very century!

VirgenNino.jpg

I didn't even know about Picasso and all of his bull shit until Hannah Gadsby's special on Netflix. We briefly touched on his art style, yes, but no one ever got into his life like some others. I bet if I had majored in Art History rather than minored I would have eventually found it all out.

Yup. It's why I'm very much all aboard the "representation matters!" train because there's so much genuine history that shows the weight of how we look at people in the media we're presented.

Sorry for the late reply taylor anne, but I have been rather frazzled with work, but yes I was referring to the Madonna/Whore dynamic in general and how some artists were more dedicated to representing with honestly and respect in art than others. I'm only going by what Walter Isaacson said in his biography, but Leonardo Da Vinci, for example, seemed utterly fascinated by his portrait subject, almost in love with them (in a platonic way). He frequently turned down or avoided work with more wealthy clients when he wasn't interested in them as people. I know he frequently did gigs for straight cash (especially his design and engineering work) as well, but he was such an enigma in a lot of ways, he remains fascinating.

That is very unfortunate about Degas being such a tool. I was talking to him with an art expert coworker of mine, and she relates that Degas was actually impotent and he would sort of get a delayed or vicarious sexual satisfaction from painting ballerinas and sex workers rather than actually engage with them physically. Any truth to that? Or did that come later in life?

And yes, Picasso was a fucking monster in his personal life. Fuck that guy.

• Like 4

Sorry for the late reply taylor anne, but I have been rather frazzled with work, but yes I was referring to the Madonna/Whore dynamic in general and how some artists were more dedicated to representing with honestly and respect in art than others. I'm only going by what Walter Isaacson said in his biography, but Leonardo Da Vinci, for example, seemed utterly fascinated by his portrait subject, almost in love with them (in a platonic way). He frequently turned down or avoided work with more wealthy clients when he wasn't interested in them as people. I know he frequently did gigs for straight cash (especially his design and engineering work) as well, but he was such an enigma in a lot of ways, he remains fascinating.

That is very unfortunate about Degas being such a tool. I was talking to him with an art expert coworker of mine, and she relates that Degas was actually impotent and he would sort of get a delayed or vicarious sexual satisfaction from painting ballerinas and sex workers rather than actually engage with them physically. Any truth to that? Or did that come later in life?

You know who was pretty chill from what little I know about him? Toulouse Lautrec. He worked with a lot of the sex workers and dance hall workers.From what I know of him he did sleep with some of the prostitutes but mostly he seemed to just be interested in them which might had to do with the fact he was disabled and he felt a kinship with people of a "lower class" even though he was technically a part of the French aristocracy.I have a set of temporary tattoos of some of his Moulin Rouge girls from when some of his work was at the Flint Institute of Art (which is actually really such a fun little museum and i drag everyone who comes to visit me to it. it's got a great collection and I cannot recommend it highly enough if you ever find yourself stuck in that town. Also the Detroit Institute of Arts is fucking AMAZING ) I know he was an alcoholic but honestly who wasn't back then ?

Fun fact: he was apparently a great cook and had a cookbook of his favorite recipes printed.

• Like 3

I can't claim that I know about Degas's sex life lol, but I remember my professor saying that he was basically obsessed with the ballerinas and sex workers because of sexual attraction so if he didn't engage with them physically or he did either way his view in painting them wasn't as innocent as I had thought it had been as a little girl. But he can't ruin my own personal attachment to his paintings.

• Like 1

I can't claim that I know about Degas's sex life lol, but I remember my professor saying that he was basically obsessed with the ballerinas and sex workers because of sexual attraction so if he didn't engage with them physically or he did either way his view in painting them wasn't as innocent as I had thought it had been as a little girl. But he can't ruin my own personal attachment to his paintings.

Yeah, the way I worded that question is pretty boneheaded. A lack of sexual potency never stopped anyone from sexual harassment or assault. Or just being a Big Ol' Creep (I know he was a notorious anti-Semite). However, I am glad you are still able to get meaning and something profound from his art. His paintings were rather gorgeous, and they capture the beauty and innocence of his subjects. It continues to fascinate me that art and artists can capture such beauty and humanity, even when created by monstrous people, from ancient Greeks to modern actors. I can't separate the art from the artists, but the art DOES live on after all the assholes are dead.

• Like 3