🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jshulte22

Character Drawings

The grim as shit campaign juxtaposed with the great goofy playing style of the gang allows for a myriad of possible interpretations:)

Yeah to me it has always been a band of jovial types who live in a dark world but take it with stride.

• Like 1

So I've been entertaining the thought of doing some character illustrations. To this end, yesterday I spent too much time on “research” to find out what gear the characters have. To save anyone else the trouble of having to figure this out, I thought it would be a helpful gesture to post my findings here. Please add and correct this list with your own knowledge, it'll help us all.

The episodes I looked into were the ones which memory served as being episodes which involved the characters finding (current) gear, or which had a character being introduced for the first time. These were episodes 1, 16, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 48 and 53.

ALL CHARACTERS:

---------------------------

[] “Sparklet” water-breathing necklaces. These are fine necklaces with a bead of water which slides along the length of the necklace with gravity, as a droplet would. This item is mentally triggered to have the droplet expand into a “water bag” around the character's head.

[] Winter clothing, looted from a village in a snow environment.

MILDRED MAXTON

----------------------------

Physical traits: Dwarf. She has some muscle (strength of 14 (2nd edition)). Her charisma is slightly above average at 13 (4th edition.. so I would venture to guess that the 2nd ed value is 12 or 13.) Don't be fooled by episode 1's suggestion that her CHA is 6, that's actually her wisdom. When they were looting the water world structure, Sarah clarified that Mildred's CHA is 13.

[] War hammer gifted by Bahamut. This looks similar to her old war hammer, with familiar nicks etc, but refurbished. It has a new head.

[] Plate mail gifted by Bahamut. This is a series of plates which cover only one arm, inclusive of her shoulder. It has a rail along the outside of her forearm, from elbow to wrist. A little disk is on the rail. If the disk is slid down and snapped in place on the outside of her wrist, a 4 inch, mirror-like disk appears. It has has an oil-spill, rainbow tint to it. This shield can be slid around onto her back or onto her wrist. There's some ambiguous description on the size of this shield... it's initially described as being 4 inches, and a few sentences later it is compared to a riot shield. I'm guessing that the “4 inches” is an initial projection, perhaps matching the size of the metal disk mechanism along the rails, and then it expands. But this is conjecture.

[] Chain mail looted from a water-world structure. It is “brighter than it should be.”

[] A fancy hat of detect lie. She hasn't normally been wearing this. I didn't find the episode where she acquired this (it was in the tower-planet I think), but I remember it as being very gaudy.

[] A featureless, silver ring looted from the water-world structure. It is enchanted to help ranged attacks.

[] A silver choker or necklace looted from the water-world structure. It is enchanted to help AC.

DAMIEN WORMWOOD DARKOMEN

---------------------------------------------------

Physical traits: Human. Black hair. Pale skin.

[] His winter gear has dark tones, but not black. “Real dark brown.”

[] A plain, 6 foot quarterstaff.

BLACKEE GREEN

------------------------

Physical traits: Half-elf. I don't know if you've heard, but he has a charisma of, uh, let me look this up here.. oh yeah, 19 (4th edition). Strength of 12 (4th edition.)

[] A “pet” known as Stargoyle, gifted by Bahamut. It isn't clear yet if Stargoyle is Blackee's familiar, but the two are quite close. Stargoyle has the shape of a 1 foot tall gargoyle, but is featureless. It appears as a silhouette, filled with black space dotted by stars. It can hiss, chirp and meep; and is sometimes found perched on Blackee's shoulder.

[] A rod of lightning. I didn't come across the description of this one.

[] A “tuning fork”-like device, gifted by Bahamut. This has been attached to the end of Blackee's lightning rod. When the rod is activated, two lightning strikes are produced, one from each prong of the tuning-fork.

[] A normal, low-quality dagger looted from the water-world structure.

[] Supple, leather boots looted from the water-world structure.

[] Runed, leather armor looted from the water-world structure. He has his normal clothing underneath.

[] A normal, broad sword.

BARTHACHET BURAL

-------------------------------

Physical traits: Dragonborn. Strength is “high”. Charisma is “low”. His manifest trait is breath-weapon rather than glide/flight, therefore he does not have any wings. Not any functional wings, anyway. Almost all dragonborn appear noble, as they are servants of the dragon god, Bahamut (one wonders why he and Sir Richard haven't talked about this.)

[] A half helmet, gifted from Bahamut. This is a plate “jaw”, which clamps around the neck, and is of the same style as Mildred's and Richard's armor gifts. It has stylized teeth. There are two holes on either side of the jaw, which jet out some substance in front of Bart's mouth when he breathes, enhancing his breath weapon to be white hot, increasing damage and range.

[] Skin armor, gifted from Bahamut. It looks like shed skin from a dragonborn. It appears thin and flimsy, but Bart can not rip it even with his strength.

[] A short, purple robe which goes down to the butt, looted from the necromancer's treasure chest. Described as being similar to Lando's robe but with shoulders and a hood.

[] A sword. Like other players, it's probably a broadsword, looted from various collector guards. I haven't confirmed this.

SIR RICHARD

-------------------

Physical traits: Human. VERY muscular, at a strength of 20 (4th edition.) His left hand and left leg are made of light, “You can only see the outline, there's no, like, shape to them. It just seems like they are made of light.”

[] A single gauntlet which fits over his hand of light, gifted by Bahamut. The palm has a glass disk, which can focus the light from his hand into a 3 inch beam. The gauntlet has the same style as Mildred's and Bart's Bahamut armor.

[] Chain mail looted from a structure in the water-world. It is polished to a mirror.

[] Water elemental lord's crown. It is shimmering and spired.

[] One of two, matching knives looted from the necromancer's treasure chest. The second knife was left on the party's crashed ship.

[] A normal broadsword.

The party also took Amarthamon's special gear, in case a future party member ever needs it. His gifts from Bahamut were:

[] A He-Man style harness, with a disk of metal over the chest. When thought-activated, micro-thin sheets of metal unwrap to cover his whole body.

[] A great axe. It looks special.

• Like 12

Yeah to me it has always been a band of jovial types who live in a dark world but take it with stride.

Yup. It's always been D&D in a nutshell to me, and the main reason I love rpgs still.

So I've been entertaining the thought of doing some character illustrations. To this end, yesterday I spent too much time on “research” to find out what gear the characters have. To save anyone else the trouble of having to figure this out, I thought it would be a helpful gesture to post my findings here. Please add and correct this list with your own knowledge, it'll help us all.

The episodes I looked into were the ones which memory served as being episodes which involved the characters finding (current) gear, or which had a character being introduced for the first time. These were episodes 1, 16, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 48 and 53.

ALL CHARACTERS:

---------------------------

[] “Sparklet” water-breathing necklaces. These are fine necklaces with a bead of water which slides along the length of the necklace with gravity, as a droplet would. This item is mentally triggered to have the droplet expand into a “water bag” around the character's head.

[] Winter clothing, looted from a village in a snow environment.

MILDRED MAXTON

----------------------------

Physical traits: Dwarf. She has some muscle (strength of 14 (2nd edition)). Her charisma is slightly above average at 13 (4th edition.. so I would venture to guess that the 2nd ed value is 12 or 13.) Don't be fooled by episode 1's suggestion that her CHA is 6, that's actually her wisdom. When they were looting the water world structure, Sarah clarified that Mildred's CHA is 13.

[] War hammer gifted by Bahamut. This looks similar to her old war hammer, with familiar nicks etc, but refurbished. It has a new head.

[] Plate mail gifted by Bahamut. This is a series of plates which cover only one arm, inclusive of her shoulder. It has a rail along the outside of her forearm, from elbow to wrist. A little disk is on the rail. If the disk is slid down and snapped in place on the outside of her wrist, a 4 inch, mirror-like disk appears. It has has an oil-spill, rainbow tint to it. This shield can be slid around onto her back or onto her wrist. There's some ambiguous description on the size of this shield... it's initially described as being 4 inches, and a few sentences later it is compared to a riot shield. I'm guessing that the “4 inches” is an initial projection, perhaps matching the size of the metal disk mechanism along the rails, and then it expands. But this is conjecture.

[] Chain mail looted from a water-world structure. It is “brighter than it should be.”

[] A fancy hat of detect lie. She hasn't normally been wearing this. I didn't find the episode where she acquired this (it was in the tower-planet I think), but I remember it as being very gaudy.

[] A featureless, silver ring looted from the water-world structure. It is enchanted to help ranged attacks.

[] A silver choker or necklace looted from the water-world structure. It is enchanted to help AC.

DAMIEN WORMWOOD DARKOMEN

---------------------------------------------------

Physical traits: Human. Black hair. Pale skin.

[] His winter gear has dark tones, but not black. “Real dark brown.”

[] A plain, 6 foot quarterstaff.

BLACKEE GREEN

------------------------

Physical traits: Half-elf. I don't know if you've heard, but he has a charisma of, uh, let me look this up here.. oh yeah, 19 (4th edition). Strength of 12 (4th edition.)

[] A “pet” known as Stargoyle, gifted by Bahamut. It isn't clear yet if Stargoyle is Blackee's familiar, but the two are quite close. Stargoyle has the shape of a 1 foot tall gargoyle, but is featureless. It appears as a silhouette, filled with black space dotted by stars. It can hiss, chirp and meep; and is sometimes found perched on Blackee's shoulder.

[] A rod of lightning. I didn't come across the description of this one.

[] A “tuning fork”-like device, gifted by Bahamut. This has been attached to the end of Blackee's lightning rod. When the rod is activated, two lightning strikes are produced, one from each prong of the tuning-fork.

[] A normal, low-quality dagger looted from the water-world structure.

[] Supple, leather boots looted from the water-world structure.

[] Runed, leather armor looted from the water-world structure. He has his normal clothing underneath.

[] A normal, broad sword.

BARTHACHET BURAL

-------------------------------

Physical traits: Dragonborn. Strength is “high”. Charisma is “low”. His manifest trait is breath-weapon rather than glide/flight, therefore he does not have any wings. Not any functional wings, anyway. Almost all dragonborn appear noble, as they are servants of the dragon god, Bahamut (one wonders why he and Sir Richard haven't talked about this.)

[] A half helmet, gifted from Bahamut. This is a plate “jaw”, which clamps around the neck, and is of the same style as Mildred's and Richard's armor gifts. It has stylized teeth. There are two holes on either side of the jaw, which jet out some substance in front of Bart's mouth when he breathes, enhancing his breath weapon to be white hot, increasing damage and range.

[] Skin armor, gifted from Bahamut. It looks like shed skin from a dragonborn. It appears thin and flimsy, but Bart can not rip it even with his strength.

[] A short, purple robe which goes down to the butt, looted from the necromancer's treasure chest. Described as being similar to Lando's robe but with shoulders and a hood.

[] A sword. Like other players, it's probably a broadsword, looted from various collector guards. I haven't confirmed this.

SIR RICHARD

-------------------

Physical traits: Human. VERY muscular, at a strength of 20 (4th edition.) His left hand and left leg are made of light, “You can only see the outline, there's no, like, shape to them. It just seems like they are made of light.”

[] A single gauntlet which fits over his hand of light, gifted by Bahamut. The palm has a glass disk, which can focus the light from his hand into a 3 inch beam. The gauntlet has the same style as Mildred's and Bart's Bahamut armor.

[] Chain mail looted from a structure in the water-world. It is polished to a mirror.

[] Water elemental lord's crown. It is shimmering and spired.

[] One of two, matching knives looted from the necromancer's treasure chest. The second knife was left on the party's crashed ship.

[] A normal broadsword.

The party also took Amarthamon's special gear, in case a future party member ever needs it. His gifts from Bahamut were:

[] A He-Man style harness, with a disk of metal over the chest. When thought-activated, micro-thin sheets of metal unwrap to cover his whole body.

[] A great axe. It looks special.

Hahaha! A Herculean task, worthy of the Gods of the Internet. Where was this when I needed it a few weeks ago?:) But seriously, you should post this in the other forums. Sometimes it seems like even our dear players don't know what gear they have. I can't remember if Mildred has ever even used her new hammer. Didn't she use a greatsword against the 'Battle Bot'?

Anyway, great job, you crazy s.o.b:)

• Like 2

Hahaha! A Herculean task, worthy of the Gods of the Internet. Where was this when I needed it a few weeks ago? :) But seriously, you should post this in the other forums. Sometimes it seems like even our dear players don't know what gear they have. I can't remember if Mildred has ever even used her new hammer. Didn't she use a greatsword against the 'Battle Bot'?

Anyway, great job, you crazy s.o.b:)

Thank you, you astoundingly skilled s.o.b.!

hey Rashid, this list is awesome. Is there a way to add to it or make it into a different thread on here? I think it would be great to add skills into each character section. Like Damien mentioned that his Charisma is 14 in 2nd Edition in the most recent episode. Thanks for all the hard work and I'm sure re-listening to all those episodes was pretty awesome.

Thank you, you astoundingly skilled s.o.b.!

hey Rashid, this list is awesome. Is there a way to add to it or make it into a different thread on here? I think it would be great to add skills into each character section. Like Damien mentioned that his Charisma is 14 in 2nd Edition in the most recent episode. Thanks for all the hard work and I'm sure re-listening to all those episodes was pretty awesome.

Thanks AF.

In other forums I've seen where there's a "collected information" thread, the original poster edits the original post to reflect the community's contributions. Maybe I should have thought this through before posting all that up, but I'm realizing that I'd rather not have that responsibility. HOWEVER, if any brave hero out there in Earwolf-land would like to take on such a valiant quest, such a person would certainly have my blessing to copy-paste-edit-maul anything in my post into a new thread of their own.

I suppose it would also be ideal to list references for each bit of information, but unfortunately what I have written in my notebook doesn't provide that. Except for some of the characters' ability scores.

Re-listening to (or rather "scanning through") the 7 or so episodes was indeed awesome, but also created a bit of burn-out on the subject matter. I may need to wait a while before deciding whether or not to start any sketch work. Sark & Co are prolific!

• Like 2

Here's what I can do: If anyone is willing to start and maintain a thread of community contributions about the characters, then I'll go ahead and agree to gather up references for every piece of information which I've contributed. These references would consist of episode numbers and time stamps.

Having that kind of evidence to back the contributions would strengthen the data and possibly allow for conflicting contributions to co-exist without too much debate (as there probably will be inconsistencies in the actual game.) And folks can then look it up quite easily and suggest corrections to any possible misinterpretations by the contributor (me, in this case.) This would also allow the maintainer of the thread to quickly verify contributions before adding them to the original post.

Y'know, if that kind of thing would be helpful. Maybe it's too much detail, to be spoken in the nerdy voice the team sometimes uses, of course.

Edited by The Mighty Botch
  • Like 1

You forgot ( I think it was durring get to the chopper) the treasure room that Bart torched. I haven't listened to it in a couple of days ( I normaly have it in the background while I work). But that's when Mildred got her lie hat and I think Sir Dick got some robes from a dead Glennishmorean king. Also some necklaces and rings were taken.

• Like 1

You forgot ( I think it was durring get to the chopper) the treasure room that Bart torched. I haven't listened to it in a couple of days ( I normaly have it in the background while I work). But that's when Mildred got her lie hat and I think Sir Dick got some robes from a dead Glennishmorean king. Also some necklaces and rings were taken.

Ah. Thanks for the lead, Leondarkfire. A quick scan during breakfast today found that scene in the following installment, "Double Time" around 53:00.

Mildred: A floppy, fancy, velveteen, nobleman's hat of detect-lie. It looks like a posh baker's hat. "It looks ridiculous." Flops to the side.

Sir Richard: A magic ring on his non-gauntlet hand, unknown enchantment. It belonged to a fallen ruler of a land neighboring Glenishmoor. Plus a non-magic robe from the same ruler.

Blackee Green: Two magic rings.

Bart: a magic, gaudy, bejeweled necklace. A non-magic cape with an 18 inch scoop collar, frilled with tassels.

Amarth: A magic, gaudy, bejeweled necklace (worn as a bracelet because he's huge.)

All of the items except for the hat are very tasteful & classy. (That later description overwrites the earlier description of the necklaces being "gaudy", probably.)

Ah. Thanks for the lead, Leondarkfire. A quick scan during breakfast today found that scene in the following installment, "Double Time" around 53:00.

Mildred: A floppy, fancy, velveteen, nobleman's hat of detect-lie. It looks like a posh baker's hat. "It looks ridiculous." Flops to the side.

Sir Richard: A magic ring on his non-gauntlet hand, unknown enchantment. It belonged to a fallen ruler of a land neighboring Glenishmoor. Plus a non-magic robe from the same ruler.

Blackee Green: Two magic rings.

Bart: a magic, gaudy, bejeweled necklace. A non-magic cape with an 18 inch scoop collar, frilled with tassels.

Amarth: A magic, gaudy, bejeweled necklace (worn as a bracelet because he's huge.)

All of the items except for the hat are very tasteful & classy. (That later description overwrites the earlier description of the necklaces being "gaudy", probably.)

You're doing great work. But couldn't we just ask the crew to take a picure of their character sheet? They probably have their stats and gear written down...

• Like 1

Seems like a good idea for the charicter loadout thread to get scaned charicter sheets to me.

And maybe a few of Sark's weiner shaped maps.

Seems like a good idea for the charicter loadout thread to get scaned charicter sheets to me.

And maybe a few of Sark's weiner shaped maps.

You can probably find a simile for those maps online... All shapes and sizes.

• Like 1

You're doing great work. But couldn't we just ask the crew to take a picure of their character sheet? They probably have their stats and gear written down...

Yup. I just didn't want to impose, and I figured more description would be available from the audio. No harm in asking, though. You're idea of taking pictures is a good one, I had imagined taking scans but since they often have a camera in the studio anyway that would be much easier.

photo2.jpg

I call this "Sir Richard in Mourning"

Great and funny:) He's pouring one out for his homies:)

The best part is the smiles on everyones faces...

Damian's the most classic, the hint of a smile. And the fact his hand is in his pocket.....

Ha

You should totes make more of these, TheresNoPlaceLikeGlennishmore. :) Join our artist's guild. But stay in school, bud! :P

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel like this thread needs to climax in some sort of amazing collaborative Nerd Poker fan-comic/zine?

Heck, if Sark felt like getting involved we could make canonical asides/vignette/flashback strips. And let's not forget that Gerry and Brian are pretty kick-ass comics writers in their own right... (putting aside for the moment that of course all the NP crew obviously have lives/paying jobs to be getting on with)

Even if it was just fancomics for the sake of fancomics and not an 'official' thing in any way I feel like it could be fun...

Amazing, these drawings really influence the imagination. The dwarves are so much more badass than the gardengnomes i was picturing.

Btw, i'd buy a poster/painting of that "townfire" environmental.

Who goes there!?

The dwarven wolf-scout party emerges.

11393633475_84a035c405_c.jpg

higher res http://farm8.staticf...394311fc1_o.jpg

This adventure just took a turn for the awesome! I can't think of a single story that couldn't be improved by adding more badass dwarves. Strap yourselves in folks. I see some serious drinking and fighting in this podcasts future:)

Why are the Swedes the greatest people on earth?

Holy shit this is amazing. I feel like we need to pay you for your service of drawing these incredible pictures each week...

You're probably the best artist I've ever witnessed.